Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir Les piece on talk sport 17:47 - Jul 3 with 7330 viewsenfieldargh

https://talksport.com/football/efl/567429/les-ferdinand-exclusive-qpr-role-tough

Hope not a spackman

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 17:59 - Jul 3 with 4187 viewsflynnbo

People will always have their entrenched views whatever he tries to do. I like what he's trying to do but still can't see the love for Sherwood, I'm afraid despite what he says. Unfortunately, the obnoxious spectre of racism still looms large with some people, in my opinion.
N. Spackman
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 18:02]
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 18:45 - Jul 3 with 4068 viewsloftboy

So we got money for big Matt, anyone remember what we paid for him as Les said we have recouped 60%

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 18:48 - Jul 3 with 4044 viewsstainrods_elbow

Fascinating, fiery, and I found quite angry piece. He sounds as equivocal about his experience as DoF/evaluation of his own performance as I feel about him these days. Great player and legendary R, of course, but, especially if he hates the industry as much as he says, one can only wonder about the depth of his desire to stay around for the long(er) haul, leaving aside the persisting questions of his directorial competence and involvement.

Just feeling 'sorry' for Tony, and his foolish, damaging and irresponsible chairmanship which got us into the financial hole we're in now, really doesn't cut it with me. After all the failures, bad faith and broken pledges of the last couple of managerial dis/appointments, coupled with selling Smithies on the cheap, reportedly losing 60% of Smith's value in foisting him off onto Millwall, and the apparent evasiveness regarding the Freeman sale, contrary to one or two other credulous posters, I don't see why any of us should trust Hoos, LF or anyone else at the club when it comes to the financial or recruitment side. (Unlike some others, though, I generally try to point to arguments and reasons.) They really have a ton of trust and good faith to earn back for me, but football's a murky business at best, as we know.

I also always tend to think of the affirmation of how much one cares is an easy and tried rhetorical strategy, true or not. Even Paladini, weepingly, did that circa Faurlingate. For me, it's a bit like Tony Blair telling the country Iraq may have been ruined, but, believe me, I wrestled with my conscience and would never do anything to hurt Britain. I'd give my right hand to play for QPR, like many of us - but it hardly means that I deserve a place in the first team!

He sounds quite bitter about not landing Timmy and to have some kind of blind spot re many fans' warranted dislike/distrust of that overrated, under-achieving and entitled chancer, and almost evangelical about his dream team of Ramsey, Sherwood and, er, himself apparently performing as they did in perfect harmony at Spuds. But how can anyone know how a manager will operate a priori, especially at a basket case club like ours? Either way, it sounds to me like was overruled there, and he's still smarting.

Just in passing, how many Rangers fans, out of interest, used a phrase like the 'black mafia' to describe 2/3 of that threesome? It's playing the race card for me, I'm sorry to say, to engage in a bit of sleight of hand re the legitimate questions that can be raised about his performance.

To me, and this worries me, he mostly sounds like another version of Hoos, only a bit more angry, hurt and miserable - pretty much all he talks about is getting the wage bill down, and how everyone's for sale, so let's not pretend otherwise. And we don't all have 'short memories', Les - mine go back 40+ years, actually, for better or worse! Not exactly fanning the fire of footballing passion, is it? (I know, I know, it's where we're at, needs must, I'm living in a bubble, blah blah blah - a bit like how anyone even questioning the politics of austerity is automatically dangerous, delusional or both.) What of any manager's need to build a nucleus at least of a team, let alone fans' needs to have players they can make real relationships to over a period of time? Without any of that, business has so eclipsed sport as to make one seriously question, I'd suggest, what the point is. I do think Warburton needs to succeed for Hoos and Les to keep their jobs and certainly their credibility now, but then I thought that about Ollie and definitely McClaren. The trouble is, I don't get the impression there is anyone engaging in performance reviews with either of them, and so the roundabout keeps turning.

On a happier note, I actually feel decently positive about our new gaffer - I love his connection with Dave Sexton's QPR, his interviews, and the club's bustling and purposeful initial business this close season (on the incoming side at least) - even if it looks like we are definitely going to need two incoming match-ready, gritty and talented midfielders and two goalscoring forwards at a minimum, if Luongo, Smith (who, despite his limitations, was a definite 'keeper' for me, underlined by his great smash on the final day of the season) and Luke are all pushed out of the picture. As it stands, we probably have half a team/squad at best, so I'm scanning the news feeds with appetite and apprehension. But, perhaps perversely in the light of much of the above, less resignedly and disaffectedly than much of last year. I guess it's going to be interesting if nothing else.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 19:16 - Jul 3 with 3925 viewscaliforniahoop

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 18:48 - Jul 3 by stainrods_elbow

Fascinating, fiery, and I found quite angry piece. He sounds as equivocal about his experience as DoF/evaluation of his own performance as I feel about him these days. Great player and legendary R, of course, but, especially if he hates the industry as much as he says, one can only wonder about the depth of his desire to stay around for the long(er) haul, leaving aside the persisting questions of his directorial competence and involvement.

