Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Us connecting flights 06:48 - May 2 with 3702 viewsGloucs_R

Anyone had experience of connecting US flights? How long do you need to pass immigration, pick up luggage and then check back in again?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Us connecting flights on 07:28 - May 2 with 2800 viewshorshamHoop

I work in travel - sadly. The answer to your question is that if you have a through ticket, one that is booked with the same airline such as American airlines say to Washington and onward to your final destination, then it is what they call a guaranteed connection and the airlines responsibility to sort you out if the connection is missed.
If however you have booked tickets separately then there is no guaranteed connection, so if American is late to Washington resulting in a missed connection, the onward airline will 9 times out of ten tell you get stuffed, this is even more relevant on the return as if you miss your long haul return, then purchasing a new ticket at short notice will be expensive. I am aware of many missed connection scenarios particularly with our low cost fiends from Gatwick who do not have an arrangement in the US for connecting flights with another airline.
So on separate tickets I would allow a minimum of 3 hours.
Us connecting flights on 07:47 - May 2 with 2776 viewsGloucs_R

Us connecting flights on 07:28 - May 2 by horshamHoop

I work in travel - sadly. The answer to your question is that if you have a through ticket, one that is booked with the same airline such as American airlines say to Washington and onward to your final destination, then it is what they call a guaranteed connection and the airlines responsibility to sort you out if the connection is missed.
If however you have booked tickets separately then there is no guaranteed connection, so if American is late to Washington resulting in a missed connection, the onward airline will 9 times out of ten tell you get stuffed, this is even more relevant on the return as if you miss your long haul return, then purchasing a new ticket at short notice will be expensive. I am aware of many missed connection scenarios particularly with our low cost fiends from Gatwick who do not have an arrangement in the US for connecting flights with another airline.
So on separate tickets I would allow a minimum of 3 hours.

Thanks. Is it really a case of landing, passing immigration and then checking in again? I've seen connection times of 1h 30m and I don't think you'd ever be able to do that.

Us connecting flights on 08:19 - May 2 with 2744 viewsthame_hoops

Us connecting flights on 07:47 - May 2 by Gloucs_R

Thanks. Is it really a case of landing, passing immigration and then checking in again? I've seen connection times of 1h 30m and I don't think you'd ever be able to do that.

I always fly direct but Just flew from Boston to London via philly. Layover time in philly was 43 mins so was worried we wouldn’t make it. Reasoned that if we didn’t there were other flights that night we would be put on so wasn’t worried. Landed, came straight off plane in philly and had a 5min walk to the gate for the London flight, bag was checked all the way through an didn’t have to go through immigration At all, was like. taking a bus. Even had time for a cheeky beer.
Us connecting flights on 08:52 - May 2 with 2696 viewsTW_R

1h 30 mins is doable, depending on the airport you're connecting at. With the use of ESTA now, immigration is so much easier and the queues are a lot shorter, quite often non-existent. Also, you don't need to check back in if you are connecting with the same airline, although you may have to pick up your luggage and drop it at another point near baggage reclaim to get it onto the internal flight.

I recently flew Delta to Houston, via Atlanta. It literally took me 30 minutes from when the plane door opened to when I arrived at the gate for the internal flight.
Us connecting flights on 08:52 - May 2 with 2696 viewshorshamHoop

That is correct as you have to do immigration at your first port of call and that can take a while and you have to collect your bags and recheck in again.
In my view 43 minutes is far too short, I know of someone recently who took 45 minutes to get through immigration in LA because of the queues (some airports like Newark and Detroit have a much faster immigration system), and as I said previously, most airlines will only put you on another service if you are on a "through ticket" otherwise they will make you buy another one.
So personally, if on separate tickets, I would try to allow more than 90 minutes.
Us connecting flights on 09:02 - May 2 with 2686 viewsjohann28

