Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A day that will live in infamy 20:50 - Jul 21 with 27968 viewscolinallcars

So, it looks like Boris Johnson will be named as next PM tomorrow. This country has hit rock bottom. If you think Theresa May was the worst, then think again.
A day that will live in infamy on 09:05 - Jul 23 with 1780 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A day that will live in infamy on 08:23 - Jul 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Might be wiser, Konk. Don't think they're picking up calls from +44.

The United Kingdom is the Jehovah's Witness of Europe now.
A day that will live in infamy on 09:37 - Jul 23 with 1717 views18StoneOfHoop

A day that will live in infamy on 07:33 - Jul 23 by isawqpratwcity

Good article. All his criticisms of Churchill are well-founded, but the author acknowledges the truth of the winning counter-argument instead:

"Churchill ended the war greatly diminished. He had been extremely popular during it, and would continue to be widely respected for his decision to fight, and his implacable energy in fighting."

Churchill saw the rise of Nazism as an existential threat very early, and at the time of the collapse of the Chamberlain government, he embodied the course of continued opposition to Hitler, while Halifax embodied a conciliatory approach to Hitler's demands. That resistance alone preserved a base from which to fight a Nazi-dominated Europe and ultimately prevented Hitler from winning the war.

I don't know about you, but that achievement allows me to forgive an awful lot and still hold the man in the very highest regard.

Good post IsawHoopsAtWhiteCity
Typical smug sloppy broad brush Old Etonian bodgers Johnson and Rees-Mogg
and their Maggie fan mate Andrew Roberts continually invoking Churchill in speechs,docs broadcasts and articles inaccurately.
They just can't be bothered with the dull accurate factual detail.
Want a small 177 page accurate biography primary on Churchill by a proper bona fide historian?
Try Daily Telegraph's military expert historian John Keegan's excellent 2002 tome.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/17/historian-jacob-rees-mogg-
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 9:49]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

A day that will live in infamy on 09:42 - Jul 23 with 1693 viewsClive_Anderson

Ha ha so now the Guardian and the left hate Churchill as well.

I wonder if there is anything about Britain they actually like now? Stormzy?
A day that will live in infamy on 10:10 - Jul 23 with 1633 viewsessextaxiboy

A day that will live in infamy on 06:42 - Jul 23 by BrianMcCarthy

The CTA does not deal with customs, Essex, hence the negotiations on the border in a post-Brexit world.

"The Common Travel Area does not relate to goods or customs issues. The present movement of goods, the absence of customs posts on the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, and the absence of customs duties between the UK and Ireland comes from both countries’ membership of the European Union."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_mo

I get that . That's why I selected Derbyhoops paragraph on 35000 daily crossings . I took those to mean nontrade crossings by individuals . .
A day that will live in infamy on 10:11 - Jul 23 with 1628 viewsAntti_Heinola

A day that will live in infamy on 09:42 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

all right Katie Hopkins - if you don't like the lefties in your country, you can always leave? As you hate them so much it sounds like you're the one who hates our country. MEGA!

Bare bones.

A day that will live in infamy on 10:20 - Jul 23 with 1608 viewsClive_Anderson

A day that will live in infamy on 10:11 - Jul 23 by Antti_Heinola

all right Katie Hopkins - if you don't like the lefties in your country, you can always leave? As you hate them so much it sounds like you're the one who hates our country. MEGA!

Yes anyone who thinks that stopping Hitler had some sort of merit is clearly a MAGA wearing Trump supporter. And also Katie Hopkins.

That Stormzy is good though isn't he?
A day that will live in infamy on 10:20 - Jul 23 with 1604 viewsBucksRanger

A day that will live in infamy on 10:24 - Jul 23 with 1587 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Touchy ain’t ya!

At the risk of taking you seriously, you can appreciate Churchill for his war contribution while acknowledging the death of millions of East Bengalis, the murder of Trade Unionists, and gassing of Iraqis.

[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 10:26]
Login to get fewer ads

A day that will live in infamy on 10:26 - Jul 23 with 1578 viewsMaggsinho

To be fair the country voted him out the first opportunity they got in 1945 so he wasn't that popular then.
A day that will live in infamy on 10:33 - Jul 23 with 1564 viewsClive_Anderson

I'm wondering whether this retrospective trashing of Churchill is linked to the rise in anti-semitism. It wouldn't surprise me given the noises coming out of the Labour party these days.

