Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spotify and hifi help 19:57 - May 27 with 4365 viewsBlackCrowe

So one of you wonderful people must be able to help me here.

My old skool hifi is in the living room with wired speakers in there and also in the kitchen. I need help with the kitchen.

So i can obviously plug my device into the amp and play spotify through that and feed it into the kitchen but is there something that can plug into the amp that i can control/change the music from the kitchen so i don't have to keep going into the living room.

First world problems and all that, but if there's a solution i'd be grateful to hear it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Spotify and hifi help on 20:06 - May 27 with 3796 viewsJuzzie

If it’s just the kitchen I’d get a bluetooth speaker, Bose Soundlink Mini Would do the trick, and just pair your device straight to that.

The speaker is portable so good for days out, trips, holidays etc.
Spotify and hifi help on 20:24 - May 27 with 3773 viewsBlackCrowe

Spotify and hifi help on 20:06 - May 27 by Juzzie

If it’s just the kitchen I’d get a bluetooth speaker, Bose Soundlink Mini Would do the trick, and just pair your device straight to that.

The speaker is portable so good for days out, trips, holidays etc.

Thanks mate. I've got a lovely little bluetooth speaker Juzz (beoplay A1) but I've got a fab separates system in the living room with solid speakers in the kitchen that imo blow any digital speaker into oblivion, so want to use more.

Spotify and hifi help on 20:36 - May 27 with 3748 viewsJuzzie

What about this? Attach it to your amp then you just keep your device on you and pair them up.

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/bluetooth-audio-adapter

Chromecast Audio might do the trick too as I think it connects via wifi rather than the more battery draining Bluetooth.

[Post edited 27 May 2019 20:45]
Spotify and hifi help on 20:40 - May 27 with 3733 viewsBlackCrowe

Spotify and hifi help on 20:36 - May 27 by Juzzie

What about this? Attach it to your amp then you just keep your device on you and pair them up.

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/bluetooth-audio-adapter

Chromecast Audio might do the trick too as I think it connects via wifi rather than the more battery draining Bluetooth.

[Post edited 27 May 2019 20:45]

Inteeeerrrrresting Mr Bond. Will check out, looks promising. Cheers Juzz.

Spotify and hifi help on 13:25 - May 28 with 3500 viewshoof_hearted

https://gramofon.com

Gramofon is the one Spotify seemed to recommend. Had one for years connected to an old Bose system. Bit fussy setting up sometimes but does exactly what you want.
Spotify and hifi help on 16:25 - May 28 with 3414 viewsBlackCrowe

Spotify and hifi help on 13:25 - May 28 by hoof_hearted

https://gramofon.com

Gramofon is the one Spotify seemed to recommend. Had one for years connected to an old Bose system. Bit fussy setting up sometimes but does exactly what you want.

Sounds perfect but there doesn't seem anyway to actually buy it. maybe a failed start up?

Spotify and hifi help on 16:31 - May 28 with 3403 viewsLimehouseR

I can vouch for that logitech bluetooth device, it's actually very small too and doesn't seem to diminish the sound quality. Think they are about 30 quid if that.
I use one as the sofa is pretty far from the speakers so I can just play stuff off my phone or laptop without having to get up all the time etc.
Spotify and hifi help on 18:06 - May 28 with 3368 viewscolinallcars

I have an enormous amount of records so have never tried Spotify. I wonder, what is the sound quality like in relation to CDs or vinyl played on a high end system. Also, re the library - is it the usual suspects or do they have interesting, less common stuff ? How about jazz and blues ?
Login to get fewer ads

Spotify and hifi help on 18:15 - May 28 with 3360 viewsPunteR

Spotify and hifi help on 18:06 - May 28 by colinallcars

I have an enormous amount of records so have never tried Spotify. I wonder, what is the sound quality like in relation to CDs or vinyl played on a high end system. Also, re the library - is it the usual suspects or do they have interesting, less common stuff ? How about jazz and blues ?

Spotify is very good. Recommended. Not sure about blues and Jazz though

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Spotify and hifi help on 20:51 - May 28 with 3309 viewsBlackCrowe

Surprisingly wide and deep library for most genres. Try it (prime version) for month and explore, there's no long term commitment.

Spotify and hifi help on 20:52 - May 28 with 3308 viewsBlackCrowe

Spotify and hifi help on 16:31 - May 28 by LimehouseR

I can vouch for that logitech bluetooth device, it's actually very small too and doesn't seem to diminish the sound quality. Think they are about 30 quid if that.
I use one as the sofa is pretty far from the speakers so I can just play stuff off my phone or laptop without having to get up all the time etc.

Just bought it for £25 - many thanks to you and Juzz. Will report back on how i get on.

Spotify and hifi help on 21:41 - May 28 with 3287 viewsJuzzie

Spotify is less than MP3 quality

“Popular streaming websites like Spotify and Pandora typically use a bitrate of 160 kbps, which is less than that of MP3s. If you spring for Spotify Premium, you'll still only have access to 320 kbps tracks, which is equivalent to MP3s. Tidal is one of the only streaming websites that streams in CD quality.”

