Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les Ferdinand 08:41 - Apr 2 with 8591 viewsPunteR

His name keeps cropping up in all the SM threads at the mo so i thought it was worth starting his own one.
I dont for one minute think he should go. He's exactly what we need while we have these owners. Someone who's a football man and understands QPR.
However i do think he needs to get a grip on his roll and improvements need to be made. The idea of a DoF running the football side of things ,i thought, was to keep a consistency in the way we play and our recruitment. We seem to be very sporadic still in all these areas.
Just wondered what the general consensus is at the moment.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les Ferdinand on 09:00 - Apr 2 with 4629 viewsozexile

IMO if the stories on Twitter from Dave Mc are true then his position is being made obsolete from those above him.
He allegedly can't get a Manager he wants and can't get his youngsters into the starting 11 even though that's the managers remit from the club.
Les Ferdinand on 09:09 - Apr 2 with 4598 viewsNortholt_Rs

Les Ferdinand on 09:00 - Apr 2 by ozexile

IMO if the stories on Twitter from Dave Mc are true then his position is being made obsolete from those above him.
He allegedly can't get a Manager he wants and can't get his youngsters into the starting 11 even though that's the managers remit from the club.

If that’s true why is he still here? Surely he’d be off if he was constantly being undermined...

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Les Ferdinand on 09:19 - Apr 2 with 4558 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand on 09:09 - Apr 2 by Northolt_Rs

If that’s true why is he still here? Surely he’d be off if he was constantly being undermined...

Perhaps he understands that appointing managers is not part of his remit, as the owners seem to believe. Even if it was to be part of his remit, it would only be one small facet of it. In every other aspect of his portfolio we are light years ahead of where we were before he was appointed.

In my opinion, Ferdinand, Hoos, Ramsey, Evans and Sinton are all doing fine jobs and we are in danger of looking for problems where there are none.

I've said it in another thread - surely now the owners must stop appointing managers and leave it to the football people. Hoos has done a good job at finding managers before coming here and would seem to be the ideal man to lead the search.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Les Ferdinand on 09:21 - Apr 2 with 4551 viewsLblock

I agree he’s needed but I thought he had more power, seems to be a toothless tiger and/or just a patsy for the clueless owners to carry on.

I’d like to think if I was constantly undermined I’d be off but then I’m not on £500k a year with a helicopter to keep fuelled. Maybe that’s why he applied for the FA job earlier this year?

My hope is that Amit steps up again and puts reigns on the lunatics as him and Ishkan did previous. My fear is the place is in a far bigger mess than it was back then and now a wild stallion that cannot be tamed until we do a Luton.

Back to Les - I really do think he’s got more to offer in and outside his role. How can kids such as Oteh and Smyth not be inspired if a legendary striker such as him is in their ear? He’s also a popular man throughout the game in general.

Cue the music.....

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Les Ferdinand on 09:26 - Apr 2 with 4528 viewsozexile

Les Ferdinand on 09:09 - Apr 2 by Northolt_Rs

Well Holloway didn't do him any favors yesterday by saying Les wanted him to stay.
At present he seems untouchable amongst our fan base but surely his role needs to be defined cause at present whatever goes wrong people are saying it's nothing to do with him.
Les Ferdinand on 09:31 - Apr 2 with 4496 views2Thomas2Bowles

Les Ferdinand on 09:26 - Apr 2 by ozexile

Well Holloway didn't do him any favors yesterday by saying Les wanted him to stay.
At present he seems untouchable amongst our fan base but surely his role needs to be defined cause at present whatever goes wrong people are saying it's nothing to do with him.

Maybe Clive can clear this up.

I'm pretty sure Clive has said before, that LF did not want Olly

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Les Ferdinand on 09:39 - Apr 2 with 4482 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Les Ferdinand on 09:21 - Apr 2 by Lblock

I agree he’s needed but I thought he had more power, seems to be a toothless tiger and/or just a patsy for the clueless owners to carry on.

I’d like to think if I was constantly undermined I’d be off but then I’m not on £500k a year with a helicopter to keep fuelled. Maybe that’s why he applied for the FA job earlier this year?

My hope is that Amit steps up again and puts reigns on the lunatics as him and Ishkan did previous. My fear is the place is in a far bigger mess than it was back then and now a wild stallion that cannot be tamed until we do a Luton.

