Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Declan Rice 13:36 - Feb 14 with 4192 viewsTGRRRSSS

So he's finally shown his hand and declared for England and changed allegiance, not the first to do this and being London born and bred you can see why.

No doubt many will be pleased and many others here disappointed interesting to note far from the first, Costa and ZAha have both done this albeit perhaps in a different scenarios.
Declan Rice on 16:41 - Feb 14 with 976 viewsW7Ranger

Aren't a lot of the German team Austrian?
Declan Rice on 16:45 - Feb 14 with 967 viewstraininvain

Declan Rice on 16:41 - Feb 14 by W7Ranger

Aren't a lot of the German team Austrian?

Turkish.
Declan Rice on 16:47 - Feb 14 with 964 viewsW7Ranger

Also Switzerland v Albania in Euro 2016 was another weird one.

2 brothers on opposing sides. And a lot of the players on each side were born in the country they played against!
Declan Rice on 16:48 - Feb 14 with 963 viewsmakaveli1882

Declan Rice on 16:36 - Feb 14 by Galileo

England aren't immune from selecting those born overseas

Sterling
Hargreaves
Barnes
Butcher

sure there are plenty more.

Correct, but lets be honest some of these players raised in England went to English schools played for English county's in Sterlings case since he was 5.

Rice was born to English parents in England and probably went to Ireland on holiday once or twice. Then you have the likes of Andy Townsend from Bexley & Tony tony Cascarino who has not got a drop of Irish blood in him.
Declan Rice on 17:01 - Feb 14 with 934 viewsTGRRRSSS

Given he was born in Singapore, Butcher is a bit of a ridiculous one, he was brought up here, I think the essential issue here relates to Rice moving between via the friendlies rule making him unusual in this sense, talking about general people born in one country and representing another shouldnt be a big issue, but Jack Charlton exploited it too it's fullest and was successful in doing so.
Declan Rice on 17:03 - Feb 14 with 932 viewsW7Ranger

Ryan Giggs. Played for England Schoolboys.

Sometimes played for Wales when he felt like it.
Declan Rice on 17:09 - Feb 14 with 921 viewsTGRRRSSS

True but Giggs played for England Schoolboys and the rules were you played for the school your country was in regardless of your nationality .
No idea if this still applies.

I agree Giggs didn't serve Wales very well as a player but he always wanted to play for Wales and not England. SAd he allowed himself to be dictated to by Fergie and Man Yooo or maybe he couldnt be bothered.

Maybe a certain Karma bit him in that England were missing as left winger for so much of his prime and he never made a proper tournament (Olympics isnt really in football)
Declan Rice on 17:17 - Feb 14 with 903 viewsmakaveli1882

Declan Rice on 17:03 - Feb 14 by W7Ranger

Ryan Giggs. Played for England Schoolboys.

Sometimes played for Wales when he felt like it.

Bit of a myth this one, to be fair to Giggs he never wanted to play for England because he is Welsh

Born in Cardiff to Welsh parents, Giggs represented Wales at international level. As a youngster, Giggs captained England Schoolboys, but contrary to popular belief, he was never eligible for the full England team (eligibility at the schoolboy level depends solely upon the location of the school, in Giggs' case Moorside High School in Salford).[115] In October 2009, new rules were introduced for the Home Nations' associations that would have enabled Giggs to represent England had he not already represented Wales in an official competition,[116] but Giggs has always maintained that he would have chosen to play for Wales anyway; he stated in 2002, "I'd rather go through my career without qualifying for a major championship than play for a country where I wasn't born or which my parents didn't have anything to do with".
Login to get fewer ads

Declan Rice on 17:32 - Feb 14 with 892 viewsrsonist

Declan Rice on 16:28 - Feb 14 by robith

As an Ireland fan, I'm not massively disappointed. I was born in the UK and have an English accent so I'm not one to throw stones, and plus ROI are just of guilty of the same thing to young Northern Irish players. Better this than end up like Mark Lawrenson, playing for Ireland for convience then constantly calling England "we" as a pundit

Just confused from a practical level give how far down the path he'd gone - he'd be guaranteed to be a starting international for a decade for Ireland. Will he get 5 caps for England? Given how much leverage being an international gives you at contract negotiation he must really wanna try to play for England

I'm sure he'll have had plenty of encouragement from Southgate. There aren't too many powerful deep-lying ball winners who are tidy in possession, presently or at youth levels - only really Dier in direct competition who some might argue Rice is already equal to or even better than. (Winks is a rapidly improving option, but still a little different).

