Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory Leadership Race 09:57 - May 31 with 58054 viewsDorse

Not a party political thing or a reason for an LFW punch-up, but I keep having the eerie feeling that eventually every single Tory MP will put themselves forward leaving Teresa May with the casting vote. At which point, she cackles maniacally and slowly points at Jacob Rees Mogg sitting at the back, with the entire parliamentary party turning to stare at him... He is seen to gulp and mutter 'Oh, copulate my happenstance'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Tory Leadership Race on 16:13 - Jun 20 with 2525 viewsNorthernr

I do hope that Stewart is around to stay and isn’t (as is a distinct possibility) just going to turn into a jungle weirdo and social media “influencer”. The situation is crying out for some centre right and left voices of merit for those of us absolutely sick of the rabid right v left tug of war.
Tory Leadership Race on 16:29 - Jun 20 with 2484 viewsFDC

I suppose he's centre-right, if you consider this Tory government centre right -- his voting record and stated politics are almost perfectly aligned with his party. So he was a continuity candidate in reality, and one thing almost everyone could agree on was that May was awful.

I think a lot of people who consider themselves Very Sensible have just fallen for his affable persona. In truth Rory Stewart is entirely unremarkable. The problem from this perspective isn't the lack of sensible adults in the room -- there are loads in this parliament, and they remain dominant on TV, radio and print media. The issue is that the technocratic levers they've all learned to be the solution to all problems no longer work. That's why ideology is back, not the lack of Rory Stewarts.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 16:30]
Tory Leadership Race on 16:47 - Jun 20 with 2454 viewsElHoop

Tory Leadership Race on 16:29 - Jun 20 by FDC

I suppose he's centre-right, if you consider this Tory government centre right -- his voting record and stated politics are almost perfectly aligned with his party. So he was a continuity candidate in reality, and one thing almost everyone could agree on was that May was awful.

I think a lot of people who consider themselves Very Sensible have just fallen for his affable persona. In truth Rory Stewart is entirely unremarkable. The problem from this perspective isn't the lack of sensible adults in the room -- there are loads in this parliament, and they remain dominant on TV, radio and print media. The issue is that the technocratic levers they've all learned to be the solution to all problems no longer work. That's why ideology is back, not the lack of Rory Stewarts.

'this Tory government' isn't actually a government any more though. It's a bunch of people who meet in a room once a week and once a week the leader of the bunch goes to another room where she is confronted by the leader of the non-opposition. You can't have ideology without leaders can you? It's just a collection of words which go nowhere without some sort of sense of direction. We're going nowhere at the moment - at least Stewart came across as someone who had a sense of direction. In some respects he comes across as the main opposition to the non-government.
Tory Leadership Race on 18:10 - Jun 20 with 2368 viewsstowmarketrange

Bye bye Gove you little weasel.
Tory Leadership Race on 18:13 - Jun 20 with 2359 viewsWEAREAWFUL

After 3 years of waiting johnson finally gets to return the backstabbing to gove by lending votes to hunt. Karma
Tory Leadership Race on 18:42 - Jun 20 with 2310 viewsDejR_vu

Let’s pray the Tory members have enough sense to send Boris on his way. Trump on one side of the Atlantic, Johnson on the other

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Tory Leadership Race on 20:05 - Jun 20 with 2225 viewsJuzzie

I find deeply worrying that someone who has been sacked more times than a potato picker and has lied, u-turned, embarrassed himself and the country, made a pigs ear of cabinet positions and mayor of London is in such a strong position to be PM. He really is UK’s Trump.

Then there’s Hunt who wants to kill off the globally envied NHS and UK becomes a pharma based economy where cures are not wanted because cures don’t make money.

‘kin hell.

[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 20:09]
Tory Leadership Race on 20:37 - Jun 20 with 2185 viewsDannyPaddox

Tory Leadership Race on 13:28 - Jun 20 by CamberleyR

Javid eliminated.