Do this a lot. In my experience, it all depends which airport you fly into. Best experience (assuming take off / landing on time) = Minneapolis (small airport, nice people) - under an hour; worst experience Houston (seriously evil security people) - over 3 1/2 hours. Obviously if you're late starting for whatever reason you're then royally fkd with a connecting flight; it's true as stated above if it's a through ticket they have a duty to sort it out but you've still got all the hassle.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 9:49]
Us connecting flights on 09:29 - May 2 with 2661 viewsthame_hoops

Us connecting flights on 08:52 - May 2 by horshamHoop

That is correct as you have to do immigration at your first port of call and that can take a while and you have to collect your bags and recheck in again.
In my view 43 minutes is far too short, I know of someone recently who took 45 minutes to get through immigration in LA because of the queues (some airports like Newark and Detroit have a much faster immigration system), and as I said previously, most airlines will only put you on another service if you are on a "through ticket" otherwise they will make you buy another one.
So personally, if on separate tickets, I would try to allow more than 90 minutes.

Ohh I was coming BACK. So no immigration, different story flying out from London I guess.
Us connecting flights on 09:57 - May 2 with 2618 viewsBklynRanger

If it's the same airline 90 mins should fine as above - off the plane, follow 'connecting flights' (I think! - assuming you have the other boarding pass), through immigration, pick up bag, put bag down again (usually nearby). That would even allow for a bit of delay.

If it's two completely separate airlines (not one 'operated by' so-and-so on the second leg) I'd treat the connection like you were turning up to the airport for a separate flight.
Login to get fewer ads

Us connecting flights on 10:10 - May 2 with 2613 viewsted_hendrix

While ago now but I had a connecting flight to Memphis via Chicago (Chicago airport is bloody huge) after eventually finding the connecting gate the bloody plane to Memphis broke down, got to Memphis in the end but what a bloody performance.
Always found it easier and for peace of mind to stop off in NYC for a couple of days and then fly on from there, of course this doesn't always suit.
FWIW;
Houston airport; as stated above the immigration and checking back in was downright hard work.
Phoenix Sky Harbor Arizona; 11 hours flying to be met by bloody Mexican immigration officers who's sole aim in life is to do everything slowly.
New Orleans and Memphis airport pretty good and reasonably quick (in and out).
JFK and LaGuardia Airport (slow/hard work)

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Us connecting flights on 10:22 - May 2 with 2596 viewsRangersDave

Ive waited 90 minutes in immigration, and i've been lucky and waited only 20 mins.

In fact one of the biggest delays was at Philly when, coming in from the UK, i waited 20 mins to get to the front of the queue, got to a gruff old security guard who did the usual things and asked the usual questions...... asked me what i did, and i told him.

He then started a 35 minute conversation with me on his and mine joint interest, talking shop, laughing etc. I couldnt say can you hurry it up, so we chatted.
In the end he rolled his chair back, stood up, passed me my passport back and extended and shook my hand with a smile and 'welcome to the USA'
i presume he was the boss of his immigration as he had stripes etc

Ironically on the way back my inbound flight from Cleveland was delayed by an hour due to storms..... as i landed in Phily and the taxy in to the stand, i past my flight to Manchester taxiing out and leaving.

Got off my plane, walked to the flight desk, wasnt irate or pannicked, spoke calmly and clearly with my best non leslie philips accent.

was given a BA flight to Heathrow and on to Manchester, leaving in 10 minutes from the otherside of the airport. They even layed on a battery people carrier and driver to get me there.