I'd generally say it's very hard to fashion watertight legislation for international allegiance when its only increasingly becoming an affair of the heart. I'm sure we're all going to regret watching David Brooks turning out for Wales (having won the u20 World Cup for England months before his first cap) but it's what he wanted at the end of the day.
Declan Rice on 17:33 - Feb 14 with 889 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Declan Rice on 16:28 - Feb 14 by robith

As an Ireland fan, I'm not massively disappointed. I was born in the UK and have an English accent so I'm not one to throw stones, and plus ROI are just of guilty of the same thing to young Northern Irish players. Better this than end up like Mark Lawrenson, playing for Ireland for convience then constantly calling England "we" as a pundit

Just confused from a practical level give how far down the path he'd gone - he'd be guaranteed to be a starting international for a decade for Ireland. Will he get 5 caps for England? Given how much leverage being an international gives you at contract negotiation he must really wanna try to play for England

I read he was coming under huge pressure at West ham to declare for England and sometimes that seals the deal.Its hard to argue against the logic that the financial opportunities that come with being an English international are far superior than ROI,Scotland Wales or NI.
As for getting called up by GS right away I think it depends or whether he sees Rice as a Defender or attacking Mid where he excels at WHU. Plus his paperwork has to be approved and that could take months
Declan Rice on 17:43 - Feb 14 with 882 viewsmakaveli1882

Declan Rice on 17:33 - Feb 14 by CLAREMAN1995

I read he was coming under huge pressure at West ham to declare for England and sometimes that seals the deal.Its hard to argue against the logic that the financial opportunities that come with being an English international are far superior than ROI,Scotland Wales or NI.
As for getting called up by GS right away I think it depends or whether he sees Rice as a Defender or attacking Mid where he excels at WHU. Plus his paperwork has to be approved and that could take months

Think he will be in the squad next month for games against Czech Republic and Montenegro.

Euro U21 tournament in June too which he may be involved in.
Declan Rice on 18:00 - Feb 14 with 865 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Declan Rice on 15:14 - Feb 14 by makaveli1882

List of Irish players who are not actually Irish.

England

John Aldridge
Harry Arter
Phil Babb
Leon Best
Keith Branagan
Gary Breen
Shay Brennan
Alex Bruce
Paul Butler
John Byrne
Lee Carsley
Tony Cascarino
Jeff Chandler
Cyrus Christie
Ciaran Clark
David Connolly
Simon Cox
Ronan Curtis
Liam Daish
Rory Delap
John Dempsey
Terry Donovan
Rob Elliot
Mickey Evans
Curtis Fleming
Caleb Folan
Kevin Foley
Tony Galvin
Jon Goodman
Tony Grealish
Paul Green
Austin Hayes
Ron Healey
Matt Holland
Chris Hughton
Mick Kearns
Alan Kelly, Jr.
David Kelly
Mark Kelly
Mick Kennedy
Paddy Kenny
Richard Keogh
Alan Kernaghan
Dean Kiely
Kevin Kilbane
Liam Lawrence
Mark Lawrenson
Jon Macken
Seán Maguire
Terry Mancini
Jason McAteer
Mick McCarthy
Jim McDonagh
David McGoldrick
Eddie McGoldrick
Paul McGrath
Alan McLoughlin
Stephen McPhail
Mike Milligan
Chris Morris
Clinton Morrison
Jerry Murphy
Aiden O'Brien
Andy O'Brien
Brendan O'Callaghan
Kevin O'Callaghan
Joe O'Cearuill
Sean O’Driscoll
Kelham O'Hanlon
Eamonn O’Keefe
David O’Leary
Alex Pearce
Gerry Peyton
Terry Phelan
Anthony Pilkington
Darren Potter
Steven Reid
Declan Rice
Callum Robinson
Michael Robinson
Martin Rowlands
John Sheridan
Sean St Ledger
Peter Thomas
Andy Townsend
Gary Waddock
Mickey Walsh
Jonathan Walters
Keiren Westwood
Germany
Derrick Williams
Northern Ireland
Shane Duffy
Darron Gibson
James McClean
Eunan O'Kane
Marc Wilson

