Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 90835 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 12:26 - Aug 22 with 1854 viewsflynnbo

12-1 and rain!
Ashes thread on 12:29 - Aug 22 with 1850 viewsrunningman75

Not going to be England's series boiling in London today, when last week was bucketing with rain.
Ashes thread on 13:02 - Aug 22 with 1808 viewsBlackCrowe

I truly hope i'm proved wrong, but Root's captaincy again is a bit of question. Of the opinion that you win the toss you bat. I wouldn't want to be chasing any kind of half decent total batting fourth on this wicket.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 14:13 - Aug 22 with 1761 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ashes thread on 13:02 - Aug 22 by BlackCrowe

I truly hope i'm proved wrong, but Root's captaincy again is a bit of question. Of the opinion that you win the toss you bat. I wouldn't want to be chasing any kind of half decent total batting fourth on this wicket.

It's all fair and well taking the captaincy from Root but who do you give it to? Many of those who want Root to give up the captaincy also want Stokes to take over. The danger with that is the added responsibility may impact his form with the bat and he's one of the few England batsmen in good nick.
Ashes thread on 14:20 - Aug 22 with 1753 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes thread on 14:13 - Aug 22 by Benny_the_Ball

It's all fair and well taking the captaincy from Root but who do you give it to? Many of those who want Root to give up the captaincy also want Stokes to take over. The danger with that is the added responsibility may impact his form with the bat and he's one of the few England batsmen in good nick.

You're absolutely right Benny, there is noone obvious to give the captaincy two. As i write, second wicket down, lovely stuff.

Ashes thread on 14:22 - Aug 22 with 1749 viewstoboboly

Ashes thread on 12:01 - Aug 22 by Hooparoo

Let’s hope we can move past all the bullsh!t and enjoy a good hard test match.

...cheating Khawaja...

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 17:26 - Aug 22 with 1682 viewsCamberleyR

Looking like a bad decision to bowl. 4+ an over, Woakes and Stokes have been very poor. I think this decision has meant the Ashes are staying down under.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2019 17:26]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 17:40 - Aug 22 with 1666 viewsNov77

Root stuck with Woakes and stokes too long, as soon as archer comes back he gets rid of warner.

Also, yet another Aussie (kuwacha) nicks one behind and doesn’t walk, remember all the abuse they gave broad for not walking when he’d edged one?. Hypocrites.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 17:54 - Aug 22 with 1652 viewsaston_hoop

139/5 suddently feels a lot nicer

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Ashes thread on 18:03 - Aug 22 with 1631 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 17:26 - Aug 22 by CamberleyR

Looking like a bad decision to bowl. 4+ an over, Woakes and Stokes have been very poor. I think this decision has meant the Ashes are staying down under.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2019 17:26]

Woakes and Stokes really did bowl an absolute heap of turd. The difference between our opening bowlers and the others today has been huge. Archer and Broad have looked close to unplayable most of the time and were incredibly unlucky not to take a lot more wickets in the first session.
Ashes thread on 19:32 - Aug 22 with 1582 viewsClive_Anderson

Wow I go out to get some booze from the corner shop and I come back and they lost 4 wickets. All out for 179.

Archer is something else.
Ashes thread on 19:48 - Aug 22 with 1568 viewsted_hendrix

Jofra Chioke Archer

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 21:02 - Aug 22 with 1512 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 19:32 - Aug 22 by Clive_Anderson

Wow I go out to get some booze from the corner shop and I come back and they lost 4 wickets. All out for 179.

Archer is something else.

Really is, isn't he? I thought "Great, we've got a real quick at last" but he's so much more - super fast, accurate, moves the ball off the seam, has a slow ball, and keeps going all day.

He's a sort of bowling Steve Smith, it doesn't seem quite human to be so good.

They should give his dad some sort of medal for keeping his British passport.
Ashes thread on 21:08 - Aug 22 with 1505 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 21:02 - Aug 22 by CiderwithRsie

Really is, isn't he? I thought "Great, we've got a real quick at last" but he's so much more - super fast, accurate, moves the ball off the seam, has a slow ball, and keeps going all day.

He's a sort of bowling Steve Smith, it doesn't seem quite human to be so good.

