Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren's statement 20:32 - Apr 4 with 3581 viewsstainrods_elbow

'In a statement released by the League Managers Association, McClaren said: "It's been a privilege and honour to have managed QPR, a club with such great history and tradition in English football.

"I am very disappointed to be leaving at this stage of the season after everybody has worked so hard to achieve the club's target of staying in the Championship.

"After a bad start, our performances midway through the season saw us challenging for a play-off place. Unfortunately, since then results have proved inconsistent but, with seven games to go, I felt very confident that staying in the league was achievable.

"We worked hard to build an environment and culture to develop young players for the long-term stability of the club. However, we are in a results-based business and unfortunately both results and patience weren't forthcoming.

"My thanks to the owner and board for giving me the opportunity to manage QPR and to the staff and players, who have been a pleasure to work with.

"Finally, thank you to the supporters who stayed loyal to the players throughout the ups and downs of the campaign. I wish everyone well for the remainder of the season."

Somehow manages to be dignified, resentful and delusional all at once. At any rate, it's hard to imagine a more surreal euphemism than 'inconsistent' for what we've had to endure since Xmas. And what exactly does it mean to present oneself as having created a 'culture' for the young players to thrive in if they were bombed out en masse on loan? If we weren't sure wheter or not he'd lost the dressing room, he'd clearly lost the plot.

For me, the fact that he ultimately suggests, had he not been sacked, he'd have had a chance of keeping us up says it all in terms of his own epitaph on his tenure. Not so much managing expectations as lowering them to the point of subterranean! That's what a 'team of men' gets you, evidently.

Painful, really! Don't let the door smack your arse on the way out, Steve.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

McClaren's statement on 07:44 - Apr 5 with 2531 viewsDylanP

That is as negative a reading of Steve's comments as is humanly possible. I don't buy it.

I think the comments were pretty classy actually, considering he's just been sacked. Inconsistent is a euphemism for poor. If you didn't know that, now you do. That is what it means. He is never going to say it straight out because then it would look like he was blaming the players and there is no point in that. He's already taken the brunt of the blame when he got fired. If he turned around and blamed the players now it would just look like he was pointing the finger or being snide because he was fired and he has been around long enough to know that doesn't work.

As for youth players, its the first team in years that regularly played products of our youth system. Were there enough youngsters in the side? Thats a subject for debate. But there certainly are young players in the side and there certainly are players who came up through the system in the side.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

McClaren's statement on 07:48 - Apr 5 with 2522 viewstoboboly

McClaren's statement on 07:44 - Apr 5 by DylanP

That is as negative a reading of Steve's comments as is humanly possible. I don't buy it.

I think the comments were pretty classy actually, considering he's just been sacked. Inconsistent is a euphemism for poor. If you didn't know that, now you do. That is what it means. He is never going to say it straight out because then it would look like he was blaming the players and there is no point in that. He's already taken the brunt of the blame when he got fired. If he turned around and blamed the players now it would just look like he was pointing the finger or being snide because he was fired and he has been around long enough to know that doesn't work.

As for youth players, its the first team in years that regularly played products of our youth system. Were there enough youngsters in the side? Thats a subject for debate. But there certainly are young players in the side and there certainly are players who came up through the system in the side.

Apart from Lumley and Eze who has played regularly that Steve has brought in? Furlong was playing the season before so doesn't count, Bright couldn't buy a game despite being our best player whenever he sets foot on the turf and all the others were loaned out.

I agree with the OP, he is delusional, especially if "his" team go down and especially considering the amount of money we spend in relation to the teams we are around in the league table.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

McClaren's statement on 07:59 - Apr 5 with 2495 viewsDylanP

McClaren's statement on 07:48 - Apr 5 by toboboly

Apart from Lumley and Eze who has played regularly that Steve has brought in? Furlong was playing the season before so doesn't count, Bright couldn't buy a game despite being our best player whenever he sets foot on the turf and all the others were loaned out.

I agree with the OP, he is delusional, especially if "his" team go down and especially considering the amount of money we spend in relation to the teams we are around in the league table.

Lumley, Eze, Oteh, BOS, Kakay, Furlong

The last team to have that many young players regularly contributing was the 1982 squad under Terry Venables

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

McClaren's statement on 08:07 - Apr 5 with 2476 viewstoboboly

McClaren's statement on 07:59 - Apr 5 by DylanP

Lumley, Eze, Oteh, BOS, Kakay, Furlong

The last team to have that many young players regularly contributing was the 1982 squad under Terry Venables

Eh? You can't say Oteh, Kakay and BOS have regularly contributed. Kakay was dropped as soon as Rangel came in, Oteh played a handful of minutes and was loaned out and BOS couldn't get into the team regularly if we had 11 out injured.

