Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So..what now? 09:39 - Apr 23 with 14012 viewsloftus77

The morning after. The 2018/19 season is over - with 2 'close season' games to go.

Firstly. Let’s stop having a go, just for a second. A sincere well done to Les Ferdinand, John Eustace the management staff and all the players this season. The priority of staying in this elite league (the top flight of English football, as opposed to the irrelevant International conglomerate that is the Prem Lge) ) has been achieved. We have to fully acknowledge that. Just ask Rotherham and Bolton fans how they are feeling today. That’s not us. Thank you Rangers.

However, what in the ‘sam holy hill’ do we do now?

We all know that the lights on the ‘relegation dashboard’ for 2019/20 are already all flashing bright red. The parachute payments are gone. We are absorbing FFP consisting of one of the biggest fines in world sport. We have no manager in place. We have a crop of decent young players around the place requiring leadership on-and-off the field in one of the most brutal, competitive, leagues in the world if their fragility is not to be exposed. Our best player (Luke Freeman), clearly a Championship standard midfielder, will almost certainly be offski (Fulham is my bet). The rest are League One standard at best — and that is no criticism. The punters aren’t daft - empty seats abound, not out of disloyalty but probably weary cynicism. The upper tier of the School End is going to be a seriously happy place next season unless something fairly major happens.

In a sense, it’s all so annoying. Since 2015 we have been well run. Good decisions have been made: Warren Farm, new plans for a stadium, excellent community work, proper scouting for young players. IMHO, a lot of really good stuff is going on at QPR. It’s just the 20 years of mis-management from 1995-2015 coupled with the strength of the current Championship which casts a huge shadow over our ability to soldier on at this level in the short and medium term.

I guess, as fans, all we can do is get behind the team form August and fully understand the challenge we face and be totally clear about expectation. We are 19th in the Championship. If we repeat that position this time next year it will be , in all seriousness, one of the greatest achievements in our history — yes, probably comparable, in real terms, with 1967 and 1976. That’s why Les is right; the choice of next manager is crucial and it just has to work — somehow — to galvanise what we have, unearth some gems (…) and give us a chance.

Bring it on….

So..what now? on 14:50 - Apr 23 with 2828 viewsGloucs_R

I expect to be competitive and mid table.

Norwich have won the league on a fairly strict budget.
Sheff Utd have come 2nd, as good as, on a budget
Bristol City - 8th
Preston 12th
Hull 13th
Blackburn and Brentford - 14/15th

There is no reason why we shouldnt have been further up the league this season with our budget.

Next season, no idea without seeing who we sign but we need 2 x CB, 1 x LB, 1 x DM and a striker. They all need to be better than what we have, not young kids.

Got to be honest, I dont have any faith in the players out on loan coming back and doing anything next season. Apart from maybe Dieng.

Poll: Are we staying up?

So..what now? on 14:50 - Apr 23 with 2827 viewsQPR_John

So..what now? on 11:43 - Apr 23 by daveB

I think if you get below 52 points you've had a very poor season and will be lucky to stay up

You may be right about having a poor season if you get below 52 points but stats in most cases suggest there will have been three teams with a worse season
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 15:03]
So..what now? on 14:53 - Apr 23 with 2815 viewsAntti_Heinola

So..what now? on 14:50 - Apr 23 by Gloucs_R

I expect to be competitive and mid table.

Norwich have won the league on a fairly strict budget.
Sheff Utd have come 2nd, as good as, on a budget
Bristol City - 8th
Preston 12th
Hull 13th
Blackburn and Brentford - 14/15th

There is no reason why we shouldnt have been further up the league this season with our budget.

Next season, no idea without seeing who we sign but we need 2 x CB, 1 x LB, 1 x DM and a striker. They all need to be better than what we have, not young kids.

Got to be honest, I dont have any faith in the players out on loan coming back and doing anything next season. Apart from maybe Dieng.

I'd agree with all that mate - a crying shame that's where we were headed before the new year collapse.

Bare bones.