They should give his dad some sort of medal for keeping his British passport.

We need to be careful not to overbowl him though, nearly a third of the overs today. Don't want him breaking down.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 21:19 - Aug 22 with 1492 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes thread on 21:08 - Aug 22 by CamberleyR

We need to be careful not to overbowl him though, nearly a third of the overs today. Don't want him breaking down.

Absolutely agree with this. He is a very special and still upcoming talent that needs to be used with care and carnage in equal measure.

Ashes thread on 22:17 - Aug 22 with 1450 viewsPommyhoop

Gwan Joffra.
Mandem can bowl quick.!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Ashes thread on 22:42 - Aug 22 with 1427 viewswillis1980

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49441799

As much as I’ve enjoyed archers bowling today, it’s stoke’s full toss to Labu-schach-ne (not Labu-shane) that I’ve been watching again and again. He’s been taking a beating since he’s come in for Smith. It’s funny how people that have got their eye in often get out to poor deliveries
Ashes thread on 23:48 - Aug 22 with 1376 viewsHooparoo

Congratulations Poms. I think you just won the Ashes after that little collapse in the last session.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 00:52 - Aug 23 with 1349 viewstimcocking

The problem for England is always starting hampered by our own selectors. To have started a blatantly injured Jimmy Anderson instead of Jofra Archer in the first test...incompetence just doesn't do it justice, fcuking criminal. And yet, par for the course, our selectors have and will always get it wrong if they can.

Jofra you bloody beauty.

Ps No, i most certainly never said it's a shame he isn't playing for the West Indies, ahem. Definitely never said that.
Ashes thread on 01:58 - Aug 23 with 1339 viewsbob566

Irish fan here. That was some bowling. Broad and archa immense.
Ashes thread on 07:28 - Aug 23 with 1269 viewsdistortR

Ashes thread on 00:52 - Aug 23 by timcocking

The problem for England is always starting hampered by our own selectors. To have started a blatantly injured Jimmy Anderson instead of Jofra Archer in the first test...incompetence just doesn't do it justice, fcuking criminal. And yet, par for the course, our selectors have and will always get it wrong if they can.

Jofra you bloody beauty.

Ps No, i most certainly never said it's a shame he isn't playing for the West Indies, ahem. Definitely never said that.

or, if picked, it could have been the not quite fit Archer who broke down after 4 overs
Ashes thread on 09:01 - Aug 23 with 1242 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 23:48 - Aug 22 by Hooparoo

Congratulations Poms. I think you just won the Ashes after that little collapse in the last session.

I still think a drawn series will be the outcome.

Hate the term ‘Pom’ it’s always said in a nasty way
Ashes thread on 09:37 - Aug 23 with 1222 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 09:01 - Aug 23 by thame_hoops

I still think a drawn series will be the outcome.

Hate the term ‘Pom’ it’s always said in a nasty way

You’ll be happy to know it’s not nasty. Convicts arriving in Oz from England had POHM (Prisoner of His Majesty) written on their backs hence - Poms.

Most Aussies have some Pom to thank for their existence so I assure you it’s not nasty.

As for Aussies dumb enough to follow the Rs well, there’s not many of us down under. 😬

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 09:52 - Aug 23 with 1209 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 00:52 - Aug 23 by timcocking

Jofra you bloody beauty.

Archer wasn't fit for the first test. A lot of our bowlers were carrying injuries after the World Cup. Archer had a side injury which needed rest, so they sent him home to Barbados for a week and then he proved his fitness in a second XI game. Had he played in the first test he'd more than likely have broken down.
Ashes thread on 10:07 - Aug 23 with 1194 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 23:48 - Aug 22 by Hooparoo

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Never underestimate this England batting line-up’s potential for staging spectacular collapses of their own. I’m really hoping that the second innings at Lords was an indication that they’ve turned a corner in this regard but I certainly wouldn’t bet on it. If the prodigious amounts of movement off the pitch that Broad and Archer were getting yesterday morning are anything like replicated by the Aussie bowlers ( who are certainly good enough to do it), we’re going to be in for a pretty torrid time. Just hoping the improved weather today makes a difference.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024