Probably ok for 99% of how it’s listened to but will probably show up on a really good sound system.
Spotify and hifi help on 21:51 - May 28 with 3274 viewscolinallcars

Spotify and hifi help on 21:41 - May 28 by Juzzie

Spotify is less than MP3 quality

“Popular streaming websites like Spotify and Pandora typically use a bitrate of 160 kbps, which is less than that of MP3s. If you spring for Spotify Premium, you'll still only have access to 320 kbps tracks, which is equivalent to MP3s. Tidal is one of the only streaming websites that streams in CD quality.”

Probably ok for 99% of how it’s listened to but will probably show up on a really good sound system.

That's discouraging, MP3 level is rather pony. If the library is really extensive however, it seems Spotify would be a good tool for listening to new music. If I discovered something I really like, I would purchase the CD or the vinyl. Could end up costing me a fortune !
Spotify and hifi help on 22:19 - May 28 with 3249 viewsJuzzie

Spotify and hifi help on 21:51 - May 28 by colinallcars

That's discouraging, MP3 level is rather pony. If the library is really extensive however, it seems Spotify would be a good tool for listening to new music. If I discovered something I really like, I would purchase the CD or the vinyl. Could end up costing me a fortune !

CD sales are dropping at an alarming rate whereas streaming services are on the up.

However, this has come at a cost of convenience over quality despite faster internet speeds and bigger memory.

Music has become a massive disposable commodity it feels.
Spotify and hifi help on 22:36 - May 28 with 3241 viewscolinallcars

Spotify and hifi help on 22:19 - May 28 by Juzzie

CD sales are dropping at an alarming rate whereas streaming services are on the up.

However, this has come at a cost of convenience over quality despite faster internet speeds and bigger memory.

Music has become a massive disposable commodity it feels.

I'm old fashioned and prefer an actual physical article rather than an invisible file. I also have fairly expensive set-up so appreciate the better quality f Cd and vinyl. I gather lossless downloads are good quality, but again I like to hold and look at the recording. This is where vinyl wins out for me.
Spotify and hifi help on 13:44 - May 29 with 3097 viewsJuzzie

Spotify and hifi help on 22:36 - May 28 by colinallcars

I'm old fashioned and prefer an actual physical article rather than an invisible file. I also have fairly expensive set-up so appreciate the better quality f Cd and vinyl. I gather lossless downloads are good quality, but again I like to hold and look at the recording. This is where vinyl wins out for me.

I wish there were more like you! The next generations coming through have no concept of this and are perfectly happy with their highly compressed music files being played on their phone (which cannot match a dedicated music player) and listened to on a pair of sh*tty (but oh so trendy) Beats headphones.

Proper CD's and vinyl will be dead in 10-15 years. Just about the time I may be able to retire if I time it right.
Spotify and hifi help on 14:17 - May 29 with 3064 viewsToast_R

Spotify and hifi help on 13:44 - May 29 by Juzzie

I wish there were more like you! The next generations coming through have no concept of this and are perfectly happy with their highly compressed music files being played on their phone (which cannot match a dedicated music player) and listened to on a pair of sh*tty (but oh so trendy) Beats headphones.

Proper CD's and vinyl will be dead in 10-15 years. Just about the time I may be able to retire if I time it right.

Probably. With electronic music though you can get away with down scaled compressed files as the music itself is formed of compressed files and digital samples.

I'm not even sure the new vinyl renaissance is that great as isn't it pressed using the digital versions of the masters anyway?

Like everything in the world, the quality diminishes for the purpose of profit.
Spotify and hifi help on 18:22 - May 29 with 2990 viewsJuzzie

Spotify and hifi help on 14:17 - May 29 by Toast_R

Probably. With electronic music though you can get away with down scaled compressed files as the music itself is formed of compressed files and digital samples.

I'm not even sure the new vinyl renaissance is that great as isn't it pressed using the digital versions of the masters anyway?

Like everything in the world, the quality diminishes for the purpose of profit.

"I'm not even sure the new vinyl renaissance is that great as isn't it pressed using the digital versions of the masters anyway? "

Some are, some aren't. Depends on what's available and how the record label want to present it. Masters are supplied as either lacquers (analogue) or WAV's (digital). WAV's are then cut onto lacquers or DMM's (direct metal mothers) at the factory.
So yes, having a vinyl pressed from digital source does seem to cross over the whole analogue/digital issue (I guess a bit like playing your CD's/iTunes/Spotigy through a valve amp) but I guess as long as really high quality files are used then it shouldn't be an issue.

The thing with the likes of spotify, itunes etc is that they are streaming compressed files that are probably more suited to headphones and smaller speaker set ups. Once you play them on serious speakers through a decent amp, maybe you can tell the difference then.

