Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking towards next season 10:25 - Apr 8 with 2034 viewsGloucs_R

Whatever happens, up or down, we'll need another recruitment drive as I suspect many of the players out of contract will not resign. Which leaves some massive holes in the squad.

Keepers - Lumley, Ingram Dieng.

Defence - Kakay, Furlong, BFG, Philips (did he end up on loan in the US?, Niko - This has got disaster written all over it.
Lynch - not good enough
Hall - not fit enough
Bidwell - not cheap enough
Baptiste - not young enough

So thats at least 3 in defence we need.

Midfield - I suspect Cousins will resign.
Goss, Cousins, Scowen, Manning, Mass, BOS, Freeman (he'll be sold), Wheeler
Very lightweight. We need two of them to find form or a new DM

Fowards - Smith, Smyth, Oteh, Chair and Eze. Thats an lot of trust on players who have not played regular football at this level before.

Anyone else thinks that this looks like a League 1 squad?
[Post edited 8 Apr 2019 10:27]

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Looking towards next season on 10:59 - Apr 8 with 1954 viewsMedwayR

At the moment I think we’ll go down next year. As you’ve pointed out the squad will be weaker than it is now, and I can’t see a manager being appointed that could work miracles with that lot especially with tighter financial restrictions.

From the out of contract players I could only see Bidwell staying on reduced terms, doubt he’ll have many offers from elsewhere, plus maybe Wszolek and Hall. I could also see us cutting our losses on Ingram, Goss & Wheeler. Plus Freeman going too...it’s not looking pretty.

Poll: Who’s better?

Looking towards next season on 12:04 - Apr 8 with 1848 viewsbosh67

I think we will go down. Can't see us getting another point under the circumstances but either way the club needs to really push on with the academy and promote.

Kakay, Dieng, Smyth, BOS, Chair, Manning, Oteh, Chair, Eze (if he stays), Furlong and others coming through have got to step up and be the main players, but I would like to see us really go down the Ajax route and put more resources into the academy players.

The club wants an £11m budget next season. It may be less if we go down. I suspect Freeman, perhaps Eze and a few others will be sold to make that number, plus a heap of players will leave at the end of contracts. Whoever comes in needs to be someone who will develop the youngsters, perhaps bring in a few older heads and just take the shackles off and create a formula that plays on youth, pace and enthusiasm.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Looking towards next season on 12:24 - Apr 8 with 1825 viewsAntti_Heinola

If we don't go down this season (and we certainly are) we will defo go down next season.
Huge, huge work to be done. This appointment is the most important one in a very, very long time. And not a single name on the apparent list seems like the right one.

Bare bones.

Looking towards next season on 12:32 - Apr 8 with 1789 viewsRblockPrior

My opinion;

Lumley- Not good enough to be no1 atm
Igram- let go
Furlong- Squad player
Rangel- try and keep on solely for experience and back up
Lynch- needs to be moved on
Leisner- Keep, solid defender
Bidwell- keep on lower terms solid and imo one of our better players this season
Hall- Keep (just)
Pav- Keep on lower terms if possible
Cousins- let go although there defo is a player there somewhere
Goss- Let go
Chair- keep
Wheeler- let go
BOS- keep
manning- good squad player
Luongo- let go if price is right
Freeman- Defo will be sold
Eze- Keep but defo needs an arm around him
Chair keep
Scowen- good squad player
Cameron- return back
Smyth- Keep
Smith- Sell
Hemed- Return back
Wells- return back
Oteh- squad player

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

Looking towards next season on 13:02 - Apr 8 with 1740 viewsDavieQPR

Looking towards next season on 12:32 - Apr 8 by RblockPrior

My opinion;

Lumley- Not good enough to be no1 atm
Igram- let go
Furlong- Squad player
Rangel- try and keep on solely for experience and back up
Lynch- needs to be moved on
Leisner- Keep, solid defender
Bidwell- keep on lower terms solid and imo one of our better players this season
Hall- Keep (just)
Pav- Keep on lower terms if possible
Cousins- let go although there defo is a player there somewhere
Goss- Let go
Chair- keep
Wheeler- let go
BOS- keep
manning- good squad player
Luongo- let go if price is right
Freeman- Defo will be sold
Eze- Keep but defo needs an arm around him
Chair keep
Scowen- good squad player
Cameron- return back
Smyth- Keep
Smith- Sell
Hemed- Return back
Wells- return back
Oteh- squad player

