Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game of Thones (with spoilers) 13:50 - May 14 with 11206 viewsFDC

What did people think of the last episode (The Bells)?

I've been quite surprised by the backlash against it.

Like loads of people, I got massively invested in GoT, decided to read the books, then got a bit disillusioned by the show when it moved past the source material. I posted a link on the Half Decent TV thread to a twitter thread about screen-writing styles, and how George RR Martin was basically writing characters, following them around, seeing what the ended up doing, with few actual pre-determined plot points. This makes the characters totally believable, and the shocking things they do all the more shocking. It also explains why he's struggled to finish the books (he once said in an interview something about "I'm having difficulty writing this because Daenerys is stuck in Essos and I need her in Westeros".)

The show writers, like all show writers with a deadline and a contract to fulfill, on the other hand are 'plotters', meaning they know where the story needs to go so they marshal the characters in to position. This is why, since leaving the Song of Ice and Fire book material behind, it feels quite different, and also why characters appear to teleport around Westeros where they would have taken a whole season travelling previously.

The thing is, this has been the case for years now, and it isn't like Daenerys turning into the mad queen hasn't been on the cards for ages anyway, so why all the outrage over the last episode? Any strong opinions?

Edit: And there were some genuinely excellent moment, like this

[Post edited 14 May 2019 14:01]
Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 15:15 - May 21 with 2369 viewsGloucs_R

Does anyone understand why the dragon didn't cook him??

I thought the ending was really disappointing but I must admit that the two previous before the finale were excellent. Overall it's been one of my favourite shows on TV.

For me it's back to the walking dead and Vikings. Has anyone started to watch black sail yet?

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:33 - May 21 with 2327 viewstimcocking

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 15:47 - May 21 with 2325 viewsTheChef

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 15:15 - May 21 by Gloucs_R

I thought the ending was really disappointing but I must admit that the two previous before the finale were excellent. Overall it's been one of my favourite shows on TV.

For me it's back to the walking dead and Vikings. Has anyone started to watch black sail yet?

Something to do with him being a Targaryen and dragons don't cook them. Or something.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 16:05 - May 21 with 2301 viewsLythamR

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 15:47 - May 21 by TheChef

Something to do with him being a Targaryen and dragons don't cook them. Or something.

Yes the dragons recognised he was a targeryan and rightful Heir well before anyone else which is why they let him ride

All in all I think it was a fitting ending, yes it felt a bit rushed but most got their just desserts, Yara in particular can feel a bit hard done by in terms of screen time.
Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 17:18 - May 21 with 2237 viewsrobith

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 16:05 - May 21 by LythamR

Yes the dragons recognised he was a targeryan and rightful Heir well before anyone else which is why they let him ride

All in all I think it was a fitting ending, yes it felt a bit rushed but most got their just desserts, Yara in particular can feel a bit hard done by in terms of screen time.

Or that Sansa asked for independence and got it

Asha Greyjoy: Damn, why didn't I think of that????
Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 17:53 - May 21 with 2202 viewsGloucs_R

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 17:18 - May 21 by robith

Or that Sansa asked for independence and got it

Asha Greyjoy: Damn, why didn't I think of that????

She could ask me for anything and get it 🤩

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 19:39 - May 21 with 2141 viewsridethewave

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 15:15 - May 21 by Gloucs_R

I’ve watched Black Sails, and will tell you it’s one of the best I’ve ever seen, by a long distance. And being only 4 series quite easily watchable. Highly recommend.
Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 19:50 - May 21 with 2132 viewsGloucs_R

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 19:39 - May 21 by ridethewave

I’ve watched Black Sails, and will tell you it’s one of the best I’ve ever seen, by a long distance. And being only 4 series quite easily watchable. Highly recommend.

Yeah, that's the thing with the walking dead now.... Really dragging

Login to get fewer ads

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 21:59 - May 21 with 2038 viewsrobith

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 19:50 - May 21 by Gloucs_R

I iwsh the new show runners had gotten hold of it years ago. IMO they've really mixed up the story telling and characterisation and a real sense of purpose. But hard to think now the show's beyond saving and it's a slow path to cancellation now its viewing is in decline
Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 07:22 - May 22 with 1923 viewsEsox_Lucius

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 14:16 - May 21 by robith

You're the third person to recommend Malazan to me, but after a seven year wait for TWOW, and being burnt by a rubbish conclusion to the First Law Trilogy, I'm taking a serious break from fantasy series

Sorry to hear that Robith, but when you are ready to dip your toes back in the water DO try Malazan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. They are long books which gave plenty of time to develop the characters, and the characters are good and believable within the context of the setting. It's been around 7-8 years since I finished the series but I don't remember any glaring hole plots and the conclusion didn't cause me to regret having spent the best part of a year reading the series.
Footnote: I used to wonder why the serialisation/ film rights were not taken up and would be interested in your thoughts should you ever read it.