Dorse, for one, considered him head and shoulders above the others.
Login to get fewer ads

Tory Leadership Race on 21:59 - Jun 20 with 2121 viewsingeminate

Tory Leadership Race on 20:05 - Jun 20 by Juzzie

I find deeply worrying that someone who has been sacked more times than a potato picker and has lied, u-turned, embarrassed himself and the country, made a pigs ear of cabinet positions and mayor of London is in such a strong position to be PM. He really is UK’s Trump.

Then there’s Hunt who wants to kill off the globally envied NHS and UK becomes a pharma based economy where cures are not wanted because cures don’t make money.

‘kin hell.

[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 20:09]

bang on

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Tory Leadership Race on 22:18 - Jun 20 with 2090 viewsBoston

Tory Leadership Race on 18:10 - Jun 20 by stowmarketrange

Bright side is you'll still be able to buy him a pint in the Adelaide.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Tory Leadership Race on 23:08 - Jun 20 with 2045 viewsstowmarketrange

Tory Leadership Race on 22:18 - Jun 20 by Boston

Bright side is you'll still be able to buy him a pint in the Adelaide.

I’m more of a White Horse regular myself mate.
Tory Leadership Race on 23:59 - Jun 20 with 1999 viewsHunterhoop

Tory Leadership Race on 16:29 - Jun 20 by FDC

I fundamentally disagree that Parliament is full of sensible people, FDC.

Putting Stewart to one side for a minute, this Parliament is full of some spectacularly incompetent people, some spectacularly unqualified people, and some people who are so clearly in it for themselves.

From what i’ve heard (albeit second hand) from civil servants, there are very few ministers with any level of attention to detail, meaning many are completely incapable of fulfilling their roles effectively. The lack of effective opposition in Parliament, does not reflect well on the opposition parties.

Compared to previous incarnations, this Parliament is refinished precisely by it’s lack of sensible, experienced, and qualified personal, filled instead by those who only capable of comprehending black and white and incapable of successfully resolving complex problems.
Tory Leadership Race on 01:45 - Jun 21 with 1957 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I think it's time you can only be selected as an MP unless you have spend 15/20 years doing a real job.

Then maybe..just maybe they may actually start to connect with the electorate.

By that I mean not activists or people in a bubble but the people you chat to when doing a days work.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Tory Leadership Race on 05:05 - Jun 21 with 1910 viewstimcocking

Be nice if God or Aliens showed themselves and wiped them all out...
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 5:11]
Tory Leadership Race on 07:06 - Jun 21 with 1867 viewsstevec

Tory Leadership Race on 01:45 - Jun 21 by Metallica_Hoop

I think it's time you can only be selected as an MP unless you have spend 15/20 years doing a real job.

By that I mean not activists or people in a bubble but the people you chat to when doing a days work.

You’re right.

That said, the poor quality of politicians we are getting is largely down to the social media society that has created the problem.

When your every tweet, text or email over your whole life, scanning for every indiscretion, is thrown back at you as not fit for office it basically rules out the bulk of society from even wanting to become a politician.

So we’re left with the few who in many ways admirably fight on regardless, I’m thinking of Boris, Trump and Corbyn here or the squeaky clean who in fact are usually a whole lot less understanding of society than their flawed counterparts. Theresa May encompasses this issue perfectly.

Watching QT last night summed up the situation, a couple of black women in the audience made some heartfelt observations about the appalling situation of stabbings in London desperate for some kind of solution and all they got in return was the usual platitudes from those round the table, none with solutions just the usual tit for tat blame game.

Truth is, in many ways we’ve created those sat round that table, all too scared to speak. To be honest, whilst those two women deserve all the support they can get, they also need some home truths about the society that has formed around them. It’s contentious but we need politicians who are prepared to open this debate up even if some people don’t like it. But then, given the media backlash, why would any politician do that?
Tory Leadership Race on 07:30 - Jun 21 with 1856 viewsjonno

Absolutely agree.
Tory Leadership Race on 07:33 - Jun 21 with 1853 viewsjonno

Tory Leadership Race on 07:06 - Jun 21 by stevec

You’re right.