Awful lot of squad and not enough definites. How you can class Manning as a good squad player baffles me as he hasn't done much with his chances or loans. There are not many players there worth more than two bob which is unfortunate for us.
Looking towards next season on 13:29 - Apr 8 with 1692 viewsDorse

Our biggest issue has been at centreback for the last few years. Since we lost Hill, Nelsen and Dunne, all of whom were at the end of their playing careers, we have lacked a reliable centreback partnership.

Leistner is limited but generally he's a good reader of the game and tends to perform consistently. Hall would be his most obvious partner but has been unlucky with some pretty nasty injuries that we have not been able to select him for long periods.

Lynch has shown little or no interest, aptitude or skill, preferring to dig out his keeper, left back or midfield cover rather than actually taking the game by the scruff of the neck. To me, he is the epitome of the 'Armchair Quarterback' whose perfect 20-20 hindsight blinds him to the fact that his own performance is appalling. The sooner he removes his malign influence from the team, the better.

We lost Perch, Onuoha and Robinson and replaced them with Leistner. The depth of potential match day replacements is shallower this season compared with last. We have no Baptiste to call upon to dig us out as he's at Luton.

If we can fix the defence, the midfield is freed up to create rather than sh!t themselves every time the opposition gets possession high up the field. Furlong's future is probably at centreback, although I would prefer to see him play as the right side of a 3. I bang on about 352 a lot but it still offers the flexibility to play 2 up in possession or 4 in the midfield when defending.

I remember an interview with Brian Clough where he said that, if you don't concede, it only ever takes one goal to win a game. Bearing in mind how difficult we find scoring, that isn't a bad place to start. Get the defence fixed first and we can build on it.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Looking towards next season on 14:17 - Apr 8 with 1602 viewsToast_R

We should have gone down this season really, the expensive loans might have just about staved it off for another 12 months but next season we are bang in it again with no joker card

Season ticket anyone?
Looking towards next season on 15:42 - Apr 8 with 1497 viewsA40Bosh

"we'll need another recruitment drive as I suspect many of the players out of contract will not resign"

The fundamental problem with the wording of the OP is that there can be no "recruitment drive" hence why many replying to the thread are predicting relegation, if not between now and the end of the season, then certainly next season and they might well be correct.

As Chris Martin whines on our behalf, nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard. Perhaps, only now, are we are truly understanding, come the latest sacking, just how shite life in the post FFP sanctioned world really is.

We as a collective are continuing to post the exact same comments we make every time a manager goes and a new appointment comes in, specifically about the types of players they need to bring "in" or bring "through". The last one who seemed to get it right was NW but that was under a different regime and without the real shackles we have around us now. He knew what he needed and was backed to get them and it soon showed he knew what he was doing that year.

Take current public enemy No 1 Mr Lynch. In his time with us, a handful of decent games, the odd goal, but for the majority of his time here, the vast majority believe he is worse than Zesh. I am not saying he is NOT really bad, but if he is why is he still playing as many games as he if the BFG and Hall are supposedly now both fit. If he is that bad, is there really no better option (Baptiste, Furs, U23, U21, U18, U17) that could have been promoted to the 1st team ahead of him. Or is it that although he is current public enemy number 1 he is just one of many very poor first team players who jointly contribute to us only getting 1 win in 16 games. So, get rid of Lynch when his contract is up, what then? Some will argue that it can't be any worse, well if that was the case why is Baptiste or Furlong playing instead of him now? What will happen is the mantle will just pass on to someone else because we the contents of our purse we cannot go out and buy in someone who is guaranteed to do better. So we will just replace with another substandard player who will let us down and the same goes for every position in the club.

Lumley: Hero to Zero
Eze: New Adel to worse than Adele
Nakhi Wells to Well Knackered

We are probably a mid-table League One squad in waiting for 2020/2021 season and that is a reflection on where we are financially and will remain until a miracle comes one way or another.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Login to get fewer ads

Looking towards next season on 16:07 - Apr 8 with 1454 viewsDorse

I like Lumley. Nice hair.

