Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A genuine Question 23:31 - Jul 2 with 5198 viewsozexile

I'd really like your opinion's on the English Psyche after yet another semi final loss today in the football. Why can't our sports teams, with all the ability in the world, quite finish the Job? I know from my own experience growing up playing football that if we were the better team in a game, our parents would tell us to give the other team a chance etc. I also got hammered by my Dad after a game because I kept flicking the ball over the defenders heads and running round them. I was told that "everyone hates show offs".
When I moved to Oz many years ago I was amazed at the difference in mindset regarding sport, especially kids sport. I remember when we won the Rugby World cup in 2003 that team was so focused and almost Unengland like. Can we repeat that in the near future?
A genuine Question on 12:36 - Jul 3 with 1358 viewsSir_Chops

Quote from the US coach today in response to her players 'disrespectful' behaviour:

“We are here for one thing: that’s it. Not lawsuits, not silly trumped up things, not external noise. We are here for one thing: to win and the trophy. Everything we talk about and everything we focus on is about that."

They're not concerned about respecting or disrespecting anyone. Their in their own bubble, and their focus is to do the very best they can and bring a trophy home. And clearly they're enjoying doing it. Too bad if that ruffles a few feathers.

That's got to be what winning in elite sport is about, surely?
A genuine Question on 12:37 - Jul 3 with 1355 viewsDavieQPR

You still get 'Progressive' Schools that do non competitive games.
A genuine Question on 12:52 - Jul 3 with 1318 viewsrobith

Bookmarking this thread for when we lose a game to a penalty someone dives for next season
A genuine Question on 12:56 - Jul 3 with 1310 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 12:52 - Jul 3 by robith

Bookmarking this thread for when we lose a game to a penalty someone dives for next season

That’s different your talking about cheating , the USA didn’t cheat last night, they just had a bigger Will to win than us whilst we moan about a tea cup celebration

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

A genuine Question on 13:01 - Jul 3 with 1303 viewsozexile

A genuine Question on 12:35 - Jul 3 by robith

a c unt is a c unt

I don't see them or any sportsperson as that for celebrating a victory. They've put in the hours, the dedication, the training, the sacrifices. Good luck to them.
A genuine Question on 13:20 - Jul 3 with 1282 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A genuine Question on 12:11 - Jul 3 by paulparker

So what it shows how they want to win, it’s about time this country stopped being offended by everything and maybe did the same instead of this tag of plucky underdogs

Sorry to go there PP but I remember you losing your rag over sleeve tattoos and Diane Abbott.
A genuine Question on 13:22 - Jul 3 with 1277 viewsTGRRRSSS

A genuine Question on 12:56 - Jul 3 by paulparker

That’s different your talking about cheating , the USA didn’t cheat last night, they just had a bigger Will to win than us whilst we moan about a tea cup celebration

Even then though many other countries and cultures don't see it as cheating they see it as trying to gain an advantage in any way they can to win.

South America for example generally takes this mentality.
A genuine Question on 13:39 - Jul 3 with 1258 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 13:22 - Jul 3 by TGRRRSSS

Even then though many other countries and cultures don't see it as cheating they see it as trying to gain an advantage in any way they can to win.

South America for example generally takes this mentality.

What by over celebrating a goal ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

A genuine Question on 13:46 - Jul 3 with 1248 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 13:20 - Jul 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sorry to go there PP but I remember you losing your rag over sleeve tattoos and Diane Abbott.

That’s different Abbott is a racist who can’t add up
We are all getting outraged over USA being ruthless over Thailand and making a tea cup gesture
I don’t see how they have done anything wrong other than be a professional ruthless team who want to win a World Cup perhaps if we wouldn’t of bottled the penalty ( which by the way you could see a mile off ) we could of all done a fat man burger celebration
If anything it’s the USA who should have the hump after that leg breaking tackle near the end of the game

A genuine Question on 14:28 - Jul 3 with 1231 viewsMick_S

Doctors or dentists, b ollocks to Time Magazine.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

A genuine Question on 15:39 - Jul 3 with 1211 viewsPinnerPaul

A genuine Question on 00:12 - Jul 3 by LythamR

it could possibly be that we are not quite the best in the world. I think it was ability rather than a winning mentality that got the USA into the final

Yup - they have players in that team that no one else is anywhere near and I'm not talking about the media darlings Rapino and Morgan either - good as they are.

