Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR FC from the White City 11:59 - Apr 27 with 7599 viewsHadders

Is anyone else fascinated by the history of White City? It's such an evocative name but seems so sad that the original exhibtion was destroyed, along with the grand old stadium which hosted two Olympics as well as the Rs. It must've been strange and melancholy for our supporters rattling around in there though.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/M8f1gV_ymtPERLQ3bjV4M2_yFCQDtWynXuM92kqV

Plus, shouldn't this be our song? Beautiful lyrics too:
Oh the torn up ticket stubs
From a hundred thousand mugs
Now washed away with dead dreams in the rain
And the car-parks going up
And they're pulling down the pubs
And it's just another bloody rainy day

[Post edited 27 Apr 2019 12:22]
QPR FC from the White City on 12:57 - Apr 27 with 7493 views100percent

There's a decent bit on it in Robert Elm's new book - London Made Us - really interesting history how something so huge - the grounds went all the way back to the green - can disappear without trace so easily....
QPR FC from the White City on 13:17 - Apr 27 with 7458 viewsTacticalR

White City opened in 1908 with the Franco-British exhibition and the Olympics

At the same time another historic event was taking place...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1907—08_Southern_Football_League

Air hostess clique

QPR FC from the White City on 13:34 - Apr 27 with 7410 viewsHadders

Love all this stuff, thanks for posting. Didn't know it was quite that big either - makes it even more interesting and sad there seem to be no remains. Wonder what was in the "Women's Work" section? I'd love to read our Robert's book. I know some people have no interest in the past, but I can wallow in this stuff for hours. It's not long past really, yet may as well be 1000 years ago.

Oddly, whilst thinking about this history, a female pal of mine from Liverpool has just messaged me to say she just found out that her grandpa played for QPR! Dying to find out more - no name yet.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2019 19:15]
QPR FC from the White City on 14:02 - Apr 27 with 7357 viewsBoston

There’s a White City Estate MB which is mainly used by past residents. Many recollections of pre war W12.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

QPR FC from the White City on 14:17 - Apr 27 with 7335 viewsTacticalR

This map of the Japan-British exhibition of 1910 from the British Library website shows Loftus Road and Ellerslie Road

Air hostess clique

QPR FC from the White City on 14:33 - Apr 27 with 7302 viewsTHEBUSH

I've watched our team play there, and even ran the mile on the running track, when I was at Christopher Wren School.

I also saw Uruguay v France play there in the 1966 World Cup Finals.

Massive old stadium, probably get two Loftus Roads inside.
QPR FC from the White City on 16:00 - Apr 27 with 7233 viewsjonno

One of the interesting aspects of the old White City Stadium is that the official marathon distance of 26 miles 385 yards was established due to that being the distance of the race in the 1908 Olympics from Windsor Castle to the White City Stadium.
QPR FC from the White City on 18:02 - Apr 27 with 7105 viewssmegma

QPR FC from the White City on 14:17 - Apr 27 by TacticalR

This map of the Japan-British exhibition of 1910 from the British Library website shows Loftus Road and Ellerslie Road

If you go in Hammersmith Park , entrance is next to plastic pitches on SAR, the only remnant of the AngloJapanese Exhibition you mention is at the Frithville Gardens end of the park. There's a really interesting notice board telling you about the AJ exhibition and the remaining Japanese Garden.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2019 20:02]
Login to get fewer ads

QPR FC from the White City on 21:33 - Apr 29 with 6693 viewsElHoop

QPR FC from the White City on 18:02 - Apr 27 by smegma

If you go in Hammersmith Park , entrance is next to plastic pitches on SAR, the only remnant of the AngloJapanese Exhibition you mention is at the Frithville Gardens end of the park. There's a really interesting notice board telling you about the AJ exhibition and the remaining Japanese Garden.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2019 20:02]

Seemingly there's a bit more left from the exhibition in Kew Gardens - they moved a gateway there in 1911:

https://www.kew.org/kew-gardens/whats-in-the-gardens/japanese-landscape

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMTTQD_Chokushi_Mon_Kew_Gardens_London_UK

https://sequinsandcherryblossom.com/2014/01/05/1910-japan-british-exhibition/
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 7:15]
QPR FC from the White City on 21:43 - Apr 29 with 6675 viewscolinallcars

QPR FC from the White City on 14:02 - Apr 27 by Boston

There’s a White City Estate MB which is mainly used by past residents. Many recollections of pre war W12.

