Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory Leadership Race 09:57 - May 31 with 58086 viewsDorse

Not a party political thing or a reason for an LFW punch-up, but I keep having the eerie feeling that eventually every single Tory MP will put themselves forward leaving Teresa May with the casting vote. At which point, she cackles maniacally and slowly points at Jacob Rees Mogg sitting at the back, with the entire parliamentary party turning to stare at him... He is seen to gulp and mutter 'Oh, copulate my happenstance'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Tory Leadership Race on 12:17 - Jun 20 with 1691 viewsessextaxiboy

Tory Leadership Race on 10:58 - Jun 20 by FDC

See also the "The only way to keep out the Tories is by becoming the Tories" rationale of the Blair years.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 10:58]

I cant stand Blair but on that he has been proved to be right . He did keep the Tories out by moving to the centre . Thats where most people are . Labour dont need to let go of all of their core beliefs but the current regime has no chance of attracting a majority .

Against the worst Tory election campaign and the worst PM they still came up short. The members need to decide whether they want to protest and agitate ..... or win .

IMO
Tory Leadership Race on 12:20 - Jun 20 with 1681 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tory Leadership Race on 12:17 - Jun 20 by essextaxiboy

I cant stand Blair but on that he has been proved to be right . He did keep the Tories out by moving to the centre . Thats where most people are . Labour dont need to let go of all of their core beliefs but the current regime has no chance of attracting a majority .

Against the worst Tory election campaign and the worst PM they still came up short. The members need to decide whether they want to protest and agitate ..... or win .

IMO

He also did it by getting Murdoch on board which no Labour leader enjoyed prior.

Tony Blair 'godfather to Rupert Murdoch's daughter' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14785501
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 12:24]
Tory Leadership Race on 12:22 - Jun 20 with 1672 viewsR_from_afar

Tory Leadership Race on 11:39 - Jun 20 by stevec

Think Disco called him out perfectly about 3 weeks ago.

I've seen 5 year olds handle a high chair better than this man child.

The thing is, though, this is important, it's about who is going to run our country. It's not about what they look like or how tall they are, this is about their policies and what they are going to do to help the UK deal with its many problems.

That said, I do not mean to have a go at you personally because I know I struggle with this too. I keep telling myself that I mustn't judge a politician because they look shifty or whatever, I must focus on their policies.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Tory Leadership Race on 12:25 - Jun 20 with 1660 viewsTacticalR

There was a bit of discussion about Rory Stewart on the 'Brexit means...' podcast. Their opinion was that he wasn't seriously trying to win this time around, but was positioning himself as the 'I told you so' candidate when Brexit gets even more unstuck.

Like Boris' dad his dad was in M16, although much more senior. Nice picture of Stewart Snr. in his pith helmet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Stewart_(diplomat)

Air hostess clique

Tory Leadership Race on 12:28 - Jun 20 with 1647 viewsElHoop

Tory Leadership Race on 11:39 - Jun 20 by stevec

Think Disco called him out perfectly about 3 weeks ago.

I've seen 5 year olds handle a high chair better than this man child.

Is that a different Disco to the one with a Nigel Farage photo presiding over his mantelpiece or the same one?
Tory Leadership Race on 12:33 - Jun 20 with 1620 viewsElHoop

Tory Leadership Race on 11:26 - Jun 20 by FDC

Stewart is going to enjoy a brief career in TV and then vanish.

I'm not sure that he'll want to stay in the Tory party or politics at all, not if he's got any sense anyway. The leadership debates and the response of the Tory membership really does indicate that this is the end of the road for the whole concept of what the Tory party currently represents. If Stewart can't command a senior role amongst this pile of dung then god help us.
Tory Leadership Race on 12:37 - Jun 20 with 1606 viewsbaldyoldgit

Boris is the best Tory leader for us remainers anyway. Theresa May's deal is dead and to keep it that way the Tory's are electing the very person who killed it.

What's left? A choice of 3: No deal, New deal or no Brexit.

EU has no Commission until November 1st but our extension expires on October 31st. Therefore, a new deal is out because there's no one to negotiate it with no matter how much bluster and bullshit from the last 4 candidates there is.

So we are left with just two choices. No deal or No Brexit.

