Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 88553 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 10:24 - Aug 19 with 2050 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 10:14 - Aug 19 by thame_hoops

plenty of positives from both games being the optimist lol

with a fit Anderson in match one, they dont recover from 120-8 and without over two days washed out in match two we win.

plenty to look forward to for match three, aus need one win to retain the ashes, I could easily see a drawn series now, not the end of the world

Weather looks good enough this week for there to be a result at Headingley. If Oz goes in without Smith I think that Stokes' batting and Archer's bowling might be the difference between the two sides. Leach outbowled Lyon as well, which was a pleasant surprise.
Ashes thread on 10:33 - Aug 19 with 2043 viewsrobith

Ashes thread on 10:09 - Aug 19 by Hooparoo

Joe Root is a cheat. No way did he take that catch. What a hypocrite. 😬

|I have to concur. Hate fake appealling
Ashes thread on 10:33 - Aug 19 with 2043 viewsdolcelatte

Third umpire didn't agree

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Ashes thread on 12:13 - Aug 19 with 1982 viewsCamberleyR

No, cheating is surreptitiously sandpapering the ball to alter it's condition.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 13:34 - Aug 19 with 1917 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ashes thread on 02:03 - Aug 19 by isawqpratwcity

Be fair. He made that prediction before Smith was prohibited from taking further part in the game.

But at least you're better than Esox Lucius and Ned Kennedys: their idea of forum interaction is no argument, no debate, no interchange of ideas, not even any expression of language - no meeting of minds - just, click!, down arrow and on to the next target.

Clive, can we get some kind of tally device put on these champions of Ivory Tower Archery?

Well I disagree with most of what you say because you are virtually always wrong.
Ashes thread on 13:34 - Aug 19 with 1914 viewstoboboly

A bit like every Aussie batsman failing to walk EVER then getting apoplectic when any opposition do not walk?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 13:44 - Aug 19 with 1891 viewsisawqpratwcity

I agree, i.e. that I am convinced that he did not take the catch, though I am not jumping up and down about it as it did not alter the outcome of the game.

I wouldn't necessarily describe him as a cheat, as it is possible that he may believe that he took the catch fairly, but carefully watching the same numerous replays, slo-mos and zooms as the Third Umpire, I saw nothing to show that any of his fingers came between the ball and the pitch; while the conserved elasticity and continued true path of the bounce gave me no reason whatsoever to conclude that the ball hit anything but a flat area of turf.

A completely wrong decision, imho, but Joe Root may have felt the crippling weight of history upon his shoulders. It's a professional sport.

Fwiw, this decision is getting no air-time in Oz; it's all about Steve Smith's concussion, including Archer's bouncer to Labuschagne's helmet being met with a filthy scowl that said "You don't intimidate me, pal." There's no question, Archer will be a fantastic bowler when he learns how to dismiss batsmen by having them caught or bowled, rather than hospitalised.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 11:53]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 13:50 - Aug 19 with 1873 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 13:34 - Aug 19 by Ned_Kennedys

Well I disagree with most of what you say because you are virtually always wrong.

Yes, I didn't think you down-arrowed people because you agreed with them. It's the discourse that counts. Put up an opinion and see if it stands up to public scrutiny.

As another poster said of you, "There's nothing more punk than pressing a button 500 times a day."

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 15:12 - Aug 19 with 1828 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 12:13 - Aug 19 by CamberleyR

No, cheating is surreptitiously sandpapering the ball to alter it's condition.

Or claiming a catch that you’ve rolled on top of like khwaja at the mcg.
Ashes thread on 08:46 - Aug 20 with 1667 viewswillis1980

Ashes thread on 15:12 - Aug 19 by stowmarketrange

Or claiming a catch that you’ve rolled on top of like khwaja at the mcg.

This!!!!
Ashes thread on 11:23 - Aug 20 with 1625 viewsstowmarketrange

I saw that Smith has been ruled out for the next test starting on Thursday.That might even things up a bit,although his replacement at Lords seemed to fill his shoes quite well.
Ashes thread on 11:46 - Aug 20 with 1595 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 11:23 - Aug 20 by stowmarketrange

I saw that Smith has been ruled out for the next test starting on Thursday.That might even things up a bit,although his replacement at Lords seemed to fill his shoes quite well.

