Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Bollo youth club in Acton 12:02 - Mar 18 with 1763 viewsTacticalR

This morning's Guardian podcast is about the Bollo youth club in Acton and the various gangs in the area.

'Round here we've got Third Set, in Shepherd's Bush you have 12 Anti who are currently beefing Third Set. 12 World are beefing 12 Anti. Then you get in to Ladbroke Grove and you got Ten Eleven. Then you've got Mozart.'

Growing up with gangs, poverty and knife crime
https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2019/mar/18/growing-up-with-gangs-poverty

Air hostess clique

The Bollo youth club in Acton on 12:15 - Mar 18 with 1709 viewsW7Ranger

I was brought up in South Acton (lived in Barrie House until they pulled it down in 2001) and went to the Bollo Youth club all the time as a kid after school (Berrymede). Even went away with them a couple of times.

This was predominantly mid to late 80's. Great times!

I helped paint the mural on the side of the Youth Club. Although I've driven through South Acton on the Bollo Bridge road (on the way to QPR usually!), I've not been on to the Estate for a few years now. The whole of South Acton is now unrecognisable to what it looked like 18 years ago when I moved away due to the regeneration of the area. So no idea if the youth centre is still there, I'll be amazed if it is.

Have many happy memories of growing up on that Estate.
The Bollo youth club in Acton on 12:19 - Mar 18 with 1703 viewssmegma

The Bollo youth club in Acton on 12:15 - Mar 18 by W7Ranger

I was brought up in South Acton (lived in Barrie House until they pulled it down in 2001) and went to the Bollo Youth club all the time as a kid after school (Berrymede). Even went away with them a couple of times.

This was predominantly mid to late 80's. Great times!

I helped paint the mural on the side of the Youth Club. Although I've driven through South Acton on the Bollo Bridge road (on the way to QPR usually!), I've not been on to the Estate for a few years now. The whole of South Acton is now unrecognisable to what it looked like 18 years ago when I moved away due to the regeneration of the area. So no idea if the youth centre is still there, I'll be amazed if it is.

Have many happy memories of growing up on that Estate.

In the 80s was of the first estates to have posties not deliver giros, you had to go to the sorting office on Bollo Lane to collect as posties were getting robbed. The only other place I knew this went on was the West Kensington estate.
The Bollo youth club in Acton on 12:37 - Mar 18 with 1668 viewsW7Ranger

The Bollo youth club in Acton on 12:19 - Mar 18 by smegma

In the 80s was of the first estates to have posties not deliver giros, you had to go to the sorting office on Bollo Lane to collect as posties were getting robbed. The only other place I knew this went on was the West Kensington estate.

It's weird because growing up on that estate I never felt any fear at all. Despite the bad press that the estate seemed to have, I always felt safe in and around School, and felt safe playing footy in the field opposite the school and also in and around the youth centre.

The worse thing that happened was not long before I left the estate. In 2000 one of the my school mates was murdered in the stairwell of the flats we lived in.

But as a child, I have nothing but really happy memories, as I suspect most will have wherever they were brought up.

And did the Youth Centre have a positive impact/influence on my childhood and the local community in general? Most definitely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024