Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referee! - Portsmouth 12:18 - Feb 6 with 1442 viewsPinnerPaul

Thought he did OK - considering he is an up and coming PL ref, I thought there were one or two things that he could have avoided

1) Smith got hauled down in the 'D' and he waved adavantage - the ball was wide and we were being challenged. That, for me, is NOT an advantage. Think he had his PL hat on there where ANY possession is considered advantage - which works if you're Man City et al, but didn't apply last night

2) 2 yellows looked spot on to me and don't think he missed any others

3) A few 'on trend' pointings at a possible foul , followed by a thumbs up to player 'fouled' - what is that all about - again you see it a lot in the PL - doesn't achieve anything

4) He did TRY to manage our timewasting, and he did have a word with Freeman about it - but as we've said before no real action taken nor time added on really

Otherwise a quiet night for the officials.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 12:57 - Feb 6 with 1363 viewsJuzzie

Towards the end one of our players (can't remember who) broke through in the centre circle and got fouled. Yet the ref didn't give anything.
Why would our player go down on his own if he then only had the keeper to beat thereafter?
Referee! - Portsmouth on 13:19 - Feb 6 with 1308 viewsStanisgod

Referee! - Portsmouth on 12:57 - Feb 6 by Juzzie

Towards the end one of our players (can't remember who) broke through in the centre circle and got fouled. Yet the ref didn't give anything.
Why would our player go down on his own if he then only had the keeper to beat thereafter?

Thought he wasn't bad but I did think he let too much shirt pulling go, there was a lot from Pompey and some of it was right in front of him. Also quite a few fouls ignored, I'm all for lettng the game flow but some of what he let go was ridiculous.
Having said that a lot better than the dross we've had lately.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Referee! - Portsmouth on 13:38 - Feb 6 with 1262 viewsNW5Hoop

It was Scowen. I think the referee's interpretation must have been that there was no way Scowen was going to get on the end of the ball he had toepoked past their player, and so he chose to run into him to get a free kick rather than go round him and follow the ball. As I recall, there weren't loads of arguments, so maybe he got it right.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 13:43 - Feb 6 with 1247 viewsloneranger1

Yep, that one was weird. I'm pretty sure it was Scowen.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:18 - Feb 6 with 1174 viewsoldmisery

Referee! - Portsmouth on 13:19 - Feb 6 by Stanisgod

Thought he wasn't bad but I did think he let too much shirt pulling go, there was a lot from Pompey and some of it was right in front of him. Also quite a few fouls ignored, I'm all for lettng the game flow but some of what he let go was ridiculous.
Having said that a lot better than the dross we've had lately.

Perhaps it's me but what the hell has Smith got to do to get a free kick? The Pompey central defenders were pulling his shirt all night and the referee chose to ignore it.
However they weren't the worst offenders. Their number nine, Hawkins, almost ripped Hall's shirt off on half a dozen occasions. If they had wanted to exchange shirts at the end of the game (does anyone still do that?) it would have been redundant as he probably had most of it in his hands anyway.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:23 - Feb 6 with 1168 viewsMick_S

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:18 - Feb 6 by oldmisery

Perhaps it's me but what the hell has Smith got to do to get a free kick? The Pompey central defenders were pulling his shirt all night and the referee chose to ignore it.
However they weren't the worst offenders. Their number nine, Hawkins, almost ripped Hall's shirt off on half a dozen occasions. If they had wanted to exchange shirts at the end of the game (does anyone still do that?) it would have been redundant as he probably had most of it in his hands anyway.

The commentators on Radio London were asking the same regarding Smith. Regarding Hawkins, anyone remember his Dad - Perivale boy, who managed North Greenford Utd ? (I think!).

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:25 - Feb 6 with 1157 viewsoldmisery

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:23 - Feb 6 by Mick_S

The commentators on Radio London were asking the same regarding Smith. Regarding Hawkins, anyone remember his Dad - Perivale boy, who managed North Greenford Utd ? (I think!).

I think Hawkins started off at North Greenford before moving to Hillingdon and then Northwood. Do you know if he was ever on our radar?
Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:28 - Feb 6 with 1142 viewsrobith

It was Scowen and rather than breaking into space looking to score, he ran full pelt into the defender trying to con a foul. It was super dumb and he deserved a telling off imo
Login to get fewer ads

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:29 - Feb 6 with 1141 viewsPinnerPaul

That was the Scowen block wasn't it?

