Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing out from the back? 14:44 - Feb 4 with 2144 viewsconnell10

Why have we started trying this again?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Playing out from the back? on 15:12 - Feb 4 with 2104 viewsfrancisbowles

Because the alternative is lumping it down the pitch where Wells is not big enough to challenge giants and it comes straight back. The other option is wide to the half way line but teams are wise to this too and Lumley's kicking is a bit erratic.
Playing out from the back? on 15:39 - Feb 4 with 2064 viewsconnell10

Playing out from the back? on 15:12 - Feb 4 by francisbowles

Because the alternative is lumping it down the pitch where Wells is not big enough to challenge giants and it comes straight back. The other option is wide to the half way line but teams are wise to this too and Lumley's kicking is a bit erratic.

So if teams high press us we are basically f ucked!

Playing out from the back? on 16:14 - Feb 4 with 2011 viewsStanisgod

Better off losing the ball in your opponents half than your own surely.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Playing out from the back? on 16:19 - Feb 4 with 1996 viewsconnell10

Playing out from the back? on 16:14 - Feb 4 by Stanisgod

Better off losing the ball in your opponents half than your own surely.

Exactly mate , we tryed fannying about at the back at the start of the season and it was a diaster!

Playing out from the back? on 16:26 - Feb 4 with 1979 viewsNorthernr

I don't think we ever really went away from it, but it is suddenly much more pronounced and forced now - trying it when it's not on for the sake of trying it, only to knock it back to Lumley for him to boot it forward anyway. Perhaps we're only noticing it more now because it's Scowen and Cousins rather than Luongo and Cameron and they're bloody dreadful at being the first receiver.

It got stupid in the first half on Saturday, absolutely suicidal.
Playing out from the back? on 16:57 - Feb 4 with 1920 viewsAntti_Heinola

Playing out from the back? on 16:26 - Feb 4 by Northernr

I don't think we ever really went away from it, but it is suddenly much more pronounced and forced now - trying it when it's not on for the sake of trying it, only to knock it back to Lumley for him to boot it forward anyway. Perhaps we're only noticing it more now because it's Scowen and Cousins rather than Luongo and Cameron and they're bloody dreadful at being the first receiver.

It got stupid in the first half on Saturday, absolutely suicidal.

yeah it never went away, really. We were just doing it more sensibly and not every time. Someone said we hadn't done it since early on in the season, but every game L&L split at goal kicks and look for a ball. Fine if it's on, but lately we seem to be doing it all the time.

One reason Pav may be keeping his place despite patchy form (and being second top scorer) is that he's one of the few players in the current side who can win headers.

Bare bones.

Playing out from the back? on 17:31 - Feb 4 with 1850 viewsdaveB

We've been doing it since the Reading game a lot more than in the 10 games before that and no shock we haven't won since. Back 4 and midfield just not good enough to play this way
Playing out from the back? on 19:08 - Feb 4 with 1761 viewsJigsore

If injuries mean we can't play out from the back like we have a lot this season then we're going to have to find a way to get Matt Smith in the team what with Hemed out. And find a way of playing people off him so he isn't completely isolated

however Luongos back so or ball retention in midfield should hopefully improve and that won't be necessary. I think we'll play better tomorrow.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Login to get fewer ads

Playing out from the back? on 20:33 - Feb 4 with 1645 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The first principle of playing the ball out short is to pass it to a player facing up the pitch so he can see where the danger is and where his next pass is.

This is where we really need to do some work, too often it's Lumley passing out the holding midfielder who's got his back to the open pitch.

Second principle is pass it out wide. Lose it out there and it least you've cover in the middle. Lose it in the middle and they're in on goal.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Playing out from the back? on 23:40 - Feb 4 with 1450 viewsLazyFan

Playing out from the back? on 15:12 - Feb 4 by francisbowles

But we used to lump it to Furlong when he came back into the side.
And that sort of worked even when sometimes the oppo clocked on. Not everytime though.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Playing out from the back? on 01:04 - Feb 5 with 1399 viewsDavieQPR

Just need to vary it a bit more.
Playing out from the back? on 08:37 - Feb 5 with 1324 viewssmegma

We started doing it yesterday in the under 23s. We were 3 nil down on 23 minutes. Yet they still persisted. Finished 3-6 in the end. Anyone at the club wonder WHY ???
Playing out from the back? on 08:41 - Feb 5 with 1320 viewsconnell10

Playing out from the back? on 08:37 - Feb 5 by smegma

We started doing it yesterday in the under 23s. We were 3 nil down on 23 minutes. Yet they still persisted. Finished 3-6 in the end. Anyone at the club wonder WHY ???

Totally agree mate , it must be something they are are trying to do throughout the whole of the youth teams to the first team , but unless you have the players to do this its pointless!

