Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chernobyl 14:01 - Jun 8 with 4426 viewsDannyPaddox

Now people are saying it's one of the best things ever ever made for TV I thought it deserved its own thread. I haven't seen the HBO production yet but have been fascinated by the reactions both praise and criticism since it began airing a few weeks ago. I've also been reading about Nuclear Power Stations world-wide. Seems like there hasn't been one built that hasn't caught fire at one stage or another. I feel like we've discovered these relatively new processes for creating energy but like monkeys playing with fireworks haven't really got a good grip on the consequences. We still don't know what to do with the radioactive waste which lasts for quite a long time - practically forever - and forever is mighty long time. Apparently the lastest thing is to bury the deadly stuff deep in abandoned salt-mines.

Back to the 5 part TV series I'm looking forward to watching it immensely but amongst the acclaim it seems the show does have one critic - The Kremlin, and Moscow will soon be making their own version including a main narrative strand involving meddling imperialist American spies.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/06/04/putins-media-struggle-to-deal-with-hbo

[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 14:11]
Chernobyl on 14:47 - Jun 8 with 3252 viewsDiscodroids

Halfway through it and imo, it rivals 'True Detective' series one .

Fans of the series may enjoy the video below..

Ade edmondson playing the jared harris role is superb.

[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 14:48]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Chernobyl on 14:48 - Jun 8 with 3247 viewsPunteR

What i've seen so far the Kremlin doesn't come out of this very well. I'm astounded nuclear power is even an option. Madness.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Chernobyl on 15:56 - Jun 8 with 3142 views2Thomas2Bowles

Half a Spackman

Half decent tv by LadbrokeR 29 Apr 2016 6:36
I watched the last episode of line of duty and thought that was good. Undercover has finally grabbed by attention. I quite like some of the investigative programmes Stacey Dooley does. However I can't wait for the next series of people just do nothing.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Chernobyl on 16:28 - Jun 8 with 3083 viewsDannyPaddox

Chernobyl on 15:56 - Jun 8 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Half a Spackman

Half decent tv by LadbrokeR 29 Apr 2016 6:36
I watched the last episode of line of duty and thought that was good. Undercover has finally grabbed by attention. I quite like some of the investigative programmes Stacey Dooley does. However I can't wait for the next series of people just do nothing.

This thread being a direct response to the Half-decent TV thread rather than a spacky repetition as I consider the show and its themes "deserved its own thread" I think you'll find the Spackman Geiger counter is showing a reading of zero Spacquerels. But let's not fall-out over it.

Threads (1984). There was another unsettling nuclear disaster TV landmark.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 16:32]
Chernobyl on 16:37 - Jun 8 with 3060 viewscolinallcars

Chernobyl on 16:28 - Jun 8 by DannyPaddox

This thread being a direct response to the Half-decent TV thread rather than a spacky repetition as I consider the show and its themes "deserved its own thread" I think you'll find the Spackman Geiger counter is showing a reading of zero Spacquerels. But let's not fall-out over it.

Threads frightened the life out of me when it came out. The amputations without anaesthetic was gruesome.
Chernobyl on 17:15 - Jun 8 with 2990 viewsR_from_afar

Quite apart from the safety and waste storage challenges, there are a number of major issues with them:
- The cost only goes up over time
- Their water based cooling systems can become blocked, requiring a shutdown
- Said systems demand massive amounts of water
- They are low carbon energy sources but ironically, rising temperatures mean that as an example river water can now be too warm to be used to cool them. This has recently happened in France and caused shutdowns
- Maintenance and refuelling eat into uptime
- Their colossal output is a double edged sword: It is so huge that it is very difficult to back up with other energy sources

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Chernobyl on 17:19 - Jun 8 with 2983 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

When I saw this post I thought were were playing them on the pre season tour.

Difficult to take a goal kick with seven toes.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 17:20]
Chernobyl on 17:22 - Jun 8 with 2975 viewsDavieQPR

When I first heard Chernobyl fallout I had to check my zip was done up.
Login to get fewer ads

Chernobyl on 17:36 - Jun 8 with 2923 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Chernobyl on 17:22 - Jun 8 by DavieQPR

When I first heard Chernobyl fallout I had to check my zip was done up.

Chernobyl on 17:51 - Jun 8 with 2890 viewsDannyPaddox

Chernobyl on 17:19 - Jun 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

When I saw this post I thought were were playing them on the pre season tour.

Difficult to take a goal kick with seven toes.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 17:20]

Avanhard Stadium, Pripyat in the 1980s.

FC Stroitel Pripyat.

By 1987 the team had relocated 50km east of the power plant and was now called FC Stroitel Slavutych after the town built to house the fleeing inhabitants of Pripyat.