Yes looked a foul to me - obviously judged that Scowen ran into him, but as you say, why would he do that?
Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:32 - Feb 6 with 1126 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:18 - Feb 6 by oldmisery

I noticed their number 9 moaning at ref at half time - presumably about not getting any free kicks!

I'm guessing he told him to look at Smith - at least he was consistent in not giving much to either!

Its difficult at this level, if you started giving free kicks for all holding/pulling the game would grind to a halt.

As long as a ref is consistent within the game, and I thought he was, I'm fine with that.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:33 - Feb 6 with 1120 viewsMick_S

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:25 - Feb 6 by oldmisery

I think Hawkins started off at North Greenford before moving to Hillingdon and then Northwood. Do you know if he was ever on our radar?

You are right there, OM. I don't know whether we ever looked at him, haven't seen his Dad for ages.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Referee! - Portsmouth on 15:27 - Feb 6 with 1056 viewsQPR_John

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:32 - Feb 6 by PinnerPaul

I noticed their number 9 moaning at ref at half time - presumably about not getting any free kicks!

I'm guessing he told him to look at Smith - at least he was consistent in not giving much to either!

Its difficult at this level, if you started giving free kicks for all holding/pulling the game would grind to a halt.

As long as a ref is consistent within the game, and I thought he was, I'm fine with that.

Consistency is one thing but surely being consistent in ignoring the laws of the game is not acceptable
Referee! - Portsmouth on 15:58 - Feb 6 with 1008 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! - Portsmouth on 15:27 - Feb 6 by QPR_John

Consistency is one thing but surely being consistent in ignoring the laws of the game is not acceptable

Yeah, fair point John, consistently bad isn't a thing to aim for!

However if you are going to give fks to Smith then it has to be even handed, Hawkins would have got a fair few as well - and then people would be saying its all about the ref!
Referee! - Portsmouth on 16:05 - Feb 6 with 999 viewsmylot50years

A breath of fresh air he ignored the usually cheating from both sides and let the game flow, unlike the normal standard we have to put up with week after week, that would have been stop start from the first whistle and ruining what turned out to be a competitive game between two sides endeavouring to win the game in 90minutes. David Coote could turn out to be a good referee a rare thing I know but that sort of performance leads to an exciting game which after all is what we pay to see.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 16:24 - Feb 6 with 964 viewsLongsufferingR

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:29 - Feb 6 by PinnerPaul

That was the Scowen block wasn't it?

Yes looked a foul to me - obviously judged that Scowen ran into him, but as you say, why would he do that?

My reaction at the time was that Scowen could easily have avoided him and was looking for a free kick. As it was late in the game, presumably he didn't fancy a 60 yard run on his own if he had simply carried on.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 17:04 - Feb 6 with 920 viewsoldmisery

Referee! - Portsmouth on 15:58 - Feb 6 by PinnerPaul

Yeah, fair point John, consistently bad isn't a thing to aim for!

However if you are going to give fks to Smith then it has to be even handed, Hawkins would have got a fair few as well - and then people would be saying its all about the ref!

Whilst I agree that the referee, to his credit, tried to keep the game flowing; had he been doing a better job he would have penalised Hawkins for consistently fouling Hall!
Referee! - Portsmouth on 18:27 - Feb 6 with 843 viewssmegma

Referee! - Portsmouth on 14:32 - Feb 6 by PinnerPaul

In the 20th minute we had a corner. As Smith challenged for a header, his shirt was pulled up to his neck by a defender and the woman next to me swooned at the sight of Smiths chest. That wasn't the ref being consistent, that was rank bad officiating. It happened a second time in the first half so the the ref was consistently bad. I thought he was poor .
[Post edited 6 Feb 2019 18:36]
Referee! - Portsmouth on 19:04 - Feb 6 with 807 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! - Portsmouth on 18:27 - Feb 6 by smegma

In the 20th minute we had a corner. As Smith challenged for a header, his shirt was pulled up to his neck by a defender and the woman next to me swooned at the sight of Smiths chest. That wasn't the ref being consistent, that was rank bad officiating. It happened a second time in the first half so the the ref was consistently bad. I thought he was poor .
[Post edited 6 Feb 2019 18:36]

Its all opinions - just think we don't see, or choose to ignore, what Lynch, Toni, Bids, Darnell and, last night Hall, get up to in our pen area.