We have people listening to vinyl test pressings on huge amplifier/speaker set up's (often costing over £10,000) than in no way represents the true listening experience of most buyers then then reject the t.p. because of one tiny little crackle that a) is indicative of vinyl anyway b) probably won't be noticeable on your average £300-500, or less, home set up.
Spotify and hifi help on 18:33 - May 29 with 2985 viewsted_hendrix

There was always something special about buying a new album in days gone by, a wee bit weird I know but when I got a new album I would very carefully take the record out and sniff inside the sleeve it always had that certain aroma, also the first time you put it on your deck and watched the stylus go down and carefully land on the record was a bit special to me.
The album artwork was another appealing thing to me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Spotify and hifi help on 18:54 - May 29 with 2972 viewsqueensparker

I've been listening to Spotify Premium on a Sonos setup and a B and O bluetooth speaker for a few years now, and didn't really have anything to complain about re: sound quality, it's decent. And the choice of music on Spotify is fantastic, OK it won't have obscure old remixes but it's rare I can't find what I want.

Then I got a car with CD player recently and got the old CDs out, and the difference in sound really is night and day (especially for dance music). Mad what you get used to. So I'm going to set up a CD/vinyl/tape system in the front room soon, I want my kids to know how music can really sound (plus a great excuse to get all the old tunes out again).
Spotify and hifi help on 19:33 - May 29 with 2954 viewscolinallcars

Spotify and hifi help on 18:33 - May 29 by ted_hendrix

There was always something special about buying a new album in days gone by, a wee bit weird I know but when I got a new album I would very carefully take the record out and sniff inside the sleeve it always had that certain aroma, also the first time you put it on your deck and watched the stylus go down and carefully land on the record was a bit special to me.
The album artwork was another appealing thing to me.

I recently read book called A Fabulous Creation by David Hepworth about the whole experience of listening to albums. A really interesting book charting the author's love of LPs going back to Sergeant Pepper.
I don't like criticising young folk but many are just listening to electronic noises and have no conception of musical form. Maybe one day things will go full circle. I certainly hope so. I'm aware that our mums and dads thought we were listening to rubbish too.
Spotify and hifi help on 20:41 - May 29 with 2933 viewsPunteR

The sound of vinyl varies a lot depending on how its pressed, age, condition.
I only listen to electronic dance music (for want of a different expression). Im not really an expert on how a guitar, live vocal etc compares between digital and vinyl but i would imagine analog compliments a live sound better than digital.
A lot of the problem in electronic music for me is its lost a bit of oxygen. I watched an interview with Andrew Weatherall and he was bang on. When asked about how to create a good sound or tune he advised to take it out of the computer, even just a small part of it, take it out of the system , record it, then put it back in. I love that. I listen to hundreds of new tunes every week and i look for that quality.
If the tune is available on vinyl you know the artist has sweated blood and tears. Its always a good sign. There's a lot of generic rubbish out there available to download.
99% of my music i download though is good enough sound quality wise to play out at Fabric so that's good enough for my KRKs at home. Spotify also sounds fine on my monitors so no issues for me.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Spotify and hifi help on 21:18 - May 29 with 2918 viewsBlackCrowe

Music is the only industry i can think of where innovation has driven down the quality to such a degree. Not just software (mp3 etc) but it's the actual hardware. Single bluetooth speaker, Sonos sytems etc instead of amp driven properly wired speakers. god, even my kids are satisfied playing music out loud from their crappy phones instead of connecting to bluetooth or connecting their sh!tty airpods.

Where's the need for beauty/clairty of sound and genuine stereo.

god i sound old.

Spotify and hifi help on 21:56 - May 29 with 2903 viewsJuzzie

Spotify and hifi help on 21:18 - May 29 by BlackCrowe

Music is the only industry i can think of where innovation has driven down the quality to such a degree. Not just software (mp3 etc) but it's the actual hardware. Single bluetooth speaker, Sonos sytems etc instead of amp driven properly wired speakers. god, even my kids are satisfied playing music out loud from their crappy phones instead of connecting to bluetooth or connecting their sh!tty airpods.

Where's the need for beauty/clairty of sound and genuine stereo.

god i sound old.

In the loft I have a Kenwood stereo amp (KA2060 I think, circa 1995), a Kenwood 5.1 DTS AV amp (circa early 00’s) and a full set of surround sound speakers plus proper speaker cable & connections.
I steadfastly refuse to sell them even though I get hinted to do so from time to time.
Firstly, I’d be lucky to recoup more than £100 the lot so not worth it for what they can deliver. secondly, one day I hope to set them back up when the kids have grown out of poking, grabbing, destroying etc. everything they can lay their hands on. As it is, the tv is high up wall mounted and the Tannoy soundbase speaker are out of reach.
As good as the Tannoy is, it’s not a patch on my full on 5.1 set up.

One day.......

[Post edited 29 May 2019 22:11]
Spotify and hifi help on 21:08 - Feb 25 with 1566 viewsBlackCrowe

Just coming back to this thread....am free-trialling Tidal at the moment.

It's good, very good.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024