Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan McDonald 13:18 - May 23 with 2324 viewsbob566

read till the end of the article. For the record that was a good documentary worth watching.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/lower-than-anything-ive-ever-had-on-a-fo
Alan McDonald on 13:42 - May 23 with 2252 viewsfrancisbowles

Proud of the big man.
Alan McDonald on 14:00 - May 23 with 2201 viewsDannyPaddox

The phrase captain, leader, legend has been appropriated and sullied by a certain twunt. But Macca was truly all those things. An inspiration. One of the Rs finest.
Alan McDonald on 14:13 - May 23 with 2178 viewstimcocking

Beautiful and what you'd expect of a man of his calibre.
Alan McDonald on 14:38 - May 23 with 2136 viewsNed_Kennedys

Alan is mentioned in this article as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48336252
Alan McDonald on 17:41 - May 23 with 1927 viewsrobith

Absolute mark of the man
Alan McDonald on 20:03 - May 23 with 1780 viewsTacticalR

Niall Quinn describing the same incident a few years ago:

Windsor Park in 93 - Niall Quinn on Alan McDonald
Windsor Park in 93 - Niall Quinn on Alan McDonald by TacticalR 15 Nov 2014 14:37
This was on Off the Ball on Wednesday night during the discussion of Republic of Ireland's game with Northern Ireland at Windsor Park in 93:

Niall Quinn: If you remember the incident that happened just before the game, the atrocity, some terrorists came into a pub watching a game on Halloween and said to the crowd 'Trick or Treat?' and then shot a load of Irish fans, and that happened maybe a week or so before the game. That was difficult because to think football had any place in all that was frightening and still chills me to this day. The toughest memory I have in football is listening to the crowd in Northern Ireland sing 'Trick or Treat?' while we're playing on the pitch shortly after that incident. I'm sure it's been said that the Northern Ireland manager Billy Bingham wasn't trying to stop that by any stretch of the imagination, and it was a real tough time, and we qualified for the World Cup on the most extraordinary of evenings, and we came through this, and Alan (McLoughlin) speaks well in his book about the way up to the ground and the British soldiers and the kids who we thought were going to be like all kids and look for autographs...and actually it was like the military. They kneeled down in the front row and pretended they had guns. It was the horriblest thing. And of course there were armoured cars bringing us in. It stayed with me for a long time. But a man who's passed away since changed everything for me that night. And that was Alan McDonald. He was the captain of Northern Ireland. He was from a very tough Unionist part of Belfast. And he came into our dressing room and broke down the barriers that everybody else was afraid to go near. He wished us well at the World Cup finals. He was a proud Irish islander. He strengthened me that night to understand what sport can do.

Ger: After the game?

Niall Quinn: After the game. We'd got through, Denmark had failed to beat Spain, and we were all watching it on a monitor. We went into the dressing room afterwards. We didn't know whether to be happy because of the atrocities that had happened. It was an awful atmosphere all night. And Alan McDonald came in and he gave a speech. He didn't just say 'well done'. And that was the moment I knew that sport can beat everything.

There's a bit more background if you listen to the first ten minutes or so of the show.
http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Off_the_Ball_Football_Show/69042/1/windsor_park_in_93_and_a_damp_martin_oneill

Air hostess clique

Alan McDonald on 22:19 - May 23 with 1655 viewsHayesender

Not for the first time, Billy Bingham comes out looking like an arse of a man

Poll: Shamima Beghum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024