Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite pub names 22:42 - Jul 14 with 8707 viewscolinallcars

Not having anything else to occupy what I call my mind, I suddenly started to think of my favourite pub names. I find the Ship Aground very evocative and I also like the Dog And Muffler and The World Turned Upside Down. Any good 'uns ? Not made up ones please.
Favourite pub names on 14:56 - Jul 15 with 1619 viewsBoston

On my trips to distant northern parts, we’d occasionally meet up in Manchester at an establishment by the name of the Nip and Tipple. Horrible beer.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Favourite pub names on 15:08 - Jul 15 with 1581 viewsrobith

When I first started drinking in pubs (aged 17 but looking roughly 42) we used to go to The Good Yarn in Uxbridge cos it was a spoons and it was cheap. Never realised how good a name that is for a pub
Favourite pub names on 15:16 - Jul 15 with 1570 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The names of a lot of pubs derives from their allegiance during the civil war apparently.

The Royal Oak refers to Charles I and the tree that the Roundheads caught him in.
Favourite pub names on 15:28 - Jul 15 with 1554 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Favourite pub names on 15:16 - Jul 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

The names of a lot of pubs derives from their allegiance during the civil war apparently.

The Royal Oak refers to Charles I and the tree that the Roundheads caught him in.

No it's Charles II after the battle of Worcester.

The story of him on the run is quite fascinating.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite pub names on 15:34 - Jul 15 with 1547 viewsMick_S

There is The Office in Northolt.

"You in the pub?"

"No, still in the office."
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 15:42]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite pub names on 15:46 - Jul 15 with 1529 viewsjohann28

Favourite pub names on 15:28 - Jul 15 by Metallica_Hoop

Quite. And which the Roundheads DIDN'T catch him in (the hiding place is the clue here).
Favourite pub names on 15:48 - Jul 15 with 1523 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I was in a pub when I was told the story. Hope that explains my historical inaccuracy,
Favourite pub names on 16:01 - Jul 15 with 1507 viewsCiderwithRsie

Another shout-out for The Case Its Altered - never knew where the name came from, so I'm going with the Casa Alta thing from now on.

Also:
Bel and the Dragon (I always wanted to know who Bel was)
The Queen's Head and Artichoke
The Five Alls (sign of five people - soldier "I fight for all", vicar "I pray for all" etc)
The pub right next to the castle in Castletown IoM is boringly called The Castle Arms but known to all since forever as The Glue Pot - once in, you stick around

I was told of a pub in Stevenage called the Edward the Confessor but locally known as Ted the Grass
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite pub names on 16:07 - Jul 15 with 1502 viewsCiderwithRsie

Pub name story from history:
First battle of Wars of the Roses was St Albans. Lancastrian army led by Duke of Somerset. Story goes that he was always arrogant because it'd been foretold that he'd die with a crown over his head (he was the king's cousin.)

The Yorkists got him cornered and he looked up to see he was under the sign of The Crown inn (it's still there.)
Favourite pub names on 16:14 - Jul 15 with 1492 viewsHantsR

Favourite pub names on 15:28 - Jul 15 by Metallica_Hoop

That's right and the Monarch's Way approximates the escape route taken by King Charles II in 1651 after being defeated in the Battle of Worcester. It runs from Worcester via Bristol and Yeovil to Brighton.
Favourite pub names on 16:15 - Jul 15 with 1489 viewsDavieQPR

Near Dublin 'The Hardleigh Inn'.
Favourite pub names on 18:27 - Jul 15 with 1425 viewsScubaHoop

There was a pub near me called the Guns and Chicken Hot Shot Bar. They missed a trick as they never sold t-shirts. It's closed now.... Good bless the Virgin Islands.
Favourite pub names on 18:38 - Jul 15 with 1416 viewsMrSheen

Favourite pub names on 15:16 - Jul 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

I'd never noticed the Royal Oak connection to the English Civil War before.

