Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 90987 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 11:17 - Jul 16 with 2126 viewsozexile

Ashes thread on 11:14 - Jul 16 by dubaistu

Days 1-3 Edgbaston for me

My team would be

Roy
Burns
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Woakes
Rashid
Archer
Broad
Anderson

Who's the WK?
Ashes thread on 11:34 - Jul 16 with 2109 viewsaston_hoop

Days 3 and 4 (and maybe 5) at Headingley.

Jimmy Anderson still struggling with injury by all accounts for the 1st test. All being fit though, I'd go:

Burns
Roy
Root
Bairstow
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes (wk)
Woakes
Rashid
Archer
Anderson

With the likes of Broad, Wood, Curran(s), Ali, Leach etc, its nice to have options!
[Post edited 16 Jul 2019 11:35]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Ashes thread on 14:43 - Jul 16 with 2024 viewsrbsranger

Root is unlikely to agree to bat at 3 which means we have a log jam of good players in the middle order but the top order is going to be dodgy and that does not bode well with Starc et al.
I think they will give Roy a run out in the team at the top of the order even though he never opens for Surrey and I am sure they will try Archer also despite his complete lack of red-ball experience. Hopefully they won't all be mentally knackered from the WC but will be able to ride the crest of the wave instead...
Ashes thread on 14:43 - Jul 16 with 2023 viewseasthertsr

For me Foakes has to play ,the best keeper and from what I can see more likely to get runs than Denly! Sorry Root has to be told to bat at three ,the whole batting order falls into place with that one move. Lot's of people on this thread are writing off Ali, he Has a good test record especially at home.
Ashes thread on 14:49 - Jul 16 with 2012 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ashes thread on 14:43 - Jul 16 by easthertsr

For me Foakes has to play ,the best keeper and from what I can see more likely to get runs than Denly! Sorry Root has to be told to bat at three ,the whole batting order falls into place with that one move. Lot's of people on this thread are writing off Ali, he Has a good test record especially at home.

Root is the captain, he'll bat where he wants.

The grass is always greener.

Ashes thread on 15:27 - Jul 16 with 1974 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 14:49 - Jul 16 by Esox_Lucius

Root is the captain, he'll bat where he wants.

And therein lies the problem. It means that either Bairstow has to go up the order to bat at three or we have to select somebody who isn’t really good enough to get in the side to go in the top three and it probably squeezes Foakes out.
Ashes thread on 16:01 - Jul 16 with 1942 viewstoboboly

Ticket wise;

I have received my Edgbaston tix but nothing yet for Headingley or Old Trafford. Does anyone know when these other ones will be delivered?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 17:54 - Jul 16 with 1891 viewsAntti_Heinola

Also, imperative that Woakes, Foakes and Stokes play in the same team. 8 more like that is the dream. Is there a Tokes, Lokes, Mokes, Shokes, Vokes (Sam?), Boakes, Cokes and Dokes out there though?

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 22:34 - Jul 16 with 1856 viewsBlackCrowe

desperately hunting Lords earlier days now.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 22:50 - Jul 16 with 1845 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 14:43 - Jul 16 by easthertsr

Ali is a good player and an all-round good bloke but no longer obviously the best spinner available.

I still think he'll play again for England and should be nailed on for ODIs in the sub-continent.
Ashes thread on 22:56 - Jul 16 with 1835 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 22:34 - Jul 16 by BlackCrowe

desperately hunting Lords earlier days now.

We never win at Lords in tests though.
Ashes thread on 13:39 - Jul 22 with 1734 viewsTonto

I'm a Surrey fa, so obviously watch the scores and averages from there:

Foakes has not had a particularly good season thus far. he was also out cheaply in both innings against Aus A.

Meanwhile, despite loving Jason Roy (was there for his Surrey debut!), a test opener he is most definitely not. I m puzzled by the recent suggestion that he is. he bats at 5 for Surrey (when he plays - only 2 Championship innings last year) and has never opened except when a run chase is on. When the ball moved around in the final, he was all at sea. the red ball moves a lot more than the white one. Does he deserve a test place? yes possibly, but not at opener.

