Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog Shít 19:49 - Jun 12 with 6056 viewsFredManRave

Unfortunately my Mother-In-Law passed away late last year and we decided to take in her dog who is a gorgeous, loving though rather scatty cross breed. Fortunately he gets on well with the family dog and all is great except for one messy detail.

You guessed it, he pisses and shíts in the house. Can be anywhere upstairs or downstairs. He was never properly house trained with the MIL because she had no garden (he used to go in an open air non used garage) so in his mind it's acceptable to do his business on "hard" floors.

So does anybody have any suggestions on how to retrain the little shít to do his business in the garden. We leave him outside sometimes for hours on end and then he comes indoors and will run straight upstairs and crap in one of the bedrooms, almost as if to wind me up on purpose!

I've tried the shoving his nose in it and scolding him and leaving him outside for hours but it's just not working and I'm certainly not going to hit him as some have suggested.

So any suggestions or ideas on this messy situation would be greatly appreciated...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Dog Shít on 14:21 - Jun 14 with 1881 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Dog Shít on 14:17 - Jun 14 by Mick_S

Is that samosa be funny?

He's just contributing to the Chaat

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Dog Shít on 18:03 - Jun 14 with 1793 viewsR_from_afar

I listen to all sorts of random TV and radio programmes while I am doing chores and in one of them, the subject of the science of dog training came up.

Apparently, punishing them does not help them learn, the best approach is to reward good behaviour and to simply ignore bad deeds.

Good luck with your pooch!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dog Shít on 18:39 - Jun 14 with 1761 viewsqprxtc

Dog Shít on 03:08 - Jun 15 with 1676 viewsMiss_Terraces

Dog Shít on 14:06 - Jun 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

...and if you do it for a Indian Restaurant owner, it'll be a very good Korma for you.

There is no such thing, as a good korma!

Let alone a very good korma

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Dog Shít on 01:13 - Jun 18 with 1465 viewstimcocking

Dog Shít on 17:30 - Jun 13 by BrianMcCarthy

I minded my sister's labrador pup last autumn. The thing pisses everywhere. Sometimes because it needs to, sometimes because it feels like it, sometimes because it's excited, sometimes because, well, because it can.

The high point of my weekend with Casey was the discovery that many women automatically think that a man walking a dog is automatically a lovely fella. The low point happened on the Sunday morning.

Awoken at 6 a.m. by his incessant barking, I opened the bathroom door and was confronted by Sigourney Weaver's Ghostbusters flat. There was slime absolutely everywhere. I have no idea how much excrement and urine could have come out of such a little puppy.

It took me half an hour to clean up the bathroom, whereupon I needed a shower. Casey and his bed were put into the living room while I scrubbed myself clean. Then I stepped out of the shower, fully refreshed. Stepped into a puddle. A huge puddle.

Confused, I looked around, to be greeted by a wagging tail and two happy doe-eyes. Proud doe-eyes. Casey had broken out of the living room, into the bathroom and had deposited a small ocean of piss where I was now standing.

So I had another shower. My second of the day. And all before 7 a.m.

Casey is still alive.

Casey?

No offence Bri, but i'm not sure i like that name for a dog. Particularly a male dog.

Look, you need to do the decent thing here and tell your sister her she has to change that name. You can't have a poor male dog walking around being called Casey.

I called my Dog Archie. That's the sort of thing she needs to be looking for.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 1:15]
Dog Shít on 09:07 - Jun 18 with 1403 viewsMick_S

My dog is called Ralph. Good boy. Proper man's name.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Dog Shít on 01:58 - Jun 19 with 1286 viewsBoston

Mine's called Kingston. He's big and black.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dog Shít on 02:01 - Jun 19 with 1285 viewsBoston

Dog Shít on 17:40 - Jun 13 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Treats is the only way, like most training.

Dogs are the same as 2 year olds
Leaving it out for hours is cruel as is rubbing his nose in it, would you do that to a 2-year-old?
I'm in a wheelchair and have 2 dogs and managed to train them.
Frankly, the way you are going on you should not have a dog.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2019 17:44]

Wheelchair and two dogs...have you ever considered the Iditarod?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Dog Shít on 03:41 - Jun 19 with 1279 viewstimcocking

Dog Shít on 17:40 - Jun 13 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Treats is the only way, like most training.

Dogs are the same as 2 year olds
Leaving it out for hours is cruel as is rubbing his nose in it, would you do that to a 2-year-old?
I'm in a wheelchair and have 2 dogs and managed to train them.
Frankly, the way you are going on you should not have a dog.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2019 17:44]

A little harsh, sounds like he's trying to do his best. I completely agree with you, but you obviously understand dogs not everybody does it's an art form. Pleased to see he's asking for ideas. (Most people don't look after their dogs correctly imo.)

