Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is the First Thing That Comes Into Your Head When You Think of Stan Bowles? 19:32 - Feb 4 with 5209 viewsDylanP

First off, I can never think about Stan without smiling (except when I think of the alzheimers, obviously). The sht he pulled off was hysterical -- both good and bad (or should I say, good and better?)

I sat in the Ellerslie Rd stand at the time, near to the corner, and I remember him wandering over to take a corner and stopping to chat with a fan at the front of the terrace and check his paper (we all assumed he was looking up races for a bit of half time betting).

When I think of Stan and football, the word "gliding" always comes to mind. I always think of gliding into the middle from out wide, gliding past players like they were stuck in the mud. And then slotting the ball into the net under the outstretched arms of a hapless seeming goalie. He always made it look easy.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

What is the First Thing That Comes Into Your Head When You Think of Stan Bowles? on 19:14 - Feb 5 with 655 viewsHantsR

His very first game for us. The buzz on the terraces was 'they reckon he's better than Rodney you know.'

He scored with his head and made another for Givens, I think.
What is the First Thing That Comes Into Your Head When You Think of Stan Bowles? on 19:23 - Feb 5 with 650 viewsDylanP

Brilliant stories and anecdotes. Exactly what I needed after the last few disappointing performances.

I've mentioned this before on this board but my first game was QPR vs Spurs at HQ in 1973. My Dad was a Spurs fan as a kid and even though we lived in Queens Park at the time, he wanted me to be a Spurs fan. QPR won 3-1 that day and Stan scored and was all-round untouchable. He was spectacular and I became an instant QPR fan and soon enough so did my Dad. We started getting season tickets in about 1977-8, when QPR had gone off the boil a bit and most of our really great players were passed it or gone. I think Stand left for Notts Forest in 1979. Anyhow, it all started for me with that Stanley magic.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 19:25]

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

What is the First Thing That Comes Into Your Head When You Think of Stan Bowles? on 22:00 - Feb 5 with 630 viewspaulascane

my old man used to be friends with Stan, and i used to go in the players bar after most games in the mid seventies. One day he came to a dinner party at our house. It was summer. Me and a few mates were so excited that he was coming, because he was god at the time. And when he arrived we all crowded around him for his attention... and he took us into the living room, picked up an orange from the fruit bowl, did some amazing tricks for about three or four minutes without the orange touching the floor, including heading it, controlling it on the back of his neck, etc etc... and then when he had enough volleyed the orange across the room and out through a small gap in the open window. It was truly amazing. He then said, ' right, leave me alone now, kids. I've had enough!... and went and got himself a drink and enjoyed the rest of his evening.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024