Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR at Women's World Cup 17:54 - Jun 23 with 3231 viewsbosh67

Accurate mainly but causing total catastrophe. Has to be miles sharper in the Prem next season.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

VAR at Women's World Cup on 15:38 - Jun 24 with 924 viewsJamesB1979

Completely agree with views that Cameroon players were a disgrace. I would say 3 red cards (elbow to face, showing ref and jumping on ankle) and even a 4th with the spitting. Then you add in the not accepting decisions and threatening to walk off. All in all a disgrace. But I do think young Phil’s reaction has been to take focus off a pretty awful performance. That left side for England is shocking, they can’t even pass it 10 feet accurately. Goalie looks dodgy on back pass too.
VAR at Women's World Cup on 15:40 - Jun 24 with 916 viewsjonno

VAR at Women's World Cup on 10:06 - Jun 24 by Antti_Heinola

Agree Clive. In cricket you have the 'umpire's decision', which works well. And I'd take more from cricket too. VAR should only be used in exceptional circumstances generally - ball crossed line, offside. Something that can be proved 100%, no human error. Anything beyond that, teams have one Review each per game. If their review is correct, they keep it. If not, they lose it. But they must also say what the review is specifically for, not 'oh, we've conceded a late goal, was anything wrong with that in the previous 2 mins of play?'
Although even that would take ages. Basically, I'd stick to goalline technology. Everything else takes too long.

In football, that would be a big mistake in my view. Takes all the spontaneity out of scoring a goal and the ensuing celebrations. Managers will "tactically" review goals, a little like happens in cricket. It kind of works in cricket, which is a bit more of a stop/start game anyway although I still think it has taken away something from the sport. The decision should be taken away from the competing teams in my view, just a third referee (or umpire) to review where something looks clearly and obviously wrong. I did feel a little sorry for Cameroon to be honest - that free kick for the back pass was a little suspect, the player just stopped the ball really and the keeper picked it up. Then they had a decent goal chalked off for a very dubious VAR decision. No excuse for their behaviour though.
VAR at Women's World Cup on 16:07 - Jun 24 with 883 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR at Women's World Cup on 18:52 - Jun 23 by Sharpy36

VAR is not the problem, it`s how it is implemented.

It really isn't.

Its a review system, it will always take time and will always be at odds with ref's initial decision.

You can't correct and incorrectly raised flag, so always going to have this late flag malarkey as well.

I've said it before and will say again, its been used for two years now with same problems.
VAR at Women's World Cup on 16:08 - Jun 24 with 882 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR at Women's World Cup on 18:56 - Jun 23 by daveB

That is true but if the rules of VAR say you can view an incident as many times as you like you will get situations like today where you watch a penalty which no one appealed 15 times and in the end decide you don't know and give nothing.

These offside calls are a joke as well, that Cameroon goal today how is the back of her boot being a millimetre offside any kind of advantage

That's what you get with VAR - offside is offside - unless you want (yet another) law change to offside!
VAR at Women's World Cup on 16:09 - Jun 24 with 880 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR at Women's World Cup on 19:19 - Jun 23 by CLAREMAN1995

Not only were Cameroon shameful as you put it but also incredibly ignorant and disrespectful throughout the entire game .If we are being perfectly honest they should have finished with 8 players max if not less .They were a disgrace to their Country both on the pitch and their manager on the sidelines .
The Ref was way too lenient IMO and they took full advantage even pushing her over (TV Commentators claim it was ok)but it left a bad taste in many peoples mouths .
Fair play to England they did enough to win and held their composure despite the intimidation and dangerous late tackles .
They will have to tighten things up at the back though to beat Norway

Spot on. Although with Norway being super organised, I think the bigger problem will be scoring.
VAR at Women's World Cup on 16:53 - Jun 24 with 851 viewsdaveB

VAR at Women's World Cup on 15:40 - Jun 24 by jonno

In football, that would be a big mistake in my view. Takes all the spontaneity out of scoring a goal and the ensuing celebrations. Managers will "tactically" review goals, a little like happens in cricket. It kind of works in cricket, which is a bit more of a stop/start game anyway although I still think it has taken away something from the sport. The decision should be taken away from the competing teams in my view, just a third referee (or umpire) to review where something looks clearly and obviously wrong. I did feel a little sorry for Cameroon to be honest - that free kick for the back pass was a little suspect, the player just stopped the ball really and the keeper picked it up. Then they had a decent goal chalked off for a very dubious VAR decision. No excuse for their behaviour though.

if you only get one review though managers would have to be careful and couldn't just review every goal
VAR at Women's World Cup on 17:02 - Jun 24 with 836 viewsjonno

VAR at Women's World Cup on 16:53 - Jun 24 by daveB

if you only get one review though managers would have to be careful and couldn't just review every goal

Agreed, but they will still use that review tactically when it suits them, and not for the intention of bringing the review system in. They only have one review in the cricket world cup, but teams have been using them tactically (in the hope the decision might be overturned as opposed to genuinely thinking it is an incorrect decision). That's why I would prefer the decision on reviewing to be made by an impartial third referee/umpire.
VAR at Women's World Cup on 15:30 - Jun 25 with 706 viewsPinnerPaul

Another example yesterday.

USA 2nd pen - ref gives it. VAR then spends an age deciding if ref should look at it, VAR decides she should, she then spends another age looking at it and decides she was right in the first place.

Like others have said, it would be OK (just about) if used to correct/highlight OBVIOUS errors. This was a classic 'prob a pen, but could argue it wasn't' situation, so not OBVIOUS either way, so surely go with ref (who was 3 metres away btw) original decision.

Another one, late in the other game, Sweden celebrating making the last 8 while VAR looks at a 'possible' handball - thankfully VAR didn't decide to refer that one to the ref, who would have had to push past half of a celebrating Swedish nation to reach the monitor - utterly bonkers!
Login to get fewer ads

VAR at Women's World Cup on 19:20 - Jun 25 with 654 viewsdaveB

VAR at Women's World Cup on 17:02 - Jun 24 by jonno

Agreed, but they will still use that review tactically when it suits them, and not for the intention of bringing the review system in. They only have one review in the cricket world cup, but teams have been using them tactically (in the hope the decision might be overturned as opposed to genuinely thinking it is an incorrect decision). That's why I would prefer the decision on reviewing to be made by an impartial third referee/umpire.

Thats what they are doing in the prem with a 3rd ref looking at it but for me that won't work
VAR at Women's World Cup on 20:00 - Jun 25 with 631 viewsDorse

'We're getting VAR confirmation now... Yes, we were right, the referee IS a w anker...'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

VAR at Women's World Cup on 07:55 - Jun 27 with 541 viewsTheChef

VAR at Women's World Cup on 15:30 - Jun 25 by PinnerPaul

Another example yesterday.

USA 2nd pen - ref gives it. VAR then spends an age deciding if ref should look at it, VAR decides she should, she then spends another age looking at it and decides she was right in the first place.

Like others have said, it would be OK (just about) if used to correct/highlight OBVIOUS errors. This was a classic 'prob a pen, but could argue it wasn't' situation, so not OBVIOUS either way, so surely go with ref (who was 3 metres away btw) original decision.

Another one, late in the other game, Sweden celebrating making the last 8 while VAR looks at a 'possible' handball - thankfully VAR didn't decide to refer that one to the ref, who would have had to push past half of a celebrating Swedish nation to reach the monitor - utterly bonkers!

So yes it should follow the example of cricket and go with referee's call if the margin of error is slim, otherwise use VAR to overturn really glaring errors.

But I still say fck it and just use goal line technology. For me VAR is spoiling football as a spectator sport.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024