I took an online course on the English Civil War(s) last year. I knew a little bit about it, and how it affected Ireland, but I had no idea how involved the Scots were. They were originally allies of parliament (more than half of the victorious "Parliamentary" army at Marston Moor were Scots), but then fell out with Cromwell and friends over religion. They invaded in 1648 to try to rescue Charles (who was a Scot himself, born in Dunfermline), leading to his execution, then again in 1651 in support of his son. In between, Cromwell invaded Scotland and gave his old allies a hiding at Dunbar in 1650: Scottish forces 22,000, of which 1,000-3,000 killed, 6,000-10,000 captured. English forces 11,000, 20 killed. The Scots also managed some brutal civil warring on their own between times, none of which ever got a mention in my history class.
Favourite pub names on 19:06 - Jul 15 with 1394 viewsHantsR

My favourite pub quiz fact is the year of death recorded on Charles 1st grave memorial ...30 January 1649 we all know and would expect to be written thereon, but ...?
Favourite pub names on 19:16 - Jul 15 with 1381 viewsNoDiddley

The Treacle Mine in Grays, Essex.
Named when a local paper asked for suggestions for the 'new' pub opening on a busy roundabout.
Apparently the winner said that he was told as a kid, that there was such a thing on the land it was built on, cute!
Favourite pub names on 19:57 - Jul 15 with 1346 viewsrrrspricey

Corrie (Coronation) Tap in Cliftonville. Sells Exhibition cider made exclusively for the pub by Thatchers and comes in around 8.5 - 9%.

Only sold on half's and accounts for around 90% of total sales
Favourite pub names on 20:12 - Jul 15 with 1336 viewsSimplyNico

Favourite pub names on 19:57 - Jul 15 by rrrspricey

Corrie (Coronation) Tap in Cliftonville. Sells Exhibition cider made exclusively for the pub by Thatchers and comes in around 8.5 - 9%.

Only sold on half's and accounts for around 90% of total sales

There used to be the Inebriated Newt in Battersea. And Guildford used to have a pub with a "reputation" called the Greyhound, which was known locally as the Whippet Inn.
Favourite pub names on 20:58 - Jul 15 with 1304 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Favourite pub names on 18:38 - Jul 15 by MrSheen

I took an online course on the English Civil War(s) last year. I knew a little bit about it, and how it affected Ireland, but I had no idea how involved the Scots were. They were originally allies of parliament (more than half of the victorious "Parliamentary" army at Marston Moor were Scots), but then fell out with Cromwell and friends over religion. They invaded in 1648 to try to rescue Charles (who was a Scot himself, born in Dunfermline), leading to his execution, then again in 1651 in support of his son. In between, Cromwell invaded Scotland and gave his old allies a hiding at Dunbar in 1650: Scottish forces 22,000, of which 1,000-3,000 killed, 6,000-10,000 captured. English forces 11,000, 20 killed. The Scots also managed some brutal civil warring on their own between times, none of which ever got a mention in my history class.

Sounds interesting mate.

Knew about Cromwell’s reputation in Ireland but didn’t realise Charlie was Scottish. Makes sense I suppose being part of the Stewart dynasty.
Favourite pub names on 21:16 - Jul 15 with 1290 viewsMrSheen

Favourite pub names on 20:58 - Jul 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sounds interesting mate.

Knew about Cromwell’s reputation in Ireland but didn’t realise Charlie was Scottish. Makes sense I suppose being part of the Stewart dynasty.

He was born a few years before Elizabeth died, so his father was only king of Scotland then. I don’t think he spent much time there once James went south.
Favourite pub names on 08:02 - Jul 16 with 1189 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bought a few of these not long ago you can read each in the garden in a few hours.

I started with Athelstan. The Charles II one is very good.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite pub names on 09:35 - Jul 16 with 1148 viewsrobith

Favourite pub names on 18:38 - Jul 15 by MrSheen

I was always taught that history is very complicated and often doesn't make linear narrative sense. So you get a very streamlined version, that gets more detailed at each level you reach
Favourite pub names on 10:14 - Jul 16 with 1133 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

And to think people cough up for Open University courses.
Favourite pub names on 10:50 - Jul 16 with 1111 viewsChurchie

Dirty Dicks Spitalfields, not been there for years. What's it like now?
Favourite pub names on 11:36 - Jul 16 with 1083 viewsMrSheen

Favourite pub names on 10:50 - Jul 16 by Churchie

Same as ever. Such a busy location you can hardly see what it looks like. Just along from Woodin’s Shades, another strange name.
Favourite pub names on 13:04 - Jul 16 with 1048 viewsrobith

Favourite pub names on 10:50 - Jul 16 by Churchie

it's still an absolute pit
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024