Scotland
Owen Coyle
Tommy Coyne
Charlie Gallagher
Ray Houghton
James McCarthy
Aiden McGeady
Bernie Slaven

United States of America
Joseph Lapira

Wales
Kevin Sheedy

In the middle of a horrible week for QPR fans lets take a minute and all say Michael Robinson together and remember that incredible night at Anfield in 1986 .He scored the winner and that led directly to my first trip to Wembley on final day.It turned into a cluster fcuk of course but it was still a magical time
Declan Rice on 19:45 - Feb 14 with 822 viewssmegma

Declan Rice on 16:07 - Feb 14 by CamberleyR

Born in Stoke Newington to Irish parents, moved back to Dublin at three years old.

I believe he was born in one of the streets by Highbury. Strange he then went on to play for Arsenal.
Declan Rice on 20:06 - Feb 14 with 806 viewsCamberleyR

Declan Rice on 16:22 - Feb 14 by ElHoop

You could say that half of U2 aren't Irish if you wanted to look at it from the point of view of birthplace.

How about a list of English cricketers who weren't born in England?

Off the top of my head and without Google:

Ranjitsinhji
Plum Warner
Duleepsinhji
Nawab of Pataudi Sr
Gubby Allen
Douglas Jardine
Colin Cowdrey
Ted Dexter
Basil D'Oliveira
Tony Greig
Bob Woolmer
Phil Edmonds
Roland Butcher
Robin Jackman
Allan Lamb
Derek Pringle
Ian Greig
Norman Cowans
Chris Smith
Robin Smith
Paul Terry
Wilf Slack
Gladstone Small
Phil De Freitas
Devon Malcolm
Neil Williams
Nasser Hussain
Chris Lewis
Graeme Hick
Andy Caddick
Dermot Reeve
Adam Hollioake
Ben Hollioake
Geraint Jones
Andrew Strauss
Kevin Pietersen
Matt Prior
Jonathan Trott

There's probably a few missed off particularly pre-war upper class amateurs who were born in far flung parts of the empire.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Declan Rice on 20:21 - Feb 14 with 796 viewsqprxtc

Declan Rice on 16:03 - Feb 14 by DannyPaddox

A dog born in a stables is not a kangaroo.

A pint poured in a pub is not a bird with big gazongas.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2019 20:24]
Declan Rice on 20:29 - Feb 14 with 776 viewsMrSheen

At least England held on to Harry Kane (Irish Dad).
Declan Rice on 21:55 - Feb 14 with 709 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Have to say I couldn't care less about Rice: if he wants to play for England, then he's well entitled.

Ireland have taken the pi$$ with this poaching lark over the years, specially since the Charlton years, so we can hardly moan. Mark Lawrenson, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge aren't Irish and we should never have begged them to pretend to be.

The Northern Ireland lads have dual Nationality and anyone on the Island of Ireland is allowed to play for North or South as they wish, so that one can be put away.

Like Robith, I was born in England to Irish parents so we have Dual Nationality and could have played for either. If footballers with Irish Nationality want to play for Ireland then they're rightly entitled to.

But, rules I would like to see:

1) No Grandparent rule (it's a nonsense - Rice was never Irish)
2) Pick a National Team at 18, stick with them.
3) If you can't sing the National Anthem (I'm looking at you Mick McCarthy!) you really have no business wearing the shirt.

