Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club 01:01 - Jul 10 with 4693 viewsnumptydumpty

I notice recently it seems both nottingham forest and leeds who are both have said to have been interested in signing luongo have changed their minds.

He has been left at home so we are all assuming thats because he is not in the plans of the manager you would be led to assume

Is anyone on the lines along with myself thinking we would actually be better off keeping luongo if we can.

It would seem he is not a consideration of warburtons plans but I for one would be more pleased if he actually stayed this season

As things stand we have a very inexperienced squad and I feel luongo still being here would be a positive

I cant believe his fee would be substantial and I cant believe he is on wages that are out of reach for our club even now

For some people he is a bit of a marmite player but even though what he does has never seen as outstanding - he is a player that has always seemed to be missed when he is not in the team or squad and results have always been markedly better over a long period with luongo playing...

I have always liked him in the team - the shape and style and effectiveness of the team have often been worse when he has been sidelined. For me it happened all too often for it to have been a coincidence in my eyes anyhow

If all suitors changed their mind for me that would be a positive

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:47 - Jul 10 with 1692 viewsrsonist

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:04 - Jul 10 by robith

But then he'd only have half a season left on his contract i.e the tactic we used to get Freeman's price down

That's my point. If he's not talking to anyone now then we've discarded much of the leverage we had from having longer on his contract.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:49 - Jul 10 with 1681 viewsstevec

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 10:30 - Jul 10 by Antti_Heinola

we saw the luongoless team at one stage last season.
We didn't win a game.

We barely won a game after he came back.

Useless first year. Played a more forward role when Ramsey couldn't work out what to do with him, think he hit a post at Brentford and celebrated the anniversary of that by hitting someone else's post.

Second year, JFH tried him in all sorts of roles, to little effect.

Third year, a bit better under Holloway though how he got POTY ahead of Freeman was a mystery. Went on, what was for him, a mini scoring spree around the time of year, particularly that year, when over half the sides had gone on holiday.

Fourth year, actually looked half decent when Cameron was tucked in directly behind him for the first half season. Once Cameron injured and out the picture, his form faded.

His tracking back when the ball played in behind him had been terrible until McClaren turned up, seemingly unable to grasp the fact that if the balls out wide in your area and gets pulled back, it might be an idea to track the runner. That went on for three years.
His shooting from outside the area is park standard.
He can't play one touch football, hence the pedestrian nature of our football to the point where it's almost become normality.
Four years and I doubt anyone can honestly say what is his best position.

He cost 3 mill and I doubt we'll get a mill back.

Watched this lot since 1966 and I am struggling to think of a more over rated fans favourite.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 13:30 - Jul 10 with 1565 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:49 - Jul 10 by stevec

Useless first year. Played a more forward role when Ramsey couldn't work out what to do with him, think he hit a post at Brentford and celebrated the anniversary of that by hitting someone else's post.

Third year, a bit better under Holloway though how he got POTY ahead of Freeman was a mystery. Went on, what was for him, a mini scoring spree around the time of year, particularly that year, when over half the sides had gone on holiday.

Fourth year, actually looked half decent when Cameron was tucked in directly behind him for the first half season. Once Cameron injured and out the picture, his form faded.

His tracking back when the ball played in behind him had been terrible until McClaren turned up, seemingly unable to grasp the fact that if the balls out wide in your area and gets pulled back, it might be an idea to track the runner. That went on for three years.
He can't play one touch football, hence the pedestrian nature of our football to the point where it's almost become normality.

Watched this lot since 1966 and I am struggling to think of a more over rated fans favourite.

Your last line might give you a clue, mate.
Bored of showing you all the stats - we'll disagree forever!

Bare bones.

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 13:35 - Jul 10 with 1549 viewsA40Bosh

The way we have done early doors business quietly and without fuss and seemingly getting most of them over the line without protracted rumours would say to me that if Mass has been left behind then there are irons in the fire.

edit: I am taking the position that players' agents are like estate agent, there is always someone else bidding against you who is "chain free" or offered higher :-)

In fact leaving him behind could even be the club making a bluff to try and make any clubs circling around monitoring now show their hand if they think he is in negotiations with another club.

