Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Family event or QPR? 09:00 - May 22 with 2746 viewsrunningman75

I am going to a wedding this weekend and though the r's are not involved in the play offs would be annoyed if there was a wedding when there is a big event. I remember in the 1990s when QPR played Newcastle and Sir Les had just jointed Newcastle and missed the match due to a wedding. If it had been 2014 I would have had to risk family members not talking to me to see the r's.
Anyone combined the events or found ways of watching the r's when at a social function?
Family event or QPR? on 10:13 - May 22 with 2664 viewsQPRSteve

I missed us beating Millwall 6-0 in the 1965/66 season because my QPR-supporting older cousin got married. On a Saturday. During the season. Idiot.

Have never really forgiven him.

Refused to go to his sister's wedding when she married a Scum supporter on the day we played the Scum at home. Won 1-0 and first time I think that we had ever beaten them.
Family event or QPR? on 10:28 - May 22 with 2637 viewsLoftusR

Well you could combine to the two. I got married in Stamford in Lincolnshire at the end of August many years ago. As it happened, we were away at Forrest that day, which was only 25 miles away. Many of my guests were obviously hoops fans. Knowing this my mother in law (bless her) wrote to the club and invited the team to attend the wedding reception on the way back from the match!! They did decline, but did send a nice card signed by all the team!!

I also had a few QPR related bits to the wedding, the marquee decoration was blue and white, the table numbers were actually players names / pictures and my favourite thing was that I bought the best man and ushers QPR ties. There were a few Spurs and Chelsea fans amongst them and I made a reference to is in my speech to the fact they all had to support QPR for the day and I have pictures to prove it.
Family event or QPR? on 10:41 - May 22 with 2607 viewsloftboy

The 1989/90 season I made a pledge to go to every game league and cup, got to December and the girl I was living with at the time cane out with the bombshell “ my mum wants to take the whole family to Austria for a week” I checked the fixtures and the day she wanted to go we were away at Sheffield Wednesday, so I dropped her at the airport and made my way to Sheffield!! We weren’t together for much longer after that.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Family event or QPR? on 10:42 - May 22 with 2607 viewsJeff

Neil_SI got married at the start of last season, on the Saturday of QPR vs Sheffield United. big old QPR contingent attended the wedding near Wales.

the match took place in the bit at weddings after the ceremony, but before the evening kicked in when people mill around and chat for a few hours. We were all huddled around my iPad watching it. Eze scores from the edge of the area. We all shout YES!! and go a bit mental as if we were there. EVERYONE ELSE, at this very posh wedding stops, looks at us - the musician stops playing. If there was a dog playing piano in an old western bar he would have stopped and turned around as well. record scratches etc.

Neil was actually with us the moment Eze scored which was serendipitous, and bless him thought it was hilarious, but myself and Clive were in retrospect mortified. We then got drunk and decapitated a cardboard cut out of John Terry.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 10:43]

Can we not knock it?

Family event or QPR? on 10:57 - May 22 with 2580 viewsMick_S

I missed Bobby Zamora Day as my youngest son had just joined a local football team and they thoughtfully made BZD the date of their presentation. I am a muppet.
The only consolation is that my Brentford mate that was with me gave me the world's biggest grudging "well done" at full time and that I watched the match sat next to Gary Waddock's brother although I didn't know he was at the time.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Family event or QPR? on 11:10 - May 22 with 2555 viewsaston_hoop

I missed a game v Cardiff in around 2004, it was the first time we played them since the playoff final and we beat them at home. I hated Cardiff a lot at the time but missed it to go to a then girlfriends mothers wedding. Still strangely annoys me.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Family event or QPR? on 11:12 - May 22 with 2530 viewsstevec

Went to a work mates wedding along Marylebone with the then girlfriend, now wife, when after the church service she became violently ill and had to take her home to Ealing.

Was a spin up to returning to the function on me own now or get down to LR for the second half. Thought I'd made a serious error when I walked into the ground to find us 4-0 down at home to Newcastle.

The rest is history.
Family event or QPR? on 12:05 - May 22 with 2461 viewsdannyblue

I missed the Watford game this year because of my other half's blood grandmother's funeral (she was adopted and had only met her a few times). I felt pretty saintly, but surprisingly didn't get the credit I think I deserved.
Login to get fewer ads

Family event or QPR? on 08:55 - May 23 with 2207 viewsrrrspricey

Anyone who gets married in the football season must expect a few no shows Shirley? My Aunt got remarried on 24th May 2014...needless to say I didn't go
Family event or QPR? on 10:01 - May 23 with 2166 viewsStevenageRanger

Family event or QPR? on 10:57 - May 22 by Mick_S

I missed Bobby Zamora Day as my youngest son had just joined a local football team and they thoughtfully made BZD the date of their presentation. I am a muppet.
The only consolation is that my Brentford mate that was with me gave me the world's biggest grudging "well done" at full time and that I watched the match sat next to Gary Waddock's brother although I didn't know he was at the time.

I now think I am a bad parent!

