Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Over 50’s NI contributions 07:01 - Apr 29 with 7096 viewsloftboy

Damien Green has proposed that the over 50’s pay an extra £350 a year to pay for social care, seeing as everyone is expected to live longer shouldn’t this be spread across the entire work force?
My other bone of contention is that the majority of people over 50 left school at 16 and went straight into work and have probably paid an extra 5 years worth compared with kids that today stay in education for what seems like forever..
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 7:07]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:18 - Apr 29 with 3476 viewsozexile

He may have proposed it. Won't happen.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:21 - Apr 29 with 3471 viewscolinallcars

It would be unfair. Older people have experienced recessions with high unemployment, sky high mortgage interest and negative equity
Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:31 - Apr 29 with 3438 viewsRs_Holy

I think we're all going to have to cough up more and more money as time goes on... I suppose the argument is that at some point the youngsters of today will eventually get to 50 and they will have to pay this money at that point.
I saw the other day a proposal for scrapping over 75's free TV licence, also scrapping bus passes for pensioners and other benefits as some pensioners are better off than young people in work... (Note 'some' pensioners).
I think we're reaching a point where we will have a 'if you can afford it you will have to pay for it approach for everything'.
My Dad passed away last year at the age of 93. He left school at 14 with his brother to support the rest of the family. He worked full time until the age of 65 and made many sacrifices to afford a mortgage and supporting our family with essentials. Basically he worked really hard for all his life but still had to pay for the 24 hour care he needed for the last year of his life himself (He had some money in a savings account)...Some would say thats not fair, some would say how else would you do it?
Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:45 - Apr 29 with 3386 viewscyprusmel

Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:31 - Apr 29 by Rs_Holy

I think we're all going to have to cough up more and more money as time goes on... I suppose the argument is that at some point the youngsters of today will eventually get to 50 and they will have to pay this money at that point.
I saw the other day a proposal for scrapping over 75's free TV licence, also scrapping bus passes for pensioners and other benefits as some pensioners are better off than young people in work... (Note 'some' pensioners).
I think we're reaching a point where we will have a 'if you can afford it you will have to pay for it approach for everything'.
My Dad passed away last year at the age of 93. He left school at 14 with his brother to support the rest of the family. He worked full time until the age of 65 and made many sacrifices to afford a mortgage and supporting our family with essentials. Basically he worked really hard for all his life but still had to pay for the 24 hour care he needed for the last year of his life himself (He had some money in a savings account)...Some would say thats not fair, some would say how else would you do it?

I would say it's not fair, how can it be that someone who has grafted all their lives have to pay when someone who has pissed it up the wall, and never worked gets to be in the same care home for free.
Stop or restrict all the money spent on foreign aid then maybe we could sort out some of the problems in the U.K. as well as giving pensioners a decent retirement payment which is comparable to other EU countries.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:50 - Apr 29 with 3369 viewscolinallcars

Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:45 - Apr 29 by cyprusmel

I would say it's not fair, how can it be that someone who has grafted all their lives have to pay when someone who has pissed it up the wall, and never worked gets to be in the same care home for free.
Stop or restrict all the money spent on foreign aid then maybe we could sort out some of the problems in the U.K. as well as giving pensioners a decent retirement payment which is comparable to other EU countries.

Indeed. I believe our state pension is one of the lowest in Europe. Some people have had final salary pensions from their jobs but these are less common now. And of course savings rates are pitifully low mainly because banks are offering such low mortgage rates.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:58 - Apr 29 with 3348 viewsstowmarketrange

I agree with the op.I started paying NI at 18,and you only need to pay 41 years worth to get the full benefits.Does that mean I can stop paying on my 59th birthday in September?Does it hell.They should get an extra 7 year’s payments from me for nothing extra.
Either use it for social care,give me added pension or stop taking payments from me.
None of those 3 will happen though.
And what about all those poor sods that die before they get to pension age?There must be billions swishing about going spare.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 09:09 - Apr 29 with 3310 viewsRs_Holy

agree!
Over 50’s NI contributions on 10:34 - Apr 29 with 3174 viewsToast_R

Over 50’s NI contributions on 09:09 - Apr 29 by Rs_Holy

agree!

