Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91100 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 06:57 - Aug 2 with 1596 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes thread on 19:17 - Aug 1 by robith

I'm usually the embodiment of the Corinthian spirit but Smith was the captain in charge of team where they systemically cheated their way to the top. This was not a one off incident, it was not even inside of the laws like Bodyline was at the time. It was unbashed cheating that robbed teams of a fair shot, and the only thing they showed repentance for was the fact that they got caught.

I'm of the opinion the Smith and Warner in particular should never be allowed to play top level cricket ever again. Certainly if they were Pakistani their feet wouldn't have touched the floor.

I play in a park cricket league and every year the behaviour and attitudes get worse and worse; teams openly cheat and give hooky decisions against you in a way they never would have done 4 or 5 years ago. And why wouldn't they? Smith can openly flout the laws for a year and essentially get a slap on the wrist and lauded when he comes back. After the example New Zealand set in the world cup, f**k Smith. I won't boo him at Lords cos I'm not about that life, but ever run he scores spits in the face of cricket

Lets face it they were cheating in the last Ashes series, just didn't get caught.

Very convenient the bans ending just before the world cup and Ashes. It stinks.
Ashes thread on 07:20 - Aug 2 with 1554 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 20:09 - Aug 1 by Tonto

I dislike Warner far more than Smith...

But Smith dealt with it far better than Warner who looked scrambled.

Smith got them out of jail today. But the fieldnpostions at the end were just wrong.

Not looking good for England I'm afraid. Anderson injured, probably out for the whole series. But the main issue is Smith. We seem to have no idea how to get him out. When you have that situation it means that, as yesterday showed, it doesn't matter how cheaply you get the other main batters out the Aussies will always get a decent score because the tail enders only have to keep the ball out and stick around with Smith, and by only facing one or two balls an over the chances of knocking them over diminish massively. We need Root to be our version of Smith but I'm not sure he is up to it.
Ashes thread on 08:07 - Aug 2 with 1531 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 07:20 - Aug 2 by jonno

Not looking good for England I'm afraid. Anderson injured, probably out for the whole series. But the main issue is Smith. We seem to have no idea how to get him out. When you have that situation it means that, as yesterday showed, it doesn't matter how cheaply you get the other main batters out the Aussies will always get a decent score because the tail enders only have to keep the ball out and stick around with Smith, and by only facing one or two balls an over the chances of knocking them over diminish massively. We need Root to be our version of Smith but I'm not sure he is up to it.

You can't say yet for sure if Anderson is missing the rest of the series - but obviously some one has dropped a ball on this one, although I suppose if you ask him if he's fit to play and he says 'Yes' then it's difficult to leave him out unless medical evidence suggests otherwise.

Could have been a different story with Archer's pace, I suppose he will get his chance in the next Test.

Just hope England can bat sensibly today.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes thread on 10:08 - Aug 2 with 1493 viewsrobith

Ashes thread on 06:57 - Aug 2 by SydneyRs

Lets face it they were cheating in the last Ashes series, just didn't get caught.

Very convenient the bans ending just before the world cup and Ashes. It stinks.

Compare and contrast Starc in that series with Strac since he hasn't has access to a sandpapered ball.

Last Ashes he was reversing it dead early every game. Now seems unable to do that. What could the difference be????
Ashes thread on 10:09 - Aug 2 with 1490 viewsrobith

Ashes thread on 08:07 - Aug 2 by TheChef

You can't say yet for sure if Anderson is missing the rest of the series - but obviously some one has dropped a ball on this one, although I suppose if you ask him if he's fit to play and he says 'Yes' then it's difficult to leave him out unless medical evidence suggests otherwise.

Could have been a different story with Archer's pace, I suppose he will get his chance in the next Test.

Just hope England can bat sensibly today.

Archer was nursing an injury as well, and the rationale was you couldn't have him and Anderson in the team, both with injury potential. Thankfully.
Ashes thread on 10:13 - Aug 2 with 1483 viewsrobith

Ashes thread on 07:20 - Aug 2 by jonno

What infuriates me about their bowling at Smith is they suddenly abandon the great line and length that brings success and start bowling down leg looking for what, a glove at best, and short dross. Bowl full, good line and length outside off and see how he fidgets his way through that instead of suddenly playing to his strengths
Ashes thread on 10:17 - Aug 2 with 1475 viewsElHoop

Yes Smith did save them from disaster yesterday, at least temporarily, but he shouldn't have been playing I'm afraid. Hopefully we'll put them to the sword today on a decent looking pitch.

Would be good to see the two openers put up a 100 opening partnership before lunch, but maybe that's a bit optimistic. The ball seemed to be coming onto the bat nicely at the close of play so if they get going they could score very quickly this morning. Here's hoping anyway.
Ashes thread on 10:32 - Aug 2 with 1449 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 10:17 - Aug 2 by ElHoop

Yes Smith did save them from disaster yesterday, at least temporarily, but he shouldn't have been playing I'm afraid. Hopefully we'll put them to the sword today on a decent looking pitch.

Would be good to see the two openers put up a 100 opening partnership before lunch, but maybe that's a bit optimistic. The ball seemed to be coming onto the bat nicely at the close of play so if they get going they could score very quickly this morning. Here's hoping anyway.

