Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. 15:56 - Jun 24 with 2370 viewsMick_S

Maybe this happens every year and I've just missed it, but this June, there seem to be lots and lots of dead bees on the pavements - there just seem to be far too many.

Whats's going on?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 16:06 - Jun 24 with 2319 viewskingo

They are in crisis over Warburton and Barbet. There will be loads more if we sign Scott Hogan.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 16:33 - Jun 24 with 2266 viewsbob566

there's a real lack of insects full stop. I believe certain common bird species numbers across Europe have declined by half.

Have you also noticed the lack of bugs on your windscreen after a country drive?

As for the bees dead I've seen a lot of that over here in Ireland too. Strange. Barely seen a wasp this year either.
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 16:50 - Jun 24 with 2226 viewsDannyPaddox

The Pixie People are using Bees as Astal Uber-Drivers and it's all going to end in tears.
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 17:00 - Jun 24 with 2211 viewscolinallcars

There's a time, usually early July whenthere are suddenly millions of flying ants everywhere. They last a few days then vanish. Anyone else noticed them ?
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 17:04 - Jun 24 with 2200 viewsbob566

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 17:00 - Jun 24 by colinallcars

There's a time, usually early July whenthere are suddenly millions of flying ants everywhere. They last a few days then vanish. Anyone else noticed them ?

we've got ants. No problems with them.
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 17:17 - Jun 24 with 2174 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 17:00 - Jun 24 by colinallcars

It’s known officially as flying ant day.

Yes I noticed the bees on the pavement thing too. Not sure what’s going on.

*Edit - Could be weedkiller spray.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 17:23]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 17:34 - Jun 24 with 2129 viewsBoston

Bees are in decline all across the western world. It’s for a number of reasons, but safe to say the human race isn’t helping them much
I’ll never forget the day, about forty years ago, when I was working on Ledway Drive up the top of Preston Rd. On staging at the front of a house when this humming noise had me look around and what I can only describe as the ‘perfect swarm’(sorta comet shaped ) went right by me, so bloody close, I was in awe ( that’s English for shit myself).

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:13 - Jun 24 with 2066 viewsDannyPaddox

Are you sure those bees are dead? I've seen something about bees being knackered, literally flat out on their backs, restin' (as Michael Palin's Pet Shop owner would say). They can be revived with the aid of a thimble of sugary water.

Update:
Put the thimble away. Apparently it's not such a good idea after all ...

https://www.gardenmyths.com/dont-feed-sugar-water-to-exhausted-bees/
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 18:24]
Login to get fewer ads

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:24 - Jun 24 with 2027 viewsBoston

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:13 - Jun 24 by DannyPaddox

Are you sure those bees are dead? I've seen something about bees being knackered, literally flat out on their backs, restin' (as Michael Palin's Pet Shop owner would say). They can be revived with the aid of a thimble of sugary water.

Update:
Put the thimble away. Apparently it's not such a good idea after all ...

https://www.gardenmyths.com/dont-feed-sugar-water-to-exhausted-bees/
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 18:24]

The parrot is dead mate.

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:27 - Jun 24 with 2022 viewsDannyPaddox

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:24 - Jun 24 by Boston

The parrot is dead mate.

He has ceased to bee.
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:47 - Jun 24 with 1977 viewsLblock

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:27 - Jun 24 by DannyPaddox

He has ceased to bee.

Bee gone

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:51 - Jun 24 with 1970 viewsted_hendrix

Bees, just been out to check and they are still collecting pollen from my three very large hanging baskets, by coincidence I was watching a bee last night inside the flower of one of me courgettes, its strange how they hover above the flower before entering? Admit though that there are a few that are docile and can be seen stood almost motionless on the footpath but by and large they are very active in my garden.
Wasps, got no problem with wasps as at this time of year they will go round relentlessly eating bloody aphids or such like from me vegetable plants.
I got bird and ladybird boxes in the garden and a hedgehog nest hidden in the corner of the garden that get's used every year.

I've also got herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically past me back door every morning.

