Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What now? 08:13 - Feb 20 with 5257 viewsbosh67

Given that we have what we have in terms of management, coaching, playing squad and limitations through FFP and fines what can the board, management and players do to turn the current alarming free fall in results around?

I am not calling for McClaren to be sacked, players to be dropped or condemned etc. Just what does the club do to turn a mixture of not that bad football but some very bad slips and periods switching off to get points on the board, stabilise and stagger to safety in the division?

If you were in charge how would you galvanise the club through this period?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What now? on 08:49 - Feb 21 with 1022 viewsPunteR

What now? on 07:28 - Feb 21 by kropotkin41

Here's what I would like: let's keep McClaren until he wants to retire or drops dead.

He is a decent enough manager, working with what he's got. And since when has changing manager done us much good anyway?

There is a line to be drawn though. The start of the season was crossing the line for me. It was horrendous.
It still remains to be seen whether it was worth sacking Ollie. Next season is a big test for SM, if of course he still wants to be here.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What now? on 09:12 - Feb 21 with 996 viewsYorkRanger

What now? on 21:41 - Feb 20 by WestonsuperR

Don’t panic if we lose to Boro and Leeds, that would be 8 in and a row and unprecedented, when do we panic!?

I guess my point is that these are two very tough fixtures, that even if we were not on such a bad run, we wouldn't be surprised to lose. First priority has to be safety and in that respect March is the defining month IMO
What now? on 09:46 - Feb 21 with 967 viewsterryb

Has it ever occurred to the those that want to sack McClaren that the club can't afford to?

The pay offs to him & his coaching staff could put the club over the FFP failure line. As we have previous, this could mean a stinging points deduction next season & a transfer embargo for quite a while.

Good luck to the club coping with that!
What now? on 10:43 - Feb 21 with 911 viewsisawqpratwcity

What now? on 09:46 - Feb 21 by terryb

Has it ever occurred to the those that want to sack McClaren that the club can't afford to?

The pay offs to him & his coaching staff could put the club over the FFP failure line. As we have previous, this could mean a stinging points deduction next season & a transfer embargo for quite a while.

Good luck to the club coping with that!

I think you exaggerate the possibility of a points deduction and transfer embargo. McClaren may be expensive, but I doubt that his coaching staff compare even remotely to first team wages.

The problem next season is that we lose a huge lump sum of parachute payment. That will take some accommodating.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

What now? on 13:23 - Feb 21 with 849 viewsterryb

What now? on 10:43 - Feb 21 by isawqpratwcity

I think you exaggerate the possibility of a points deduction and transfer embargo. McClaren may be expensive, but I doubt that his coaching staff compare even remotely to first team wages.

The problem next season is that we lose a huge lump sum of parachute payment. That will take some accommodating.

Exaggerate the posibility?

I'm not expecting that we will break FFP.

However, we only have £15 million to play with this year & I doubt that we will be much under that figure. This is not based on any known facts, but surely our income wouldn't have increased this season & our costs wouldn't have decreased by more than a couple of million?

Depending on the length of the contracts that McClaren & his coaching staff have ( I'm basing these continuing in to next season), I would think that a combined £1 to £2 million wouldn't be out of the question.

Normally, sacking a manager leads to two ot three other members of staff going. That would possibly leave us close to our limit.
What now? on 13:37 - Feb 21 with 844 viewsR_from_afar

What now? on 23:36 - Feb 20 by PunteR

We've been here it seems a hundred times before and changing the manager doesn't solve anything.

Bristol City had a massive slump at the end of last season, winning just three of their last 17 games and only one of their last eight.

They stuck with Johnson, and now.....

OK, a sample size of one and therefore not statistically relevant, but worth bearing in mind.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What now? on 14:08 - Feb 21 with 818 viewsessextaxiboy

What now? on 21:41 - Feb 20 by WestonsuperR

Don’t panic if we lose to Boro and Leeds, that would be 8 in and a row and unprecedented, when do we panic!?

When the five or six teams below us all go on a long winning streak...sometime never
What now? on 18:40 - Feb 21 with 760 viewsWestonsuperR

What now? on 14:08 - Feb 21 by essextaxiboy

When the five or six teams below us all go on a long winning streak...sometime never

We lose every game for the rest of the season but none of the 5 or 6 teams below us go on a ‘winning streak’, we just shrug our shoulders and carry on as if nothing has happened.
Login to get fewer ads

What now? on 19:35 - Feb 21 with 743 viewsCamberleyR

What now? on 18:40 - Feb 21 by WestonsuperR

We lose every game for the rest of the season but none of the 5 or 6 teams below us go on a ‘winning streak’, we just shrug our shoulders and carry on as if nothing has happened.