I suspect the first case of irons already in the fire is probably the more likely scenario
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 13:37]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 13:51 - Jul 10 with 1509 viewsstevec

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 13:30 - Jul 10 by Antti_Heinola

Your last line might give you a clue, mate.
Bored of showing you all the stats - we'll disagree forever!

True.

Anyway, the transfer fee may go a little way to prove it one way or another.

My guess is the clubs who want him couldn't afford his wages and the clubs who could afford them wouldn't want him.

We'll see.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 14:56 - Jul 10 with 1442 views00calben

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:49 - Jul 10 by stevec

‘He can't play one touch football, hence the pedestrian nature of our football to the point where it's almost become normality.’

Just to clarify - you believe that the thing holding this squad back from playing one-touch football is Massimo Luongo?
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 15:25 - Jul 10 with 1399 viewsqpr1976

Didn't we pay £3m for Him AND Gladwin (God know why) ?
Then got a reasonable fee for Gladwin when he left (God knows how) ?

So we've already recouped some of our outlay. I agree a £1m is top end, as we've hardly 'developed' him, he's not much better, just older.

Happy if he stays on, but equally not bothered if he goes. Just finding a buyer is the main problem.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 15:33 - Jul 10 with 1385 viewsstevec

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 15:25 - Jul 10 by qpr1976

Didn't we pay £3m for Him AND Gladwin (God know why) ?
Then got a reasonable fee for Gladwin when he left (God knows how) ?

So we've already recouped some of our outlay. I agree a £1m is top end, as we've hardly 'developed' him, he's not much better, just older.

Happy if he stays on, but equally not bothered if he goes. Just finding a buyer is the main problem.

I believe Gladwin was like the freebie in your Cornflakes packet and don't recall a fee being involved in his move to Blackburn.
Login to get fewer ads

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 16:37 - Jul 10 with 1308 viewsrobith

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 15:33 - Jul 10 by stevec

I believe Gladwin was like the freebie in your Cornflakes packet and don't recall a fee being involved in his move to Blackburn.

IIRC correctly most of the money was technically for Gladwin to allow Swindon to game Spurs on the Luongo sell on clause
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 09:20 - Jul 11 with 1079 viewsDejR_vu

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 10:30 - Jul 10 by Antti_Heinola

we saw the luongoless team at one stage last season.
We didn't win a game.

In fairness we didn’t win many when he came back either.

Luongo’s a bit of an odd one for me. Everyone talks about his stats but he just seems to waddle about, doesn’t score many and we concede 70 goals a season. Maybe we would concede 100 without him, who knows?

I thought I might be wrong about him when he went off after Christmas and our form dropped off the edge of a cliff, but we were just as bad when he came back.

I think the fact that we are so desperate to unload him that we’ve gone public, inviting clubs to absolutely take the p1ss, and yet there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of interest, speaks volumes. Looks at this stage like he might be another one we make a loss on.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 09:34 - Jul 11 with 1056 viewsstevec

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 09:20 - Jul 11 by DejR_vu

In fairness we didn’t win many when he came back either.

Luongo’s a bit of an odd one for me. Everyone talks about his stats but he just seems to waddle about, doesn’t score many and we concede 70 goals a season. Maybe we would concede 100 without him, who knows?

I thought I might be wrong about him when he went off after Christmas and our form dropped off the edge of a cliff, but we were just as bad when he came back.

I think the fact that we are so desperate to unload him that we’ve gone public, inviting clubs to absolutely take the p1ss, and yet there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of interest, speaks volumes. Looks at this stage like he might be another one we make a loss on.

...in one.

I'm mystified about those Stats we keep hearing about as well. Barely scores, for a midfielder in his position, his assist numbers are quite poor and we've all seen his shooting.

Apparently it's the tackling. I guess if Warburton has decided to try building a passing team, that is, a midfield that manages to retain the ball a little more often, we won't be needing quite so much tackling.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 09:48 - Jul 11 with 1022 viewsBrianMcCarthy

As ever, there's a tendency to split people into pro and anti groups. As ever the truth is somewhere in between.

Luongo is good at positioning, tacking and short passing, needs to work on long passing, dribbling and goals. He's been very good for us on the whole but that has to be tempered by our situation - 38th best team in England.