Looking towards next season on 16:11 - Apr 8 with 1442 viewsGloucs_R

Looking towards next season on 15:42 - Apr 8 by A40Bosh

"we'll need another recruitment drive as I suspect many of the players out of contract will not resign"

The fundamental problem with the wording of the OP is that there can be no "recruitment drive" hence why many replying to the thread are predicting relegation, if not between now and the end of the season, then certainly next season and they might well be correct.

As Chris Martin whines on our behalf, nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard. Perhaps, only now, are we are truly understanding, come the latest sacking, just how shite life in the post FFP sanctioned world really is.

We as a collective are continuing to post the exact same comments we make every time a manager goes and a new appointment comes in, specifically about the types of players they need to bring "in" or bring "through". The last one who seemed to get it right was NW but that was under a different regime and without the real shackles we have around us now. He knew what he needed and was backed to get them and it soon showed he knew what he was doing that year.

Take current public enemy No 1 Mr Lynch. In his time with us, a handful of decent games, the odd goal, but for the majority of his time here, the vast majority believe he is worse than Zesh. I am not saying he is NOT really bad, but if he is why is he still playing as many games as he if the BFG and Hall are supposedly now both fit. If he is that bad, is there really no better option (Baptiste, Furs, U23, U21, U18, U17) that could have been promoted to the 1st team ahead of him. Or is it that although he is current public enemy number 1 he is just one of many very poor first team players who jointly contribute to us only getting 1 win in 16 games. So, get rid of Lynch when his contract is up, what then? Some will argue that it can't be any worse, well if that was the case why is Baptiste or Furlong playing instead of him now? What will happen is the mantle will just pass on to someone else because we the contents of our purse we cannot go out and buy in someone who is guaranteed to do better. So we will just replace with another substandard player who will let us down and the same goes for every position in the club.

Lumley: Hero to Zero
Eze: New Adel to worse than Adele
Nakhi Wells to Well Knackered

We are probably a mid-table League One squad in waiting for 2020/2021 season and that is a reflection on where we are financially and will remain until a miracle comes one way or another.

There has to be some inbound players or we are well and truly screwed. I dont mean going out and buying players, I am talking about bringing in lower league or foreign players on a lot less money than those departing are on. BFG was very left field so I am hopeful Penrice has a magic wand and we can have a few more of those. Otherwise our back 4 looks like this next season...

Kakay / Furlong / BFG / Niko

We'd struggle in League 1 with that back 4 let alone the Championship. With a back up squad of U23 players who lack any first team action anywhere.

We have a decent crop of youngsters, maybe it is best that we go down?!?! At least they will get a chance to play without getting smashed every week. (on the pitch and off it!)

Looking towards next season on 10:57 - Apr 9 with 1164 viewstimeforheroes

I thought that we would be in serious trouble at the start of 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19. We may still yet get relegated this season, although I would very surprised if that happened. 19/20 looks to be the bleakest yet and the scale of change and upheaval which the squad is going to have to undergo this summer means that it could be our most difficult. However I think that we still have a fighting chance next season.

I have faith in Penrice to find the targets we need and I think that the sacking of McClaren shows that perhaps the hierarchy have accepted the need to firmly pursue this route for next season. The slumps in form which we have endured under successive managers (1 win in 10 in 15/16 and 16/17, no win in 6 in 17/18 and our current run of 1 win in 16) indicates to me a dressing room which lacks leaders and bottle, rather than any fault of particular managers and the wholesale changes needed this summer offer us the chance to add the characters who will manage the dressing room themselves (such as the Hill, Derry, Kenny and Mackie recruitments in 10/11).

Perhaps this is extremely optimistic given our recent transfer track record and much will depend on the manager appointed. However, four out of us, (a Reece James-less) Wigan, Rotherham, Reading and Millwall will start next season in the Championship, other clubs face FFP sanctions and whilst some of the clubs coming up from League 1 look good at the moment, I would expect at least one of them to struggle as well next season.
Looking towards next season on 11:04 - Apr 9 with 1149 viewsrsonist

Looking towards next season on 10:57 - Apr 9 by timeforheroes

I thought that we would be in serious trouble at the start of 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19. We may still yet get relegated this season, although I would very surprised if that happened. 19/20 looks to be the bleakest yet and the scale of change and upheaval which the squad is going to have to undergo this summer means that it could be our most difficult. However I think that we still have a fighting chance next season.