Lumley and Eze I grant you but Eze already was playing last year, as was Furlong and Lumley was second choice to Ingram. McLaren can claim a lot but "playing and developing the kids" is not one of them.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

McClaren's statement on 08:29 - Apr 5 with 2412 viewsozexile

"Results and patience weren't forthcoming". Ha ha what a sentence.
McClaren's statement on 08:47 - Apr 5 with 2345 views2Thomas2Bowles

stainrods_elbow

I agree with you.

Pretty much every manager that gets the sack, plays the time/ patience card. sometimes it's justified but not in McClaren case

Staying up has far more to do with the bottom 3 being so poor but 2 of them managed to beat us at home, he is deluded.

Anyone seen Steve's mate Esox_Lucius on the board since.

The only manager that has some right to play that card this season is Moore at WBA.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2019 11:31]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

McClaren's statement on 08:56 - Apr 5 with 2329 viewsRs_Holy

McClaren's statement on 08:47 - Apr 5 by 2Thomas2Bowles

stainrods_elbow

I agree with you.

Pretty much every manager that gets the sack, plays the time/ patience card. sometimes it's justified but not in McClaren case

Staying up has far more to do with the bottom 3 being so poor but 2 of them managed to beat us at home, he is deluded.

Anyone seen Steve's mate Esox_Lucius on the board since.

The only manager that has some right to play that card this season is Moore at WBA.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2019 11:31]

I think the fans and board have been very patient with Shteeve!

Ollie was sticking to the plan and getting young players to make the step up towards the end of last season! We've gone backwards this season imho!
McClaren's statement on 10:20 - Apr 5 with 2159 viewssimmo

Said it on Twitter in response to this statement but here's a manager that prioritised results over the development of young players (when that was his main remit) and then complains when he is sacked on the basis of his poor results...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

McClaren's statement on 10:24 - Apr 5 with 2143 viewsBrianMcCarthy

McClaren's statement on 10:20 - Apr 5 by simmo

Said it on Twitter in response to this statement but here's a manager that prioritised results over the development of young players (when that was his main remit) and then complains when he is sacked on the basis of his poor results...

In a nutshell.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

McClaren's statement on 10:29 - Apr 5 with 2119 viewswestberksr

results have be consistent since Xmas; we've lost nearly every match. How much more consistent could they have been?

That's 3 solid, long, awful months; my Leeds mate still can't fathom how they are the only team we beat!
McClaren's statement on 10:33 - Apr 5 with 2114 viewsfrancisbowles

Avoiding relegation wasn't the target last summer, top half was the expectation of the club.
McClaren's statement on 10:34 - Apr 5 with 2104 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The predictable and obvious consequence of yet another poor choice of manager.

Here’s hoping it’s a case of twelfth time lucky for Tony Pony!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

McClaren's statement on 10:41 - Apr 5 with 2093 viewsDorse

'Unfortunately, since then results have proved inconsistent...'

I disagree. The results have actually been very consistent since the new year: that was the problem.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

McClaren's statement on 10:48 - Apr 5 with 2072 viewsHooparoo

Never underestimate the power of denial.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

McClaren's statement on 10:53 - Apr 5 with 2052 viewsBklynRanger

Steve, Steve, Steve, the results and patience weren't forthcoming because you yourself didn't have patience with the approach that you were supposed to be delivering results under, if you see what I mean Steve. You were supposed to coach us to safety, not loan us to near safety. Yeah?
McClaren's statement on 11:00 - Apr 5 with 2022 views2Thomas2Bowles

Athletico mince. A Shaggy wasn't me, staring hair island seems appropriate.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

McClaren's statement on 11:40 - Apr 5 with 1964 viewsrsonist

The reason for his sacking wasn't that the kids weren't going to be ready for next season.
McClaren's statement on 11:45 - Apr 5 with 1943 viewsLongsufferingR

McClaren's statement on 10:29 - Apr 5 by westberksr

results have be consistent since Xmas; we've lost nearly every match. How much more consistent could they have been?

That's 3 solid, long, awful months; my Leeds mate still can't fathom how they are the only team we beat!