That said, the poor quality of politicians we are getting is largely down to the social media society that has created the problem.

When your every tweet, text or email over your whole life, scanning for every indiscretion, is thrown back at you as not fit for office it basically rules out the bulk of society from even wanting to become a politician.

So we’re left with the few who in many ways admirably fight on regardless, I’m thinking of Boris, Trump and Corbyn here or the squeaky clean who in fact are usually a whole lot less understanding of society than their flawed counterparts. Theresa May encompasses this issue perfectly.

Watching QT last night summed up the situation, a couple of black women in the audience made some heartfelt observations about the appalling situation of stabbings in London desperate for some kind of solution and all they got in return was the usual platitudes from those round the table, none with solutions just the usual tit for tat blame game.

Truth is, in many ways we’ve created those sat round that table, all too scared to speak. To be honest, whilst those two women deserve all the support they can get, they also need some home truths about the society that has formed around them. It’s contentious but we need politicians who are prepared to open this debate up even if some people don’t like it. But then, given the media backlash, why would any politician do that?

When the Mayor Of London claims that London is now "safer" than it was when he took over you realise that the first part of solving a problem is admitting there is one in the first place.
Tory Leadership Race on 07:41 - Jun 21 with 1852 viewsgobbles

Tory Leadership Race on 11:26 - Jun 20 by FDC

Stewart is going to enjoy a brief career in TV and then vanish.

That wouldn't be in keeping with the rest of his 40 or so years to date. He has achieved a lot in his life, unlike the rest of the bankers and lawyers who generally make up politics. I doubt he'd be motivated to be just being a minor celebrity.
Tory Leadership Race on 08:34 - Jun 21 with 1810 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I see the rationale, and God knows some of them wouldn’t know a days work if their lives depended on it, but I don’t think your idea is the answer. Sadly.

Just like debates on here about blooding 18 year old youth players over more experienced options, it’s really all down to ability and if they are good enough, they’re old enough.

There are 650 of them in the Commons and out of all of them, how many have we really got? Well I’d suggest: there isn’t one leader among them; there’s probably a good few hundred (mostly opposite the Government side) who at least know what the problems are; there’s probably a good few who are reasonably principled individuals; less with genuine ideas about making the country as good as it can; and as I say, no one who sufficient numbers of us can say: they are a true leader.

Politics should be a broad church of views, opinions and ideas. Alas it’s not, it is a totally stayed system, where the main two parties chose from their usual supplies. So for me, the problem isn’t just the calibre of people entering politics, it’s the political system that’s in desperate need of change. And that’s before we consider how heavily influenced politics is by big business/neo-liberal interests shall we say; and that ain’t changing anytime soon!

Notwithstanding his background, I think Rory Stewart gets it. And why I disagree with you is because the only other one that I think really gets it, is the youngest member of the Commons, Mhiari Black. She’s early 20s, would fail your test and yet, she’d run rings around most of them.

So there’s two. I don’t follow it much these days, so there maybe more but you’re right about most of them: clueless twunts groomed for office for years, self-serving leaches of their paymasters, and utterly clueless and whom you wouldn’t waste battery acid on!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Tory Leadership Race on 10:03 - Jun 21 with 1763 viewsFDC

Tory Leadership Race on 23:59 - Jun 20 by Hunterhoop

I fundamentally disagree that Parliament is full of sensible people, FDC.

Putting Stewart to one side for a minute, this Parliament is full of some spectacularly incompetent people, some spectacularly unqualified people, and some people who are so clearly in it for themselves.

From what i’ve heard (albeit second hand) from civil servants, there are very few ministers with any level of attention to detail, meaning many are completely incapable of fulfilling their roles effectively. The lack of effective opposition in Parliament, does not reflect well on the opposition parties.

Compared to previous incarnations, this Parliament is refinished precisely by it’s lack of sensible, experienced, and qualified personal, filled instead by those who only capable of comprehending black and white and incapable of successfully resolving complex problems.

