Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Lagerfeld - RIP 14:02 - Feb 19 with 7073 viewsKonk

RIP Karl. Massive Fulham fan and could often be seen at places like Chesterfield, Hartlepool and Wrexham when we were struggling in the lower divisions. The first time I chatted to him was in the buffet car on the way back from Walsall. This German bloke asked me if he could look at my programme and it was a few minutes before I was able to put a name to the face. Turns out that as a young boy growing-up in Hamburg, he'd fallen in love with the simple monochromatic elegance of the Fulham kit. He was wearing his distinctive uniform of white shirt, black tie, black jacket, trousers, fingerless gloves and sunglasses, but when I looked closer I saw his shirt was actually a replica of our '75 Cup final shirt. Only he could pull that off.

A standout memory is Hadjuk Split away in 2002 - amongst the various flags tied to the fences was one that simply said 'FULHAM IS FASHION - FASHION IS FULHAM". Classic Karl.

Karl used to drink in the Chancellors before and after games and will be sorely missed by all the regulars. Auf Wiedersehen, mein freund.

[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 14:21]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 07:05 - Feb 21 with 1894 viewsKonk

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 22:31 - Feb 20 by DannyPaddox

Of course a lot of people thought he was Rangers. Probably because of the bedding stall he ran in the Market.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 23:07]

When I first met Karl, the fashion stuff was very much something he was doing on the side to subsidise his bedding business. Shepherd's Bush, Petticoat Lane, Wembley...there was even talk of a stall over at Walthamstow, but that never materialised for whatever reason. It was his passion - he loved the patter, the camaraderie with the other stall holders. The poor sod was heart-broken when he found out Walford Market was made-up for the telly.

You'd go to somewhere like Blackburn or Derby and he'd slope off to have a look round the local market before the game. He really fell in love with Shepherds Bush market during our two year stay at Loftus Road.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 07:46 - Feb 21 with 1869 viewsTheChef

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 06:27 - Feb 21 by Juzzie

I guess one of his legacies was the introduction of the happy-clapper at Craven Cottage.

RIP Karl, proper old school supporter.

[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 6:28]

I was really beginning to doubt the veracity of this thread - but yes, the happy clapper! It all makes sense now.

RIP Karl, heaven is going to be a much noisier place now (well, as noisy as Craven Cottage gets).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 12:20 - Feb 21 with 1807 viewsDannyPaddox

So much work he did for grassroots football too.
Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 12:38 - Feb 21 with 1796 viewsMrSheen

Glove-lovers have always flocked to the Cottage.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 13:12 - Feb 21 with 1762 viewsMytch_QPR

I've just stumbled across this thread whilst trying to eat some lunch and nearly choked.
Brilliant, as usual - and a welcome diversion from the drudgery of that dreadful football business.

RIP indeed Karl, I shall always think of you now if I happen to be working through a bag of Wotsits.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 16:20 - Feb 21 with 1674 viewsKonk

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 12:38 - Feb 21 by MrSheen

Glove-lovers have always flocked to the Cottage.

Michael Jackson, Karl Lagerfeld, Peter Shilton, Pete Beale and his fingerless gloves, Marcel Marceau, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, snooker refs, ranchers, Aggie and Kim in their marigolds, police dog handlers wan king off police dogs in those blue plastic gloves; all regulars down at Fulham over the years and all very welcome.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 17:22 - Feb 21 with 1630 viewsPhildo

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 13:12 - Feb 21 by Mytch_QPR

I've just stumbled across this thread whilst trying to eat some lunch and nearly choked.
Brilliant, as usual - and a welcome diversion from the drudgery of that dreadful football business.

RIP indeed Karl, I shall always think of you now if I happen to be working through a bag of Wotsits.

Me too- never bothered looking as not too interested in Karl - but clicked on it bored and did the snorting out loud at work thing.
Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 21:16 - Feb 21 with 1546 viewsqprxtc

Any relation to Marx Guinnessmells. Brentford’s top purveyor of quality nylon underpants and number one top boy, geezer and landlord of The Bricklayers Arms?
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 21:40]
Login to get fewer ads

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:45 - Feb 22 with 1426 viewsMick_S

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 06:27 - Feb 21 by Juzzie

I guess one of his legacies was the introduction of the happy-clapper at Craven Cottage.

RIP Karl, proper old school supporter.

[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 6:28]

Konk - a minute's silence or applause tonight?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 10:27 - Feb 22 with 1397 viewsDannyPaddox

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:45 - Feb 22 by Mick_S

A minute's clack surely.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2019 10:29]
Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 10:32 - Feb 22 with 1382 viewsKonk

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:45 - Feb 22 by Mick_S

The Premier League blocked our request for a minute’s silence. But they have allowed us to mark his passing by authorising our players to wear black sunglasses, clip-on ponytails and fingerless leather gloves. Which is a nice gesture. Choupette, his cat, has asked that all Fulham fans wear black and white sh it from our club shop, as a celebration of Karl’s life. It’s going to be very emotional for those of us who knew Karl.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 10:35 - Feb 22 with 1380 viewsKonk

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 21:16 - Feb 21 by qprxtc

Any relation to Marx Guinnessmells. Brentford’s top purveyor of quality nylon underpants and number one top boy, geezer and landlord of The Bricklayers Arms?
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 21:40]

I dunno mate. With Karl, the conversation was Fulham FC, Tom Cairney’s hair, (genuine) Egyptian cotton bed linen, the renationalisation of Britain’s railways or fashion gossip. He was an intensely private man.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 11:00 - Feb 22 with 1360 viewsDannyPaddox

Konk do you still have one of those Lagerfeld print Cup Final half n halfie dickie-bows? Most of London seemed to be wearing them back in 1975. Must be worth something now.

[Post edited 22 Feb 2019 11:12]
Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 11:24 - Feb 22 with 1338 viewsKonk

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 11:00 - Feb 22 by DannyPaddox

Konk do you still have one of those Lagerfeld print Cup Final half n halfie dickie-bows? Most of London seemed to be wearing them back in 1975. Must be worth something now.

[Post edited 22 Feb 2019 11:12]

My Dad got me a snide one off North End Market. I was too young to know the difference. I think it’s probably in their loft - I’ll have a look when I’m next home.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 11:37 - Feb 22 with 1318 viewsDannyPaddox

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 11:24 - Feb 22 by Konk

My Dad got me a snide one off North End Market. I was too young to know the difference. I think it’s probably in their loft - I’ll have a look when I’m next home.

Have a good rummage. I've seen the Jimmy Hill ones go for up to seven grand on eBay.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024