Ireland can't be pious about this and, outside of a few ex-pros I've heard no Joe Soap express anything but apathy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Declan Rice on 22:05 - Feb 14 with 694 viewsqprxtc

Declan Rice on 21:55 - Feb 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Have to say I couldn't care less about Rice: if he wants to play for England, then he's well entitled.

Ireland have taken the pi$$ with this poaching lark over the years, specially since the Charlton years, so we can hardly moan. Mark Lawrenson, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge aren't Irish and we should never have begged them to pretend to be.

The Northern Ireland lads have dual Nationality and anyone on the Island of Ireland is allowed to play for North or South as they wish, so that one can be put away.

Like Robith, I was born in England to Irish parents so we have Dual Nationality and could have played for either. If footballers with Irish Nationality want to play for Ireland then they're rightly entitled to.

But, rules I would like to see:

1) No Grandparent rule (it's a nonsense - Rice was never Irish)
2) Pick a National Team at 18, stick with them.
3) If you can't sing the National Anthem (I'm looking at you Mick McCarthy!) you really have no business wearing the shirt.

Ireland can't be pious about this and, outside of a few ex-pros I've heard no Joe Soap express anything but apathy.

I’m as plastic paddy as there is, I could be an Irish helix ruler.

As far as I know Ireland didn’t break any rules and most of this lot wouldn’t have played international football otherwise. So Brian I love ya. It disagree. I also have t read everything you said cause I’m pissed.

But in the end who cares. It’s only got Ireland to a few world cups and England can’t say that those players would have made them better. Can they? Maybe they can. I do t fu@kin know.

There that’s my opinion now fi&k off.

Xxxx
Declan Rice on 00:09 - Feb 15 with 648 viewstimcocking

Declan Rice on 13:39 - Feb 14 by kingsburyR

Through no fault of his own (well maybe a little bit) hes got himself in a right shit storm.

It'll all get political and he'll receive the usual death threats. It would have been the same if he opted the other way.

A bit like Rory when golf was introduced into the Olympics. Team Ire or Team GB.

Think he pulled out in the end!

Yes; an awful lose-lose situation for anybody to be put in.
Declan Rice on 00:40 - Feb 15 with 632 viewsDannyPaddox

To play for Ireland you should have a Gaelic vocabulary of at least one word. My word(s) are smugairle róin. Which translates as jellyfish. It literally means seal snot.

Alas I've retired from International football.
Declan Rice on 02:01 - Feb 15 with 608 viewssmegma

Declan Rice on 14:22 - Feb 14 by runningman75

With Brexit the political climate could change again. I thought Kevin Gallen went to a Catholic school and many people did not speak to him when he played for England schoolboys.

Errr ???
Declan Rice on 07:11 - Feb 15 with 553 viewsElHoop

Declan Rice on 20:06 - Feb 14 by CamberleyR

Off the top of my head and without Google:

Ranjitsinhji
Plum Warner
Duleepsinhji
Nawab of Pataudi Sr
Gubby Allen
Douglas Jardine
Colin Cowdrey
Ted Dexter
Basil D'Oliveira
Tony Greig
Bob Woolmer
Phil Edmonds
Roland Butcher
Robin Jackman
Allan Lamb
Derek Pringle
Ian Greig
Norman Cowans
Chris Smith
Robin Smith
Paul Terry
Wilf Slack
Gladstone Small
Phil De Freitas
Devon Malcolm
Neil Williams
Nasser Hussain
Chris Lewis
Graeme Hick
Andy Caddick
Dermot Reeve
Adam Hollioake
Ben Hollioake
Geraint Jones
Andrew Strauss
Kevin Pietersen
Matt Prior
Jonathan Trott

There's probably a few missed off particularly pre-war upper class amateurs who were born in far flung parts of the empire.

That's an impressive list 'off the top of your head' so well done.