Back to Les - I really do think he’s got more to offer in and outside his role. How can kids such as Oteh and Smyth not be inspired if a legendary striker such as him is in their ear? He’s also a popular man throughout the game in general.

Cue the music.....

Is the music 'Promised Land' by Joe Smooth L?
Les Ferdinand on 09:42 - Apr 2 with 4462 viewsrsonist

Les Ferdinand on 09:26 - Apr 2 by ozexile

To be clear here "I didn't think Les wanted me to go” were Ollie's exact words, so his interpretation not a recounting of events.
Login to get fewer ads

Les Ferdinand on 09:44 - Apr 2 with 4450 viewsHunterhoop

Les Ferdinand on 09:31 - Apr 2 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Maybe Clive can clear this up.

I'm pretty sure Clive has said before, that LF did not want Olly

Clive said Olly was not Hoos or LF’s choice when appointed, but was forced on them by TF. Clive was talking about his hiring, not his firing, as you imply. Two different things.

It’s very possible he also didn’t think he should have been sacked as he was, and as Olly said.

He wasn’t every fan’s first choice, but, when here, many of those who wouldn’t have hired him, wouldn’t have sacked him.

I think everything that it coming out is sounding more and more like Hoos and LF are fighting a silent, but powerful tide of stupidity from the Tune Group. We have owners, and i’ll Include Amit in this, who like to call the shots, even behind the scenes rather then delegate to those they’ve employed to do it, who know more about it, and are closer to it. If you’re those people not being delegated to, and you care about what you’re meant to be doing, you stay to try.
Les Ferdinand on 09:46 - Apr 2 with 4433 viewsDejR_vu

LF seems to be our very own Minister Without Portfolio; wide remit, no accountability.

We're told he doesn't choose / appoint the managers.

We're told he doesn't sign the players, that the manager identifies what he needs and he then draws up a list for the manager to choose from. But, presumably, the list comes from Penrice. So, he basically writes names on a sheet of paper and passes it to the manager? And then, presumably, when the manager's made his preferences known he passes the list to Hoos to negotiate??

CR is in charge of the academy isn't he?

So if LF doesn't appoint the manager, isn't involved in signing players or negotiating contracts, and doesn't run the academy, given that he works at football club, I'm not really sure what's left of any significance? It's not really a surprise that people are still unclear what his role is, even after all these years.

It's possible, of course, and logical, that he is responsible for some of these things but has been overruled by the Board. But, if so, why does he tolerate it? If he's been brought in 'to run the footballing side' but isn't allowed to, why is he still here?

Whatever he does or doesn't do the facts are that, during his tenure, we've gone from a Premier League team heading for relegation to a Championship team heading for relegation. The wage bill has come down, but it's all relative. We're still overpaying, relative to our peers, for average players and we're still rubbish. The entire squad has been signed on LF's watch and how many, including those that have come and gone can be said to have been genuinely good signings? I would say Smithies and Freeman, and we gave the first of those away for the price of a studio flat off the High Street.

LF was, undoubtedly, one of the best players to have pulled on a Rangers shirt. But that gets you in to the Forever Rs club, not a job as DoF. I'm certain he has the club's best interests at heart, and maybe he is being undermined but stays because he wants to keep trying to sort it out. But, imo, he either needs to start accepting some responsibility or, if he's being undermined, standing up to the Board. If he can't do either of those I can't see how he's helping the situation.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Les Ferdinand on 09:49 - Apr 2 with 4407 views2Thomas2Bowles

Les Ferdinand on 09:44 - Apr 2 by Hunterhoop

Clive said Olly was not Hoos or LF’s choice when appointed, but was forced on them by TF. Clive was talking about his hiring, not his firing, as you imply. Two different things.

It’s very possible he also didn’t think he should have been sacked as he was, and as Olly said.

He wasn’t every fan’s first choice, but, when here, many of those who wouldn’t have hired him, wouldn’t have sacked him.

I think everything that it coming out is sounding more and more like Hoos and LF are fighting a silent, but powerful tide of stupidity from the Tune Group. We have owners, and i’ll Include Amit in this, who like to call the shots, even behind the scenes rather then delegate to those they’ve employed to do it, who know more about it, and are closer to it. If you’re those people not being delegated to, and you care about what you’re meant to be doing, you stay to try.