All that foreign Aid we'd apparently be saving has been metaphorically spent on so many different things now.
Login to get fewer ads

Over 50’s NI contributions on 11:13 - Apr 29 with 3130 viewsBostonR

Start means testing child benefit that would be s start.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 11:18 - Apr 29 with 3119 viewsrobith

I disagree with the proposal outlined, but you actually think UK aid , 0.7% of the total budget, is the solution to everything?
Over 50’s NI contributions on 11:20 - Apr 29 with 3112 viewsHarbour

Theresa May tried something similar at the last election had it in the Tory manefesto but had to drop it because of the outcry. Seems to me the is trying to pitch young against old or have’s v have nots it’s a divide and rule strategy to deflect from their complete mismanagement of the economy.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 11:58 - Apr 29 with 3053 viewsjonno

Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:50 - Apr 29 by colinallcars

Indeed. I believe our state pension is one of the lowest in Europe. Some people have had final salary pensions from their jobs but these are less common now. And of course savings rates are pitifully low mainly because banks are offering such low mortgage rates.

The UK state pension is actually the lowest in the developed world, including countries such as Mexico. Have a think about that for a minute.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 12:05 - Apr 29 with 3035 viewsLythamR

Over 50’s NI contributions on 11:58 - Apr 29 by jonno

The UK state pension is actually the lowest in the developed world, including countries such as Mexico. Have a think about that for a minute.

Mexico and most other countries dont have a nice shiny nuclear submarine fleet and £5bn aircraft carriers though.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 12:42 - Apr 29 with 2986 viewsted_hendrix

You'll get no more cash out of me you bastards, I've gone through a mortgage rate of 14.9%, three day weeks, redundancy's and I've paid my dues since starting work at the age of 16, raised our kids and paid our way since day one, packed my bags and worked from Wales to the Scottish midlands when work was scarce and unemployment was approaching 3 fcking million people.
I retired last September with a state pension and a final salary pension, all me and the missus have got we've fcking worked for, like I say I/we've paid our dues and you can fck right off If you think I'm gonna start paying any more.

I'll give you a new bloody royal yacht, new royal train, new err well whatever,,,,,,,,,,,

Get the fck out of here.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Over 50’s NI contributions on 12:56 - Apr 29 with 2934 viewsrunningman75

Many of the over 50s I know are earning average or just above average salaries. Of course normal people will get hit. How much money leaves the country through tax avoidance with many people earning a heck of a lot more money but paying minimal taxes. Also how many rich foreigners in Kensington etc pay their fair share of tax?
Over 50’s NI contributions on 12:59 - Apr 29 with 2920 viewsSnipper

Over 50’s NI contributions on 12:42 - Apr 29 by ted_hendrix

You'll get no more cash out of me you bastards, I've gone through a mortgage rate of 14.9%, three day weeks, redundancy's and I've paid my dues since starting work at the age of 16, raised our kids and paid our way since day one, packed my bags and worked from Wales to the Scottish midlands when work was scarce and unemployment was approaching 3 fcking million people.
I retired last September with a state pension and a final salary pension, all me and the missus have got we've fcking worked for, like I say I/we've paid our dues and you can fck right off If you think I'm gonna start paying any more.

I'll give you a new bloody royal yacht, new royal train, new err well whatever,,,,,,,,,,,

Get the fck out of here.

Well said Ted. Various governments have been taking the pìss for years.

They could start by taxing the big corporations the proper amount instead of the chicken feed they currently get.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 13:11 - Apr 29 with 2880 viewscyprusmel

Over 50’s NI contributions on 11:18 - Apr 29 by robith

I disagree with the proposal outlined, but you actually think UK aid , 0.7% of the total budget, is the solution to everything?

It certainly isn't the answer to everything Robith but we might just be able to find a use for some of the 13.4 Billion pounds (2016).
Over 50’s NI contributions on 14:04 - Apr 29 with 2799 viewsJuzzie

I'm 51 and started work at 16 (well, a week before my 17th birthday if I'm honest) and I'll be fked if they think I should pay more because I might live longer. As others have said, I've done 6-7 years more work than people who go to Uni and come out at 23 with no job and £30k debt.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 18:07 - Apr 29 with 2622 viewsstevec

All the comments so far on this thread hold valid points. However, CyprusMel and R'sHoly both particularly resonate.

