Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beggars 11:30 - Apr 26 with 9074 viewsjohann28

Is it just me or is there a distinct rise in the number of beggars in/around town - particularly around the railway stations and on the tube? In my day (I'm talking 70s/80s) it was bad enough but the vast majority seemed to be pretty genial old soaks whereas now there seems to be large numbers of young people (dependent on drugs?) who you'd think could do much better things with their lives. Why is this happening? And are there any solutions?
Beggars on 11:35 - Apr 26 with 6972 viewsjohncharles

They’re all multi millionaire con men with a Rolls Royce round the corner waiting to whisk them away to there Cotswold mansion homes.

Strong and stable my arse.

Beggars on 11:52 - Apr 26 with 6897 viewstraininvain

There's a massive homeless problem in London and other major cities in the UK. The majority are ex service or people coming out of prison. Apparently 200,000 in total across the land.

I'd hazard a guess that having a Tory government in recent years hasn't helped numbers and what seems to be a complete focus on Brexti while ignoring other issues.
Beggars on 12:14 - Apr 26 with 6840 viewsBuckR

Beggars on 11:52 - Apr 26 by traininvain

There's a massive homeless problem in London and other major cities in the UK. The majority are ex service or people coming out of prison. Apparently 200,000 in total across the land.

I'd hazard a guess that having a Tory government in recent years hasn't helped numbers and what seems to be a complete focus on Brexti while ignoring other issues.

Or maybe because in some cases it can earn you more than an average job...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/fake-homeless-beggars-claims-he-can-make-
Beggars on 12:29 - Apr 26 with 6802 viewstraininvain

Beggars on 12:14 - Apr 26 by BuckR

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/fake-homeless-beggars-claims-he-can-make-

That's an exception not the rule. And anyone doing that should be ashamed as it discourages people from helping genuinely vulnerable homeless .

I work with a homeless charity looking to help people back into work and I can assure you that these people need our help.
Beggars on 12:31 - Apr 26 with 6796 viewsrunningman75

I would not give money to homeless but have bought food or a coffee for some and they are grateful so I would say genuine.
Beggars on 12:51 - Apr 26 with 6749 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You are becoming a parody mate.

Beggars on 13:12 - Apr 26 with 6707 viewsJuzzie

Beggars on 12:29 - Apr 26 by traininvain

That's an exception not the rule. And anyone doing that should be ashamed as it discourages people from helping genuinely vulnerable homeless .

I work with a homeless charity looking to help people back into work and I can assure you that these people need our help.

These people need the help from Local Authority and the Government, that's what our taxes are for.

Charities are taking money from people twice effectively.

(NB: that's not a go at charities but at Governments who are letting people down left, right and centre that necessitates the need for a charity to be created to do the job they're meant to do).
Beggars on 13:24 - Apr 26 with 6670 viewssmegma

Beggars on 12:31 - Apr 26 by runningman75

I would not give money to homeless but have bought food or a coffee for some and they are grateful so I would say genuine.

During a spell of snow in the winter, we had a guy sitting on the floor outside Shepherds Bush central line station. I brought him inside the station to get out of the cold and let him sit in the photo booth. He went back to his pitch within 10 minutes as he wasn't getting any money . One passerby bought him a MCDs meal with hot drink while another bought him a large container/mug from a local coffee shop. 5 minutes later he went to the Londis corner shop next door, bought a 4 pack of cheap Polish lager and continued begging.Then his missus turned up and they cycled home together.

It's people like this that give a bad name to real homeless people.
Login to get fewer ads

Beggars on 13:30 - Apr 26 with 6655 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Beggars on 13:24 - Apr 26 by smegma

During a spell of snow in the winter, we had a guy sitting on the floor outside Shepherds Bush central line station. I brought him inside the station to get out of the cold and let him sit in the photo booth. He went back to his pitch within 10 minutes as he wasn't getting any money . One passerby bought him a MCDs meal with hot drink while another bought him a large container/mug from a local coffee shop. 5 minutes later he went to the Londis corner shop next door, bought a 4 pack of cheap Polish lager and continued begging.Then his missus turned up and they cycled home together.

It's people like this that give a bad name to real homeless people.

Not exactly the life of Posh & Becks though is it? And I’m sure it’s not preferable.

I don’t give a shit if they spend it on drinks or drugs. The government is the one enabling it not them. Alcoholism and drug addiction are health problems and is the responsibility of the state.
Beggars on 13:32 - Apr 26 with 6648 viewsToast_R

Difficult for a LGA to intervene when they don't have the funds or means to do so.

I was in the bank the other week queuing at an ATM to deposit cash when a homeless girl probably in her 20s but looked more like her 40s such was her narcotic ravaged appearance, pestered me for some spare cash... I politely declined. She then went to the person using the ATM machine to ask the same him. Mid transaction, he also politely declined. Undeterred she went from person to person inside the bank begging for money until she came back to me again by which time I was myself mid transaction using the ATM. I temporarily lost it and told her to F off, you've already asked me!
No one likes being interrupted when your banking money but I did feel a bit bad after, she's obviously very unwell and needs help but seriously, no staff in the bank were taking care of the situation, WTF?

I imagine no amount of social care would help someone like that unless they sought it themselves. Sadly.
Beggars on 13:40 - Apr 26 with 6610 viewseghamranger

They go where the people are.. tourists mainly.
In Windsor last year there were loads in the days before and after the royal wedding. In the evening they all went to a house in Dedworth.