Yes, I think Hooparoo might have been making a point about Joe Root's, um, motivation...
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 11:50]

Ashes thread on 12:01 - Aug 20 with 1570 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 11:23 - Aug 20 by stowmarketrange

Maybe the crowd can boo when he appears on the balcony to take his panadol

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 12:15 - Aug 20 with 1549 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 12:01 - Aug 20 by Hooparoo

Maybe the crowd can boo when he appears on the balcony to take his panadol

There were only a few idiots booing Smith when he came back on after his injury.Whether he was right to came back at all is open to question,but nobody can doubt his bravery in returning to the crease.
I was there in Oz in 2017/18 and heard the reception that Stuart Broad continues to get for not walking after NOT being given out by the umpire.Even the media was in on it previously by not printing his name or photo,so the booing of all 3 players found to be deliberately cheating,or covering up that cheating was justified.
Do you think that any of the 3 of them would’ve made it back to the test team if there had been anyone capable of replacing them?
Ashes thread on 12:47 - Aug 20 with 1502 viewsacricketer

They've got history!

Ashes thread on 12:50 - Aug 20 with 1493 viewsMedwayR

Ashes thread on 12:15 - Aug 20 by stowmarketrange

There were only a few idiots booing Smith when he came back on after his injury.Whether he was right to came back at all is open to question,but nobody can doubt his bravery in returning to the crease.
I was there in Oz in 2017/18 and heard the reception that Stuart Broad continues to get for not walking after NOT being given out by the umpire.Even the media was in on it previously by not printing his name or photo,so the booing of all 3 players found to be deliberately cheating,or covering up that cheating was justified.
Do you think that any of the 3 of them would’ve made it back to the test team if there had been anyone capable of replacing them?

What makes me laugh with the Broad incident is how the Aussies conveniently forget that all they had to do was review it, but they couldn’t because they’d spaffed their reviews earlier on, I suppose that’s Broad’s fault as well.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes thread on 12:55 - Aug 20 with 1481 viewswillis1980

Ashes thread on 12:47 - Aug 20 by acricketer

They've got history!

This came out after englands bowlers kept saying that they were surprised that the australian bowlers were swinging the ball when the likes of anderson werent
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 12:57]
Ashes thread on 12:57 - Aug 20 with 1478 viewsElHoop

Maybe our Australian friends could try to put these in order of difficulty:

1. Finding 11 Australian professional cricketers capable of understanding the rules regarding ball maintenace and abiding by those rules.
2. Assembling an ICC Committee capable of administering due justice to any cricketers found to be seriously in breach of the regulations relating to ball maintenace.
3. Finding an entire crowd of 30000 English cricket fans incapable of acting in an 'ungentlemanly' fashion after several hours on the lash amongst friends.
Ashes thread on 13:13 - Aug 20 with 1449 viewsHooparoo

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

Ashes thread on 13:14 - Aug 20 with 1448 viewstoboboly

Ashes thread on 13:13 - Aug 20 by Hooparoo

You should probably get your stone back then.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 13:19 - Aug 20 with 1438 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 13:13 - Aug 20 by Hooparoo

Not without rubbing one side with sandpaper first.
Ashes thread on 13:50 - Aug 20 with 1404 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 13:19 - Aug 20 by stowmarketrange

Not without rubbing one side with sandpaper first.

Ashes thread on 11:10 - Aug 22 with 1212 viewsCamberleyR

England win toss and bowl.

Ashes thread on 12:01 - Aug 22 with 1174 viewsHooparoo

Let’s hope we can move past all the bullsh!t and enjoy a good hard test match.

Ashes thread on 12:13 - Aug 22 with 1158 viewsaston_hoop

Game on! Will be at days 3 and 4 (and maybe 5..) as long as Ryanair don't fck things up this weekend.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024