Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR 13:38 - Jun 19 with 3473 viewsthame_hoops

Has anyone else seen this?

I went last night with herts_Ranger, superb film.

I didn't know much about his Napoli days in the 80s due to no internet etc, I have never really liked the man but this documentary has changed my mind.

now I want to go visit Naples too
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 13:57 - Jun 19 with 3425 viewsToast_R

Wouldn't mind seeing it but not sure I can be arsed to go cinema and watch it. Probably go to shitflix eventually wont it?

I still believe he was the GOAT - obviously not if you're Terry Butcher. They way he single- handedly dragged a decent but average team to World Cup glory has never been paralleled.

A time when not much protection if any was given by referees and at a time when pitches were rubbish. Some of the goals and scored and the control he had of the ball was miraculous. Gary Lineker has often said the pitch on the Azteca that day was God awful, literally like they'd thrown random bits of turf on the ground and when it was walked upon, a good square metre or so of pitch shifted under your feet, so to score the goal of the century as it's known was even more remarkable. Then take into account his goals against Belgium in the semi final.

Naples is ok, worth going for a visit to Pompeii.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 13:57]
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 15:15 - Jun 19 with 3347 viewsBoston

See Naples and die.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 15:16 - Jun 19 with 3344 viewsBoston

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 15:15 - Jun 19 by Boston

See Naples and die.

I’ve always presumed Die is a Welsh bloke living in Italy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 15:17 - Jun 19 with 3341 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I haven't seen it but my mate said it was brilliant.
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 15:36 - Jun 19 with 3288 viewsKonk

My best mate's family were from Naples, so I watched a lot of Maradona's games when he was at Napoli, as about 20-30 people used to pile into someone's front room and watch the games via fu ck-off Satellite dishes on people's garage roofs or in their back gardens. It used to get a bit noisy.

It's mad that when you go to Napoli, he's still everywhere; pictures in every other taxi, shop or restaurant. Graffiti, merchandise for sale at the football, they sing songs about him even now...he is a complete God in that city. I have a predisposition for scruffy port cities, so I love Naples; lovely people, great food, some grand architecture. A bit edgy and chaotic in places, with plenty of social problems, but I think it's a great place to visit, with Capri, the Amalfi Coast and Pompei all nearby too.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 19:21 - Jun 19 with 3135 viewsdenhamhoop2

Fantastic film gives you an insight into his turbulent personal life and shows he is basically 2 people Diego who is a quite shy humble lad and Maradona who is flashy and arrogant enough to join in on a song singing "Maradona is God".
The tackle by Goicoechea is absolute filth glad to see he finally admitting having a son out of wedlock.
I have been recently wondering if Messi and Ronaldo are in the same league but this film confirms that good as they are I just don't think they could have coped with the physical abuse Maradona did
Old Ranger Peter Reid clearly elbows him in the face off the ball in the infamous Hand of God game
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 23:05 - Jun 19 with 2947 viewsOutWestR

Excellent documentary, well worth watching. Spotted a QPR / Union Jack flag in the footage from the Mexico World Cup too.
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 23:26 - Jun 19 with 2932 viewsthame_hoops

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 19:21 - Jun 19 by denhamhoop2

Fantastic film gives you an insight into his turbulent personal life and shows he is basically 2 people Diego who is a quite shy humble lad and Maradona who is flashy and arrogant enough to join in on a song singing "Maradona is God".
The tackle by Goicoechea is absolute filth glad to see he finally admitting having a son out of wedlock.
I have been recently wondering if Messi and Ronaldo are in the same league but this film confirms that good as they are I just don't think they could have coped with the physical abuse Maradona did
Old Ranger Peter Reid clearly elbows him in the face off the ball in the infamous Hand of God game

Was that Reid or Hodge,both ex rangers, couldn’t make it out
Login to get fewer ads

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 23:55 - Jun 19 with 2914 viewsDannyPaddox

An 18 year old Gary Waddock had to keep an eye on a 19 year old Diego Maradona in a friendly in Lansdowne Road in May 1980. Pretty sure it was only Waddo's second appearance. YouTube has footage.

In the first few seconds of fhe game the Irish Captain the late Tony Grealish clatters into Maradona but fails to bring him down, Waddock close behind follows up and finishes the job. Diego trots off rubbing his thigh. Later Grealish hacks Maradona down outside of the box to the left. Maradona puts the free-kick on an Argentinian head for the only goal of the game.

Also in the Ireland XI (Eoin Hand's first as manager) were ex-Rs Paul McGee and Don Givens as well as Hughton, Moran, Daly, and Steve Heighway. Despite the Diego rough-housing this was a great Irish team and with the addition of Brady and Stapleton really should've graced a tournament but that's another story.

Maradona was only a teenager at this point but I remember newspaper talk even then saying he was the next big thing. Looking forward to seeing the film Friday.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 0:04]
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 01:24 - Jun 20 with 2868 viewstimcocking

Whether i 'like' Maradona or not is a complicated question and it's a very ambiguous word.