Archer has to play though doesn't he?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ashes thread on 13:43 - Jul 22 with 1720 viewsTonto

just did the BBC selector thing:

Sibley
Burns
Bairstow
Root (although agree with the above he should be at 3)
Stokes
Buttler
Curran S
Leach
Archer
Broad
Anderson

Ashes thread on 19:30 - Jul 22 with 1679 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 13:43 - Jul 22 by Tonto

just did the BBC selector thing:

Sibley
Burns
Bairstow
Root (although agree with the above he should be at 3)
Stokes
Buttler
Curran S
Leach
Archer
Broad
Anderson

Leach at 8?

(Sergeant Wilson voice): Are you quite sure that's wise, sir?
Ashes thread on 21:17 - Jul 22 with 1650 viewsTonto

Ashes thread on 19:30 - Jul 22 by CiderwithRsie

Leach at 8?

(Sergeant Wilson voice): Are you quite sure that's wise, sir?

I'll admit I haven't a clue what his batting average is. I basically just stacked the bowlers in at the end after Curran.

Ashes thread on 22:03 - Jul 22 with 1633 viewsloftus77

Ashes thread on 17:54 - Jul 16 by Antti_Heinola

Also, imperative that Woakes, Foakes and Stokes play in the same team. 8 more like that is the dream. Is there a Tokes, Lokes, Mokes, Shokes, Vokes (Sam?), Boakes, Cokes and Dokes out there though?

Lillee c Willey b Dilley.

It did happen once...
Ashes thread on 10:18 - Jul 24 with 1548 viewsElHoop

Well we go again today against Ireland at Lord's. Big occasion for the Irish so hopefully it won't be embarrassing.

However, I can't see this being anything but a bit of a massacre. Our bowlers mostly have something to prove in terms of future selection - I think that they might run through Ireland if we bowl first. Would be good to see us get some decent runs on the board too, and no injuries.
Ashes thread on 10:21 - Jul 24 with 1543 viewsaston_hoop

Roy
Burns
Denly
Root
Bairstow
Moeen
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Leach
Stone

Few with a point to prove there

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Ashes thread on 10:38 - Jul 24 with 1521 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 10:21 - Jul 24 by aston_hoop

Roy
Burns
Denly
Root
Bairstow
Moeen
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Leach
Stone

Few with a point to prove there

Against India here this time last year, we bowled them out twice for not many and Bairstow and Woakes scored big. We only battted once. Looks like there's more in the pitch for the spinners this time though.

I doubt that this is going to be a very high scoring match. Four day test finished in three days?
Ashes thread on 11:13 - Jul 24 with 1495 viewspastieR

Ashes thread on 10:38 - Jul 24 by ElHoop

Against India here this time last year, we bowled them out twice for not many and Bairstow and Woakes scored big. We only battted once. Looks like there's more in the pitch for the spinners this time though.

I doubt that this is going to be a very high scoring match. Four day test finished in three days?

Roy gone (albeit by a good ball), our middle order needs to score a lot of runs.
Ashes thread on 11:50 - Jul 24 with 1472 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 11:13 - Jul 24 by pastieR

Roy gone (albeit by a good ball), our middle order needs to score a lot of runs.

Still got no idea what Denly is doing there.

Apparently he is good mates with Ed Smith...

Root needs to man up and be at 3 like Kohli and Williamson.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes thread on 11:53 - Jul 24 with 1469 viewsNov77

Top three all gone cheaply.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:03 - Jul 24 with 1453 viewsTonto

not a good start to an Ashes summer is it...

Ashes thread on 12:03 - Jul 24 with 1452 viewsElHoop

FFS talk about the Irish being embarrassing - well I did mention Bairstow and Woakes!
Ashes thread on 12:05 - Jul 24 with 1450 viewsMrSheen

4 down! Australia lost/took 17 wickets in the first day of their in-house warm-up yesterday. Anyone got Day 5 tickets this summer?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024