He's not the only one
McClaren's statement on 12:31 - Apr 5 with 1846 viewsR_from_afar

McClaren's statement on 10:20 - Apr 5 by simmo

I can't think of any situation in professional football in which any priority can be higher than results.

Before you go into meltdown, there can be multiple priorities, of which nurturing the prospects can be one, but results will always be paramount.

Otherwise you could end up with an amazing youth set-up but be playing Maidenhead Utd twice a season.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

McClaren's statement on 12:40 - Apr 5 with 1802 viewsDavieQPR

He tried, didn't work out. Forgot his remit.
McClaren's statement on 13:00 - Apr 5 with 1729 viewsbosh67

Being our manager is not an easy job and I have some sympathy for McClaren. That said, his complete lack of width and formation has made it pretty easy for managers with far less experience to work out how to get through and around it. In many ways he did similar things to Ollie last season but Ollie managed to stem it after 8 games rather than 15.

The truth is once he got a system right we should never have been in this position and the fact that we are comes down to being found out far too easily on a tactical level, farming out young players with pace rather than coaching them and putting them in, bringing back a player like Manning and then not using him, not letting players like BOS or Pav play 2 games in a row and making what can only be described as bizarre excuses for alleged substitution errors.

As one Leeds fan said, as it turns out correctly, QPR have been an awful side this season who suffered a positive blip in the middle of the season. Bang on. We are terrible. We played a dozen games where we looked at least compact and after losing Cameron we fell apart. The players have to shoulder a lot of the blame for conceding so many goals late on but you need a system, management and the enthusiasm of youth, with a few old heads to get you through in this league. Plus pace and width. We have loads of those last two things and they are mainly playing elsewhere or keeping the bench warm.

I've watched Rangers for 46 years and this group of players are very honest and work hard. They aren't the most talented but given the right plan a, b and c they could easily hold their own at this level. We need 2 central defenders that bully and command those positions, full backs that don't get caught for pace, quick young wide players and forwards who press and who can get on the end of crosses. Essentially this team has always been better on the front foot. The counter attack system has been found out after a good little run so we need to get back to attacking and simply trying to score more goals than we let in!

Tommy Doc, Terry Venables, Gordon Jago and even Neil Warnock went on the front foot. JFH never did that, Ollie struggled to do it and McClaren made us sit back. We need a manager who understands what we do best. Attack!

If it was up to me I would persuade Andy Sinton to take the job on and get Trevor Sinclair in as a motivational coach for the rest of the season. Both of them get what we are about 100%. Ultimately, if he would come back the only real candidate to play classic QPR attack style is Ainsworth, but I've always said Mark Warburton is a perfect candidate as well. His teams always attack and he's a former successful hedge fund manager so he would be a great allie for Hoos as well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

McClaren's statement on 13:14 - Apr 5 with 1706 viewsrsonist

McClaren's statement on 12:31 - Apr 5 by R_from_afar

I can't think of any situation in professional football in which any priority can be higher than results.

Before you go into meltdown, there can be multiple priorities, of which nurturing the prospects can be one, but results will always be paramount.

Otherwise you could end up with an amazing youth set-up but be playing Maidenhead Utd twice a season.

Not even just results but the manner of them and the sequences in which they occur.

Probably if the table was the same, the results had been more sensibly spread out, some losses had featured Bright more often, and he hadn't started messing Eze around then the narrative would be different and McClaren would still be in the job.

Feel free to now autocomplete several paragraphs of me reiterating why I don't buy the Abandoned Remit: McClaren Gone Rogue script.
McClaren's statement on 13:51 - Apr 5 with 1633 viewsPinnerPaul

McClaren's statement on 08:56 - Apr 5 by Rs_Holy

I think the fans and board have been very patient with Shteeve!

Ollie was sticking to the plan and getting young players to make the step up towards the end of last season! We've gone backwards this season imho!

'Very patient' - is less than a season now is it?

Not just here tbf, its the football way now sadly.
McClaren's statement on 13:54 - Apr 5 with 1622 viewsdaveB

McClaren's statement on 13:51 - Apr 5 by PinnerPaul

'Very patient' - is less than a season now is it?

Not just here tbf, its the football way now sadly.

1 win in 15 games including 12 defeats and the team was clapped off most week, fans were pretty patient
McClaren's statement on 13:59 - Apr 5 with 1607 viewsSimonJames

If what he says is true... "the club's target of staying in the Championship", then WTF!!!
I would like to see a statement from the club clarifying whether this really was the target.

100% of people who drink water will die.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024