There is also a bloke on the train... Waterloo to reading line who asks for 80 p.
Does it in every carriage and people give him a pound coin. I suppose 80p sounds more convincing than a pound.... I just smile at him and say “ you asked me last night “
Beggars on 13:47 - Apr 26 with 6593 viewsDavieQPR

The beggars around Enfield are all females of East European extraction who are dropped off by minibus in the mornings. These fakes spoil it for the genuine needy. If in doubt only buy the Big Issue they tend to be the legit ones.
Beggars on 13:49 - Apr 26 with 6591 viewsBuckR

Beggars on 12:51 - Apr 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

You are becoming a parody mate.

What part of some cases did you not get?

The question was why there seems to have been a rise. I hardly said that was the case for all did I?

You want to get off that horse mate its getting a bit high for you
[Post edited 26 Apr 2019 13:51]
Beggars on 13:50 - Apr 26 with 6585 viewsTheChef

The type of beggar-demonising fake news bullsh1t you'd expect to see in a Daily Mail stablemate owned by an oligarch.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Beggars on 14:04 - Apr 26 with 6554 viewsBuckR

Beggars on 12:29 - Apr 26 by traininvain

Couldn't agree more. What I meant was its made worse by the sort of people in that article as word sort of goes round that they're not really homeless even though majority do need the help
Beggars on 14:06 - Apr 26 with 6546 viewsNorthernr

Beggars on 13:50 - Apr 26 by TheChef

The type of beggar-demonising fake news bullsh1t you'd expect to see in a Daily Mail stablemate owned by an oligarch.

Bit of filler for them in amongst the real news of what Cara Delevigne's been up to with her pointless, vacuous friends over the last 24 hours.
Beggars on 14:18 - Apr 26 with 6511 viewsrunningman75

Beggars on 13:47 - Apr 26 by DavieQPR

The beggars around Enfield are all females of East European extraction who are dropped off by minibus in the mornings. These fakes spoil it for the genuine needy. If in doubt only buy the Big Issue they tend to be the legit ones.

All the Eastern Europeans I know are hard working though tend to dislike and accuse people usually from the country next to them of scrounging.
Beggars on 14:22 - Apr 26 with 6489 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Beggars on 13:49 - Apr 26 by BuckR

What part of some cases did you not get?

The question was why there seems to have been a rise. I hardly said that was the case for all did I?

You want to get off that horse mate its getting a bit high for you
[Post edited 26 Apr 2019 13:51]

Whatever mate.

Gammons be gammoning.
Beggars on 14:41 - Apr 26 with 6457 viewsBuckR

Beggars on 14:22 - Apr 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

Whatever mate.

Gammons be gammoning.

Jesus Christ

Cant even get a sensible reply
[Post edited 26 Apr 2019 14:43]
Beggars on 15:24 - Apr 26 with 6356 viewspastieR

Beggars on 14:41 - Apr 26 by BuckR

Jesus Christ

Cant even get a sensible reply
[Post edited 26 Apr 2019 14:43]

I won't worry mate, you're delusional if you don't think homelessness is a complex problem, and some of the begging in London is questionable.
Anyway plug for a charity that tries to help the homeless into employment;
https://beam.org/
Beggars on 15:51 - Apr 26 with 6303 viewsA40Bosh

Beggars on 15:24 - Apr 26 by pastieR

I won't worry mate, you're delusional if you don't think homelessness is a complex problem, and some of the begging in London is questionable.
Anyway plug for a charity that tries to help the homeless into employment;
https://beam.org/

Like many subjects on here there are always complexities and no black and white reasons.
Since I started working in Soho these last 6mths I have noticed just how many beggars there are on the streets around Tottenham Court Road. Also the number of homeless setting up camp on a semi permanent basis either in the middle of the street or in a doorway. These people certainly don't look like they are there as an alternative to a 9-5

I do remember though MANY years ago when I was working in Hammersmith there was an older lady who was begging every day for a couple of years in the underpass.
One night a mate asked her if she was going to stay there much longer today, she said, "no I will give it another couple of hours as my gas bill is due this week"

There will be a 100 different reasons why people will either be begging or sleeping rough, not sure there is one finger to point at as the primary cause.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Beggars on 15:56 - Apr 26 with 6278 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

For the record I never said there aren’t professional beggars.
Beggars on 16:05 - Apr 26 with 6244 viewsBuckR

Beggars on 15:56 - Apr 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

For the record I never said there aren’t professional beggars.

Bit like I didn't say that there wasn't any real homeless people eh
Beggars on 16:08 - Apr 26 with 6233 viewsLblock

I predict this to be a 4 or 5 pager...... sure racism will be crow barred in somewhere along the line.

Homelessness has been bandied around - surely that's different to begging? The two do not go hand in hand or be a consequence of each other in my book.

Makes me cringe the holier than tho attitude some take to these subjects - if you suggest that beggars are an issue that effect your day to day life, your safety worries and are symptomatic of crime in your area then you are, of course, in the eyes of some here, a right wing uncaring racist fascist who is anti-society and selfish.
It's a big red hand to your concerns, worries or quite right observation that drugs, Romanian crime gangs, traffickers and petty criminals are responsible for 90% of the street begging issue.
I only have sympathy with one type of street beggar and that's any that are ex-forces. Those lads and lasses are treated appallingly once they leave the service and have virtually zero civvie cross over support network.
As for the rest......... no comment.

Now if you're homeless you may fit into any number of different circumstances and I'd say the majority of those classified as homeless don't revert to street begging. To generalise those would be the most broadest of brushes and totally wrong.

As for giving to a street beggar and not caring that they will then use that money to call a dealer into that area and serve them up is unbelievable. Crass stupidity to not appreciate where those ripples in that pond lead to and the detrimental effect to ALL involved.

And having broken my vow not to comment on political, social or economical threads I will leave it at that and turn the music up.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Beggars on 16:13 - Apr 26 with 6204 viewspaulparker

It’s gonna be a long, long pre season on here

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024