Yes we would all like to see that but we have all seen too often what is likely to happen. England 60 for 5 at lunch.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 10:59 - Aug 2 with 1427 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 10:32 - Aug 2 by jonno

Yes we would all like to see that but we have all seen too often what is likely to happen. England 60 for 5 at lunch.

I doubt that - I'm expecting a decent lead but we need to get going this morning.
Ashes thread on 11:32 - Aug 2 with 1401 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 10:08 - Aug 2 by robith

Compare and contrast Starc in that series with Strac since he hasn't has access to a sandpapered ball.

Last Ashes he was reversing it dead early every game. Now seems unable to do that. What could the difference be????

"Last Ashes he was reversing it dead early every game. Now seems unable to do that. What could the difference be???? "

"...Starc's speed and swing up front, then his late swerving yorker afterwards..."

England v Australia, 25/6/19
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/report/1144514/england-vs-australia-32n

Straying a bit from the old Corinthian spirit, are we?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 11:33 - Aug 2 with 1399 viewsstowmarketrange

Sorry people but it’s all my fault.I woke up at 11.23 and put the tv on to check the score.The first ball I See is the wicket ball.I’m going back to sleep.
Ashes thread on 12:53 - Aug 2 with 1328 viewsrobith

Ashes thread on 11:32 - Aug 2 by isawqpratwcity

"Last Ashes he was reversing it dead early every game. Now seems unable to do that. What could the difference be???? "

"...Starc's speed and swing up front, then his late swerving yorker afterwards..."

England v Australia, 25/6/19
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/report/1144514/england-vs-australia-32n

Straying a bit from the old Corinthian spirit, are we?

I never said he was a bad bowler, and reversing the ball after 40+ overs is perfectly natural. Under the sandpaper regime he was getting reverse as early as 25 overs
Ashes thread on 13:04 - Aug 2 with 1318 viewsozexile

Not sure Burns plays enough shots to be successful at this level. Time will tell I guess.
Ashes thread on 13:24 - Aug 2 with 1294 viewsElHoop

I think that if Burns gets 100 here then nobody will mind how long it takes.

That was an old school test session and I think that we just about won it.
Ashes thread on 13:31 - Aug 2 with 1280 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 13:24 - Aug 2 by ElHoop

I think that if Burns gets 100 here then nobody will mind how long it takes.

That was an old school test session and I think that we just about won it.

About time we had someone who could bat for time instead of hitting a quick 40 and out.
Ashes thread on 13:45 - Aug 2 with 1267 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 13:31 - Aug 2 by stowmarketrange

About time we had someone who could bat for time instead of hitting a quick 40 and out.

Also, this doesn't look like the sort of pitch on which you want to be chasing a big 4th innings score. We need a lead, however long it takes.
Ashes thread on 14:06 - Aug 2 with 1244 viewsjonno

The 10th umpiring error already and we're only into day 2 as Root is given out LBW when the ball clearly hit the bat first - decision reversed on review. Some shocking umpiring in this game.
Ashes thread on 14:18 - Aug 2 with 1222 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes thread on 14:06 - Aug 2 by jonno

The 10th umpiring error already and we're only into day 2 as Root is given out LBW when the ball clearly hit the bat first - decision reversed on review. Some shocking umpiring in this game.

Almost as shocking as some predictions.

England 60 for 5 at lunch.

(to be fair, I would have made roughly the same prediction on this occasions ;))

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 14:21 - Aug 2 with 1211 viewsClive_Anderson

This seems like the first proper test innings from England in ages. Keeping in and slowly getting the runs, rather than smashing it around and out for 25.
Ashes thread on 14:26 - Aug 2 with 1204 viewsWilloW4

Ashes thread on 10:32 - Aug 2 by jonno

You really are a cricket genius..."England 60 for 5 at lunch.".. At time of writing, England 112 for 1.
Ashes thread on 14:37 - Aug 2 with 1188 viewsDorse

I think we should give Smith some space. He's an adult and if he wants to sandpaper his balls then we should respect his decision, as long as he doesn't do it in public.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ashes thread on 14:53 - Aug 2 with 1160 viewsdistortR

Ashes thread on 14:37 - Aug 2 by Dorse

I think we should give Smith some space. He's an adult and if he wants to sandpaper his balls then we should respect his decision, as long as he doesn't do it in public.

you have to take the rough with the smooth
Ashes thread on 14:53 - Aug 2 with 1158 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 14:26 - Aug 2 by WilloW4

You really are a cricket genius..."England 60 for 5 at lunch.".. At time of writing, England 112 for 1.

Yes - but I'm the only one prepared to make a prediction I notice!
Ashes thread on 14:55 - Aug 2 with 1147 viewsTonto

Ashes thread on 14:53 - Aug 2 by distortR

you have to take the rough with the smooth

That's terrible.

Root and Burns seem to be scoring more easily with a little more I intent but there have been a few close calls.

How did the bails not come off when the ball hit the stump?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ashes thread on 14:59 - Aug 2 with 1139 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 14:55 - Aug 2 by Tonto

That's terrible.

Root and Burns seem to be scoring more easily with a little more I intent but there have been a few close calls.

How did the bails not come off when the ball hit the stump?

Yes, that was yet another example of the ball hitting the stump but the bails remaining in place. Plus there would have been another wicket had the Aussies reviewed another call but they didn't. Could quite easily have been 60 for 3. Fine margins and which as the ball is now getting old and softer we need to cash in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024