They have 4 or 5 others who are literally a class above anyone else in the world.

Another point to note, not sure if its relevant, but that whole team play exclusively in the US.
A genuine Question on 15:40 - Jul 3 with 1210 viewsPinnerPaul

A genuine Question on 04:16 - Jul 3 by SydneyRs

The US are a bit better at the moment, that's all. That's why they are ranked number 1. Nothing to do with mentality. A VAR disallowed goal away from being a very different outcome.

Not so sure about.

Would have still fancied USA, especially if it went to pens!
A genuine Question on 15:42 - Jul 3 with 1207 viewsPinnerPaul

A genuine Question on 12:17 - Jul 3 by robith

They want to win by goading hammering players who barley qualify as amateur?

You can have the will to win and still posses basic sportsmanship.

Played cricket in my park league last night. Oppo player who previously got banned for hitting one of his team mates kept screaming at our umpire (batting team umpires itself), creating a foul atmosphere that legit made me want to jack in playing. But as long as he had the will to win right?

Offended? Such a lame term used people who don't understand how critique works

How is celebrating, 'goading'? Not the same at all.
A genuine Question on 15:45 - Jul 3 with 1200 viewsrobith

A genuine Question on 12:56 - Jul 3 by paulparker

Why are you so offended by diving pp? They're just doing what they can to win!
A genuine Question on 15:48 - Jul 3 with 1195 viewsrobith

A genuine Question on 15:42 - Jul 3 by PinnerPaul

How is celebrating, 'goading'? Not the same at all.

My last say on the matter - if we by some miracle were playing Barcelona, and at 8-0 Messi had scored his fifth goal and ran the length of the pitch to do a choreographed dance moves people on here would be baying for blood
A genuine Question on 15:52 - Jul 3 with 1183 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 15:45 - Jul 3 by robith

Why are you so offended by diving pp? They're just doing what they can to win!

Who was diving ? When have I said I was offended by it, the USA scored two decent goals and passed the ball better than we did
Or are you forgetting that dodgy penalty we got because our striker took an air shot and landed on her arse that was cheating a-bit like the leg breaking challenge at the end
I think people are getting their knickers in a twist because it’s the USA so what if they didn’t take it easy against Thailand, why should they if Thailand ane not good enough they shouldn’t be there
And so what if they celebrated the goal with a sip of tea , we fluffed our chances because we didn’t have the bottle it’s about time we got out of this hard done by losers mentality ,

A genuine Question on 15:56 - Jul 3 with 1173 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 15:48 - Jul 3 by robith

My last say on the matter - if we by some miracle were playing Barcelona, and at 8-0 Messi had scored his fifth goal and ran the length of the pitch to do a choreographed dance moves people on here would be baying for blood

The only baying for blood would be for the managers head a bit like our mauling at WBA last season or should they have declared on 4 ?

A genuine Question on 16:03 - Jul 3 with 1160 viewsrobith

A genuine Question on 15:56 - Jul 3 by paulparker

The only baying for blood would be for the managers head a bit like our mauling at WBA last season or should they have declared on 4 ?

They shouldn't have stopped, but they also didn't run over and do the worm in front of the dugouts
A genuine Question on 17:04 - Jul 3 with 1139 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 16:03 - Jul 3 by robith

They shouldn't have stopped, but they also didn't run over and do the worm in front of the dugouts

So what if they did nor did the Americans they scored the goals they earned the right to celebrate how they wanted , im pretty sure if the Cameroon woman’s team blitzed Thailand and then all did the roger milla wiggle we would all be going how they bring colour and pizazz to the tournament
It’s up to the other teams to beat the states and if they do then give it to them back
I recall clive Allen scoring against palace on the fa cup qtr finals he gave them loads of stick with his celebration everyone does it
As I keep saying we bottled it and like with previous England sides we always try and make excuses or hide behind the officials , this time it’s the nasty tea cup celebration

A genuine Question on 17:31 - Jul 3 with 1114 viewsB_Wad

Going back to the original question, it seems to me that England losing in the semis is due to a combination of things. England probably would win the WWC if not for the USA, so that says a lot about the team. It seems to me that the USA is currently better because the girls in the States have had a head start so to speak. As is known, Coach Ellis said she probably wouldn't be a coach had she remained in the UK. The USA is where girls and women had opportunity to play football and coach. A culture and tradition has been built over the decades in the USWNT and the rest of the world is now catching up. England, the Netherlands, Spain and Italy all seem like nations that are continually getting more competitive.

