Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91599 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 15:23 - Aug 2 with 1681 viewsjonno

Root out - we needed him to go on to get a ton. Usual collapse coming?
Ashes thread on 15:29 - Aug 2 with 1658 views18StoneOfHoop

Ashes thread on 15:23 - Aug 2 by jonno

Jonah jonno please be getting it wrong as per usual.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Ashes thread on 15:31 - Aug 2 with 1646 viewsWilloW4

Ashes thread on 14:53 - Aug 2 by jonno

Yes - but I'm the only one prepared to make a prediction I notice!

I predict you'll get another cricket prediction wrong- today.
Ashes thread on 15:38 - Aug 2 with 1627 viewsClive_Anderson

Ashes thread on 15:23 - Aug 2 by jonno

Ha ha you're more pessimistic with England at cricket than I am with Rangers.
Ashes thread on 15:49 - Aug 2 with 1601 viewsterryb

You want a prediction? I'll give you two!

England will win this test & the series.

Why? Apart from Smith, England have the better batsmen. Apart from Stokes, England have the better bowlers. AND England are by far the better fielders!

I do expect that your pedictions are very much tongue in cheek though!
Ashes thread on 16:30 - Aug 2 with 1568 viewsjohnhoop

One thing that I’ve really liked so far about today is the fact that, for the first time in what seems like ages, England have been prepared to play as if it is a five day test match and just look to accumulate runs without worrying too much about how long it is taking. Not sure whether Bairstow, Buttler, Moeen etc will be able to show the same patience when the time comes but so far it’s been encouraging.
Ashes thread on 16:31 - Aug 2 with 1568 viewsNov77

So when England wanted to replace a ball yesterday the umpires weren’t having it, yet today when the Aussies ask they're given one.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 16:32 - Aug 2 with 1566 viewsClive_Anderson

Ashes thread on 16:31 - Aug 2 by Nov77

So when England wanted to replace a ball yesterday the umpires weren’t having it, yet today when the Aussies ask they're given one.

A much newer one too.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 16:47 - Aug 2 with 1538 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 16:32 - Aug 2 by Clive_Anderson

A much newer one too.

Couldn’t get the old ball to do anything, now they’ve got 2 quick wickets with the replacement.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 16:50 - Aug 2 with 1529 viewsted_hendrix

Fcking joke.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 17:05 - Aug 2 with 1497 viewsstowmarketrange

Isn’t it supposed to be the same for both teams?They get a newer ball and 2 quick wickets,we get the same ball and 100+ runs against us.
Ashes thread on 17:10 - Aug 2 with 1489 viewsWilloW4

Congratulations Rory Burns...
Ashes thread on 17:25 - Aug 2 with 1469 viewsElHoop

Superb knock so far by Burns in the circumstances. Hopefully a match winning one.

The ball - I heard Broad talking about our ball earlier and he said that it got soggy yesterday after the rain and was useless. The Oz ball which was changed today was changed for one of last year's balls from the box, and the old balls apparently did more than this batch. That's what they said on Sky anyway.
Ashes thread on 18:26 - Aug 2 with 1416 viewsWilloW4

Is Nathan Lyon the little brother of Montgomery Burns.?
Ashes thread on 18:35 - Aug 2 with 1403 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 18:26 - Aug 2 by WilloW4

Is Nathan Lyon the little brother of Montgomery Burns.?

Really? [eyeroll]

Some great batting against a good bowling attack.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 18:45 - Aug 2 with 1384 viewsjohnhoop

So 267-4 at close of play. If you’d offered me that score before play began today I’d have jumped at it. So well done to Burns Root and Stokes for putting us in a position where we’re still in with a chance of winning the game.
Ashes thread on 19:01 - Aug 2 with 1361 viewsMatch82

Ashes thread on 17:05 - Aug 2 by stowmarketrange

Isn’t it supposed to be the same for both teams?They get a newer ball and 2 quick wickets,we get the same ball and 100+ runs against us.

I think there's some device they use to check shape. Passed for our ball, failed for the Aussie ball.
Ashes thread on 23:02 - Aug 2 with 1269 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 19:01 - Aug 2 by Match82

I think there's some device they use to check shape. Passed for our ball, failed for the Aussie ball.

They could always rub down one side with a bit of wet and dry to make it fit?
Ashes thread on 03:48 - Aug 3 with 1220 viewsHooparoo

Pitch is already turning so you’ll need a big lead as Lyon will be a big factor on the last day. If it’s only 100 or less, I would still say game is in the balance. Aussie bats won’t all miss out twice.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 3:58]

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 06:59 - Aug 3 with 1168 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 03:48 - Aug 3 by Hooparoo

Pitch is already turning so you’ll need a big lead as Lyon will be a big factor on the last day. If it’s only 100 or less, I would still say game is in the balance. Aussie bats won’t all miss out twice.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 3:58]

If you offered me another 120 now, I'd take it and the lead of 100.

It looks as if conditions will be OK early on and then it will get murky and showery later. If we do get a lead of 100 then we'll win for sure. If we did get a lead of 150-200 then we might not even bat again.
Ashes thread on 07:16 - Aug 3 with 1163 viewsElHoop

Well we might actually be 5 down at lunch.

Today.
Ashes thread on 08:28 - Aug 3 with 1125 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 06:59 - Aug 3 by ElHoop

If you offered me another 120 now, I'd take it and the lead of 100.

It looks as if conditions will be OK early on and then it will get murky and showery later. If we do get a lead of 100 then we'll win for sure. If we did get a lead of 150-200 then we might not even bat again.

Yes, England (unusually) batted like it was a test match instead of a one day game, which is what they will need to do for the whole series. Two concerns - can we get Smith out in the second innings and how will we bat against Lyon in the fourth innings when the ball is likely to be turning? I don't think I would want to be having to get more than 100. It's imperative that we get as large a first innings lead as possible.
Ashes thread on 12:18 - Aug 3 with 1073 viewsstowmarketrange

Surely that has to be the end for Ali?Now out without even attempting a shot.
Ashes thread on 12:20 - Aug 3 with 1066 viewsozexile

Ashes thread on 12:18 - Aug 3 by stowmarketrange

Surely that has to be the end for Ali?Now out without even attempting a shot.

How many chances can we give him? Contributes nothing with bat or ball.
Ashes thread on 12:21 - Aug 3 with 1065 viewsHooparoo

You fcking beauty!

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024