Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo 16:54 - Apr 16 with 24262 viewsloftboy

All my deliveries were in W1, SW1 and SE1, drove past the shell building, it’s covered in graffiti, ended up with an hours overtime as it took me best part of two hours to get back to East London from Victoria.
So one big question, how is causing massive traffic jams good for the environment?
My company has just replaced its entire fleet of 100 vans with ultra low emission vans, all buses are now super green, so businesses seem to be doing their bit. Just seems senseless to me.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 17:11 - Apr 16 with 11202 viewsstevec

Seem to have been listening to this apocalyptic climate change stuff for what must be about 30 years now. Can anyone point me in the direction of any part of Britain that has disappeared under water yet? Or, for that matter, the world.

i'm all for cleaning the air up, stuck in a jam along Marylebone Road on a hot summers day is distinctly unpleasant. But, as you say, business and local government seem to be making a proportional response to this.

Perhaps our protesters could hire a fleet of Electric Buses, jog on over to Beijing and dub graffiti all over their property. I'd pay good money to watch the response to that.
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 17:16 - Apr 16 with 11186 viewsLblock

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 17:11 - Apr 16 by stevec

Seem to have been listening to this apocalyptic climate change stuff for what must be about 30 years now. Can anyone point me in the direction of any part of Britain that has disappeared under water yet? Or, for that matter, the world.

i'm all for cleaning the air up, stuck in a jam along Marylebone Road on a hot summers day is distinctly unpleasant. But, as you say, business and local government seem to be making a proportional response to this.

Perhaps our protesters could hire a fleet of Electric Buses, jog on over to Beijing and dub graffiti all over their property. I'd pay good money to watch the response to that.

Once Sandbanks disappears under the sea our work will have been done and we can revert to eating beanshoots and roly-poly

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 17:53 - Apr 16 with 11084 viewsJuzzie

On a global scale most pollution, certainly sea rubbish, come from SE Asia, China and India.

At work a few years ago we were all forced to go on these recycling drives etc in terms of what we manufactured and sold. Nothing wrong with that per see but it was a lot of hard work by everyone and the countries mentioned do as much harm to the planet in three days that we in the UK do in a year so it all seemed a bit like three steps forward and 365 steps back.
I think the the biggest polluters need bringing to task first but it seems to me that ain't going to happen.
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 18:12 - Apr 16 with 11034 viewsDavieQPR

My local council sends all its recycling to Birmingham 125 miles away using lorries.
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 18:33 - Apr 16 with 10991 viewscolinallcars

My local council tells us not to put wet items in the recycling. Unfortunately the big recycling bins at the end of our block of flats all have broken tops so the rain pours on and soaks all the stuff we have carefully sorted out.
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 18:43 - Apr 16 with 10964 viewsAntti_Heinola

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 17:53 - Apr 16 by Juzzie

On a global scale most pollution, certainly sea rubbish, come from SE Asia, China and India.

At work a few years ago we were all forced to go on these recycling drives etc in terms of what we manufactured and sold. Nothing wrong with that per see but it was a lot of hard work by everyone and the countries mentioned do as much harm to the planet in three days that we in the UK do in a year so it all seemed a bit like three steps forward and 365 steps back.
I think the the biggest polluters need bringing to task first but it seems to me that ain't going to happen.

Unfortunately, 'it's not worth it because them lot are doing more of it' is not going to cut it. There simply isn't time for that sort of nonsense.
China is at least spending a lot of money on looking for (and finding) green solutions, and suspect over the coming years they'll lead the way on that score. We can't just sit around pointing at each other arguing over who is and who isn't doing their bit. Real action is needed and fast, and until governments wake up and start properly legislating I hope protests like this (that are happening in many countries over the coming weeks) continue. This is the single biggest issue in the world for everyone - it's astonishing how it's continually dismissed, kicked down the road or put on the backburner.
Well done the protestors - keep it up.

Bare bones.

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 18:57 - Apr 16 with 10927 viewsMatch82

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 17:11 - Apr 16 by stevec

You mean like Venice?
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 19:09 - Apr 16 with 10878 viewscolinallcars

There are places along our east coast that are gradually being lost to the sea - mainly in Suffolk and Yorkshire but I think it's been going on for hundreds of years rather than climate change
Login to get fewer ads

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 22:25 - Apr 16 with 10647 viewssmegma

The Police should be armed with bars of soap to throw at the protestors.
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 22:41 - Apr 16 with 10620 viewsBoston

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 18:12 - Apr 16 by DavieQPR

My local council sends all its recycling to Birmingham 125 miles away using lorries.

Ever tried moving ten ton of cans on a bicycle?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 22:59 - Apr 16 with 10573 viewsFDC

I watched Extinction Rebellion's promo video a little while ago. The first part, dealing with the science of climate change and the extreme urgency of the situation is genuinely affecting. I thought I was fairly up to speed but i found it profoundly alarming.

The second part, on their theory of change, was a bit bobbins imo. It's essentially a martyrdom model. As far as I can tell they've looked a political movements of the past, noticed there were lots of arrests amd decided it was the getting arrested that was effective. Someone I know used to organise with the guy who set up ER and by all accounts he's a bit of a crank.

Having said that, lots of people were alarmed and activated by the IPCC report last year, and in the absence of answers elsewhere a lot of people are getting involved with ER. And to be fair they're achieving their stated objective of getting attention from the media (literally that is their aim: they have calculations for how many arrests they need to make the front page etc)

Incidentally it's a real shame Labour aren't leading more on the green new deal stuff, I'm trying to get a motion through my CLP on this at the moment. As Antti says, it really is the biggest issue facing anyone at the moment. A really salient point from the ER video is that scientific publishing is inherently conservative. The IPCC is structurally _very_ conservative. As such, 2 degrees is a very conservative estimate. And 3 and 4 degrees is end of days stuff.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 23:06]
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 23:37 - Apr 16 with 10498 viewsFDC

Having said that.... this is a wild, dangerously naive message from an environmental direct action group.