Assuming (as most people would) that Ipswich are gone, the other two teams currently in the bottom three's run ins:

Rotherham:

Reading A
Blackburn H
Sheff Utd A
QPR A
Norwich H
Frank Lampard's Derby A
Nottm Forest H
Aston Villa H
Stoke A
Swansea A
Birmingham H
West Brom A
Middlesbro H

Bolton:

Leeds A
Swansea A
Millwall H
Sheff Wed H
Wigan A
QPR A
Ipswich H
Middlesbro H
Frank Lampard's Derby A
Aston Villa H
Blackburn A
Brentford H
Nottm Forest A

How many points from that little lot? At a guess I'd say both will get no more than 10 or 11. Teams that win one roughly one game in six (Rotherham have won 5, Bolton 6 so far) usually don't start producing play off form in their last dozen or so games which is what both would need to get near to even 50 points.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

What now? on 19:55 - Feb 21 with 723 viewsNed_Kennedys

There seems to be a lot of complacency around about our current position; the run we are on is appalling and the thought of some that we have some 'easy' games next month is wishful thinking.
McClaren needs to find a way to turn this around and fast.
What now? on 20:18 - Feb 21 with 702 viewsCamberleyR

What now? on 19:55 - Feb 21 by Ned_Kennedys

There seems to be a lot of complacency around about our current position; the run we are on is appalling and the thought of some that we have some 'easy' games next month is wishful thinking.
McClaren needs to find a way to turn this around and fast.

The run we have been on is bad but the performances in general far from it. Fine margins, the last four of the six losses we deserved at least a point from each:
Wigan - Denied a blatant last minute penalty
Birmingham - Denied a deserved point (at least) by a penalty miss
Bristol C - Lost to an injury time penalty that never was
West Brom - Deserved a point, so unlucky to go down to ten when no subs available. Freeman stays on, that's a point.

So that's at least four points better off than now and 15th in the table, nobody panicking.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

What now? on 05:59 - Feb 22 with 588 viewsBlue_Castello

What now? on 20:18 - Feb 21 by CamberleyR

The run we have been on is bad but the performances in general far from it. Fine margins, the last four of the six losses we deserved at least a point from each:
Wigan - Denied a blatant last minute penalty
Birmingham - Denied a deserved point (at least) by a penalty miss
Bristol C - Lost to an injury time penalty that never was
West Brom - Deserved a point, so unlucky to go down to ten when no subs available. Freeman stays on, that's a point.

So that's at least four points better off than now and 15th in the table, nobody panicking.

Not only were we denied a point against Birmingham by the miss, they also had an incompetent referee / linesmen who didn't have the strength to make the penalty be retaken in respect of the ludicrous encroachment. The fans reaction at the end of a superb second half was to stay and clap the players off for an inspired comeback and good team spirit.

Agree with Terry that I think FFP takes away the option of sacking McLaren and it appears the Board have given Schteeve their support from previous press releases. It's a really bad run of form and luck against some of the best teams in the division, we've got to weather the next couple maybe get a point from somewhere and get behind the team for the closing stages of the season.

Last season Ipswich fans spent most of the season on a campaign to oust Mick McCarthy, well they got what they wanted...... and it's cost them a small fortune in the process.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2019 6:10]
What now? on 09:00 - Feb 22 with 526 viewsngbqpr

What now? on 13:37 - Feb 21 by R_from_afar

Bristol City had a massive slump at the end of last season, winning just three of their last 17 games and only one of their last eight.

They stuck with Johnson, and now.....

OK, a sample size of one and therefore not statistically relevant, but worth bearing in mind.

RFA

Likewise a lot of unhappy Norwich fans around this time last year during Farke's unremarkable first season...

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

What now? on 09:08 - Feb 22 with 516 viewsessextaxiboy

Do you think we will lose " every game" til the end of the season ? Its not as if we are playing badly . We wiil finish where we are IMO . Just below halfway ..
What now? on 09:41 - Feb 22 with 491 viewsdaveB

Just as it was daft to say give Mcclaren 3 years when we were doing well it's equally daft to say sack him now.

Results and performance between now and May will decide if he is here next year, we still have a very good opportunity to finish higher than we did last year and have a successful season but any manager who loses 4 in a row at the start of the season and 6 in a row now is going to have to face questions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024