So..what now? on 14:56 - Apr 23 with 2810 viewsBrianMcCarthy

So..what now? on 14:49 - Apr 23 by Hooped_Pullie

A lot of really good, thoughtful stuff going on with this post : even between people who are respectfully disagreeing with one another.

My take : for the very little it's worth.

This time last year, we were preparing to finish the season on 56 points, having had our purple patches, our low points (though even Forest at home last season somehow doesn't look so bad now) and having lashed out precisely none of the Club's very limited resources on expensive loans and end-of-career contracts to players who had good working lives elsewhere. To the surprise of some, that was not deemed good enough, with the manager and his coaching staff shown the door in May.

So what then : a manager brought in who (despite a previous positive coaching connection) raised little enthusiasm among the fanbase. With him came a change of attitude towards short-term expenditure, and following a disastrous start, a period of mildly increased hope and/or expectation.

Winter bites, darkness descends, and the players mysteriously put the season away with the Christmas decorations despite the distance to the bright days of May seeming interminable. Manager goes (again) as we crawl painfully towards the barest of safety, well short of last year's points tally, depressingly pulled backwards.

Elsewhere, money is doing some talking, but it will never be the only voice in this division, as those making properly good use of limited resources are having their say. And the beauty of the Championship is that - despite it getting harder to succeed every year - nous, intelligence, a shrewd transfer policy and a winning culture can ensure if not success, then the palpable absence of failure.

So, next manager. Next season. Another roll of the dice. No matter the indicators, I have never anticipated relegation (or promotion or play-off places) during any summer, and I won't be starting now.

I love this Club. This is my team, my hope. Whether by accident or design, I pray that the powers that be get it right this summer - it is just as possible for them to do so as it is for them to fail.

I will see. We all will.

Nice writing, and agree with it all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

So..what now? on 15:06 - Apr 23 with 2771 viewsRangersTweeter

So..what now? on 09:52 - Apr 23 by enfieldargh

Supporting QPR is what I do.

Yes its frustrating seeing clubs some fans perceive as inferior to us doing well and appearing to be well organised , PNE, Blackburn, Wigan plus clubs who are getting it right Sheff U, Brizzle(Almost).

There are then the ones that burn cash like we used to do and may find themselves not going up and then facing FFP.

we have good young talent emerging plus I'm hoping that our larger than normal scouting network will find new recruits to prop it all up.

I dont expect promotion I only hope I see effort, enthusiasm and a will to win from our players. If I see that then win loose or draw its my QPR, even if were not very good.

Please though can we have a manger who can be given time to make things work

Spot on.
So..what now? on 15:18 - Apr 23 with 2734 viewsTonto

I compare us to the proverbial oil tanker. Its going to take time to turn this bugger around. But I do see signs of it tuning, all be it very slowly.

The trouble is that most football fans have the patience of Mayfly on heat. It has to be instant success or out with the bathwater even if it takes the baby with it.

I see positives with several youngsters being regulars in the first team nd others who have a chance next year getting valuable experience with Stevenage, Accrington Stanley and the like.

I see positives with the training ground starting implementation in the next few weeks

I see positives with the wages under a lot more control than for the last decade.

I see pretty much nothing but negativity on these pages though... with lots of finger pointing and so on.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

So..what now? on 15:32 - Apr 23 with 2689 viewsQPR_John

So..what now? on 14:53 - Apr 23 by Antti_Heinola

I'd agree with all that mate - a crying shame that's where we were headed before the new year collapse.