Part of it is also sort of like British professional cycling, a sport the UK shines in because it is technologically pushing the boundaries. Using advanced methods in physiology training has helped the USWNT be stronger and fitter than the other teams and that is a huge advantage. The physio for the USWNT is another English ex-pat and I have heard the English team recognizes this and is working on developing this part of the program.

However, there is also a mentality that comes with the culture. England doesn't have to imitate the US but it has been interesting to read all the complaints about American "arrogance". Muhammad Ali was one of the pioneers in sports psychology by predicting the rounds he would knock out his opponents. It was seen as blasphemous at the time, but sports psychologists have said that "trash talk" can provide a psychological advantage. It is very common in US sports. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Being older, I had never heard the phrase; "that's the tea" (t=truth). Apparently that is what Morgan was referencing in her goal celebration, although the raised pinkie was also a comeback at Neville calling out American etiquette for checking out the team hotel and for people questioning American goal scoring etiquette throughout the tournament, along with Trump calling out Rapinoe. I thought it was a clever, multi-entendre celebration and fun, although I'd be displeased if rooting for the English team. I at first thought it looked like she was smoking a joint and hope she breaks it out if she happens to score against the Netherlands in the final.
A genuine Question on 17:42 - Jul 3 with 1094 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Another flaw in the US have a greater will to win compared to England argument, is that the person paid to do the willing (Ellis) is English...
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 17:49]
A genuine Question on 17:44 - Jul 3 with 1091 viewstheQPRking

A genuine Question on 15:39 - Jul 3 by PinnerPaul

Yup - they have players in that team that no one else is anywhere near and I'm not talking about the media darlings Rapino and Morgan either - good as they are.

They have 4 or 5 others who are literally a class above anyone else in the world.

Another point to note, not sure if its relevant, but that whole team play exclusively in the US.

Completely agree.

There were about 4 or 5 passengers in Englands team last night, the fitness level of the American team was a level above apart from Bronze (who looked class once again). By being fitter the Americans maintained a higher standard with the ball and a high press without it. England got tired, and became incredibly wasteful in possession and lost their heads and got frustrated in the end. Also the shockingly poor penalty would have knocked the wind out of them a bit too.

Still a strong showing and this will do wonders for the womens game in England, I think you'll see England win a world cup within 12 years, as long as the FA supports the uptake in participation that will come from this good tourney.

On the mental aspects of the game..

As a FA level 2 coach, I do think we have a different mentality towards winning than some other nations, and we don't do enough in this country to coach the mental aspects of the game, whether thats winning, losing, gamesmanship or game management.

The Olympics comparison is difficult for me as football is a team game and a lot of those medals are won as individuals. A talented, self motivated and determined individual will rise to the top, with a team, you have to have the majority (if not all) of the collective all pulling in the same direction with a high level of talent and determination to succeed.
A genuine Question on 18:23 - Jul 3 with 1075 viewsPinnerPaul

A genuine Question on 15:48 - Jul 3 by robith

Not if he did it in front of Barca fans, I wouldn't for one.

Don't think USA did it in front of Thai fans, if there were any.

To reverse your question - if QPR were ever again to win by a large margin (stop laughing at the back!), not sure many on here would be concerned about the celebration for the 9th or whatever goal.

Its a sad day when you can't even celebrate now - VAR is doing its best to stop it and now the fans want to join them!
A genuine Question on 19:03 - Jul 3 with 1061 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A genuine Question on 09:53 - Jul 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sorry not buying this negativity at all.

The Olympics is usually considered the ultimate arbiter of sporting success

Good point but that is GB and Olympic sports. The OP was specifically questioning the English psyche, with an emphasis on football.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 19:12]
A genuine Question (n/t) on 19:47 - Jul 3 with 1040 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A genuine Question on 19:03 - Jul 3 by Benny_the_Ball

Good point but that is GB and Olympic sports. The OP was specifically questioning the English psyche, with an emphasis on football.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 19:12]

[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 19:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024