Or do you stay as you are on good money and not getting offers elsewhere?

Les Ferdinand on 09:51 - Apr 2 with 4401 viewsrsonist

Would be nice to have had any indication over the years that "power to Les" meant anything other than Sherwood.

If it's been decided that Les is off the hook for hiring and off the hook for managing the hired then you can only agree with McIntyre at this point that we may as well get it over and done with.
Les Ferdinand on 09:51 - Apr 2 with 4400 viewsozexile

Les Ferdinand on 09:46 - Apr 2 by DejR_vu

LF seems to be our very own Minister Without Portfolio; wide remit, no accountability.

We're told he doesn't sign the players, that the manager identifies what he needs and he then draws up a list for the manager to choose from. But, presumably, the list comes from Penrice. So, he basically writes names on a sheet of paper and passes it to the manager? And then, presumably, when the manager's made his preferences known he passes the list to Hoos to negotiate??

So if LF doesn't appoint the manager, isn't involved in signing players or negotiating contracts, and doesn't run the academy, given that he works at football club, I'm not really sure what's left of any significance? It's not really a surprise that people are still unclear what his role is, even after all these years.

It's possible, of course, and logical, that he is responsible for some of these things but has been overruled by the Board. But, if so, why does he tolerate it? If he's been brought in 'to run the footballing side' but isn't allowed to, why is he still here?

Whatever he does or doesn't do the facts are that, during his tenure, we've gone from a Premier League team heading for relegation to a Championship team heading for relegation. The wage bill has come down, but it's all relative. We're still overpaying, relative to our peers, for average players and we're still rubbish. The entire squad has been signed on LF's watch and how many, including those that have come and gone can be said to have been genuinely good signings? I would say Smithies and Freeman, and we gave the first of those away for the price of a studio flat off the High Street.

LF was, undoubtedly, one of the best players to have pulled on a Rangers shirt. But that gets you in to the Forever Rs club, not a job as DoF. I'm certain he has the club's best interests at heart, and maybe he is being undermined but stays because he wants to keep trying to sort it out. But, imo, he either needs to start accepting some responsibility or, if he's being undermined, standing up to the Board. If he can't do either of those I can't see how he's helping the situation.

That's everything I wanted to say put way better than I could say it.
Les Ferdinand on 10:06 - Apr 2 with 4334 viewsdaveB

Ferdinand should be given the power now to appoint who he wants as manager and live or die by his own decision. if thats Sherwood then I think he's making a huge mistake but it should be his choice this time and he can at least then be accountable for it.
Les Ferdinand on 10:07 - Apr 2 with 4329 viewsA40Bosh

The whole Ollie thing is only still on the radar because he is good TV/Radio and at the time of SM sacking was in the right place to give his spleen a venting to Jim White.

Would he answer the phone if QPR were to ring him?
"Depends on who rings me" was his response

I hope no one from the club rings him. I don't mean that in a malicious way, it's just I was in that hotel breakfast room in Brum the morning the Villa game got snowed off. The Mrs and I were sat two tables down and there was about 4 or 5 of them around a round table, including Birch, Gavin Ward, Ollie and LF. There was banter around the table but not from Ollie, he sat there, but miles away from the conversation, looking haunted, like Golem after a ticking off from Samwise.

It is obvious that he has a love and passion for our club, but this time we really need to save him from himself - I can't imagine for two seconds the club would seriously even consider bringing him back. He can argue that he was sacked for doing his job, but he was doing it at what cost to himself and his reputation after certain outbursts.

I think we have also got to get away from this fixation with looking for managers who "are QPR through and through" and forget about Ainsworth, Derry or Clint Hill. There are about probably 85+ clubs in the 4 divisions here who are being managed by people with no connection to QPR, many doing well - we just don't hear too much about them. There are also hundreds of clubs in Europe who have produced managers who have come in to the 2nd tier and taken clubs forward. Why not go after one of those who we can pay a decent enough salary to so we dont have to attract a martyr or a lunatic, but someone who has done well abroad and wants to get in to the English game.