Edit: Jesus Fcuking Christ. Paul Scholes dick! I wasn't expecting the thread to get that gruesome.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 17:57]
Chernobyl on 18:35 - Jun 8 with 2816 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Chernobyl on 17:51 - Jun 8 by DannyPaddox

FC Stroitel Pripyat.

By 1987 the team had relocated 50km east of the power plant and was now called FC Stroitel Slavutych after the town built to house the fleeing inhabitants of Pripyat.

Edit: Jesus Fcuking Christ. Paul Scholes dick! I wasn't expecting the thread to get that gruesome.

Nuclear disaster isn’t the worst thing the Reds are responsible for.
Chernobyl on 18:55 - Jun 8 with 2789 viewsNortholt_Rs

Chernobyl on 14:48 - Jun 8 by PunteR

What i've seen so far the Kremlin doesn't come out of this very well. I'm astounded nuclear power is even an option. Madness.

They don’t come out looking great at all....especially the attempt to cover up the causes post-event. So, the Russians are now making their own version with state backing to show the disaster wasn’t caused by the fact the reactor was built on the cheap (it was), but in fact it was sabotaged by a CIA agent. Of course it was!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Chernobyl on 19:18 - Jun 8 with 2744 views2Thomas2Bowles

Chernobyl on 16:28 - Jun 8 by DannyPaddox

Chernobyl on 21:34 - Jun 8 with 2602 viewsBoston

Chernobyl on 16:37 - Jun 8 by colinallcars

Threads frightened the life out of me when it came out. The amputations without anaesthetic was gruesome.

You could always arrange private medical insurance old chap.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Chernobyl on 21:36 - Jun 8 with 2597 viewsBoston

Chernobyl on 17:51 - Jun 8 by DannyPaddox

FC Stroitel Pripyat.

When you've seen one Man Utd dickhead you've seen 'em all.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Chernobyl on 21:50 - Jun 8 with 2580 viewsLblock

Chernobyl is brilliant TV, best thing seen for years.

I’d put it up with Band of Brothers and True Detective 1

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Chernobyl on 22:23 - Jun 8 with 2539 viewsSharpediver

Chernobyl is indeed superb TV. Gripping (though horrifying) throughout and astonishingly realistic in its staging. I can remember the disaster well and visited the USSR just a year later in 1987. The background details in the TV series - clothes, vehicles, telephones etc. reminded me exactly of what the place was like at that time.
If you're so inclined and you like European type cinema, two other great series/box sets on Sky Atlantic are 'Babylon Berlin' based on the novels of Volker Kutscher and set in 1929 and 'My Brilliant Friend', based on the novels of Elena Ferrante and set in 1950s Naples. Both series are due sequels out hopefully later this year.
Chernobyl on 22:33 - Jun 8 with 2508 viewsenfieldargh

Chernobyl on 22:23 - Jun 8 by Sharpediver

Chernobyl is indeed superb TV. Gripping (though horrifying) throughout and astonishingly realistic in its staging. I can remember the disaster well and visited the USSR just a year later in 1987. The background details in the TV series - clothes, vehicles, telephones etc. reminded me exactly of what the place was like at that time.
If you're so inclined and you like European type cinema, two other great series/box sets on Sky Atlantic are 'Babylon Berlin' based on the novels of Volker Kutscher and set in 1929 and 'My Brilliant Friend', based on the novels of Elena Ferrante and set in 1950s Naples. Both series are due sequels out hopefully later this year.

Babylon Berlin is excellent and already a few thumbs up on the tv thread, great stuff.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Chernobyl on 23:41 - Jun 8 with 2423 viewsqprxtc

[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 23:59]
Chernobyl on 08:35 - Jun 9 with 2233 viewsactonman

Binge watched it all last night and thought it was a very good insight and bloody scary as to how a nuclear power plant was looked after.

If there was a film of how not to implement or adhere to any sort of health and safety or management accountability then this is the one. Amazing that beyond this part of Russia , it was actually 1986 and not 1956
Chernobyl on 08:40 - Jun 9 with 2231 viewsjonno

Yes, excellent serial and pretty harrowing stuff. Makes you think!
Chernobyl on 08:58 - Jun 9 with 2202 viewsdistortR

Chernobyl on 17:36 - Jun 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Chernobyl on 10:25 - Jun 9 with 2108 viewsBlackCrowe

How to watch this please? can't see it on Netflix or Prime and the Crowe exchequer can't manage another subscription.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Chernobyl on 10:39 - Jun 9 with 2087 views2Thomas2Bowles

Chernobyl on 10:25 - Jun 9 by BlackCrowe

How to watch this please? can't see it on Netflix or Prime and the Crowe exchequer can't manage another subscription.

Now tv
If you have not had it before, you can get it free for 7 days I think

https://www.nowtv.com/products
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 10:42]

Chernobyl on 18:15 - Jun 9 with 1840 viewsGloucs_R

I've not started watching it yet so please can nobody spoil the ending for me 🙄

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024