The world would certainly have been poorer without him, though. I bet i have much more in common with Diego Maradona as a person than i do David Cameron or Theresa May, who seem from a totally different planet to me. And he was a bloody brilliant football player.

Shooting at journalists is reason enough to like the guy.

Re Naples, well, let's be honest, Italy is as cool as fcuk. If i was to be born and i wasn't allowed to be British and i could choose, i'd wanna be an Italian. Coolest people, coolest country. Best names, best accent. Best climate. Beautiful, stylish football kit, never got naff gay stripes on it or different colours. I deserve a kit of that stature, way too cool to be saddled with our shitty kits with their vile patterns. Particularly when, if we had any taste at all as a country, we could simply be wearing all white for every sport, as we should, the most powerful kit of all. Unfortunately, though, most Brits have really poor sartorial sense and the people in charge always a fcuking bad joke so we're lumbered.

And they have stuff like this...

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?177361-Italian-Footballer-Pranks-F
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 1:39]
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 09:48 - Jun 20 with 2709 viewspaulparker

Fcuk the fat little Sh1t , he is a cheat and I wish nothing but bad luck
On him, Ronaldo is twice the player he ever was

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 09:57 - Jun 20 with 2699 viewsTheChef

I saw it last night too, loved it. Loads of amazing archive footage - in particular when he's presented to the Napoli fans at the stadium. Goose bumps.

What a life though. I wonder in hindsight if he wishes Argentina had lost that World Cup semi final against Italy? Things unravelled very rapidly after that.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 10:27 - Jun 20 with 2682 viewsTheChef

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 23:26 - Jun 19 by thame_hoops

Was that Reid or Hodge,both ex rangers, couldn’t make it out

Good old Terry Fenwick.

Hacked him down and got a booking early on. Then there was the elbow they showed. Had Fenwick not been on a yellow I'm quite sure he would have taken him out and prevented the greatest goal ever. You can see him check himself around the 25 second mark. Well, that or Maradona was just too quick for him...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 10:28 - Jan 1 with 1619 viewsJuzzie

Watched this last night.

I think the whole thing surrounded this dual persona he had to create. Diego, by all accounts, was a nice, caring, good, person who would do anything for anyone especially his family.
However, staying as Diego he’d have got eaten alive such was the demand for him in Naples with seemingly no protection. Everyone wanted a piece of him, no one seemed to care about him just as long as they were getting something out of it.
He had to create ‘Maradonna’ (hence talking about him in the 3rd person as though he was talking about someone else) to survive.

Unfortunately it consumed him and that’s who he became. Diego had died.
Even in the depths of being Maradonna I get the feeling all he wanted to be all along was Diego, the caring guy who wanted to be a family man and just play football that he loved. All the parasites effectively killed him.
That Napoli Christmas party circa 1990. Wow. Completely broken and alone.

Whilst Mexico 86 made him and paved the way for Napoli’s success over the next few years, Italia 90 destroyed him. The semi final v Italy in Naples, oh crap. Best thing he could have done was said that he expects Neopolitans to support Italy not Argentina but his alter ego had so consumed him it was all about him. If Italy had won it probably would have been ok but losing was the beginning of the end for him.
Once back in Argentina you would have hoped Diego would have come back but Maradonna had taken over. This is where he has himself to blame. He had the money and the family and could have backed into the shadows but he was now an addict. Not just for the drugs but for himself. He got worse.

It was inevitable he wasn’t going to live a long life. 60 is nothing.

I like Diego but I don’t like Maradonna.

RIP.

[Post edited 1 Jan 2021 14:59]
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 11:03 - Jan 1 with 1520 viewsbakerloo8

Great film. Whatever you think about the guy and 86 n all that he was really a rare talent.

Best I've ever seen, won the world cup single handedly all whilst getting chopped to pieces in the process.

Mafia got hold of him in Italy and he was consumed unfortunately. RIP Diego.
Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 15:21 - Jan 1 with 1357 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Maradona Documentary ***NON QPR on 10:27 - Jun 20 by TheChef

Good old Terry Fenwick.

Hacked him down and got a booking early on. Then there was the elbow they showed. Had Fenwick not been on a yellow I'm quite sure he would have taken him out and prevented the greatest goal ever. You can see him check himself around the 25 second mark. Well, that or Maradona was just too quick for him...

No doubt Fenwick was going to take him out only for the yellow card which today would have been a red of course .Even that last second tackle/attempt from Butcher ?could have been at least a yellow and hurt DM as he was hobbling celebrating .
Lets face it he got the living sh*t kicked out of him not just that game but every game he played so the fact his body was broken is no shock.
The pain probably started him down the path of drugs IMO and like Juzzie it was only a matter of time before he passed awaw.Sad end another miserable moment from 2020 RIP
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024