Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? 14:27 - Feb 5 with 26818 viewsrunningman75

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/qpr/joel-lynch-qprs-future-is-bright-a

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:37 - Feb 5 with 10111 viewsDando

Decent spells of form this season, but in my opinion is inconsistent clumsy and a liability overall.

Maybe that sounds harsh as hes improved to some degree, but its a no from me
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:40 - Feb 5 with 10087 viewsLblock

Yes

Give him a new deal that pays him for 10 and a half months a year.
No need to disturb the payroll clerk from mid November until the decorations are down

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:41 - Feb 5 with 10085 viewsfrancisbowles

We may find it difficult to find better on our budget. So maybe.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:43 - Feb 5 with 10082 viewstoboboly

No

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:47 - Feb 5 with 10064 viewsNorthernr

I would lean towards no. Wrong side of 30, injury prone, accident prone. I'm also not a big fan of players that suddenly up their game, effort and fitness after several years of crap just as their contract is about to end - Matthew Rose strung us along like that for the best part of ten years.

But it depends on what we think we could replace him with on the budget we have to work with.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:48 - Feb 5 with 10062 viewsconnell10

Nah

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:51 - Feb 5 with 10043 viewsNorthernr

Also got to remember that there are a lot of players out of contract this summer, and all the loans are going back. We won't be able to afford to replace them all like for like so there's going to be some tough decisions made somewhere down the line about who has to be kept and who is expendable. You'd say Bidwell is a must keep, but somebody like Pav who potentially could be replaced in house by Samuek, Smyth or Chair could be vulnerable.

Quite where Lynch would figure on that spectrum I'm not sure.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:55 - Feb 5 with 10029 viewsRblockPrior

For me yes but just, I would give him a year extension.He has showed glimpses this year of the player we thought we were signing, with Lynch like most he just lacks a bit of confidence

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

Login to get fewer ads

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:03 - Feb 5 with 10000 viewsWestbourneR

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:47 - Feb 5 by Northernr

I would lean towards no. Wrong side of 30, injury prone, accident prone. I'm also not a big fan of players that suddenly up their game, effort and fitness after several years of crap just as their contract is about to end - Matthew Rose strung us along like that for the best part of ten years.

But it depends on what we think we could replace him with on the budget we have to work with.

I'm quite surprised by the number of 'no' responses to this.

Considering we don't have any cash I am not sure we can let a good Championship centre back just leave on a free when we'd need to replace him.

I'd say he's worth another two years.

He's been a ever present in a back line that (until recently) was keeping the goals out very effectively.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:21 - Feb 5 with 9947 viewsvegasranger

No. He's way too slow and the wrong side of 30. He is only going to get worse. It looks like we still pay well if you look at the situation with Millwall not being able to afford Matt Smiths wages.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:26 - Feb 5 with 9925 viewsNorthernr

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:03 - Feb 5 by WestbourneR

I'm quite surprised by the number of 'no' responses to this.

Considering we don't have any cash I am not sure we can let a good Championship centre back just leave on a free when we'd need to replace him.

I'd say he's worth another two years.

He's been a ever present in a back line that (until recently) was keeping the goals out very effectively.

A "good Championship centre back" would be a significant improvement.
To replace Lynch we'd only need to be able to afford a mediocre one prone to brain farts at key moments in games.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:31 - Feb 5 with 9907 viewsWestbourneR

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:26 - Feb 5 by Northernr

A "good Championship centre back" would be a significant improvement.
To replace Lynch we'd only need to be able to afford a mediocre one prone to brain farts at key moments in games.

Ok.

Lynches are ten a penny - easy peasy - I look forward to seeing we bring in for zero £ who is better.

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:39 - Feb 5 with 9875 viewsWadR

Not really bothered either way. He's been fine this season overall with an excellent few months September - November but as Clive says, he's over 30 and generally been unreliable over his 3 years here.

Maybe he's played his way out of our price range, but would love us to sign Ethan Pinnock. Left sided, 25, Londoner and been one of the best defenders in League 1 this season. Really liked the look of him when he was playing for Dulwich Hamlet a couple of years ago and had hoped he was on our radar either when he signed for Forest Green or Barnsley.

Pinnock, Curtis Tilt, Matt Clarke - there are a lot of alternatives out there who are younger and with a higher ceiling than Lynch.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:43 - Feb 5 with 9860 viewsDando

Surely a player should earn a new deal. Not sure what Lynch has really achieved with us apart from a handful of good games this year when the rest of the side were also performing well.

Gives far too many needless free kicks away
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 16:02 - Feb 5 with 9810 viewsNorthernr

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 15:31 - Feb 5 by WestbourneR

Ok.