I'm with 'mylot50yrs' above on this one.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 20:49 - Feb 6 with 709 viewsdachiltern

Player deliberately steps across Scowen, simple yellow.
Smith and otgers have their shirts pulled over their heads and no foul?
Referee gives thumbs up to player to acknowledge seen the incident asnd player is happy.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 21:08 - Feb 6 with 690 viewssmegma

Referee! - Portsmouth on 19:04 - Feb 6 by PinnerPaul

Its all opinions - just think we don't see, or choose to ignore, what Lynch, Toni, Bids, Darnell and, last night Hall, get up to in our pen area.

I'm with 'mylot50yrs' above on this one.

Name one incident in our box where Pompey could claim a penalty ???? Ive listed two times when a blatant foul was not awarded. Yet you still can't find it within yourself to criticise a fellow official.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 01:21 - Feb 7 with 570 viewsmylot50years

Referee! - Portsmouth on 21:08 - Feb 6 by smegma

Name one incident in our box where Pompey could claim a penalty ???? Ive listed two times when a blatant foul was not awarded. Yet you still can't find it within yourself to criticise a fellow official.

Fellow official ? Your having a laugh I hope.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 05:45 - Feb 7 with 536 viewsozranger

Smeg is 100% correct. You are blinded by the need to protect your profession and, perhaps, even under the guise of a pseudonym, the fear of not wanting to be exposed saying too much against it. I am sure that when you are at a game you tend to watch the referee more than the game, you know where he is and what his decision is. In your mind you play out his thoughts and the game itself becomes close to secondary. You criticise the players for their actions and growl at the managers who continuously complain when there is no need or they are actually wrong. I know, I have been there before and it takes some time to clear your mind from this disease. I used to referee at a quite high level in Australia back in the 90s and knew all of the top officials, some personally, and certainly each of the World Cup officials. Now I am cured and can watch the game for what it is worth, as a spectator interested in supporting my team or just watching the game for its own sake when I am out at a random non-league fixture on a cold Tuesday or Wednesday night. I am sure you will be able to get back to that some time in the future. But, for now, I feel you need to be guarded when defending officials as not only do you see the game from a quite different lens than most of us, but you are also somewhat blinded by that affiliation.
Referee! - Portsmouth on 09:55 - Feb 7 with 494 viewsPinnerPaul

I don't mind exchanging opinions but that is absolute nonsense.

READ my original post - I make 4 points - THREE of them criticise the referee!

Re the holding etc. again you haven't read what I've written.

To say we didn't do any holding is errant nonsense - what was Hawkins moaning about at half time then?
Referee! - Portsmouth on 09:56 - Feb 7 with 493 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! - Portsmouth on 01:21 - Feb 7 by mylot50years

Fellow official ? Your having a laugh I hope.

??????????
Referee! - Portsmouth on 09:58 - Feb 7 with 491 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! - Portsmouth on 05:45 - Feb 7 by ozranger

Smeg is 100% correct. You are blinded by the need to protect your profession and, perhaps, even under the guise of a pseudonym, the fear of not wanting to be exposed saying too much against it. I am sure that when you are at a game you tend to watch the referee more than the game, you know where he is and what his decision is. In your mind you play out his thoughts and the game itself becomes close to secondary. You criticise the players for their actions and growl at the managers who continuously complain when there is no need or they are actually wrong. I know, I have been there before and it takes some time to clear your mind from this disease. I used to referee at a quite high level in Australia back in the 90s and knew all of the top officials, some personally, and certainly each of the World Cup officials. Now I am cured and can watch the game for what it is worth, as a spectator interested in supporting my team or just watching the game for its own sake when I am out at a random non-league fixture on a cold Tuesday or Wednesday night. I am sure you will be able to get back to that some time in the future. But, for now, I feel you need to be guarded when defending officials as not only do you see the game from a quite different lens than most of us, but you are also somewhat blinded by that affiliation.

I repeat - I made 4 points above 3 were AGAINST the referee, I also thought the Scowen block was a foul and a yellow card - other fans didn't. nor did the referee!

Want to revise your rant?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024