Worth persevering with because apart from my daughter, dogs and cats are by far the best thing God has ever produced, i can't express how huge my love for the cute little buggers is. Particularly Tigers.

Interestingly, my Dad got an Irish Wolfhound when i was young. Grizzy. She was the runt of a litter of 9. He was walking down the street one day a fella came up and said your dog is a natural born Champion, let me enter her in a show. She won every show, ended up winning best of breed at Crufts two years in a row. Champion Aelius Elfrida, best wolfhound on planet earth. You have to earn the title Champion with dogs. She's been in a film (Sir Gawain and the Green Knight) and a book, almost a pedigree chum advert. What an animal she was. She had a litter of puppies, we gave them to the most loving seeming owners we could find and kept two, Jake and Archie. Jake won the best of show all breeds (the best dog in the world that means) for dogs under two.

Unfortunately, though, Jake and Archie subsequently went berserk and tore apart a whole field of sheep, literally slaughtering them in a frenzy. Sheep charging everywhere with their entrails flying...it wasn't pretty. We had to ship them over to Germany before they were exterminated. The local cat population had also taken something of a hit.

I'll tell you, though...watching them run flat out and jumping over 5 bar farmer's gates...something incredible to witness. Most Wolfhounds are a little ungainly, but these were wondrous to behold.

Blimey, you can still buy the book with my dog in it :-) She died on my mum's birthday, i don't think my mum (or my dad) has ever recovered from it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Best-Beryl-Chapples-Paintings/dp/0500013330
Dog Shít on 03:55 - Jun 21 with 1141 viewsisawqpratwcity

Dogs are easily the best species on the planet. Luckily, they think the same about us.

The crapping in the garden bit isn't far from the truth. I peed in the garden (at night) to teach my last two pups. It worked, and that is most of the battle of house-training done.

And don't let dogs have the opportunity to attack cats/sheep/whatever. Be responsible.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Dog Shít on 05:10 - Jun 21 with 1127 viewsPommyhoop

My dog is called Chester, I was down the local dog park and this scruffy looking chap who was also a Pom heard me calling my dog..'' Hey pal ,you from Chester? '' he asked in decidedly Northern tones.. '' Nah mate London' I replied . '' Eeee ,what did you call your dog Chester fur ?' he enquired. ''Just like the name'' I replied..
He was from Derby so his dog was called Darby I gave out a big TSK and walked off .
I wish it hadn't of been a couple of years earlier than Bobby Day....

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Dog Shít on 08:59 - Jun 21 with 1080 viewstimcocking

Dog Shít on 03:55 - Jun 21 by isawqpratwcity

Dogs are easily the best species on the planet. Luckily, they think the same about us.

The crapping in the garden bit isn't far from the truth. I peed in the garden (at night) to teach my last two pups. It worked, and that is most of the battle of house-training done.

And don't let dogs have the opportunity to attack cats/sheep/whatever. Be responsible.

Yeah, but that was decades back, different times. In the forests of Wales, you go there with the dogs specifically so they can run free as nature intended. Hounds in particular need to run and hunt to stay happy and healthy. They literally live for it and take great joy attempting to maintain the rabbit and squirrel populations. Beautiful to watch Wolfhounds hunting. Problem then of course, they just developed the taste for blood and they were so fast not much got away. Couldn't differentiate between rabbits and squirrels and cats and then bloody huge farm animals. Twas one day there were somehow sheep in a clearing in the forest...like something out of Nightmare on Elm Street that was. Allegedly! Of course, normally cats sort out dogs with a scratch on the nose or whatever, so sometimes they don't bother to run away. That would be a big mistake with a Wolfhound, though, because it'd be dead already. I remember one time one of the old farmers' wives saying to my Dad one day 'don't worry, let go of the hound, this cat is a gnarly farm cat it'll soon teach him a lesson if he tries to mess with her.' "No, i'd better not...' "No, she'll be fine" Bang.Dead cat. Yeah, they were dangerous but my God they were frigging gorgeous. One got knocked out stone cold trying to kill a horse once. Horse kicked him ten feet. Those were the days.

We'd have my mum and dad and the four Cocking boys and three Irish Wolfhounds all packed into the worst, smallest car in the local area. It must have looked fcuking odd. Health and safety wouldn't stand for it now. Hate health and safety.

And being Hounds obviously they were completely safe and gentle with people and babies and dogs. Just desperate to kill anything else. It's their nature. Even Dachshunds are proper hunting animals if you let them loose in the woods. No mole is safe with a sausage dog around. Hounds are the best dogs by far imo.

Re Potty training you're not wrong, my cats all learned to pee in the toilet if i forget to put the seat down (well, half of them can) and they all regularly come and drink from my hands if i'm at the sink. They have me quite well trained now.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 9:44]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024