Lynches are ten a penny - easy peasy - I look forward to seeing we bring in for zero £ who is better.

Well that's not what I said at all, and also ignores my first post which finished

"But it depends on what we think we could replace him with on the budget we have to work with."
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 16:09 - Feb 5 with 9783 viewsBostonR

Show him the door. Would gladly take Deji Oshilaja from Wimbledon or any of the Preston centre-backs to replace him.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 16:18 - Feb 5 with 9755 viewsWestbourneR

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 16:02 - Feb 5 by Northernr

Well that's not what I said at all, and also ignores my first post which finished

"But it depends on what we think we could replace him with on the budget we have to work with."

Ok this one is going round in circles because my response in direct reply to that very point.

We know money is going to be tight and any cash we do have is likely to be needed to be spent on a striker.

With that in mind can we really afford to let a decent centre back, who has has demonstrated he is good enough to form a reliable defence as this level, leave on a free? (caveat caveat caveat, one thing this board has taught me is never omit the caveats)

We'd just likely need to spend money to replace him and with Baptiste almost certainly going and Hall looking like his injuries might well get the better of him - I think releasing Lynch on free would be poor squad management and poor value.

He may be far from perfect but he has qualities. At the end of the day he's been McLaren's first choice centre back from the moment he arrived. You don't generally let your first choice CB go at the age of 31 unless he's on Onouha money and I very much doubt Lynch is.

So that's my reasoning and my reply to your point North. Not an argument just my assessment.

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 17:19 - Feb 5 with 9655 viewsDavieQPR

It's not a case of letting him go on a free. It's can we get the same for less wages. There will be loads of players with no contracts due to FFP. We signed Lynch at a time when money was not so tight and would imagine him to be one of our top earners. Yes if less money.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 17:23 - Feb 5 with 9651 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 14:55 - Feb 5 by RblockPrior

For me yes but just, I would give him a year extension.He has showed glimpses this year of the player we thought we were signing, with Lynch like most he just lacks a bit of confidence

Good point. An offer of a one-year deal is probably likely.

Ideally, I'd like more pace at the back so we could push the back line up the pitch when in possession, but fast centre-backs are hard to find on our budget, let alone fast centre-backs on a free. We also have no-one ready to step up from the Under-23's, most likely.

If he's playing well in a contract year then a one-year deal should elicit the same response from him next year. I can see that being the offer. Whether he accepts it or not is another thing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 17:33 - Feb 5 with 9629 viewsPunteR

At 31 i wouldn't write him off just yet. Plenty more years left in him imo. Last few games aside him and Leistner have formed a good partnership and are pretty solid from the games and highlights i've seen. He's experienced and we will be crying out for that in the next couple of seasons. He's a decent enough for this level.
His attitude has been called into question especially round xmas time but i suspect Ferdinand will be on his case from that point of view. On the pitch i cant see a valuable reason to let him go. A younger better player will obviously cost more and i dont think its an area of the pitch we're especially weak and needs improving. Perhaps im wrong.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 17:40 - Feb 5 with 9613 viewsMancR

It's an absolute No from me. He will be on a pretty good contract at the moment, so should be easily replaceable with a younger, hungrier, better young centre half from the lower leagues.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 17:43 - Feb 5 with 9608 viewsdaveB

a lot depends on his wages, I reckon he'll be on good money so I think he'll be leaving
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 17:56 - Feb 5 with 9584 viewsjonno

I don't rate him at Championship level, makes too many mistakes. I'd prefer to see if we can get a younger CB from a lower league who McLaren can improve. Would be cheaper on wages and a possibility of selling on at a profit later.
Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 17:56 - Feb 5 with 9585 viewsAntti_Heinola

Really tough one. not as bad as many have suggested, but also hasn't been the signing I hoped he would be. Age - not worried. Wasn't that long ago the club was being berated for not giving a 39-year-old CB another deal. 31 is not a lot for a CB, who often have indian summers. I'm with Clive - very much depends who we can line up. We will probably need a CB this summer regardless. And the RB slot is also an issue. And Lynch is pretty much our only possible cover at left back.

Much work to be done, and not much money to do it with. Suspect he'll stay if terms can be agreed. He may have to take a cut, I imagine, so he may get a better offer.

Bare bones.

Should Joel Lynch get a new deal? on 18:29 - Feb 5 with 9534 viewsVancouverHoop

If it's working central defence is the last place you should mess about with. On balance Leistner and Lynch have a decent partnership. Yes they're slow, but I don't think age is much of a problem in that position. If he can be signed for reasonable money we should do it, but we do need to prepare a potential replacement, whether it's Furlong moving over or someone else.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024