Of those who have a QPR connection, the only one that is starting to warm on me is Kenny Jacket. I hadn't really looked at his record much but actually he has been pretty decent so far at least in the bare percentages. People have passed comment on him running out of Rotherham after 5 games, I am not sure of the background to that, but to me that sounds like someone who thought he was getting into something that quickly transpired to not be the case and was brave enough to make the decision to get out rather than hang around as things started going pear shaped and get the blame for the previous transgressions lumped on to his tenure. Am I right that NW kept them up but also decided to pass on staying after only a handful of games?

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Les Ferdinand on 10:11 - Apr 2 with 4294 viewsterryb

I like Hoos. I like Ferdinand. I like Sinton. However, our club needs to reduce costs & I can't imagine we can make the needed savings from just players.

Therefore, I ask the question - Can we afford all three? Are we a big enough club to warrant all three positions?

I have no idea of their salaries, but I doubt it will less than an average first team player.
Les Ferdinand on 10:12 - Apr 2 with 4287 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The one thing we know is that Ferdinand is not in charge of appointing managers.

We do know that he's in charge of the Academy and that Ramsey answers to him.

We do know that he's in charge of scouting and that Penrice answers to him.

We do know that he's in charge of everything else football-related, and that if he wasn't there then a non-football person would be in charge of all football matters, and that's what nearly bankrupted our club before Hoos and Ferdinand saved us.

I can't see how anyone is confused.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 10:13]

Les Ferdinand on 10:14 - Apr 2 with 4264 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 10:11 - Apr 2 by terryb

I like Hoos. I like Ferdinand. I like Sinton. However, our club needs to reduce costs & I can't imagine we can make the needed savings from just players.

Therefore, I ask the question - Can we afford all three? Are we a big enough club to warrant all three positions?

I have no idea of their salaries, but I doubt it will less than an average first team player.

When the club had no DOF we had a massive split between the youth and under 23's and then the first team, was like having 3 different clubs, he has helped put a structure in place to fix that, i think doing away with the role would cost us more int he long term as we'd go back to being all about the first team and be pissing money away on an academy we have no interest in using.

The damage at QPR was done between 2006 and 2015, will take years to repair damage done in that time
Les Ferdinand on 10:17 - Apr 2 with 4246 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand on 10:07 - Apr 2 by A40Bosh

The whole Ollie thing is only still on the radar because he is good TV/Radio and at the time of SM sacking was in the right place to give his spleen a venting to Jim White.

I hope no one from the club rings him. I don't mean that in a malicious way, it's just I was in that hotel breakfast room in Brum the morning the Villa game got snowed off. The Mrs and I were sat two tables down and there was about 4 or 5 of them around a round table, including Birch, Gavin Ward, Ollie and LF. There was banter around the table but not from Ollie, he sat there, but miles away from the conversation, looking haunted, like Golem after a ticking off from Samwise.

It is obvious that he has a love and passion for our club, but this time we really need to save him from himself - I can't imagine for two seconds the club would seriously even consider bringing him back. He can argue that he was sacked for doing his job, but he was doing it at what cost to himself and his reputation after certain outbursts.

I think we have also got to get away from this fixation with looking for managers who "are QPR through and through" and forget about Ainsworth, Derry or Clint Hill. There are about probably 85+ clubs in the 4 divisions here who are being managed by people with no connection to QPR, many doing well - we just don't hear too much about them. There are also hundreds of clubs in Europe who have produced managers who have come in to the 2nd tier and taken clubs forward. Why not go after one of those who we can pay a decent enough salary to so we dont have to attract a martyr or a lunatic, but someone who has done well abroad and wants to get in to the English game.

Of those who have a QPR connection, the only one that is starting to warm on me is Kenny Jacket. I hadn't really looked at his record much but actually he has been pretty decent so far at least in the bare percentages. People have passed comment on him running out of Rotherham after 5 games, I am not sure of the background to that, but to me that sounds like someone who thought he was getting into something that quickly transpired to not be the case and was brave enough to make the decision to get out rather than hang around as things started going pear shaped and get the blame for the previous transgressions lumped on to his tenure. Am I right that NW kept them up but also decided to pass on staying after only a handful of games?

Seconded.

I didn't think he should have been sacked, but I don't think it's right to ask him again.

Les Ferdinand on 10:19 - Apr 2 with 4227 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A lad I used to sit with, was a guest of the club earlier this season.