Is that not the bottom line is there another reason other than a complete squadwise drop in form. We started poorly but got our act together and were threatening a top six place. So we have to assume the squad was capable so what did happen in January. Was it injuries compounded by the transfer embargo or something else. The teams currently at the bottom have been there for the majority of the season as is usually the case unlike us. Over the last 18 games we are bottom on current form having got only 9 points which is really unbelievable. Points per game of 1.5 over the first 26 to 0.5 over the next 18. Clutching at straws maybe but I wonder if there is some underlying reason for what happened outside of the normal and we are not as bad as things would suggest.
So..what now? on 15:48 - Apr 23 with 2646 viewsBrianMcCarthy

So..what now? on 15:32 - Apr 23 by QPR_John

Is that not the bottom line is there another reason other than a complete squadwise drop in form. We started poorly but got our act together and were threatening a top six place. So we have to assume the squad was capable so what did happen in January. Was it injuries compounded by the transfer embargo or something else. The teams currently at the bottom have been there for the majority of the season as is usually the case unlike us. Over the last 18 games we are bottom on current form having got only 9 points which is really unbelievable. Points per game of 1.5 over the first 26 to 0.5 over the next 18. Clutching at straws maybe but I wonder if there is some underlying reason for what happened outside of the normal and we are not as bad as things would suggest.

Good question.

I can think of four reasons (there will probably be others): -

1) We used the same players continually, leading to staleness, injuries and tiredness
2) Worst refereeing 'luck' I've ever known us to have. It's cost us games, points and momentum, and
3) Negativity by McClaren - as the bad run continued we sat deeper, and deeper and deeper. We played the ball longer. We rarely used Eze. We wasted time continually. Negative tactics hardly promote positive thinking. Morale must have crumbled wuthin that squad.
4) A squad that had a great work ethic eventually got collectively lazy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

So..what now? on 16:06 - Apr 23 with 2592 viewsAntti_Heinola

So..what now? on 15:48 - Apr 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Good question.

I can think of four reasons (there will probably be others): -

1) We used the same players continually, leading to staleness, injuries and tiredness
2) Worst refereeing 'luck' I've ever known us to have. It's cost us games, points and momentum, and
3) Negativity by McClaren - as the bad run continued we sat deeper, and deeper and deeper. We played the ball longer. We rarely used Eze. We wasted time continually. Negative tactics hardly promote positive thinking. Morale must have crumbled wuthin that squad.
4) A squad that had a great work ethic eventually got collectively lazy.

5) 8 games in I think 23 or 24 days, mainly against teams in the top 6.

6) Loss of confidence due to all the above.

Bare bones.

So..what now? on 16:24 - Apr 23 with 2552 viewsTacticalR

@BrianMcCarthy '2) Worst refereeing 'luck' I've ever known us to have. It's cost us games, points and momentum'

Luke Freeman was interviewed on The Loftcast at the beginning of the month and he said it's the worst run of luck he's experienced in football.
https://soundcloud.com/theloftcast/loftcast-norwich

Air hostess clique

So..what now? on 17:01 - Apr 23 with 2473 viewsderbyhoop

I think we have to look forward to another season of struggle, hoping to find 3 teams worse than us. Possibles remain Millwall, Reading, Wigan and I'd be surprised if the 3 coming up finish in the top half.
We've conceded goals for fun and we have Bidwell, Lynch, Hall and Rangel out of contract.
So we probably need at least 2 defenders, and they can't be kids.
We've got 3 keepers (Lumley, Ingram and Dieng) all of a similar age. One probably needs to go.
I doubt we can afford to keep Pav and Cousins, maybe not either.
Freeman is likely to go, hopefully for a big fee.
We've got Matt Smith, Oteh, who struggles to get in a poor Walsall side; Smyth, who struggles to get in a poor Accrington side; and Walker to fire in the goals.
All 3 loanees are likely to go back to their own clubs. Even if we wanted to , we couldn't afford to keep them.

Unless some of the out of contract players re-sign and we pull out some gems from Gary Penrice's playbook, we look a very poor squad as of today.

And let's not kid ourselves that the young players are going to come galloping to the rescue. Chair, probably, but I don't see any others being of Championship standard at the moment.

But there's a long wait until the first weekend in August.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

So..what now? on 17:53 - Apr 23 with 2397 viewsPinnerPaul

So..what now? on 11:20 - Apr 23 by daveB

Sorry I can't celebrate staying up. We've won a grand total of 10 points in 2019 out of a possible 57 on offer, thats abysmal

We were told by many fans last season and by the owner that the team was better than a 16th place finish and the aim should be mid table or top half, to finish with less points and 3 places lower than last season is an absolute failure from everyone at the club, there is no positive it's been piss poor and we are really lucky that the bottom 4 have been awful. Usually need 52 points top stay up, we won't get that many.