My own feeling is that over the last two years we've been much better with him in the team, so he will be hard to replace. The better players are.

I've no idea why he isn't in the squad for Austria - thankfully, our club do their business professionally and in private these days - but I'm inclined to trust them on this.

In short, to answer the OP - if he won't sign a contract within our budget structure then, no, I'm not hoping he stays.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 09:54 - Jul 11 with 1002 viewsdaveB

Luongo was a lot more effective under Holloway where the team were required to win the ball back quickly and press high up the pitch, last year I thought his positioning got a lot better under McClaren and improved as a player but was oddly less effective for us and like Freeman was poor in the last few months which will affect any fee.

I'd be surprised if he goes to be honest, I can't see many clubs coming in for him
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 09:59 - Jul 11 with 998 viewsstevec

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 09:48 - Jul 11 by BrianMcCarthy

As ever, there's a tendency to split people into pro and anti groups. As ever the truth is somewhere in between.

Luongo is good at positioning, tacking and short passing, needs to work on long passing, dribbling and goals. He's been very good for us on the whole but that has to be tempered by our situation - 38th best team in England.

My own feeling is that over the last two years we've been much better with him in the team, so he will be hard to replace. The better players are.

I've no idea why he isn't in the squad for Austria - thankfully, our club do their business professionally and in private these days - but I'm inclined to trust them on this.

In short, to answer the OP - if he won't sign a contract within our budget structure then, no, I'm not hoping he stays.

Fair comment, I'm probably being overly harsh.

As DejR Vu says, where are all these suitors if he's as good as some say?

It'll be great if we get a fee but suspect something along the lines of him being loaned out with us paying half his wages.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 10:21 - Jul 11 with 980 viewsdannyblue

It does show the kind of bad decision making we've had.

We signed a player from Swindon of League 1. He would have wanted to come to us because we had all his old mentors here and I don't recall there being much competition. And his wages are so high we could get 'three players in' for the same? We offered too much.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 11:58 - Jul 11 with 926 viewsdaveB

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 10:21 - Jul 11 by dannyblue

It does show the kind of bad decision making we've had.

We signed a player from Swindon of League 1. He would have wanted to come to us because we had all his old mentors here and I don't recall there being much competition. And his wages are so high we could get 'three players in' for the same? We offered too much.

He's had a new contract since he signed from Swindon so would have got a pay rise
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:12 - Jul 11 with 903 viewsstevec

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 11:58 - Jul 11 by daveB

He's had a new contract since he signed from Swindon so would have got a pay rise

Yes, and how his agent pulled that one off I have no idea.

Chinese interest indeed, I bet him and Luongo have a right old laugh over a few cans of Fosters about that one.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:28 - Jul 11 with 883 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:12 - Jul 11 by stevec

Yes, and how his agent pulled that one off I have no idea.

Chinese interest indeed, I bet him and Luongo have a right old laugh over a few cans of Fosters about that one.

Did he take home after a night out and not call you back Steve?
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:32 - Jul 11 with 868 viewsstevec

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 12:28 - Jul 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Did he take home after a night out and not call you back Steve?

who told ya?

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 13:08 - Jul 11 with 835 viewsdannyblue

Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 11:58 - Jul 11 by daveB

Must have been a good pay rise to take him from something that would attract a league 1 player, to something that's high end in the championship. But then our crew have had a lot of faith in him.

Funny how it works out. Had he played in the world cup I'm sure we would have got big bucks for him last summer.

Now I suspect we'll accept a pittance, or he'll play with us, avoiding injury, until Jan or worse next summer.
Is anyone hoping luongo doesn't get picked up by any other club on 13:53 - Jul 11 with 758 viewsLythamR

im generally with SteveC on this one. As for his passing stats his short pass completion is so good because he gets the ball and then runs towards a player on the touch line and then pops the pass at him from about 3 yards after telegraphing to everyone in the ground including the opposition exactly what he is going to do thereby dropping said player right in the crapper more often than not. definately needs to work on that

on his good days he can be a tenacious defensive midfielder good at closing down and dispossesion but his good days have been too few. I think attitude and commitment have been fine, seems a decent character and I hope he finds the right club to take his career forward
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024