I have faith in Penrice to find the targets we need and I think that the sacking of McClaren shows that perhaps the hierarchy have accepted the need to firmly pursue this route for next season. The slumps in form which we have endured under successive managers (1 win in 10 in 15/16 and 16/17, no win in 6 in 17/18 and our current run of 1 win in 16) indicates to me a dressing room which lacks leaders and bottle, rather than any fault of particular managers and the wholesale changes needed this summer offer us the chance to add the characters who will manage the dressing room themselves (such as the Hill, Derry, Kenny and Mackie recruitments in 10/11).

Perhaps this is extremely optimistic given our recent transfer track record and much will depend on the manager appointed. However, four out of us, (a Reece James-less) Wigan, Rotherham, Reading and Millwall will start next season in the Championship, other clubs face FFP sanctions and whilst some of the clubs coming up from League 1 look good at the moment, I would expect at least one of them to struggle as well next season.

Yeah, despite the financial inequalities I think the bar for survival - even midtable security - is still fairly low. We do need a summer of decisions that work out to achieve that basic competency though - no more room for error now.
Looking towards next season on 11:22 - Apr 9 with 1119 viewsCamberleyR

Looking towards next season on 16:11 - Apr 8 by Gloucs_R

There has to be some inbound players or we are well and truly screwed. I dont mean going out and buying players, I am talking about bringing in lower league or foreign players on a lot less money than those departing are on. BFG was very left field so I am hopeful Penrice has a magic wand and we can have a few more of those. Otherwise our back 4 looks like this next season...

Kakay / Furlong / BFG / Niko

We'd struggle in League 1 with that back 4 let alone the Championship. With a back up squad of U23 players who lack any first team action anywhere.

We have a decent crop of youngsters, maybe it is best that we go down?!?! At least they will get a chance to play without getting smashed every week. (on the pitch and off it!)

"We have a decent crop of youngsters, maybe it is best that we go down?!?! At least they will get a chance to play without getting smashed every week. (on the pitch and off it!)"

There are plenty of clubs in the last twenty years who have dropped out of the second tier and never returned to that level including quite a few who were reasonably well established when they dropped; Oxford, Port Vale, Swindon, Tranmere, Crewe, Coventry, Oldham, Grimsby, Plymouth to name just a few. Three of those even dropped out of the league.

There is absolutely no certainty that we would even do what we did before and get back within three seasons. I'd prefer to take my chances in the Championship next season thanks very much.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2019 11:24]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Looking towards next season on 11:43 - Apr 9 with 1075 viewsGloucs_R

Looking towards next season on 11:22 - Apr 9 by CamberleyR

"We have a decent crop of youngsters, maybe it is best that we go down?!?! At least they will get a chance to play without getting smashed every week. (on the pitch and off it!)"

There are plenty of clubs in the last twenty years who have dropped out of the second tier and never returned to that level including quite a few who were reasonably well established when they dropped; Oxford, Port Vale, Swindon, Tranmere, Crewe, Coventry, Oldham, Grimsby, Plymouth to name just a few. Three of those even dropped out of the league.

There is absolutely no certainty that we would even do what we did before and get back within three seasons. I'd prefer to take my chances in the Championship next season thanks very much.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2019 11:24]

Would you rather struggle at the bottom of the championship and watch your best, youngest players get slaughtered every week in a toxic environment or watch them flourish in League 1 and be challenging?

I only go to the hand full of games in a season now anyway so for me I would personally rather see us challenge and bring kids through. Not saying I want us to go down btw.

Looking towards next season on 11:50 - Apr 9 with 1059 viewsblacky200

We'll be fine. We were being told in a thread last month that we'll get 10 million for Freeman. That should help us plug the holes.
Looking towards next season on 12:00 - Apr 9 with 1033 views1MoreBrightonR

Looking towards next season on 11:43 - Apr 9 by Gloucs_R

Would you rather struggle at the bottom of the championship and watch your best, youngest players get slaughtered every week in a toxic environment or watch them flourish in League 1 and be challenging?

