Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 90828 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 12:11 - Jul 24 with 1850 viewsNov77

I’ve seen England embarrass themselves so many times but this is up there

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:14 - Jul 24 with 1833 viewsWokingR

Ashes thread on 12:11 - Jul 24 by Nov77

The Aussies must be pissing themselves
Ashes thread on 12:14 - Jul 24 with 1833 viewsMick_S

42 - 6.

Blimus.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ashes thread on 12:16 - Jul 24 with 1825 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 12:11 - Jul 24 by Nov77

Well we might still get to 100 and we haven't bowled yet.

Stirling will probably go out and clobber a run a ball 100 after lunch though, the way it's going.
Ashes thread on 12:26 - Jul 24 with 1789 viewsPhildo

Ashes thread on 10:18 - Jul 24 by ElHoop

Well we go again today against Ireland at Lord's. Big occasion for the Irish so hopefully it won't be embarrassing.

However, I can't see this being anything but a bit of a massacre. Our bowlers mostly have something to prove in terms of future selection - I think that they might run through Ireland if we bowl first. Would be good to see us get some decent runs on the board too, and no injuries.

tremendous insight here- it has turned out to be a massacre.

Joking aside is there a sport that is harder to predict than cricket?
Ashes thread (n/t) on 12:45 - Jul 24 with 1750 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 12:46 - Jul 24 with 1737 viewsjohnhoop

Maybe that’s why they only scheduled it as a four day test- because they knew we wouldn’t last into the 5th?
Ashes thread on 12:47 - Jul 24 with 1732 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 12:26 - Jul 24 by Phildo

In fairness I did have £4 on Ireland at 65 (I'm still not that confident of a win), and i did lay the runs. As you say it's pretty hard to predict what'll happen next. I don't think that it'll be boring though, whilst it lasts.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 12:48 - Jul 24 with 1725 viewskropotkin41

Ashes thread on 12:26 - Jul 24 by Phildo

Small EU member state absolutely shafts England at the Home of Cricket on the first day of (that c-nut) Johnson's premiership. Perfect. And they say there's no justice in the Universe. Come on Ireland!

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Ashes thread on 12:51 - Jul 24 with 1717 viewsNov77

That guy ‘extras’ has played well, third highest scorer so far.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:53 - Jul 24 with 1712 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 12:48 - Jul 24 by kropotkin41

Small EU member state absolutely shafts England at the Home of Cricket on the first day of (that c-nut) Johnson's premiership. Perfect. And they say there's no justice in the Universe. Come on Ireland!

Well there’s the answer for those who say you can avoid the political sh-te if you want to by not clicking on the threads. It’s now bleeding into the sporting ones as well.
Ashes thread on 12:53 - Jul 24 with 1712 viewsElHoop

Jeez be careful - there's a backstop in there somewhere, and I don't mean Gary Wilson!

I think that more of them are paid in sterling than in Euros anyway.
Ashes thread on 12:58 - Jul 24 with 1690 viewskropotkin41

Ashes thread on 12:53 - Jul 24 by johnhoop

Well there’s the answer for those who say you can avoid the political sh-te if you want to by not clicking on the threads. It’s now bleeding into the sporting ones as well.

Sorry, that was thoughtless of me.

The state of the country is no excuse to wander across the internet shooting from the hip.....

I just need to go out and get some fresh air....

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Ashes thread on 13:09 - Jul 24 with 1663 viewsNov77

Great stuff England, win the World Cup, then get bowled out before lunch against Ireland.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 13:09]

Ashes thread on 13:14 - Jul 24 with 1642 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 13:09 - Jul 24 by Nov77

Great stuff England, win the World Cup, then get bowled out before lunch against Ireland.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 13:09]

This could end up like losing to Scotland in 1967 all over again.
Ashes thread on 13:14 - Jul 24 with 1641 viewsMrSheen

Eight born in the North, and one in London. Amazingly, England have 10 English-born players today.
Ashes thread on 13:18 - Jul 24 with 1631 viewsCamberleyR

England's lowest score at Lord's since Glenn McGrath skittled them for 77 with an 8 for in 1997. That was Glenn McGrath though not 38 year old county journeyman Tim Murtagh FFS...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 13:21 - Jul 24 with 1618 viewsrunningman75

Backstop agreement going well.
Ashes thread on 13:26 - Jul 24 with 1603 viewsElHoop

I'd be getting worried if I've got tickets for tomorrow lol.
Ashes thread on 13:27 - Jul 24 with 1600 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 13:38 - Jul 24 with 1555 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ashes thread on 13:14 - Jul 24 by MrSheen

Eight born in the North, and one in London. Amazingly, England have 10 English-born players today.

So only one born abroad for Ireland, Sheen.

Wow, didn't know that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ashes thread on 15:14 - Jul 24 with 1438 viewsRangersw12

Fair play to Ireland they bowled very well

England need to have a hard look at themselves this isn't a new thing with our batting and maybe the real legacy of the World Cup win is that the ECB neglected 4 day cricket for last 4 years and we can't produce test batsman because of it
Ashes thread on 15:29 - Jul 24 with 1418 viewsElHoop

Seems a bit odd to have played two spinners, have had Bairstow roaming about on the pitch and yet we've bowled 20 overs with no spin! We're only 20 ahead now.
Ashes thread on 16:43 - Jul 24 with 1377 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 15:29 - Jul 24 by ElHoop

Seems a bit odd to have played two spinners, have had Bairstow roaming about on the pitch and yet we've bowled 20 overs with no spin! We're only 20 ahead now.

Well he’s brought the spinners on now and they’ve gone for a combined total of 40 runs in 6 overs so I don’t know what he can try next. The most active bit on the Test Match Special updates is who should we bring out of retirement to do as good a job as Murtagh with suggestions including Mark Ealham and Martin Bicknell.
Ashes thread on 16:53 - Jul 24 with 1361 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 16:43 - Jul 24 by johnhoop

Well he’s brought the spinners on now and they’ve gone for a combined total of 40 runs in 6 overs so I don’t know what he can try next. The most active bit on the Test Match Special updates is who should we bring out of retirement to do as good a job as Murtagh with suggestions including Mark Ealham and Martin Bicknell.

Yeah another bright idea that was!

We're beginning to claw it back now though. Not sure that their bottom order will add too many. Can't be worse than ours though!

Still 37 overs to bowl today - what will we be at the close of play lol. 62-3?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024