QED. No Brexit.
Tory Leadership Race on 13:15 - Jun 20 with 1540 viewsFDC

A point the Statesman's Stephen Bush makes is that the most interesting thing about Stewart's campaign is that it demonstrates that there are 30-or-so Tory MPs willing to openly back an anti-No-Deal candidate in the knowledge that he will not win, therefore hampering their careers in the Tory party. As such, they are likely to also be willing to block No Deal in parliament.

An interesting point raised by James Meadway on the Novara podcast is that arguably Johnson is *not* the best horse for hard Brexiters to back: both Gove and Hunt have also pledged to Do The Brexit come what may, and they, unlike Johnson, you could at least say are likely to stick to their word. Johnson is by far the loosest cannon of the candidates, and of all of them is the most likely to throw his hands up and do something mental like revoke A50 and flounce off. If / when he is PM is inheriting an impossible puzzle, and doesn't really strike me as the kind of politician to dig in and grind out a solution.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 13:17]
Login to get fewer ads

Tory Leadership Race on 13:25 - Jun 20 with 1515 viewsElHoop

Tory Leadership Race on 13:15 - Jun 20 by FDC

A point the Statesman's Stephen Bush makes is that the most interesting thing about Stewart's campaign is that it demonstrates that there are 30-or-so Tory MPs willing to openly back an anti-No-Deal candidate in the knowledge that he will not win, therefore hampering their careers in the Tory party. As such, they are likely to also be willing to block No Deal in parliament.

An interesting point raised by James Meadway on the Novara podcast is that arguably Johnson is *not* the best horse for hard Brexiters to back: both Gove and Hunt have also pledged to Do The Brexit come what may, and they, unlike Johnson, you could at least say are likely to stick to their word. Johnson is by far the loosest cannon of the candidates, and of all of them is the most likely to throw his hands up and do something mental like revoke A50 and flounce off. If / when he is PM is inheriting an impossible puzzle, and doesn't really strike me as the kind of politician to dig in and grind out a solution.

Why does everyone try to put everybody else into some permanent pocket or other as regards Brexit? I voted to leave the EU but would have voted for Stewart if I'd been a Tory MP or member (given the chance) - these are all separate issues which are the result of weighing up the options in a specific situation at a specific moment in time. It's perfectly acceptable to want to leave the EU and think that Stewart is a good option for Tory leader. Similarly, from a different angle it would be perfectly rational to wish to remain in the EU and want Corbyn to be Labour leader.
Tory Leadership Race on 13:28 - Jun 20 with 1508 viewsCamberleyR

Javid eliminated.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Tory Leadership Race on 13:28 - Jun 20 with 1505 viewsessextaxiboy

Tory Leadership Race on 13:15 - Jun 20 by FDC

The Tory party leadership ballot is secret . Parliamentary votes are disclosed and recorded.

They can flip flop and no one would know .
Tory Leadership Race on 13:35 - Jun 20 with 1485 viewsessextaxiboy

Tory Leadership Race on 13:28 - Jun 20 by CamberleyR

Javid eliminated.

If Boris could stand the heat from manipulating the result he can choose his opponent now . His backers just lend their preferred opponent 30-40 votes .

He can choose Hunt for an easy friendly win or Gove for a chance of revenge but with a slight chance of getting worked over again.

Who would you like to play in the Cup Final , Burton Albion (couldnt think of anyone else) or Chelsea ? ..
Tory Leadership Race on 13:43 - Jun 20 with 1445 viewsFDC

Tory Leadership Race on 13:28 - Jun 20 by essextaxiboy

The Tory party leadership ballot is secret . Parliamentary votes are disclosed and recorded.

They can flip flop and no one would know .

Of course, although plenty of MPs publicly back their candidate too -- David Gauke for example has vocally endorsed Stewart. I'll concede that's not the case for all of those that voted, but I think Bush's point is correct that it indicates that there remains a significant fraction of the Tory party willing to rebel against the new Only The Most Extreme Brexit Is True Brexit Amen orthodoxy, which spells trouble for PM BoJo.
Tory Leadership Race on 13:50 - Jun 20 with 1425 viewsessextaxiboy

Tory Leadership Race on 11:26 - Jun 20 by FDC

Stewart is going to enjoy a brief career in TV and then vanish.