Massive improvement needed next season

Without looking it up , don't think that bit about the 52 pts is correct - think Clive has pointed out previously that was only needed once in the last 10 years - something like that.

A general point - not aimed at Dave - but yet again on here, we're going down the same route as previous seasons - with the summer spent saying we are going to struggle and that people will be 'happy' with survival - but then we have a season where we survive - but finish 16 - 18th and then its all doom and gloom again.

Now 16, 18, 18 - whatever it is/was is hardly cause to get the bunting out, but please don't spend the summer predicting relegation and then come the end of the season still say you're not 'happy' with 18th or whatever.
So..what now? on 19:12 - Apr 23 with 2315 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Seeing as we basically secured safety on Boxing Day, I’d like too think we entered the close season in January and will be in such terrific shape come August, I wouldn’t be surprised if we tear the division a second one next season!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

So..what now? on 19:27 - Apr 23 with 2287 viewsTHEBUSH

So what now, well we need to get another Clint Hill and Sean Derry from somewhere, to guide our young players along.

I also think we need an experienced goalkeeper from somewhere, whom and where, i don't know

There are quite a few experienced players being released on frees, so ain't gonna cost much.
So..what now? on 19:41 - Apr 23 with 2264 viewsMatch82

So..what now? on 14:35 - Apr 23 by Lblock

I’m with SteveC - standards, been saying it for years, that and culpability of the key decision makers.

See The Four Year Plan mentioned here and rightly so. The reality is that turned into “The 15 month Plan” in the end. The telling part of that chapter was Amit stepping up and taking the lead (and Flab / Dwarf agreeing to remain in the background), he’s filmed chatting with NW about spend, budget and getting it right as “both our arses will be in a sling”.
Amit and Ishkan seemed to be concerned with due diligence at each and every step and knew to step back and let the experienced football man do his bit but step in and tub thump, lead, bollock or take the spotlight away.

The disaster that was The Bungle Brothers has set us back to a position I don’t think we will ever recover from in my lifetime. Where’s the culpable Phil Beard? Left with a nice lump of cash and never needs to work again.
We shouldn’t need to be wasting millions.... we just need standards and culpability. For a club in our position to have been spending £500k on Luke Goss is an absolute scandal!! That is equivalent to the signings of Ji Sung Park and the like over the years. I’d expect full chapter and verse and the DoF to sign off on such players etc

Currently we still seem to be in a Bungle malaise but I’d hope we will step away from that this summer
My ideal is a club pulling together top to bottom with the first team squad made up with the right blend of experience pro’s with dedication and mentor skills to be pulling through some home grown kids and lower league / overseas jems with maybe one or three really good Prem loans
The stuff of dreams!!!!

We should have known that Luke Goss was destined to fail here when he kept asking us in the job interview when he would be famous
So..what now? on 19:54 - Apr 23 with 2248 viewsdaveB

So..what now? on 17:53 - Apr 23 by PinnerPaul

Without looking it up , don't think that bit about the 52 pts is correct - think Clive has pointed out previously that was only needed once in the last 10 years - something like that.

A general point - not aimed at Dave - but yet again on here, we're going down the same route as previous seasons - with the summer spent saying we are going to struggle and that people will be 'happy' with survival - but then we have a season where we survive - but finish 16 - 18th and then its all doom and gloom again.

Now 16, 18, 18 - whatever it is/was is hardly cause to get the bunting out, but please don't spend the summer predicting relegation and then come the end of the season still say you're not 'happy' with 18th or whatever.

I know you can get less than 52 points and stay up but I feel if you do that you are lucky to stay up as that is a pathetic effort. 138 points on offer and can't even get to 50 points. We were on 38 points on January 1st, to not get past 52 is an absolute disgrace.

fair play if you are happy with how season has gone, I think we've been useless.