The grass is always greener.

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 07:56 - May 22 with 1900 viewsTheChef

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 19:50 - May 21 by Gloucs_R

Well they are dead, to be fair...

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 08:04 - May 22 with 1896 viewsTheChef

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 15:11 - May 21 by traininvain

I loved the Sopranos ending too. All the tension building and uncertainty of what's going to happen then fade to black leaving the viewer to decide if they'd been whacker or if Tony Soprano had been taken out. I've seen dissertation length essays about the ending.

People are still talking about the Sopranos ending 12 years later. I doubt people will be talking about the GOT ending this time next year.

It was the viewer what got whacked innit.

I'm a total Sopranos nut (for me the best TV series ever), and while I enjoyed GoT I don't think it will have the same longevity. With The Sopranos I will quite happily go back and watch an episode of an evening, just because of the consistent high quality of the writing and the acting.

For any Sopranos fan it's worth reading the episode reviews on avclub.com:

https://www.avclub.com/c/tv-review/the-sopranos

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 09:21 - May 22 with 1862 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrr....
They be filmin' the prequel series as'n we speak.
Young George be writin' alternitiv endin'
It all be Wars O' The Roses writ large.

Yo Ho!
Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 09:30 - May 22 with 1856 viewstraininvain

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 08:04 - May 22 by TheChef

It was the viewer what got whacked innit.

I'm a total Sopranos nut (for me the best TV series ever), and while I enjoyed GoT I don't think it will have the same longevity. With The Sopranos I will quite happily go back and watch an episode of an evening, just because of the consistent high quality of the writing and the acting.

For any Sopranos fan it's worth reading the episode reviews on avclub.com:

https://www.avclub.com/c/tv-review/the-sopranos

I'm the same- currently watching it all again for about the 10th time. Still picking up on new things and has me gripped even though i know the outcome.

I bought this book earlier in the year: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sopranos-Sessions-Matt-Zoller-Seitz/dp/1419734946/ref=s

Well worth a read if you're a big Sopranos fan.
Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 09:37 - May 22 with 1851 viewsBluce_Ree

I've enjoyed s8 for the most part but...

ep3 - too dark, too many characters surviving. Fat Sam should have died like 10 times.

ep6 - I was into it all the way up to Dany getting hers but as soon as Tyrion gave YET ANOTHER IMPASSIONED SPEECH to the lords and ladies, I suddenly had this thought of 'OH NO! AN HOUR OF POLITICS IS COMING.'

And then I was super bored. The only time I wasn't bored was when Sam did his pathetic comedy sidekick routine. During that I was actively annoyed.

Overall I was pretty happy with how it all went. I just feel like I never need to see it again. Like I could rewatch all of GoT and happily not bother with that last episode again. I would have got just as much out of it if someone had told me the story the next day in work.

Ep5 was a banger though.

Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah. His crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 10:08 - May 22 with 1830 viewsTheChef

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 09:30 - May 22 by traininvain

I'm the same- currently watching it all again for about the 10th time. Still picking up on new things and has me gripped even though i know the outcome.

I bought this book earlier in the year: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sopranos-Sessions-Matt-Zoller-Seitz/dp/1419734946/ref=s

Well worth a read if you're a big Sopranos fan.

Yeah cheers, I loved the book. Pre-ordered it as soon as I heard it was coming out!

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 12:25 - May 22 with 1760 viewspaulparker

Crap ending infact season 7 & 8 have been poor and rushed,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 12:58 - May 22 with 1739 viewsrsonist

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 15:47 - May 21 by TheChef

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 17:17 - May 22 with 1635 viewsTheChef

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 12:58 - May 22 by rsonist

Jeez once these dragons start talking they don't shut up.

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 11:22 - May 26 with 1396 viewsGaryT

For those not happy with the ending, just erase your memory of it and go with this one. Works for me.
Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 14:11 - May 26 with 1332 viewsNed_Kennedys

Game of Thones (with spoilers) on 11:22 - May 26 by GaryT

For those not happy with the ending, just erase your memory of it and go with this one. Works for me.

Yeah that works.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024