I would not have missed a play off final for my sons presentation day!!
[Post edited 23 May 2019 10:01]
Family event or QPR? on 10:15 - May 23 with 2149 viewsqueensparker

Family event or QPR? on 10:57 - May 22 by Mick_S

I missed BZD as it was my best mate's 40th and he lives in the states (and couldn't give a flying f--k about football), so I was in Boston, on my own, at 9am, in a deserted sports bar watching it.

Was pretty p-ssed off beforehand with the whole situation but it actually worked out OK, ended up being accompanied by one other random local who turned up halfway through in an old Rangers top, and when the goal went in we both barrelled roaring through a whole quiet room of mystified Yanks having their breakfast, knocking over tables and spraying our fifth pints of the morning around. The bar owners even broke out the champagne. Was a great morning!
Family event or QPR? on 10:18 - May 23 with 2138 viewsqprxtc

Family event or QPR? on 10:13 - May 22 by QPRSteve

I missed us beating Millwall 6-0 in the 1965/66 season because my QPR-supporting older cousin got married. On a Saturday. During the season. Idiot.

Refused to go to his sister's wedding when she married a Scum supporter on the day we played the Scum at home. Won 1-0 and first time I think that we had ever beaten them.

Steve, don't forget you missed the 5-5 to go to some restaurant with some bir...woman. The only game you missed that season wasn't it?

My sister (and QPR supporting brother-in-law, Alright Gav!) got married the day we lost to Ipswich at home in 1994/95 season. Date escapes me, but I wasn't happy at missing it. My wife and I had the decency to get married on a Friday (also making sure it was an international weekend. Belt and braces...)

My sisters (and QPR supporting brother-in-laws, Alright Gav!) first child was born Walthamstow the day we drew at home to Sheffield United, 2-2 in 1997/98. February, I believe. Went over cooed at the baby, got my brother to drive me to Loftus Road in time to see Sheff U equalise in the second half for 2-2.

Have never let any of them forget it.....
Family event or QPR? on 19:58 - May 23 with 2050 viewsBoston

Family event or QPR? on 10:18 - May 23 by qprxtc

Steve, don't forget you missed the 5-5 to go to some restaurant with some bir...woman. The only game you missed that season wasn't it?

My sister (and QPR supporting brother-in-law, Alright Gav!) got married the day we lost to Ipswich at home in 1994/95 season. Date escapes me, but I wasn't happy at missing it. My wife and I had the decency to get married on a Friday (also making sure it was an international weekend. Belt and braces...)

My sisters (and QPR supporting brother-in-laws, Alright Gav!) first child was born Walthamstow the day we drew at home to Sheffield United, 2-2 in 1997/98. February, I believe. Went over cooed at the baby, got my brother to drive me to Loftus Road in time to see Sheff U equalise in the second half for 2-2.

Have never let any of them forget it.....

Gav marry both your sisters? Alright!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Family event or QPR? on 20:52 - May 23 with 2013 viewsQPRSteve

Thanks for reminding me Liam!

I used to miss one game a season to keep her happy. Missed the 4-1 win against Spurs as well. That was the end of that.
Family event or QPR? on 23:03 - May 23 with 1943 viewsFredManRave

Family event or QPR? on 10:42 - May 22 by Jeff

Neil_SI got married at the start of last season, on the Saturday of QPR vs Sheffield United. big old QPR contingent attended the wedding near Wales.

the match took place in the bit at weddings after the ceremony, but before the evening kicked in when people mill around and chat for a few hours. We were all huddled around my iPad watching it. Eze scores from the edge of the area. We all shout YES!! and go a bit mental as if we were there. EVERYONE ELSE, at this very posh wedding stops, looks at us - the musician stops playing. If there was a dog playing piano in an old western bar he would have stopped and turned around as well. record scratches etc.

Neil was actually with us the moment Eze scored which was serendipitous, and bless him thought it was hilarious, but myself and Clive were in retrospect mortified. We then got drunk and decapitated a cardboard cut out of John Terry.

Man, I bet that was a long grooms speech.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Family event or QPR? on 23:09 - May 23 with 1934 viewsBluce_Ree

Play off final vs Cardiff. That day my wife’s cousin’s kid was being christened.

I used the ‘fk that, I couldn’t give a fk about their kid or that bullshit ceremony’ tactic. It worked quite well and to be fair he’s grown up to be the world’s dullest kid so even if I was capable of feeling bad about it, I don’t.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Family event or QPR? on 14:12 - May 25 with 1767 viewsstowmarketrange

Family event or QPR? on 10:13 - May 22 by QPRSteve

I can top that one.My brother decided to get married in late October 1979 and I had to go.I missed the 7-0 against Burnley.Lucky it was on motd that night.
The final game against City in 2012 was another one I had to miss because my daughter was playing in a cup final that day.She saved 3 penalties in the shoot out,and everyone knows what happened later that afternoon.A real win win day.
[Post edited 25 May 2019 14:13]
Family event or QPR? on 20:01 - May 26 with 1641 viewsNeil_SI

Family event or QPR? on 10:42 - May 22 by Jeff

One of the great moments (even if we lost!) 😎

[Post edited 26 May 2019 20:02]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024