Playing out from the back? on 08:51 - Feb 5 with 1312 viewsHantsR

Playing out from the back? on 16:57 - Feb 4 by Antti_Heinola

yeah it never went away, really. We were just doing it more sensibly and not every time. Someone said we hadn't done it since early on in the season, but every game L&L split at goal kicks and look for a ball. Fine if it's on, but lately we seem to be doing it all the time.

One reason Pav may be keeping his place despite patchy form (and being second top scorer) is that he's one of the few players in the current side who can win headers.

That was the theory re Pav but the Preston No 16 beat him every time. Furlong was a little more successful but Preston managed to crowd him out. I don't have stats but it seemed to me that at Pompey in particular, a lot of goal kicks went straight into touch anyway.
Playing out from the back? on 10:23 - Feb 5 with 1259 viewsAntti_Heinola

Playing out from the back? on 08:37 - Feb 5 by smegma

Maybe because for a very young side they think it's best for their development to keep trying to play a certain way, rather than just abandoning it? I don't think scores matter at that level and it's much more about trying to learn and improve. I think it was Ramsey who said they'll deliberately put players out of position against tough opponents at younger levels deliberately to make them work harder and learn more.
Now that lesson may be, as you say, stop playing it short in some cases! But if that's the way they want future first teamers to play, the only and best way to practise that and to get good at it is in actual games like this.

Bare bones.

Playing out from the back? on 10:56 - Feb 5 with 1226 viewssmegma

Playing out from the back? on 10:23 - Feb 5 by Antti_Heinola

Maybe because for a very young side they think it's best for their development to keep trying to play a certain way, rather than just abandoning it? I don't think scores matter at that level and it's much more about trying to learn and improve. I think it was Ramsey who said they'll deliberately put players out of position against tough opponents at younger levels deliberately to make them work harder and learn more.
Now that lesson may be, as you say, stop playing it short in some cases! But if that's the way they want future first teamers to play, the only and best way to practise that and to get good at it is in actual games like this.

That's all well and good but we were originally talking about the first team. I'm reminded of the adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Well it's clearly broke at the moment. We've just lost 3 league games on the trot so it clearly isn't working. The first team is certainly about winning. Unless we want to play in League 1 come August. Also, the under 23s have lost all 4 games this year playing like this. Prior to the new year we were unbeaten in 9 games going back 3 months. But then we also had Oteh upfront.
Playing out from the back? on 10:56 - Feb 5 with 1226 viewsswisscottage

One of the other reasons it doesn't work for us is we use three players, two centre backs and a defensive non-ball playing midfielder whereas other teams create more receiving options and make it more difficult to press using a minimum of 4 and sometimes 5 players.

Now if the idea is to pretend to play it out from the back to create space in behind the oppo pressers passing back to Lumley to then launch forward then it would be a reasonable tactic if we're properly prepared for when the ball comes straight back.

However at the moment its just a complete shambles and we'd be better off with Lumley kicking for touch in line with the oppositions 18 yard box.
Playing out from the back? on 12:15 - Feb 5 with 1127 viewsAntti_Heinola

Playing out from the back? on 10:56 - Feb 5 by smegma

That's all well and good but we were originally talking about the first team. I'm reminded of the adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Well it's clearly broke at the moment. We've just lost 3 league games on the trot so it clearly isn't working. The first team is certainly about winning. Unless we want to play in League 1 come August. Also, the under 23s have lost all 4 games this year playing like this. Prior to the new year we were unbeaten in 9 games going back 3 months. But then we also had Oteh upfront.

totally agree with that. We shouldn't stop it altogether, but it needs to be varied. At the moment, our GKs are almost a passport to giving the ball away and we need that to change. No arguments there.

Bare bones.

Playing out from the back? on 14:52 - Feb 5 with 1031 viewssmegma

Playing out from the back? on 12:15 - Feb 5 by Antti_Heinola

totally agree with that. We shouldn't stop it altogether, but it needs to be varied. At the moment, our GKs are almost a passport to giving the ball away and we need that to change. No arguments there.

Every manager with a brain cell works us out after 5 minutes and gets 3 players to press us High up the pitch. Its that simple.
Playing out from the back? on 17:14 - Feb 7 with 844 viewsconnell10

Didnt see much fannying about at the back against Pompey !

Playing out from the back? on 18:08 - Feb 7 with 804 viewsngbqpr

Playing out from the back? on 14:52 - Feb 5 by smegma

Every manager with a brain cell works us out after 5 minutes and gets 3 players to press us High up the pitch. Its that simple.

as we did against Brentford

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Playing out from the back? on 20:53 - Feb 7 with 719 viewsdaveB

Playing out from the back? on 17:14 - Feb 7 by connell10

Didnt see much fannying about at the back against Pompey !

and no shock that resulted in us playing better and winning
Playing out from the back? on 22:41 - Feb 7 with 670 viewsconnell10

Playing out from the back? on 20:53 - Feb 7 by daveB

and no shock that resulted in us playing better and winning

indeed mate, indeed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024