My expectation was to finish between 12th and 16th whilst giving the likes of Smyth, Eze, Chair, Bright and Lumley 15-20 games this season and continue to build a team who can compete in the top half of this division. That process started last season and should have been built on rather than set fire to for a complete reboot this summer, You were among those telling me I was pessimistic and negative for the sake of it when I still felt that was where we would finish in November and you were probably right to do so as it looked like we should be finishing far higher but for us to not even achieve 12th - 16th is pathetic
So..what now? on 20:23 - Apr 23 with 2207 viewsLunarJetman

Did you miss my post on the first page?

In the last 10 years, getting 51 points would have kept you up 9 out of 10 times. The 48 points we currently have would have kept you up 8 out of 10 times.

The side finishing 3rd bottom in that time has averaged 44.6 points. Getting 46 points would have kept you up 6 out of 10 times.
So..what now? on 21:57 - Apr 23 with 2110 viewspaulparker

It’s not a sincere well done from me at all , Dave B is right it’s a pathetic haul of points from a dog turd of a season that started a mess and has ended a mess
Serious questions need to be asked of everyone involved at QPR because we are a shambles
If you start with the board then they really are a special case
They sacked Olly because 16th wasn’t good enough, the progression of the youngsters wasn’t good enough either apprantley so instead of letting him see out the year they sacked him and have had to pay up a year of his contract and for what a manager the fan base wasn’t fussed with and a manager who lets face it didn’t want to be here if he was honest with himself
The remit was to do better and “coach “ our kids better than our bumbling funny talking ex manager could
Well that never happened we got stuffed in our opening games the kids were dropped and every signing Les and penrice suggested were turned down for loan players who couldn’t get in their own reserve teams ,
We have lost the most amount of home games in a season lost as many games as Bolton and got d1cked 7-1 and lost countless last minute goals oh and no one has improved not one player so excuse me for not getting the bunting out on a great season
The irony of all this is we are now paying off the super coach who was worse than the supposed Womble we sacked
That’s 2 managers we are paying off if anyone is keeping count a brilliant piece of business savvy that from our board who continue to learn from their mistakes
That’s not to say Les should get away with it either , how much of the parachute money have we wasted? How many foreign players have we signed who can’t settle , how many managers have we gone through in the 4 years of his reign , that would be 4 so much for stability
When he took over the buzz word of the day was being the QPR of old buy cheap and sell high ,
Well how’s that going 4 years later , not very well
I’ll tell you who is like the QPR of old that would be Brentford a club who buys brilliantly sells for over the odds and shock horror they have 2 or 3 managers lined up for when one of theirs gets poached, they even have a stadium to move into while we can’t get a shovel into warren farm
It’s not just Brentford either , Sheffield Utd, Preston, Millwall all have smaller budgets but are much better than us off and on the pitch
Those clubs have 5 year plans we don’t even have a 5 day plan
We had an opportunity to run the club alike an Ajax or a Bilbao with QPR men running things but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot every season
Big changes need to happen but I fear we will do an Ipswich