Presumably this is the White City Estate Blog. It used to be full of interesting stuff but on January 1st this year, they started afresh so you can't see all the interesting old stuff. Not many people post on there now sadly.
QPR FC from the White City on 22:15 - Apr 29 with 6581 viewsHarbour

Huge stadium saw the speedway there in the 1970s what a shame we never bought the site and moved in ...opportunity missed?
QPR FC from the White City on 22:23 - Apr 29 with 6558 viewscolinallcars

I loved the old White City Stadium. The short period we played there was awful though. Too far away from the pitch, and our tiny crowd looked lost in the vast expanse of the stadium. Fortunately we didn't get rid of Loftus Rd and were able to move back sharpish.
QPR FC from the White City on 08:19 - Apr 30 with 6349 viewsMetallica_Hoop

There was some of the old 1908 tiling outside Studio 1 in TVC I'm presuming it's still there as they preserved S1.

Funnily enough a question on 'Brain of Britain' yesterday (which you'll hear when the semi's are aired) "When was the last time Britain topped the medal tables at a summer Olypics?" Answer 1908.

A very historic site as mentioned.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

QPR FC from the White City on 10:15 - Apr 30 with 6235 viewsjonno

QPR FC from the White City on 08:19 - Apr 30 by Metallica_Hoop

There was some of the old 1908 tiling outside Studio 1 in TVC I'm presuming it's still there as they preserved S1.

Funnily enough a question on 'Brain of Britain' yesterday (which you'll hear when the semi's are aired) "When was the last time Britain topped the medal tables at a summer Olypics?" Answer 1908.

I think that was because we brought in a number of sports to that Olympics that only the British actually played!
QPR FC from the White City on 10:46 - Apr 30 with 6203 viewssmegma

QPR FC from the White City on 08:19 - Apr 30 by Metallica_Hoop

If anyone's ever in Stockholm, go and visit the Olympic Stadium from 1908. It is absolutely beautiful. Its like a museum piece and was still used for football regularly up until about 2014.
QPR FC from the White City on 10:59 - Apr 30 with 6192 viewsTacticalR

If you look at the bottom right of the Japan-British exhibition map you can see that there was a series of sheds/walkways which went all the way from an entrance near Shepherd's Bush station on Uxbridge Road (near Shepherd's Bush roundabout) to White City

This is the original entrance in 1908:

Uxbridge Road Entrance Arch to the Franco British Exhibition
https://lbhflibraries.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/the-franco-british-exhibition/

The entrance got changed to this (photographed in 1971):

On the border 3: Selwyn in Shepherd’s Bush, 1971
https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/2016/09/15/on-the-border-3-selwyn-in-shep

The entrance prior to demolition for Westfield

Air hostess clique

QPR FC from the White City on 14:56 - Apr 30 with 6068 viewsAddinall

QPR FC from the White City on 22:23 - Apr 29 by colinallcars

I loved the old White City Stadium. The short period we played there was awful though. Too far away from the pitch, and our tiny crowd looked lost in the vast expanse of the stadium. Fortunately we didn't get rid of Loftus Rd and were able to move back sharpish.

But I remember being able to get a pint and a plate of whelks at half time without queuing!
QPR FC from the White City on 15:14 - Apr 30 with 6050 viewsDannyPaddox

QPR FC from the White City on 10:15 - Apr 30 by jonno

I think that was because we brought in a number of sports to that Olympics that only the British actually played!

This was the first that came to mnd.

I'm sure I read Shepherds Bush Green itself was used for some of the events in 1908. Not sure whether it was dressage or a throwing event - the javelin, tossing the butler maybe. Actually I think there's a little placard in the Wetherspoons that gives the details.

Only one way to find out. Afternoon drinking it is then.
QPR FC from the White City on 18:35 - Apr 30 with 5939 viewsBoston

QPR FC from the White City on 15:14 - Apr 30 by DannyPaddox

This was the first that came to mnd.

I'm sure I read Shepherds Bush Green itself was used for some of the events in 1908. Not sure whether it was dressage or a throwing event - the javelin, tossing the butler maybe. Actually I think there's a little placard in the Wetherspoons that gives the details.

Only one way to find out. Afternoon drinking it is then.

That was the venue for the Olympic One Man & His Dog trial event(Shepherds Bush y’see).

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

QPR FC from the White City on 18:27 - May 1 with 5712 viewsPinnerPaul

My Dad ran at White City a long long time ago!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024