I did look at Wiki and there are definitely quite a few although you've got the main ones on your list. Wiki actually includes the Welsh who weren't born in England (technically speaking correct) although 'we' are of the course the England and Wales Cricket Board's team. In fact we are arguably the team of the British Isles at the highest level, so there's no point in including Scots and the various types of Irishmen either.

For me it's about which country taught you how to play. If you were taught to play your sport in England then you should be qualified for England, end of story. If you were taught somewhere else then why not play for that country?
Declan Rice on 07:13 - Feb 15 with 553 viewsdistortR

Declan Rice on 00:40 - Feb 15 by DannyPaddox

To play for Ireland you should have a Gaelic vocabulary of at least one word. My word(s) are smugairle róin. Which translates as jellyfish. It literally means seal snot.

Alas I've retired from International football.

manx gaelic is very similar.

Generally you can blag it by putting lots of vowels in a random group of consonants.
Declan Rice on 07:27 - Feb 15 with 549 viewssmegma

Declan Rice on 18:00 - Feb 14 by CLAREMAN1995

In the middle of a horrible week for QPR fans lets take a minute and all say Michael Robinson together and remember that incredible night at Anfield in 1986 .He scored the winner and that led directly to my first trip to Wembley on final day.It turned into a cluster fcuk of course but it was still a magical time

He scored the winner ???
Declan Rice on 07:30 - Feb 15 with 546 viewssmegma

Declan Rice on 15:14 - Feb 14 by makaveli1882

List of Irish players who are not actually Irish.

England

John Aldridge
Harry Arter
Phil Babb
Leon Best
Keith Branagan
Gary Breen
Shay Brennan
Alex Bruce
Paul Butler
John Byrne
Lee Carsley
Tony Cascarino
Jeff Chandler
Cyrus Christie
Ciaran Clark
David Connolly
Simon Cox
Ronan Curtis
Liam Daish
Rory Delap
John Dempsey
Terry Donovan
Rob Elliot
Mickey Evans
Curtis Fleming
Caleb Folan
Kevin Foley
Tony Galvin
Jon Goodman
Tony Grealish
Paul Green
Austin Hayes
Ron Healey
Matt Holland
Chris Hughton
Mick Kearns
Alan Kelly, Jr.
David Kelly
Mark Kelly
Mick Kennedy
Paddy Kenny
Richard Keogh
Alan Kernaghan
Dean Kiely
Kevin Kilbane
Liam Lawrence
Mark Lawrenson
Jon Macken
Seán Maguire
Terry Mancini
Jason McAteer
Mick McCarthy
Jim McDonagh
David McGoldrick
Eddie McGoldrick
Paul McGrath
Alan McLoughlin
Stephen McPhail
Mike Milligan
Chris Morris
Clinton Morrison
Jerry Murphy
Aiden O'Brien
Andy O'Brien
Brendan O'Callaghan
Kevin O'Callaghan
Joe O'Cearuill
Sean O’Driscoll
Kelham O'Hanlon
Eamonn O’Keefe
David O’Leary
Alex Pearce
Gerry Peyton
Terry Phelan
Anthony Pilkington
Darren Potter
Steven Reid
Declan Rice
Callum Robinson
Michael Robinson
Martin Rowlands
John Sheridan
Sean St Ledger
Peter Thomas
Andy Townsend
Gary Waddock
Mickey Walsh
Jonathan Walters
Keiren Westwood
Germany
Derrick Williams
Northern Ireland
Shane Duffy
Darron Gibson
James McClean
Eunan O'Kane
Marc Wilson

Scotland
Owen Coyle
Tommy Coyne
Charlie Gallagher
Ray Houghton
James McCarthy
Aiden McGeady
Bernie Slaven

United States of America
Joseph Lapira

Wales
Kevin Sheedy

Ciaran Clark played for England under 21s. A friend, who was a season ticket holder in lower loft, was doing some scouting for Ireland under 21s, noticed his first name. So he drove up to Villa Park to convert him into a plastic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024