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

So..what now? on 22:40 - Apr 23 with 2036 viewsPunteR

So..what now? on 21:57 - Apr 23 by paulparker

It’s not a sincere well done from me at all , Dave B is right it’s a pathetic haul of points from a dog turd of a season that started a mess and has ended a mess
Serious questions need to be asked of everyone involved at QPR because we are a shambles
If you start with the board then they really are a special case
They sacked Olly because 16th wasn’t good enough, the progression of the youngsters wasn’t good enough either apprantley so instead of letting him see out the year they sacked him and have had to pay up a year of his contract and for what a manager the fan base wasn’t fussed with and a manager who lets face it didn’t want to be here if he was honest with himself
The remit was to do better and “coach “ our kids better than our bumbling funny talking ex manager could
Well that never happened we got stuffed in our opening games the kids were dropped and every signing Les and penrice suggested were turned down for loan players who couldn’t get in their own reserve teams ,
We have lost the most amount of home games in a season lost as many games as Bolton and got d1cked 7-1 and lost countless last minute goals oh and no one has improved not one player so excuse me for not getting the bunting out on a great season
The irony of all this is we are now paying off the super coach who was worse than the supposed Womble we sacked
That’s 2 managers we are paying off if anyone is keeping count a brilliant piece of business savvy that from our board who continue to learn from their mistakes
That’s not to say Les should get away with it either , how much of the parachute money have we wasted? How many foreign players have we signed who can’t settle , how many managers have we gone through in the 4 years of his reign , that would be 4 so much for stability
When he took over the buzz word of the day was being the QPR of old buy cheap and sell high ,
Well how’s that going 4 years later , not very well
I’ll tell you who is like the QPR of old that would be Brentford a club who buys brilliantly sells for over the odds and shock horror they have 2 or 3 managers lined up for when one of theirs gets poached, they even have a stadium to move into while we can’t get a shovel into warren farm
It’s not just Brentford either , Sheffield Utd, Preston, Millwall all have smaller budgets but are much better than us off and on the pitch
Those clubs have 5 year plans we don’t even have a 5 day plan
We had an opportunity to run the club alike an Ajax or a Bilbao with QPR men running things but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot every season
Big changes need to happen but I fear we will do an Ipswich

Spot on.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

So..what now? on 22:49 - Apr 23 with 2011 viewsted_hendrix

So..what now? on 14:49 - Apr 23 by Hooped_Pullie

A lot of really good, thoughtful stuff going on with this post : even between people who are respectfully disagreeing with one another.

My take : for the very little it's worth.

This time last year, we were preparing to finish the season on 56 points, having had our purple patches, our low points (though even Forest at home last season somehow doesn't look so bad now) and having lashed out precisely none of the Club's very limited resources on expensive loans and end-of-career contracts to players who had good working lives elsewhere. To the surprise of some, that was not deemed good enough, with the manager and his coaching staff shown the door in May.

So what then : a manager brought in who (despite a previous positive coaching connection) raised little enthusiasm among the fanbase. With him came a change of attitude towards short-term expenditure, and following a disastrous start, a period of mildly increased hope and/or expectation.

Winter bites, darkness descends, and the players mysteriously put the season away with the Christmas decorations despite the distance to the bright days of May seeming interminable. Manager goes (again) as we crawl painfully towards the barest of safety, well short of last year's points tally, depressingly pulled backwards.

Elsewhere, money is doing some talking, but it will never be the only voice in this division, as those making properly good use of limited resources are having their say. And the beauty of the Championship is that - despite it getting harder to succeed every year - nous, intelligence, a shrewd transfer policy and a winning culture can ensure if not success, then the palpable absence of failure.

So, next manager. Next season. Another roll of the dice. No matter the indicators, I have never anticipated relegation (or promotion or play-off places) during any summer, and I won't be starting now.

I love this Club. This is my team, my hope. Whether by accident or design, I pray that the powers that be get it right this summer - it is just as possible for them to do so as it is for them to fail.

I will see. We all will.

A good post HP and good to see you posting on here again.

We go again next season, who knows?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

So..what now? on 18:00 - Apr 24 with 1798 viewsPinnerPaul

So..what now? on 19:54 - Apr 23 by daveB

I know you can get less than 52 points and stay up but I feel if you do that you are lucky to stay up as that is a pathetic effort. 138 points on offer and can't even get to 50 points. We were on 38 points on January 1st, to not get past 52 is an absolute disgrace.

fair play if you are happy with how season has gone, I think we've been useless.

My expectation was to finish between 12th and 16th whilst giving the likes of Smyth, Eze, Chair, Bright and Lumley 15-20 games this season and continue to build a team who can compete in the top half of this division. That process started last season and should have been built on rather than set fire to for a complete reboot this summer, You were among those telling me I was pessimistic and negative for the sake of it when I still felt that was where we would finish in November and you were probably right to do so as it looked like we should be finishing far higher but for us to not even achieve 12th - 16th is pathetic

Agree with most of that Dave - didn't say I was pleased with our season there though did I?