Luck of the draw i guess as ive spend 8 hours on a concrete balcony at /dulles due to missing my flight by 2 hours due to a late inbound. no drinks, food, or even a hotel room.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Us connecting flights on 10:32 - May 2 with 2586 viewsozranger

Us connecting flights on 08:52 - May 2 by horshamHoop

Horsham is correct in that airports have different times to take to get through. When entering the US from Asia/Australia, I always go through San Fran as it has shorter immigration queues than LA (although my sister had to wait some two hours yesterday at SFO). Domestically, there are airports that are quick to get through (from gate to gate or security to gate) and those that take longer. JFK in NY can take long as the terminals are huge (sort of like Frankfurt) and so getting from one gate to another can be up to 30mins. I found, and was told by others, that one of the worst airports for getting through domestic security is Logan at Boston. I did quite a few trips in the US just recently and fully agree. Even Toronto, coming back to the US where one has to go through US immigration prior to boarding and not when they arrive in the US, was quicker. Chicago is also quick to get through immigration.

Now, regards the ticket, it is important to know that your ticket can be exchanged or refunded, otherwise you will have to face the fun task of presenting a case to the travel insurer after you buy a brand new ticket. This was my case on the way back when O'Hare and the rest of Chicago was snowed out. It meant my initial flight from Kansas City to Chicago was cancelled meaning I missed my connection back to London and as it was on UA and from Chicago to London was on BA and the ticket was non-exchangeable/non-refundable, I lost the ticket completely. I had to buy a whole new ticket from Chicago for the following day and a night's accom in KC. At least UA booked me on a flight the following day for free. In the end, I chose Aer Lingus via Dublin and was quite happy with them. Not too sure how long they will be connected with BA though.

However, to answer your question, I try to leave at least 90mins for transfer from international to domestic and preferably more. It is also best to leave a decent amount of time the way back as the domestic flights tend to be delayed in some way or another meaning your transfer time is shortened more than you may expect.
Us connecting flights on 10:32 - May 2 with 2586 viewsaston_hoop

I made a connection at Newark in about 1.5 hours before, that was no hassle. Immigration were even quite friendly. Seems to be a common theme but Houston on the other hand took an eternity.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Us connecting flights on 11:33 - May 2 with 2536 viewsthame_hoops

Like others have said, immigration lines are hit and miss, so many variables, I’ve been 5 mins - 2hrs, annoyingly now the blue customs forms aren’t issued paper, you line upto machines with touchscreens BEFORE immigration so yet another line!
Us connecting flights on 11:40 - May 2 with 2528 viewsIsleworthranger

I booked a flight the other day from Cancun to Heathrow via Dallas without even thinking about the USA transit and only have 2 hours twenty minutes connection time though I am encouraged by the comments about using the same airline

The flight from Cancun to Dallas is with Quantas but operated by American Airlines and then its BA to London who are all part of the One World Alliance and tickets were purchased together so hopefully will fine
Us connecting flights on 12:19 - May 2 with 2498 viewsloftboy

Us connecting flights on 08:52 - May 2 by TW_R

1h 30 mins is doable, depending on the airport you're connecting at. With the use of ESTA now, immigration is so much easier and the queues are a lot shorter, quite often non-existent. Also, you don't need to check back in if you are connecting with the same airline, although you may have to pick up your luggage and drop it at another point near baggage reclaim to get it onto the internal flight.

I recently flew Delta to Houston, via Atlanta. It literally took me 30 minutes from when the plane door opened to when I arrived at the gate for the internal flight.

When I flew into Newark having paid for and receiving my ESTA I went through immigration and promptly got detained for two hours in secondary immigration, sat in a Dr style waiting room before my name was called out and told I was free to go, no interview or reason as to why I was detained and my mate who was travelling with me was left waiting in baggage reclaim with no explanation as well.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Us connecting flights on 12:58 - May 2 with 2453 viewsBklynRanger

Us connecting flights on 10:32 - May 2 by ozranger

Horsham is correct in that airports have different times to take to get through. When entering the US from Asia/Australia, I always go through San Fran as it has shorter immigration queues than LA (although my sister had to wait some two hours yesterday at SFO). Domestically, there are airports that are quick to get through (from gate to gate or security to gate) and those that take longer. JFK in NY can take long as the terminals are huge (sort of like Frankfurt) and so getting from one gate to another can be up to 30mins. I found, and was told by others, that one of the worst airports for getting through domestic security is Logan at Boston. I did quite a few trips in the US just recently and fully agree. Even Toronto, coming back to the US where one has to go through US immigration prior to boarding and not when they arrive in the US, was quicker. Chicago is also quick to get through immigration.