Just feeling 'sorry' for Tony, and his foolish, damaging and irresponsible chairmanship which got us into the financial hole we're in now, really doesn't cut it with me. After all the failures, bad faith and broken pledges of the last couple of managerial dis/appointments, coupled with selling Smithies on the cheap, reportedly losing 60% of Smith's value in foisting him off onto Millwall, and the apparent evasiveness regarding the Freeman sale, contrary to one or two other credulous posters, I don't see why any of us should trust Hoos, LF or anyone else at the club when it comes to the financial or recruitment side. (Unlike some others, though, I generally try to point to arguments and reasons.) They really have a ton of trust and good faith to earn back for me, but football's a murky business at best, as we know.

I also always tend to think of the affirmation of how much one cares is an easy and tried rhetorical strategy, true or not. Even Paladini, weepingly, did that circa Faurlingate. For me, it's a bit like Tony Blair telling the country Iraq may have been ruined, but, believe me, I wrestled with my conscience and would never do anything to hurt Britain. I'd give my right hand to play for QPR, like many of us - but it hardly means that I deserve a place in the first team!

He sounds quite bitter about not landing Timmy and to have some kind of blind spot re many fans' warranted dislike/distrust of that overrated, under-achieving and entitled chancer, and almost evangelical about his dream team of Ramsey, Sherwood and, er, himself apparently performing as they did in perfect harmony at Spuds. But how can anyone know how a manager will operate a priori, especially at a basket case club like ours? Either way, it sounds to me like was overruled there, and he's still smarting.

Just in passing, how many Rangers fans, out of interest, used a phrase like the 'black mafia' to describe 2/3 of that threesome? It's playing the race card for me, I'm sorry to say, to engage in a bit of sleight of hand re the legitimate questions that can be raised about his performance.

To me, and this worries me, he mostly sounds like another version of Hoos, only a bit more angry, hurt and miserable - pretty much all he talks about is getting the wage bill down, and how everyone's for sale, so let's not pretend otherwise. And we don't all have 'short memories', Les - mine go back 40+ years, actually, for better or worse! Not exactly fanning the fire of footballing passion, is it? (I know, I know, it's where we're at, needs must, I'm living in a bubble, blah blah blah - a bit like how anyone even questioning the politics of austerity is automatically dangerous, delusional or both.) What of any manager's need to build a nucleus at least of a team, let alone fans' needs to have players they can make real relationships to over a period of time? Without any of that, business has so eclipsed sport as to make one seriously question, I'd suggest, what the point is. I do think Warburton needs to succeed for Hoos and Les to keep their jobs and certainly their credibility now, but then I thought that about Ollie and definitely McClaren. The trouble is, I don't get the impression there is anyone engaging in performance reviews with either of them, and so the roundabout keeps turning.

On a happier note, I actually feel decently positive about our new gaffer - I love his connection with Dave Sexton's QPR, his interviews, and the club's bustling and purposeful initial business this close season (on the incoming side at least) - even if it looks like we are definitely going to need two incoming match-ready, gritty and talented midfielders and two goalscoring forwards at a minimum, if Luongo, Smith (who, despite his limitations, was a definite 'keeper' for me, underlined by his great smash on the final day of the season) and Luke are all pushed out of the picture. As it stands, we probably have half a team/squad at best, so I'm scanning the news feeds with appetite and apprehension. But, perhaps perversely in the light of much of the above, less resignedly and disaffectedly than much of last year. I guess it's going to be interesting if nothing else.

The term “black mafia” wasn’t used as a term of endearment, you use the “race card” term to undermine a serious racial issue!! As he stated, with HR and his crew, the equivalent terminology was never used!!

I didn’t want Tim Sherwood either but, as DOF, that should have been his call, it now appears that he didn’t have much say in previous managerial appointments.

I wish him well moving forward, now TF has been taken out of the front line, I have faith in AB, LF, LH and NW.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 19:25 - Jul 3 with 3882 viewsBenny_the_Ball

One thing stood out for me amongst all the blood and thunder. The wage bill of £68 million has been reduced by 70% since he joined. If that's true then Les and Lee should be congratulated.

Interesting views on Olly too, who clearly needs to learn when to button it.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 19:31 - Jul 3 with 3861 viewscaliforniahoop

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 19:25 - Jul 3 by Benny_the_Ball

One thing stood out for me amongst all the blood and thunder. The wage bill of £68 million has been reduced by 70% since he joined. If that's true then Les and Lee should be congratulated.