All together now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"A fiddle de dum, a fiddle de dee
Eric, the half a bee
Hoh hoh hoh, tee hee hee
Eric, the half a bee

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 19:14 - Jun 24 with 1931 viewsCamberleyR

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 22:39 - Jun 24 with 1795 viewsBoston

Bee my baby...

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 23:14 - Jun 24 with 1766 viewsDannyPaddox

Bees having trouble staying alive ...

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 00:26 - Jun 25 with 1722 viewsMiss_Terraces

More people, less bees and insects. This is going to get far worse.
We are twice as densely populated as Germany and France. We will keep allowing 300k people, into our country every year

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 00:48 - Jun 25 with 1703 viewsDannyPaddox

Seriously if the British bee population is falling and pollination and honey production are in decline
should we let more foreign worker bees in? Or will they just send the honey back to their own countries?
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 03:14 - Jun 25 with 1668 viewstimcocking

Bees are dying all over the world. If they go, we'll go with them most likely.
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 08:06 - Jun 25 with 1600 viewsMiss_Terraces

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 00:48 - Jun 25 by DannyPaddox

Seriously if the British bee population is falling and pollination and honey production are in decline
should we let more foreign worker bees in? Or will they just send the honey back to their own countries?

Bring more bees in, that sounds like a good idea. Then we have to look after them because without them, we will die out.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 09:05 - Jun 25 with 1567 viewsDannyPaddox

I'm hearing a lot that if the bees die out then the human race will die out. Surely someone has watched what they do in detail - collecting pollen, making honey etc. Couldn't we employ people to do the same with a syringe, or a pipette, or something. Even on a zero-hours contract basis (so as as to compete in the global market-place) I can think of worse jobs. A bit obvious but these human 'worker bees' could wear UPS-style delivery uniforms but in black and yellow.
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 09:22 - Jun 25 with 1537 viewsRangersDave

Foreign bees over here, taking our fecking jobs, being a drain on services and school places.

I'm off to join UKIBP, they will sort it out!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 14:49 - Jun 25 with 1457 viewsEsox_Lucius

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 00:26 - Jun 25 by Miss_Terraces

More people, less bees and insects. This is going to get far worse.
We are twice as densely populated as Germany and France. We will keep allowing 300k people, into our country every year

How many leave each year?

The grass is always greener.

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 15:21 - Jun 25 with 1418 viewsizlingtonhoop

I came across a swarm of bees on the traffic island top of Roseberry Avenue/St John's Street on Sunday.

Looked a bit like this:

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:14 - Jun 25 with 1372 viewsw7r

Gives you a good idea of the cause. Of course it’s a lucrative business for the big chemical companies. There’s been a huge amount of campaigning to get these poisons banned.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/27/eu-agrees-total-ban-on-bee-h
Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 19:01 - Jun 25 with 1341 viewsR_from_afar

Bees - Real ones, not that lot. on 18:14 - Jun 25 by w7r

Gives you a good idea of the cause. Of course it’s a lucrative business for the big chemical companies. There’s been a huge amount of campaigning to get these poisons banned.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/27/eu-agrees-total-ban-on-bee-h

It's not just the bees, it's other insects too. Around 40% of all insects are at risk, yet 75% of our food is insect pollinated. There is a chance insects could be extinct within a hundred years.

Some of the causes have been mentioned here (pesticides especially neonicotinoids) but other issues include:
- Global warming: Insects and the plants they rely on are getting our of sync as the seasons move around
- The varroa mite
- Asian hornets, which destroy bee colonies
- A lack of wildflowers (many cultivated flowers look nice but are of no value to pollinators) and insufficient diversity of wildflowers (bees do better when they have a variety of flowers to visit).

You can help them if you stop using pesticides and grow some native British wildflowers, or just cut your lawn less and stop putting chemicals on it; eventually, some wildflowers will just appear because the average lawn has around 20 species of flower in it, it's just that the more vigorous grasses in lawns tend to suppress them. What a great excuse for being a lazy gardener!

I hope we don't get into the state parts of China are in: There, farmers are having to get workers to hand pollinate fruit trees because bees have been wiped out locally.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024