I only go to the hand full of games in a season now anyway so for me I would personally rather see us challenge and bring kids through. Not saying I want us to go down btw.

But i think the point is more "who's to say we will flourish in League 1"? firstly, our squad isnt great for league one, secondly, the atmosphere will be terrible around the club and lastly, history is littered with arrogant teams who think they will walk a league after relegation, and you know what, quite a lot of the time they really dont.

genuinely trying not to think of the next few games, let alone next season.
Looking towards next season on 12:02 - Apr 9 with 1028 viewsDorse

I keep thinking (or clinging onto hope in a state of utter self-delusion) that the youngsters-thing might work for us next season. Before calling the men in white coats, think of why this might work.

i) The younger players have been operating as a group or in age-group teams for a few years, so they know each others' game. This makes integration simpler.
ii) They have all had some, albeit limited at times, exposure to First Team football and several have had successful loan spells.
iii) They aren't tainted with the failures associated with the current clusterfcuk that summarises QPR's recent championship campaigns.
iv) Coming through from the youth programme will probably mean that the crowd give them more leeway (although don't bet the house on it).
v) The range of players that fit the 'young' label include keepers, full backs, midfielders, wide players, creative forwards and strikers*. This means external recruitment can be narrowed down to specific areas (i.e. central defence and, probably, a specialist left sided player).
vi) We already have them under contract! There has to be a point to this!

I know we aren't exactly dealing with the 'Class Of 92' here but there are some decent players in that list who would certainly give more of a fcuk than, say, Hemed, Lynch or (based on his last performance) Cameron.

* Lumley, Dieng, Furlong, Kakay, Hamalainen, Manning, Chair, Smyth, BOS, Oteh, Eze. Although you could possibly add Fox and Owens to that list.

Looking towards next season on 13:35 - Apr 9 with 877 viewsderbyhoop

I am a great believer in the sides coming up being able to take the momentum into (the first half of) the following season. So you often see promoted side finishing in the top 10.

But the opposite can also be true. Sides on the slide can keep sliding. At the moment we are on a downslope that wouldn't look out of place in the Winter Olympics.

With the loss of parachute payments, it is hard to see any of the out of contract players being offered a deal. At least, not one they would consider acceptable. If that's the case, we lose Rangel, Lynch, Hall and Bidwell from an already shaky defence. We'd lose Wzsolek and Cousins and may be forced into accepting offers for Freeman and Luongo or Eze. Wells and Hemed will return to parent clubs, although the latter won't be missed.
We'll be left with a shell of a squad plus Smyth, Dieng and Chair who seem to be relishing their loan spells. That cannot be said about Oteh or Goss.

A combination of a depleted squad, a complete collapse of confidence and financial constraints does not bode well. Gary Penrice has got a hell of a job.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Looking towards next season on 13:57 - Apr 9 with 836 viewsGloucs_R

Looking towards next season on 13:35 - Apr 9 by derbyhoop

I am a great believer in the sides coming up being able to take the momentum into (the first half of) the following season. So you often see promoted side finishing in the top 10.

But the opposite can also be true. Sides on the slide can keep sliding. At the moment we are on a downslope that wouldn't look out of place in the Winter Olympics.

With the loss of parachute payments, it is hard to see any of the out of contract players being offered a deal. At least, not one they would consider acceptable. If that's the case, we lose Rangel, Lynch, Hall and Bidwell from an already shaky defence. We'd lose Wzsolek and Cousins and may be forced into accepting offers for Freeman and Luongo or Eze. Wells and Hemed will return to parent clubs, although the latter won't be missed.
We'll be left with a shell of a squad plus Smyth, Dieng and Chair who seem to be relishing their loan spells. That cannot be said about Oteh or Goss.

A combination of a depleted squad, a complete collapse of confidence and financial constraints does not bode well. Gary Penrice has got a hell of a job.

Just had a little read about Goss. Seems to have been dropped to the bench and apart from set pieces contributes very little.

Oteh cant get near the starting line up but the Walsall manager has just been sacked.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024