Didn't say I would be 'happy' to avoid relegation either though did I?

Poor, pathetic etc I can accept but 'lucky' to avoid relegation on 48 (min) points isn't - as the stats everyone has quoted show.
So..what now? on 18:23 - Apr 24 with 1773 viewsR_from_afar

"A general point - not aimed at Dave - but yet again on here, we're going down the same route as previous seasons - with the summer spent saying we are going to struggle and that people will be 'happy' with survival - but then we have a season where we survive - but finish 16 - 18th and then its all doom and gloom again".

Exactly what I was thinking.

It has not been a good season but we have survived, against the odds really, and that is something, just ask the fans of the three clubs which go down.

I think we need to accept we have moved into a different era now, one where FFP means the Premier League is much further away, but an era which may ultimately make the club stronger. We'll need to rely on people - coaching staff and players - with a modicum of ability and a huge amount of energy and determination. If we can find the right sort of people, if they can show the requisite desire, and if we fans can be a bit more patient, we might, in time, be able to build a tighter knit, stronger and - whisper it - more successful QPR. There are no quick fixes, though, it will take time. You Rss.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

So..what now? on 23:03 - Apr 24 with 1665 viewsdaveB

So..what now? on 18:23 - Apr 24 by R_from_afar

"A general point - not aimed at Dave - but yet again on here, we're going down the same route as previous seasons - with the summer spent saying we are going to struggle and that people will be 'happy' with survival - but then we have a season where we survive - but finish 16 - 18th and then its all doom and gloom again".

Exactly what I was thinking.

It has not been a good season but we have survived, against the odds really, and that is something, just ask the fans of the three clubs which go down.

I think we need to accept we have moved into a different era now, one where FFP means the Premier League is much further away, but an era which may ultimately make the club stronger. We'll need to rely on people - coaching staff and players - with a modicum of ability and a huge amount of energy and determination. If we can find the right sort of people, if they can show the requisite desire, and if we fans can be a bit more patient, we might, in time, be able to build a tighter knit, stronger and - whisper it - more successful QPR. There are no quick fixes, though, it will take time. You Rss.

survived against the odds? we were 8th at christmas
So..what now? on 13:27 - Apr 25 with 1486 viewsR_from_afar

So..what now? on 23:03 - Apr 24 by daveB

survived against the odds? we were 8th at christmas

Lots of our fans thought we would struggle to stay up before the season started.

To take another point in time, we were a basket case after four games.

The problem with this season is that we won the vast majority of our points in the first half of the season. If our points had been spread more evenly across the 44 games we have played so far, this season would feel - note, feel - better. It would not actually be any better in the final analysis.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

So..what now? on 13:44 - Apr 25 with 1452 viewsdaveB

So..what now? on 13:27 - Apr 25 by R_from_afar

Lots of our fans thought we would struggle to stay up before the season started.

To take another point in time, we were a basket case after four games.

The problem with this season is that we won the vast majority of our points in the first half of the season. If our points had been spread more evenly across the 44 games we have played so far, this season would feel - note, feel - better. It would not actually be any better in the final analysis.

Not sure it would feel better if spread out, we've lost 10 home games far more than last season and only won 1 extra away game despite us being diabolical away last season. We are 2 points behind a team who have had a 9 point deduction. We have 8 points less than last season which many said wasn't good enough and that we were under achieving. We are also 5 points worse off from the season before which was said to be abysmal. We'd have gone down with 48 points that season.

Just to add we currently have our worst points total in this division since relegation in 2001 when we got 40 although a win in the next 2 games would make it only the worst since 2007

Fair play if survival was the aim this season but it shouldn't have been, we were nowhere near going down last season so not sure why we were so worried about that this year with a former England manager in charge and Nakhi Wells replacing Conor Washington up front.

Of course we were a basket case after 4 games but didn't need to be, we had all summer to address the problems we faced in those games and a year on we still have the same issues none of them have been fixed.

Still credit to anyone for trying to put a positive spin on it all, I'd have tried that some years but not after this one, it's been pathetic
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 13:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024