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 00:17 - Apr 17 with 10457 viewsAgedR

The effects of man made climate change on the eco system, world wide, are now almost undisputed amongst respectable scientific sources.

It’s comforting to see (edit...some of...) this forum stand up against this do-gooder nonsense.

Because they had a shit day at work
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 0:43]

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 01:57 - Apr 17 with 10395 viewsTrom

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 17:53 - Apr 16 by Juzzie

The idea that it’s only developing nations that are causing warming just isn’t true.

This link has the ranking of countries globally per C02 emissions
https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 02:51 - Apr 17 with 10382 viewstimcocking

Well that is it, sadly. We're fcuked good and proper. People in England wasting there time. we're killing ourselves and the people in charge still say it isn't happening. Whales aren't really full of plastic, Tigers only pretending to go extinct in the wild.

UK is literally a drop in the ocean in comparison with what the Chinese get up to. There's nothing they wouldn't massacre to make a buck.

I did a degree in environmental science years back, depressed the crap out of me then, let alone now. Back in 1993, the entire annual USA budget to spend on alternative and renewable energy was less than the price of producing a solitary B52 bomber, of which they were making 50 each year or whatever it was. Oil magnates were in charge then and are still in charge now, they don't want the planet saved. Donald Trump hasn't exactly improved things, the c@nt. And those recycling nazis wasting everybody's' time. We need more than that.

And still, the UK media seems more worried about making sure men can enter women's sport competitions than in trying to save the planet. We could easily stop Tigers becoming extinct but we've chosen not to bother, they're more interested in Real Madrid and Barcelona.

We need a freakin' revolution, or perhaps Aliens to come and save us.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 6:40]
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 06:49 - Apr 17 with 10285 viewsSharpediver

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 18:43 - Apr 16 by Antti_Heinola

Unfortunately, 'it's not worth it because them lot are doing more of it' is not going to cut it. There simply isn't time for that sort of nonsense.
China is at least spending a lot of money on looking for (and finding) green solutions, and suspect over the coming years they'll lead the way on that score. We can't just sit around pointing at each other arguing over who is and who isn't doing their bit. Real action is needed and fast, and until governments wake up and start properly legislating I hope protests like this (that are happening in many countries over the coming weeks) continue. This is the single biggest issue in the world for everyone - it's astonishing how it's continually dismissed, kicked down the road or put on the backburner.
Well done the protestors - keep it up.

Well said.
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 07:09 - Apr 17 with 10260 viewsSharpediver

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 23:37 - Apr 16 by FDC

Having said that.... this is a wild, dangerously naive message from an environmental direct action group.

It's not. I know a policeman who completely sympathises with the protests. There must be others too.
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 07:37 - Apr 17 with 10222 viewsloftboy

Targeting the tube network today, surely they should be encouraging people onto public transport not disrupting it?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 07:51 - Apr 17 with 10185 viewsFDC

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 07:09 - Apr 17 by Sharpediver

It's not. I know a policeman who completely sympathises with the protests. There must be others too.

It doesn't matter about individuals and whether they're nice people or not. As police they have a function and that function is to maintain the operation of the state. That's before getting in to the recent history of "spy cops" infiltrating environmental direct action groups.
Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 08:00 - Apr 17 with 10160 viewsTheChef

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 23:37 - Apr 16 by FDC

As usual with these kinds of groups, they're just a bunch of useful idiots.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 08:01 - Apr 17 with 10168 viewsLblock

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 07:37 - Apr 17 by loftboy

Targeting the tube network today, surely they should be encouraging people onto public transport not disrupting it?

My thoughts exactly

For years I’ve heard the tree huggers state that more people should be forced onto the overcrowded, hot, sweaty and expensive tube network rather than use cars or buses. So today they’re going to bring it to a halt as an example of what precisely????

Some people are so determined to protest that they lose complete sight of what they are protesting against or for.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 08:05 - Apr 17 with 10158 viewsTheChef

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 08:01 - Apr 17 by Lblock

My thoughts exactly

For years I’ve heard the tree huggers state that more people should be forced onto the overcrowded, hot, sweaty and expensive tube network rather than use cars or buses. So today they’re going to bring it to a halt as an example of what precisely????

Some people are so determined to protest that they lose complete sight of what they are protesting against or for.

I'd argue they're just being put out there to wind people up.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 08:17 - Apr 17 with 10144 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've heard a few interviewed but they never mention overpopulation.

You'd think with finite resources this would be a priority with their other causes.

Or have they?

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 08:40 - Apr 17 with 10094 viewskropotkin41

You lot are so funny. LOL.

I have some pretty fundamental criticisms of the ER, I believe their approach is naive.

Still, I'm afraid the climate breakdown science is very clear, and, if you're at all prone to being terrified, to be approached with caution.

Fortunately, because I am of the opinion that it's too late to avoid a global catastrophe, and that capitalism is as incapable as any hierarchical society have ever been of reforming itself meaningfully, I don't care what people think about the issues. I can have a good laugh at climate change deniers and the critics of principled people who really believe they can protest us to a different outcome.

We, my friends, are royally fcuked. The Earth system is moving into a different state and it's not clear whether human habitat will be widely or at all available afterwards. Sitting in a traffic jam because of the ER is the least of your problems.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Got caught up big time today in the climate change demo on 09:00 - Apr 17 with 10042 views2Thomas2Bowles

The good news is, the Earth will manage very well without us till the Sun burns it up in 3/5 Billion years

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024