Now, regards the ticket, it is important to know that your ticket can be exchanged or refunded, otherwise you will have to face the fun task of presenting a case to the travel insurer after you buy a brand new ticket. This was my case on the way back when O'Hare and the rest of Chicago was snowed out. It meant my initial flight from Kansas City to Chicago was cancelled meaning I missed my connection back to London and as it was on UA and from Chicago to London was on BA and the ticket was non-exchangeable/non-refundable, I lost the ticket completely. I had to buy a whole new ticket from Chicago for the following day and a night's accom in KC. At least UA booked me on a flight the following day for free. In the end, I chose Aer Lingus via Dublin and was quite happy with them. Not too sure how long they will be connected with BA though.

However, to answer your question, I try to leave at least 90mins for transfer from international to domestic and preferably more. It is also best to leave a decent amount of time the way back as the domestic flights tend to be delayed in some way or another meaning your transfer time is shortened more than you may expect.

Possibly not the kind of thing to bring up on a travel thread, but I'd guess the time through security at Boston would be a holdover from the breaches that happened on 9/11. Could be wrong.
Us connecting flights on 14:47 - May 2 with 2357 viewsMatch82

Personal rule, I allow at least 2 hours.
Thats chicago based, I'd allow a little longer for Houston which in my experience has always been awful for immigration.
Us connecting flights on 15:03 - May 2 with 2342 viewsGloucs_R

Thanks all. Think I'll fly direct if possible. Its not my money, its on business so not worth the hassle for an extra £200

Us connecting flights on 16:32 - May 2 with 2287 viewsBklynRanger

Us connecting flights on 15:03 - May 2 by Gloucs_R

Thanks all. Think I'll fly direct if possible. Its not my money, its on business so not worth the hassle for an extra £200

Now he tells us!...
[Post edited 2 May 2019 16:33]
Us connecting flights on 16:34 - May 2 with 2281 viewsmarky67

many years ago i flew to vegas on american airlines via minneapolis, unfortunatly my flight was 5 hours late leaving heathrow thanks to a fault with the plane. on arrival in minneapolis had to go through immigration with my luggage and because i had missed my connecting flight they transfered me onto a southwest airlines flight free of charge to get me to vegas and not arriving untill midnight.
Us connecting flights on 16:58 - May 2 with 2263 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Us connecting flights on 16:32 - May 2 by BklynRanger

Now he tells us!...

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Us connecting flights on 17:30 - May 2 with 2238 viewsGloucs_R

Us connecting flights on 16:32 - May 2 by BklynRanger

Now he tells us!...

Us connecting flights on 17:50 - May 2 with 2228 viewskomradkirk

same as Loftboy a couple of hour queue at Newark to get through immigration and made connecting flight to Vegas with about 15mins to spare.Vegas veterans advised to go direct and through the immigration uk or ireland side
Us connecting flights on 17:57 - May 2 with 2220 viewsBoston

The chance of a delay with immigration at Logan is high. Before any terrorist considerations you have to factor in its size(small) and that it has the most passengers per square foot (can explain non metric to the whippersnappers upon request) in the Western Hemisphere. I don’t know how many times I’ve been through, at least a hundred anyway, usually no problem but have spent 90mins shuffling along.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Us connecting flights on 18:30 - May 2 with 2197 viewshubble

Had a 1 hour 20 minute connection at JFK a few years ago, flying on to ABQ. I thought it was tight and because we had to change airlines we had to re-check in or something, which meant we just made the flight, but our luggage was left behind, which was a pain in the arse.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024