There's an implicit assumption here that things used to be great and the current state of affairs is an abomination, an accident that could be rectified with enough efficient managerial politicians with an eye for detail. There's no account at all of the structural factors that have lead to where we are. Rampant inequality, the housing crisis, declining wages, homelessness. It's not just a case of mismanagement, these are the consequences of our economy.

You may be right that parliament is full of incompetents. I suspect that has always been true but they are now under more scrutiny. Regardless, a parliament full of sensible people will make no difference at all without systemic changes.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 10:05]
Tory Leadership Race on 11:00 - Jun 21 with 1727 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tory Leadership Race on 08:34 - Jun 21 by PlanetHonneywood

I see the rationale, and God knows some of them wouldn’t know a days work if their lives depended on it, but I don’t think your idea is the answer. Sadly.

Just like debates on here about blooding 18 year old youth players over more experienced options, it’s really all down to ability and if they are good enough, they’re old enough.

There are 650 of them in the Commons and out of all of them, how many have we really got? Well I’d suggest: there isn’t one leader among them; there’s probably a good few hundred (mostly opposite the Government side) who at least know what the problems are; there’s probably a good few who are reasonably principled individuals; less with genuine ideas about making the country as good as it can; and as I say, no one who sufficient numbers of us can say: they are a true leader.

Politics should be a broad church of views, opinions and ideas. Alas it’s not, it is a totally stayed system, where the main two parties chose from their usual supplies. So for me, the problem isn’t just the calibre of people entering politics, it’s the political system that’s in desperate need of change. And that’s before we consider how heavily influenced politics is by big business/neo-liberal interests shall we say; and that ain’t changing anytime soon!

Notwithstanding his background, I think Rory Stewart gets it. And why I disagree with you is because the only other one that I think really gets it, is the youngest member of the Commons, Mhiari Black. She’s early 20s, would fail your test and yet, she’d run rings around most of them.

So there’s two. I don’t follow it much these days, so there maybe more but you’re right about most of them: clueless twunts groomed for office for years, self-serving leaches of their paymasters, and utterly clueless and whom you wouldn’t waste battery acid on!!

Off the top my head....

Ian Lavery MP (Miner)
Angela Rayner MP (Teacher & Care Worker)
Karen Lee MP (Nurse)
Hugh Gaffney MP (Postman)

All in the shadow cabinet so would be in charge should Labour win the next election.

The list is much bigger obviously.

Only one party of normal working people ‘who get it’.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 11:03]
Tory Leadership Race on 11:37 - Jun 21 with 1665 viewsconnell10

Tory Leadership Race on 11:00 - Jun 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Off the top my head....

Ian Lavery MP (Miner)
Angela Rayner MP (Teacher & Care Worker)
Karen Lee MP (Nurse)
Hugh Gaffney MP (Postman)

All in the shadow cabinet so would be in charge should Labour win the next election.

The list is much bigger obviously.

Only one party of normal working people ‘who get it’.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 11:03]

Well said comrade!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Tory Leadership Race on 12:00 - Jun 21 with 1634 viewsbaldyoldgit

Brecon and Radnorshire have unseated their Tory MP. Welsh Assembly seat held by Labour but Brexit MEP came top (I think). Tory majority down to 3 now.
Tory Leadership Race on 12:06 - Jun 21 with 1619 viewsrunningman75

Tory Leadership Race on 12:00 - Jun 21 by baldyoldgit

Brecon and Radnorshire have unseated their Tory MP. Welsh Assembly seat held by Labour but Brexit MEP came top (I think). Tory majority down to 3 now.

The constituency has been Lib Dem in the past. would be interesting to see what tactical voting goes on.
Tory Leadership Race on 13:06 - Jun 21 with 1548 viewsR_from_afar

Tory Leadership Race on 18:10 - Jun 20 by stowmarketrange

Oi, he may be a weasel but he's our weasel, sort of!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024