Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SHL Tests 19:35 - Jun 24 with 1558 viewsenfieldargh

My son has had to do some SHL tests for a prospective new job.

Are they designed to totally bamboozle you or just ensure you are not an orangutan

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

SHL Tests on 19:57 - Jun 24 with 1511 viewsWatford_Ranger

Been a few years but I was a bit of a pro at these after getting pretty far in numerous grad roles before actually getting one.

It depends what subjects he’s tested on and the company. They can flex the difficulty or time allowed to make it harder.

Only advice I’d give is not to spend too long on any one question and leave it (or guess if there’s no negative marking) and move on.
SHL Tests on 04:31 - Jun 25 with 1255 viewstimcocking

What are SHL tests? Some form of IQ tests? Seems a long overdue, very good idea really. I'd have gone from poor to first (1st out of 250 when they tested my year at school ahem).

The present education system, i.e. assignments and exams, very much favours students who are diligent, committed and disciplined, able to do lots of boring work and studying, not high iq. Hence girls do so much better than boys. It doesn't adequately test a candidate's intellect or initiative, the sort of traits which are far more valuable in certain positions than discipline. Lots of very talented, clever people don't get good grades because they can't be arsed with boring revision when they are 18 when they should be out playing football and chasing girls. Getting straight As usually means the person in question is a very, very dull human being, it doesn't necessarily mean they are especially bright or talented, yet our current system ignores this fundamental gaping flaw.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2019 4:38]
SHL Tests on 08:12 - Jun 25 with 1134 viewsDorse

The Swedish Hockey League has very stringent entry requirements.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

SHL Tests on 09:24 - Jun 25 with 1085 viewsJAPRANGERS

SHL Tests on 04:31 - Jun 25 by timcocking

What are SHL tests? Some form of IQ tests? Seems a long overdue, very good idea really. I'd have gone from poor to first (1st out of 250 when they tested my year at school ahem).

The present education system, i.e. assignments and exams, very much favours students who are diligent, committed and disciplined, able to do lots of boring work and studying, not high iq. Hence girls do so much better than boys. It doesn't adequately test a candidate's intellect or initiative, the sort of traits which are far more valuable in certain positions than discipline. Lots of very talented, clever people don't get good grades because they can't be arsed with boring revision when they are 18 when they should be out playing football and chasing girls. Getting straight As usually means the person in question is a very, very dull human being, it doesn't necessarily mean they are especially bright or talented, yet our current system ignores this fundamental gaping flaw.

only 3 things important in this life init??

MONEY

SEX

QPR
SHL Tests on 10:18 - Jun 25 with 1040 viewsrobith

SHL Tests on 04:31 - Jun 25 by timcocking

This is a strange post because you accurately point out that examinations don't really test the full gamut of human capacity - but then advocate IQ/SHL testing which has the exact same failings and biases?

Really the solution is to better cater the education system to differing education requirements and outcomes for jobs that aren't banking law or medicine - compare and contrast how seriously Germany takes apprenticeship schemes with how youngsters in the UK often feel just discarded to get by in the building trades
SHL Tests on 13:58 - Jun 25 with 954 viewsYorkRanger

Enfield

SHL is Saville and Holdsworth, who are probably recognized as the leading providers of this type of "testing" and have been in the market many years.

There are a range of tests that they provide but the most commonly used (in my experience) are verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and personality profiling.

In the case of verbal and numeric reasoning companies usually use these as a tool to benchmark candidates against each other and theoretically it creates a level playing field rather than relying on other qualifications that candidates may have. It also enables a company to benchmark individuals against the database held by SHL (of people who have completed the tests) to assess results of an individual against a much broader population (and usually then place them in quartiles of ability level e.g. top 25%, bottom 25% etc).

In terms of personality profiling this is normally used to identify personality traits and the preferences of an individual in order to identify areas for questioning in an interview, rather than to screen individuals out of the application process. There is a code of conduct around how these tests are used and your son should be eligible for feedback irrespective of whether he is successful or not.

I hope this helps. I hope he gets the job
SHL Tests on 14:16 - Jun 25 with 929 viewslondonscottish

SHL Tests on 13:58 - Jun 25 by YorkRanger

Enfield

SHL is Saville and Holdsworth, who are probably recognized as the leading providers of this type of "testing" and have been in the market many years.

There are a range of tests that they provide but the most commonly used (in my experience) are verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and personality profiling.

In the case of verbal and numeric reasoning companies usually use these as a tool to benchmark candidates against each other and theoretically it creates a level playing field rather than relying on other qualifications that candidates may have. It also enables a company to benchmark individuals against the database held by SHL (of people who have completed the tests) to assess results of an individual against a much broader population (and usually then place them in quartiles of ability level e.g. top 25%, bottom 25% etc).

In terms of personality profiling this is normally used to identify personality traits and the preferences of an individual in order to identify areas for questioning in an interview, rather than to screen individuals out of the application process. There is a code of conduct around how these tests are used and your son should be eligible for feedback irrespective of whether he is successful or not.

I hope this helps. I hope he gets the job

I'm being asked to do some CCAT tests for a job I'm going for. There are three categories in the timed test (1) Verbal (2) Spatial and (3) Numerical then (4) a non-timed personality test.

For the job I'm going for I have to answer 50 random questions split across the first 3 categories in 15 minutes (!)

I find the verbal ones quite easy, the spatial ones harder and the numericall ones harder still.

What they've recommended I do is practice and they send me a link to some samples. No idea if these are like SHL ones but if not I'm sure you could find some.

https://www.psychometricinstitute.com.au/Free-Aptitude-Tests.asp

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024