Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smith going off... 22:16 - Feb 12 with 1852 viewsconnell10

.. turned the game. He had another good game!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smith going off... on 22:18 - Feb 12 with 1828 viewsdaveB

I thought them bringing on the player on the right changed the game, we never coped with him and gave him so much space to put in cross after cross before he finally scored.

Was amazed we did nothing to try and stop that, it was the only threat they had
Smith going off... on 22:22 - Feb 12 with 1775 viewsflynnbo

Smith going off... on 22:18 - Feb 12 by daveB

I thought them bringing on the player on the right changed the game, we never coped with him and gave him so much space to put in cross after cross before he finally scored.

Agreed, he was a constant threat.
Smith going off... on 22:22 - Feb 12 with 1766 viewstraininvain

Smith could barely run. He was clearly knackered and had to go off.

Dave’s right about their lad on the right who kept cutting back onto his left foot. We should’ve dealt with him better.

That and our inability to keep possession. Not just the midfield. Pavel was as guilty as anyone.
Smith going off... on 22:24 - Feb 12 with 1742 viewsconnell10

Smith going off... on 22:22 - Feb 12 by traininvain

Smith could barely run. He was clearly knackered and had to go off.

Dave’s right about their lad on the right who kept cutting back onto his left foot. We should’ve dealt with him better.

That and our inability to keep possession. Not just the midfield. Pavel was as guilty as anyone.

I’m not saying it was the wrong decision as your right he was knackered but we really missed him when he departed!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smith going off... on 22:52 - Feb 12 with 1611 viewsridethewave

In a game where we were being bombarded with crosses, Smith is too good defensively to be taken off, he was winning absolutely everything in our box from their set pieces.

In the end though we were outdone by an outstanding winger, and poor refereeing, as well as our own inability to clear the ball despite 10 attempts!
[Post edited 12 Feb 2019 22:53]
Smith going off... on 07:44 - Feb 13 with 1222 viewsLatticeR

Smith going off... on 22:52 - Feb 12 by ridethewave

In a game where we were being bombarded with crosses, Smith is too good defensively to be taken off, he was winning absolutely everything in our box from their set pieces.

In the end though we were outdone by an outstanding winger, and poor refereeing, as well as our own inability to clear the ball despite 10 attempts!
[Post edited 12 Feb 2019 22:53]

Personally I was baffled with the decision to send Eze on at 78 minutes when it was obvious Bidwell was being openly exposed by their 19 and we needed to dig in and see the game out. Why Manning was not brought on to help stifle the game is only a question SMC can answer
Smith going off... on 08:12 - Feb 13 with 1165 viewsozranger

It did appear, from Brian's commentary, that the match changed when Smith came off. I haven't seen the game nor the highlights but are we missing something here? Why are we not asking when one-nil up, with the defence being hounded we (a) chose to bring on Hemed for Smith and (b) didn't re-jig the defence back to four at the back?
Smith going off... on 08:36 - Feb 13 with 1126 viewsplasmahoop

Smith going off... on 08:12 - Feb 13 by ozranger

It did appear, from Brian's commentary, that the match changed when Smith came off. I haven't seen the game nor the highlights but are we missing something here? Why are we not asking when one-nil up, with the defence being hounded we (a) chose to bring on Hemed for Smith and (b) didn't re-jig the defence back to four at the back?

I suppose the logic for hemed on was you are hoping that he will be able to hold the ball up. But he didn't manage it much(or get much chance to) , and there were a few times when we got caught trying not to hoof it, when hoofing it would have been the best option.
As for going to aback four it was pretty much a flatback 5 anyway, but there was too much space in front of bidwell leaving him exposed
Login to get fewer ads

Smith going off... on 08:45 - Feb 13 with 1103 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Smith going off... on 22:18 - Feb 12 by daveB

Agree. Left me wondering why he didn't start for them.
Smith going off... on 09:05 - Feb 13 with 1064 viewsElHoop

Smith going off... on 07:44 - Feb 13 by LatticeR

Personally I was baffled with the decision to send Eze on at 78 minutes when it was obvious Bidwell was being openly exposed by their 19 and we needed to dig in and see the game out. Why Manning was not brought on to help stifle the game is only a question SMC can answer

I would have brought on Manning for Smith, instead of Hemed in fact. Can't see the point of bringing him back from Rotherham if he wasn't going to come on in a game like it was at 1-0 away from home. We had no cover at all for Bidwell. Manning would have done a job there surely?
[Post edited 13 Feb 2019 9:06]
Smith going off... on 09:23 - Feb 13 with 1000 viewstraininvain

Smith going off... on 09:05 - Feb 13 by ElHoop

I would have brought on Manning for Smith, instead of Hemed in fact. Can't see the point of bringing him back from Rotherham if he wasn't going to come on in a game like it was at 1-0 away from home. We had no cover at all for Bidwell. Manning would have done a job there surely?
[Post edited 13 Feb 2019 9:06]

Manning did himself no favours vs Portsmouth away. That was a big chance for him and he continuously gave the ball away all game so I can see why he wasn't the manager's go to choice on a night when we were already struggling to keep the ball.
Smith going off... on 09:26 - Feb 13 with 990 viewsstevec

Smith going off... on 08:36 - Feb 13 by plasmahoop

I suppose the logic for hemed on was you are hoping that he will be able to hold the ball up. But he didn't manage it much(or get much chance to) , and there were a few times when we got caught trying not to hoof it, when hoofing it would have been the best option.
As for going to aback four it was pretty much a flatback 5 anyway, but there was too much space in front of bidwell leaving him exposed

Hemed's game is running the channels so when we brought him on you'd think, even subliminally, the midfielders might just have got it into their heads to play any loose balls into the fckin channels and waste another minute or two.

Oh no.
Smith going off... on 09:38 - Feb 13 with 948 viewsElHoop

Smith going off... on 09:23 - Feb 13 by traininvain

Manning did himself no favours vs Portsmouth away. That was a big chance for him and he continuously gave the ball away all game so I can see why he wasn't the manager's go to choice on a night when we were already struggling to keep the ball.

Well that's fair enough, but I suppose that if we were already continually giving it away anyway (which we were) then at least filling some space would have reduced the options for Bristol? Eze was trying to hold the ball when he came on but there didn't seem to be many options open for him. We could have played Smith as an extra centre back - he was almost doing that at times anyway. It didn't seem very inventive in terms of dealing with the problems that Bristol were creating - they were rampant. You can't just blame the ref for 1-0 becoming 1-2 I'm afraid.
Smith going off... on 09:38 - Feb 13 with 948 viewsGalileo

Agree Manning would've offered Bidwell more protection and possibly have nullified the right winger who was making hay with the amount of space he had. Eze was not the right choice to be stuck out on the left, if he is to come on put him in the middle where there's much more chance he'll be able to get the ball and then hold onto it. Hemed as said is good at running channels, so why oh why did we keep throwing it up to him and watch him get beaten in the air every time bar twice. Havn't seen any replays but did Freeman pass up the opportunity to hit the ball down the line in the moments before they slung it into the box and gained the penalty ?
Smith going off... on 09:53 - Feb 13 with 913 viewsNorthernr

Subs made us worse. I thought Manning on down the left with Bidwell to stop that Eliasson running riot would have been a good idea too but apparently not.
Smith going off... on 10:01 - Feb 13 with 884 viewsdaveB

Smith going off... on 09:23 - Feb 13 by traininvain

Was he any worse than Scowen that game or Cousins in the Preston game, they both got another chance.

For me was more about get someone on the left to just block the winger off rather than let him have a free run every time, never seen a player have so much space, was like facing a free kick every time he got it wide
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024