Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91705 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 12:03 - Sep 16 with 2342 viewsElHoop

Was a great summer and a fair result if you ignore the fact that Smith shouldn't really have been playing in the first place. However it would have been pretty dull without him. Perhaps if he had been banned from the World Cup and the Ashes were delayed until next year (as has happened before to avoid a World Cup clash) then everyone might have felt a bit better about the whole sandpapergate saga and Smith's involvement in an Ashes series.

I thought that the English selectors did pretty well to get a draw out of what was available to them. OK Roy was a bit of a disaster but they also persevered with Burns and Denley and those two have improved from being given a chance. If one or two kids can come through before we go back to Oz, then I think that we won't be without some sort of chance.
Ashes thread on 05:10 - Sep 17 with 2213 viewsjohnhoop

Just looking back at the post with which I started this thread in Mid-July immediately after the World Cup makes it obvious how the events of the series made my thoughts at that time look less than prescient.
I think most people would have been in favour of giving Jason Roy a chance in the Test team after his performances in the World Cup but in retrospect it appears he just doesn’t have the technique to cope against the moving ball in this form of the game. I still feel that on harder pitches with less movement such as in Australia or SA he might come off but I doubt whether there will be a chance for him to show it now.
I got it completely wrong in thinking Stuart Broad was over the hill and might have to be the one to be left out. I think he has been magnificent this summer, am really pleased to be proved wrong and hope he can maintain this level of performance for a bit longer.
And after speculating who should be the spinner out of Ali and Rashid it now turns out that Jack Leach is the man in possession and thoroughly deserves it. Was also impressed by Joe Root’s contribution with the ball in the final game.
All in all it’s been a fantastic cricket season, the best we’ve had for ages and I envy those who were able to be present at some of it’s most memorable moments.
Ashes thread on 11:39 - Sep 25 with 2061 viewsthame_hoops

Just watched ‘The Edge’ on amazon prime. Documentary about the England team 2009-2013, it’s really excellent, highly recommend 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Ashes thread on 17:18 - Sep 25 with 1996 viewsBlackCrowe

Thanks, will watch. If you havent' already seen, then Fire In Babylon is probably the most amazing sport documentary I've ever seen and it's cricket. Not sure where you can stream but it's def on Youtube in sections at least.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 19:02 - Sep 25 with 1964 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 17:18 - Sep 25 by BlackCrowe

Thanks, will watch. If you havent' already seen, then Fire In Babylon is probably the most amazing sport documentary I've ever seen and it's cricket. Not sure where you can stream but it's def on Youtube in sections at least.

I’ll look it up. Another good one is on prime ‘all or nothing Mumbai Indians’
Ashes thread on 19:41 - Sep 25 with 1954 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes thread on 19:02 - Sep 25 by thame_hoops

I’ll look it up. Another good one is on prime ‘all or nothing Mumbai Indians’

Ta. But trust me Fire In Babylon is extraordinary....the rise of the West Indies cricket from a laughing stock, plucking kids from the beaches of the Caribbean to combat aggression (and racism) from everywhere but particularly Oz and be masters of the beautiful game. Tis wondrous.

Tragic the state of WI cricket today.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 20:45 - Sep 25 with 1928 viewsCamberleyR

Fire In Babylon Part 1

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3iyqne

Part 2

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3j1fzs

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 20:45 - Sep 25 with 1927 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 19:41 - Sep 25 by BlackCrowe

Ta. But trust me Fire In Babylon is extraordinary....the rise of the West Indies cricket from a laughing stock, plucking kids from the beaches of the Caribbean to combat aggression (and racism) from everywhere but particularly Oz and be masters of the beautiful game. Tis wondrous.

Tragic the state of WI cricket today.

Found it on YouTube, I’ll watch it tonight
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 19:35 - Nov 18 with 1694 viewsCiderwithRsie

I like the way Tim Paine conducted himself in the Ashes but he seems to have gone a bit weird, claiming that Ben Stokes is using David Warner's name to sell his book.

In what world is David Warner a bigger star than Ben Stokes?
Ashes thread on 20:17 - Nov 18 with 1670 viewsMedwayR

Ashes thread on 19:35 - Nov 18 by CiderwithRsie

I like the way Tim Paine conducted himself in the Ashes but he seems to have gone a bit weird, claiming that Ben Stokes is using David Warner's name to sell his book.