100%
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 19:46 - Jul 3 with 3776 viewsHunterhoop

Spot on. An impressive and crucial achievement.

I think he’s done a top notch job is very difficult circumstances. Getting relegated and moving from a wage bill of £68m pa to just over £20m without getting relegated again is some achievement.

Long Live Les! Hope he stays here for years. He’s club legend and I believe he cares.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 20:20 - Jul 3 with 3673 viewspaulparker

Christ he is looking old I suppose this club does that to him , I don’t blame him for wanting to walk away, I bet it was mostly last season when we had that idiot Mclaren in charge
I hope he stays with us

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 20:45 - Jul 3 with 3572 viewsdaveB

The black mafia thing was bang on, he got plenty of that when Ramsey came in and with JFH and still gets it now, only have to read twitter and facebook to see it and a few on here were saying the same.

Comical to have a pop at him for selling Smith for 450k is 60% of his value, do people really think he is worth a few million? He explained in the interview that Smith wanted to go so they opted to take money now rather than lose him on a free
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 21:27 - Jul 3 with 3432 viewsrsonist

He's entitled to come out strongly given the reprehensibly abusive behaviour of some of the fanbase. It's a bstard of a job no doubt.

It's clear he has a chip on his shoulder about Sherwood though, and quite frankly he's plain wrong. It's a blind spot we're fortunate to have averted.

“So what about managers like Harry Redknapp, who have been around for donkeys years with the same people around him? Mark Hughes is another one. He came to this football club and brought in all his own staff Have they been accused of being the ‘old boys club’ giving out jobs to the lads to the same extent we have? I don’t think so."

Yes they have. You've read - or been briefed on - enough QPR social media to know damn well they have.

“As a threesome Chris, Tim and myself worked really well at Tottenham together, ask anyone at the club, and they produced a load of players during that time."

Arguable. And way to go criticising Ollie for not knowing when to zip it while backing Tactics Tim to the hilt.

“So why would you not want that for your club? Why would you throw all sorts of opposition against it? Why would you not try and replicate that elsewhere?"

Mate weren't you the one that just brought up Redknapp and Hughes?
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 21:48 - Jul 3 with 3371 viewsconnell10

I love Les as a footballer , as a DOF and as a human being. Meet him twice and he is a top bloke! Seem,s only at Rangers can a total legend like Sir Les get so much disrespect. I for one will always back him.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 22:00 - Jul 3 with 3336 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 20:20 - Jul 3 by paulparker

Christ he is looking old I suppose this club does that to him , I don’t blame him for wanting to walk away, I bet it was mostly last season when we had that idiot Mclaren in charge
I hope he stays with us

Yes, that was my initial reaction when I saw the photos. The job has aged him.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 22:30 - Jul 3 with 3209 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good interview. On the whole I found it to be reasoned and accurate.

I don't know how or why he puts up with the personal abuse he gets.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 22:38 - Jul 3 with 3182 viewsNorthLondonR

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 21:48 - Jul 3 by connell10

I love Les as a footballer , as a DOF and as a human being. Meet him twice and he is a top bloke! Seem,s only at Rangers can a total legend like Sir Les get so much disrespect. I for one will always back him.

He will only ever be a legend to me, a proper superhuman legend of complete dexterity that can never be tarnished.... I think now and you could have Ronaldo, Messi and whomever, but they can't ever be sir les... ever. You won't ever have that connection that I had believing in someone who always delivered time and again for our little club and reading that really crushed me... I am of pure west London stock, rangers through and through but had the misfortune of growing up in Suffolk... and les was a superhero. And remains so. I really feel his pain in that interview and f@kin what to punch someone. #announce (c*nt right off). Modern life is rubbish.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 23:15 - Jul 3 with 3067 viewsozexile

But what did they do to reduce it? Contracts expired naturally, players were paid off. We also didn't get any decent money in for our high earners. And we were never going to sign players on those sort of wages again. So of course the wage bill would be slashed.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 23:49 - Jul 3 with 3014 viewsmylot50years

Long may LF and LH be at our club there are better times ahead with them on board
And as for the advice to Holloway 100%
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 00:11 - Jul 4 with 2978 viewsJigsore

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 20:45 - Jul 3 by daveB

The black mafia thing was bang on, he got plenty of that when Ramsey came in and with JFH and still gets it now, only have to read twitter and facebook to see it and a few on here were saying the same.