I wonder if you could get odds on him being in the Jungle eating Kangaroos nuts in say the next 10 years....
Tory Leadership Race on 13:54 - Jun 20 with 1414 viewsFDC

Tory Leadership Race on 13:50 - Jun 20 by essextaxiboy

I wonder if you could get odds on him being in the Jungle eating Kangaroos nuts in say the next 10 years....

Ha, absolutely nailed on!
Tory Leadership Race on 13:57 - Jun 20 with 1398 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tory Leadership Race on 13:50 - Jun 20 by essextaxiboy

Those Eton lads are odd. He probably does it anyway after every game of Soggy Biscuit.
Tory Leadership Race on 14:04 - Jun 20 with 1374 viewsrunningman75

Any R's Tory members backing Gove. Maybe he can have a word with H and F council to help our cause for a new stadium?
Tory Leadership Race on 14:17 - Jun 20 with 1344 viewsTacticalR

Tory Leadership Race on 13:57 - Jun 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Those Eton lads are odd. He probably does it anyway after every game of Soggy Biscuit.

At least the Leadership contest gives you a full range of Old Etonians to choose from.

Air hostess clique

Tory Leadership Race on 14:28 - Jun 20 with 1317 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Tory Leadership Race on 13:28 - Jun 20 by CamberleyR

Javid eliminated.

...and he’s probably started perusing decoration options for No. 11!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Tory Leadership Race on 14:36 - Jun 20 with 1308 viewsElHoop

Tory Leadership Race on 14:17 - Jun 20 by TacticalR

At least the Leadership contest gives you a full range of Old Etonians to choose from.

The last Labour leader to win a general election went to Fettes and the one before that was Harold Wilson who went to grammar school. Attlee went to private school and only MacDonald went to a school which wasn't either private or grammar. So it's not as if Labour's successful leadership history is exactly that of them representing 'one of the people' is it?
Tory Leadership Race on 14:48 - Jun 20 with 1292 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tory Leadership Race on 14:36 - Jun 20 by ElHoop

The last Labour leader to win a general election went to Fettes and the one before that was Harold Wilson who went to grammar school. Attlee went to private school and only MacDonald went to a school which wasn't either private or grammar. So it's not as if Labour's successful leadership history is exactly that of them representing 'one of the people' is it?

I don't think Grammar schools and Eton are quite in the same league but no one said Labor were immune to it did they.

Labour voters vote for their leader despite their privilege, Tories voters vote for their leaders because of it.
Tory Leadership Race on 14:51 - Jun 20 with 1289 viewsMatch82

Tory Leadership Race on 22:12 - Jun 19 by LythamR

"But they always get out and vote and usually win"

Absolutely they do, no argument there, the idealogical activists on both sides make the noise but the almost silent majority will generally tread a path balanced between social responsibility and self interest with a bias towards self interest.

seems to me its how heavy the bias towards self interest is that determines what sort of government and country we have ant any point in time

"the almost silent majority will generally tread a path balanced between social responsibility and self interest with a bias towards self interest. "

Nail, head.
Tory Leadership Race on 14:54 - Jun 20 with 1277 viewsElHoop

Tory Leadership Race on 14:48 - Jun 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I don't think Grammar schools and Eton are quite in the same league but no one said Labor were immune to it did they.

Labour voters vote for their leader despite their privilege, Tories voters vote for their leaders because of it.

Do you actually believe that?

It's a sweeping statement as my old history teacher would have called it. I doubt that there's any substance to it whatsoever.

Grammar schools in the plural? I don't think that they managed to produce that many.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 14:56]
Tory Leadership Race on 15:56 - Jun 20 with 1211 viewsTacticalR

Oddly enough it was Rory Stewart who asked the question of Patrick Minford that allowed Thatcher's favourite economist to explain one of the great advantages that Brexit will bring about

Air hostess clique

Tory Leadership Race on 16:08 - Jun 20 with 1176 viewsRangersDave

Tory Leadership Race on 13:35 - Jun 20 by essextaxiboy

If Boris could stand the heat from manipulating the result he can choose his opponent now . His backers just lend their preferred opponent 30-40 votes .

He can choose Hunt for an easy friendly win or Gove for a chance of revenge but with a slight chance of getting worked over again.

Who would you like to play in the Cup Final , Burton Albion (couldnt think of anyone else) or Chelsea ? ..

Chelsea of course, as we have a chance of beating them!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 16:12]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024