I’m not going to say who he sat with in the Directors’ Box, but the story he was told was this. Allegedly, Bircham was in Tony Pony’s ear about appointing Ollie, and soppy b....x agrees. Which sounds a lot like how we ended up with Hughes! Of course, once appointed, who did Ollie appoint as his assistant?

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times: Tony Pony has been a leaving, breathing, walking disaster for QPR. So much so, the likes of Hughes, Harry et al, don’t get anywhere near him in terms of culpability.

The problem I’ve always had with SLF’s return: what was the rationale for his role? What was the selection criteria? Was anyone else considered? And why was he chosen? Sounds like with my cost cutting to come, we might need to lose one of the chiefs and if his role is usurped, then he’s probably off.

Total clusterfukery as per usual down at the Big Top

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Les Ferdinand on 10:20 - Apr 2 with 4226 viewsA40Bosh

Les Ferdinand on 10:11 - Apr 2 by terryb

I would keep Sinton on regardless of the cost.
If only for his screams of delight on the QPR official match commentary on the rare occasions we manage to score a goal.

I also think he is literally a great "Ambassador" with all the work he does that at least keeps our off field antics respectable and projecting a positive image for the club along with the QPR in the Community Team.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Les Ferdinand on 10:22 - Apr 2 with 4213 viewsozexile

Les Ferdinand on 10:12 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

The one thing we know is that Ferdinand is not in charge of appointing managers.

We do know that he's in charge of the Academy and that Ramsey answers to him.

We do know that he's in charge of scouting and that Penrice answers to him.

We do know that he's in charge of everything else football-related, and that if he wasn't there then a non-football person would be in charge of all football matters, and that's what nearly bankrupted our club before Hoos and Ferdinand saved us.

I can't see how anyone is confused.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 10:13]

I'm confused on how you can have a DOF who isn't in charge of appointing managers?
Les Ferdinand on 10:31 - Apr 2 with 4170 views18StoneOfHoop

DejR_vu,I refer you to the words of
The Right Honourable Group Member NW5 AKA Ginger of The Grauniad
on April 1st on a LFW thread elsewhere on these boards:

"When people talk about what Ferdinand does, there seems to be the assumption that he just oversees the first team. Surely he oversees all football operations? And at the levels below the first team — the bits the board don't get involved in — things are good. The age-group teams are doing very well; we're developing young players for the first time in a couple of generations.

I don't know the inside track at all. But clearly the strategy for the entire club is starting to pay off. The question is: why hasn't that been reflected in the first team yet? First, time — only over the past couple of years have we started to see the first fruits of that strategy come through. But maybe the second is because the director of football is having his influence on the first team held back by the board and their managerial appointees.

I don't know. I don't have an inside track. But do bear in mind that a large chunk of what Ferdinand is doing is very successful."

LFW Peeps and punters keep asking what is Les's DoF role.
FFS,just HOW MANY TIMES DO THEY HAVE TO BE TOLD?

#BeamMeUpScottie

In the inevitable casting about for scapegoats for our current parlous predicament
leave SIR LES MBE of BARANDON WALK W10's holy name out of it or
I'll fight you - whenever you're ready - on Shepherds Bush Green using every pound,every ounce
of all my elephant seal 19 stone.
Slow suffocation with plenty smelly farting in the face is not a nice way to die.

Horrible sound with PA blaring but stick with it.

[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 11:29]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Les Ferdinand on 10:34 - Apr 2 with 4147 views2Thomas2Bowles

Les Ferdinand on 10:07 - Apr 2 by A40Bosh

First thing I thought and said on here when Olly got the job was he was just what the club needed but that he was going to get hurt again.

Right manager for our situation and the so-called new plan for the club but the wrong owners who have a new plan every season.

They can blame FFP all they like but it was their fault.

MH was a massive mistake that they took to long to pull the plug.

Same with HR, should never have got a new contract after promotion.

CR just did not have the experience for a relegation battle.

JFH was another disaster. "it is what it is" Kunt!

IH as I said above.

SM a busted flush. that everyone else in football knew apart from TF.

No one is to blame but the owners as the buck stops with them.

Les Ferdinand on 10:34 - Apr 2 with 4143 viewsAntti_Heinola

Les Ferdinand on 10:22 - Apr 2 by ozexile

I'm confused on how you can have a DOF who isn't in charge of appointing managers?

because an owner of any company will always want final say?
Not sure why that's confusing?

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024