Comical to have a pop at him for selling Smith for 450k is 60% of his value, do people really think he is worth a few million? He explained in the interview that Smith wanted to go so they opted to take money now rather than lose him on a free

Not to mention Smith is 30 now. You can't really expect to sell him for more considering his bitty role since he's been here. 450k is a lot for Millwall, we've done well there.

that's a very frank and interesting piece. I need to read it with fresh eyes tomorrow but Ferdinand's anger seems righteous to me. Compare it to some of Holloway's outbursts which were genuine but poorly controlled and liable to make something else catch fire. Les is no less cross but that's someone who has a handle on that rage that's built up

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 00:14 - Jul 4 with 2972 viewsQPR_Jim

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 23:15 - Jul 3 by ozexile

But what did they do to reduce it? Contracts expired naturally, players were paid off. We also didn't get any decent money in for our high earners. And we were never going to sign players on those sort of wages again. So of course the wage bill would be slashed.

They've done all sorts to reduce the wage bill, it's easy to say contracts just run out or were paid off but there's more to it than that. He inherited a squad with loads of players here earning much more than anyone else would pay them, so even if you could find a buyer they'd want to offset the cost of the wages by reducing the transfer fee. Then you have the likes of Caulker who just wasn't fit or willing yet they managed to get him off the books to Southampton and Liverpool while waiting for his contract to expire.

While all these players are leaving, not just the wasters but first team players too, they're replacing them at much reduced cost to keep us within FFP but also keep us in the division.

That's not something that just happened naturally, there must have been a lot of hard work to pull that off and they're still working hard to this day. So for me Sir Les deserves a lot of credit.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 02:42 - Jul 4 with 2888 viewsjtuck

I saw Les F as impassioned rather than angry. And agree with previous comments about feat in getting wage bill down to around 20 million. Simon Dorset in his recent article estimated income for 2019/20 season as around 19 million. That's finally cutting your cloth to meet your circumstances. Of course, Rangers still have a gaping hole of 11-million or so to close this season because of FFP penalty. 4.9 million for Luke Freeman is a start. And Warburton goes into this with his eyes open as someone more familiar with a financial spreadsheet than most of us.

LAranger

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 03:49 - Jul 4 with 2859 viewsozexile

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 00:14 - Jul 4 by QPR_Jim

They've done all sorts to reduce the wage bill, it's easy to say contracts just run out or were paid off but there's more to it than that. He inherited a squad with loads of players here earning much more than anyone else would pay them, so even if you could find a buyer they'd want to offset the cost of the wages by reducing the transfer fee. Then you have the likes of Caulker who just wasn't fit or willing yet they managed to get him off the books to Southampton and Liverpool while waiting for his contract to expire.

While all these players are leaving, not just the wasters but first team players too, they're replacing them at much reduced cost to keep us within FFP but also keep us in the division.

That's not something that just happened naturally, there must have been a lot of hard work to pull that off and they're still working hard to this day. So for me Sir Les deserves a lot of credit.

Caulkers contract was paid out to get him away from the place. And they're being replaced by players who we're yet to see if they're good enough for this division. So of course they're cheaper.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 06:58 - Jul 4 with 2753 viewsdistortR

just read through the piece, Les comes across very well. Although I did read it through les-tinted glasses.

re the matt smith the taller thing, I would also add that there is going to be diminishing returns from him, 30 now, can't run or last 90 minutes regularly anyway. Certainly wouldn't be a preferred plan A for me, I would say 450k for him was excellent work.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 07:33 - Jul 4 with 2722 viewsQPR_Jim

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 03:49 - Jul 4 by ozexile

Caulkers contract was paid out to get him away from the place. And they're being replaced by players who we're yet to see if they're good enough for this division. So of course they're cheaper.

I don't get your point, do you think anyone would have bought Caulker given his well publicised issues? I think it's a miracle that we got his wages off the books for a year through loans. Also he left 2 years ago and has been replaced by the likes of Leistener and Hall, so we do know if his replacements we're good enough.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 08:38 - Jul 4 with 2602 viewsconnell10

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 03:49 - Jul 4 by ozexile

Mate if you dont like Les just come out and say it! All this statistical nonsense your spouting is bollox! Did Les accidentally kick a ball into your face at a match or something?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Sir Les piece on talk sport on 08:51 - Jul 4 with 2580 viewsPikey

Top man LF honest and forth right. I personally see nothing wrong with either the interview or the job he has done to date. Love the bit where he digs out those that complain all the time. Most of then are on here and they'd still complain if we got promoted.
My view has always been as a dan you SUPPORT your club.
Sir Les piece on talk sport on 09:02 - Jul 4 with 2547 viewsstevec

For sure, he's trying to do the best he can for the club.

One thing I can't fathom, with this obsession for Tim Sherwood, how can he truly look at any other incoming manager with objectivity.

He needs to drop this stance fast, we have a manager and he needs to back him 100% and he cannot do that with bloody Sherwood constantly on his mind.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024