Also, since when has Warner making himself look an utter cockwomble been headline news, surely it’s a daily occcurence.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes thread on 06:21 - Nov 19 with 1629 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes thread on 19:35 - Nov 18 by CiderwithRsie

Paine knows the heat will be off Smith enough soon for him to return as captain, following the carefully manufactured bans to allow them to return in time for the world cup and Ashes.

Warner is a complete and utter one, always has been. Highlight of the series aside from Stokes performance was him getting absolutely no runs.

Oh, and in answer to your question, the world of Australian commercial media where everything in Australia, no matter how minor, is portrayed as huge news amid unsubstantiated claims about being best in the world at just about everything. Minor car accidents or house fires where nobody was hurt make major news broadcasts etc.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 6:24]
Ashes thread on 12:26 - Dec 27 with 1501 viewsjonno

I see the English batsmen are showing yet again how to bat at Test level.
Ashes thread on 13:29 - Dec 27 with 1474 viewstimcocking

Please don't tell me we really won the toss and fielded first again...
Ashes thread on 13:30 - Dec 27 with 1473 viewsNov77

Groundhog Day again. Going to be bowled out in just over two sessions.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 13:48 - Dec 27 with 1453 viewsDWQPR

It’s about time someone realises that Root is a shît captain and at this time it’s also debatable whether he is a test batsman. His decisions are awful and his demeanor on the pitch just doesn’t give his team enthusiasm. Need to be replaced quickly. Stokes for me.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Ashes thread on 15:49 - Jan 6 with 1367 views18StoneOfHoop

Penultimate over of the day v Saffers?
Wicket from a tired attack badly needed to set us up for final day victory.
Send for the 37-year-old!
Oh Jimmy,Jimmy!
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 12:44]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Ashes thread on 16:41 - Jan 6 with 1330 viewsjonno

WE really do sruggle to bowl teams out. I can see this one going to the wire tomorrow.
Ashes thread on 21:38 - Jan 6 with 1285 viewsMedwayR

Ashes thread on 13:48 - Dec 27 by DWQPR

It’s about time someone realises that Root is a shît captain and at this time it’s also debatable whether he is a test batsman. His decisions are awful and his demeanor on the pitch just doesn’t give his team enthusiasm. Need to be replaced quickly. Stokes for me.

Sadly I don’t see anyone capable of doing a better job as captain. However, I do feel that the test captain should focus on that and stop playing the short form of the game, I think this would help Root’s batting and captaincy.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes thread on 23:48 - Jan 6 with 1242 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes thread on 16:41 - Jan 6 by jonno

WE really do sruggle to bowl teams out. I can see this one going to the wire tomorrow.

Our bowling isn't great. Anderson's career almost finished (one more injury will likely be the end) with Broad not far behind and there isn't much coming through the ranks. Jury out on Archer and how effective he will be longer term. The potential is certainly there.

I think getting 20 wickats is going to be a struggle for some time.
Ashes thread on 02:00 - Jan 7 with 1233 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 21:38 - Jan 6 by MedwayR

Sadly I don’t see anyone capable of doing a better job as captain. However, I do feel that the test captain should focus on that and stop playing the short form of the game, I think this would help Root’s batting and captaincy.

Burns?

(Successful county captain at Surrey before England debut)
Ashes thread on 15:10 - Jan 7 with 1168 viewsHayesender

Ben Stokes

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ashes thread on 15:17 - Jan 7 with 1160 viewsMick_S

What a catch by Crawley - lovely QPR Happy Days flag in the background. That was just superb.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ashes thread on 15:32 - Jan 7 with 1145 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 15:17 - Jan 7 by Mick_S

What a catch by Crawley - lovely QPR Happy Days flag in the background. That was just superb.

Great backdrop to a great catch.Happy day’s indeed.
Ashes thread on 15:35 - Jan 7 with 1137 viewsflynnbo

Great victory. Everyone played a part and good captaincy skills by Root today. Ben Stokes is unbelievable!!
Ashes thread on 15:39 - Jan 7 with 1126 views18StoneOfHoop

Cracking last day exciting cricket from listening to the social on 5 EXTRA.
Tuffers v good.
Has there ever been a better English all-action sporting superstar ginger?
Does the owner of the QPR England flag post on here?
Can anyone screenshot/download a pic of it?

I'll see Sky Sports YouTube 3 min highlights in a day I'll guess.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024