I haven't seen the actual proposals but if these extra NI payments enable a Government to stop this practice of essentially applying a 100% tax on your assets when you become old and ill it would be a good thing.

At £1000+ a week to live in a Care Home, my mums savings have been decimated and they are now digging into her only remaining asset, her house.

Too late for my Mum but every single one of you out there should get together with your parents (or your own kids) and as tough a thing to do as it is, map out what they or your assets are and if they are above £23,500 do whatever you can to avoid the state cleaning you or your parents out. This means everyone who owns their own property and quite a few with their own liquid assets.

It's no shame to want to keep what you've already paid quite enough tax on, for your own sakes and your kids sakes, take this matter seriously.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:23 - Apr 29 with 2500 viewsRangersw12

Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:21 - Apr 29 by colinallcars

It would be unfair. Older people have experienced recessions with high unemployment, sky high mortgage interest and negative equity

Whilst enjoying tge best pensions , free education and house prices very low

Don't try and make out older people had it tough FFS
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 19:24]
Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:34 - Apr 29 with 2472 viewsloftboy

Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:23 - Apr 29 by Rangersw12

Whilst enjoying tge best pensions , free education and house prices very low

Don't try and make out older people had it tough FFS
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 19:24]

Yeah it was a doddle for my mum and dad losing half their childhood during the war.

Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:38 - Apr 29 with 2468 viewsRangersw12

Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:34 - Apr 29 by loftboy

Yeah it was a doddle for my mum and dad losing half their childhood during the war.

I'm on about your generation not your parents
Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:48 - Apr 29 with 2448 viewsSnipper

Over 50’s NI contributions on 18:07 - Apr 29 by stevec

All the comments so far on this thread hold valid points. However, CyprusMel and R'sHoly both particularly resonate.

I haven't seen the actual proposals but if these extra NI payments enable a Government to stop this practice of essentially applying a 100% tax on your assets when you become old and ill it would be a good thing.

At £1000+ a week to live in a Care Home, my mums savings have been decimated and they are now digging into her only remaining asset, her house.

Too late for my Mum but every single one of you out there should get together with your parents (or your own kids) and as tough a thing to do as it is, map out what they or your assets are and if they are above £23,500 do whatever you can to avoid the state cleaning you or your parents out. This means everyone who owns their own property and quite a few with their own liquid assets.

It's no shame to want to keep what you've already paid quite enough tax on, for your own sakes and your kids sakes, take this matter seriously.

I was told that if you sign over half your house to a trusted relative, the government can’t touch your house to pay for care, as they can’t sell half a house.

Is that right? If it is, that sounds the way to go.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 20:25 - Apr 29 with 2379 viewsloftboy

Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:38 - Apr 29 by Rangersw12

I'm on about your generation not your parents

Well my dads pension went bust shortly after he retired thanks to Gordon Brown, he’s now on a fraction of what he should be on.

Over 50’s NI contributions on 20:41 - Apr 29 with 2349 viewsPBLOCK

As others have said there are many valid points and some people will be appalled that this is being suggested - don’t think Ted was too pleased.

Personally I think there is a huge sh!tstorm coming down the road on a number of issues

The Tory’s Labour and all the others use many pressing need to us as a political football without anything being done. The NHS always needs more money but it’s not that simple. A way of saving vital NHS time and resources is to fund Social care effectively taking the strain off other services. Giving Carer’s who do a fantastic job by enlarge a half decent salary with bens not minimum wage.

When they stopped child benefit for houses that have one person earning over 50k yet a couple pulling in £99,999 between them equally qualify??

Foreign aid to India for example is a bit of a joke but this is a small piece of the jigsaw.

Inheritance tax - oh so you’re tax me twice and absolutely shady me in the process!

Lack of social housing poor pensions QPR being horrible !

Massive change is needed across the way we currently do things. But no party will make the call as it will prove unpopular.

I love the NHS for example and whilst money can be saved there it also needs reformation so that it can continue. It’s model was built on lower life expectancy, less medicines etc. If all the parties got round the table and said that an extra 1p on income tax is coming in to fund NHS / Social care and would be ring fenced for this cause I’d be ok with that.

An arbitrary let’s tax anyone over 50? Like a Paul Hart half time team talk

Ducking clueless
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024