Loving the angry down-votes by the way
A day that will live in infamy on 10:42 - Jul 23 with 1533 viewsAntti_Heinola

A day that will live in infamy on 10:20 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

Yes anyone who thinks that stopping Hitler had some sort of merit is clearly a MAGA wearing Trump supporter. And also Katie Hopkins.

Hee hee! Loving the angry replies, Katie!

Bare bones.

A day that will live in infamy on 10:45 - Jul 23 with 1516 viewsLunarJetman

A day that will live in infamy on 10:33 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

I'm wondering whether this retrospective trashing of Churchill is linked to the rise in anti-semitism. It wouldn't surprise me given the noises coming out of the Labour party these days.

Loving the angry down-votes by the way

Nah mate, historians have been reviewing/assessing him for years. It just fits the narrative that its a recent thing from lefties.

Its just that some people think since he was the wartime leader he can only be great when its far more complicated than that.
A day that will live in infamy on 10:54 - Jul 23 with 1490 viewsstowmarketrange

A day that will live in infamy on 08:55 - Jul 23 by Konk

You can never have too many keepers. Like the generation that grew-up with rationing, who now can't bear to see waste, I still live in fear of a 5'8" right-back having to take the gloves after an injury to our keeper. If it was up to me, we'd have at least four keepers on the bench.

We might need 4 keepers on the pitch this season to keep us up.We can push 3 up for when we get a corner,and bring them back again when we concede a corner.
A day that will live in infamy on 11:05 - Jul 23 with 1454 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A day that will live in infamy on 10:54 - Jul 23 by stowmarketrange

We might need 4 keepers on the pitch this season to keep us up.We can push 3 up for when we get a corner,and bring them back again when we concede a corner.

I can't agree with this tactic at all.

No offence. I can see the attraction. But when Tynefield Town used to push Gordon 'Safest Hands in Soccer' Stewart up front for a corner the blithering oaf would invariably grab the bleddy ball with both hands.

We'd be running this risk, times three.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A day that will live in infamy on 11:15 - Jul 23 with 1417 viewsstowmarketrange

A day that will live in infamy on 11:05 - Jul 23 by BrianMcCarthy

No offence. I can see the attraction. But when Tynefield Town used to push Gordon 'Safest Hands in Soccer' Stewart up front for a corner the blithering oaf would invariably grab the bleddy ball with both hands.

Sorry I didn’t think it through did I?
A day that will live in infamy on 11:18 - Jul 23 with 1398 viewsdistortR

A day that will live in infamy on 11:05 - Jul 23 by BrianMcCarthy

"Lumley catches the Ball and offloads to Kelly who moves it on to Barnes who...........Oh my word..... slam dunk hoop goal!"
A day that will live in infamy on 11:25 - Jul 23 with 1376 viewsFDC

A day that will live in infamy on 10:20 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

Oh there he is, everyone's favorite grumpy troll.

Actually you are bit like a crap Katie Hopkins to be fair. But whereas she has mastered the art of channeling and amplifying division via her "oppressed white person" victim narratives, you go for these weird, clumsy dog whistles that aren't really dog whistles and end up just being embarrassing.

D- Must try harder.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 11:25]
A day that will live in infamy on 11:45 - Jul 23 with 1341 viewsClive_Anderson

I'm not trolling, I genuinely believe that a lot of people don't like Britain or its history. It certainly seems that way from what they say. They will continually focus on the negative and ignore or play down the positive.

I also think it is why there was such as massively angry and over the top reaction to it being pointed out, rather than just being casually dismissed, as it clearly touched a nerve.

They are also obviously incapable of discussing it without throwing around abuse. It is literally impossible for them.
A day that will live in infamy on 11:58 - Jul 23 with 1313 viewseasthertsr

A day that will live in infamy on 11:45 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

I'm not trolling, I genuinely believe that a lot of people don't like Britain or its history. It certainly seems that way from what they say. They will continually focus on the negative and ignore or play down the positive.

I also think it is why there was such as massively angry and over the top reaction to it being pointed out, rather than just being casually dismissed, as it clearly touched a nerve.

They are also obviously incapable of discussing it without throwing around abuse. It is literally impossible for them.

Surely in our 'Great' country you can hold any opinion you like so long as it isn't harming anyone? The fact you go on about it means we have free speech and can express our thoughts. Surely you don't want a state where people are unable to criticize present or past regimes? That would be totalitarian country or do you support that?
A day that will live in infamy on 12:06 - Jul 23 with 1285 viewscolinallcars

Confirmed, Johnson next PM. Gawd 'elp us.
A day that will live in infamy on 12:12 - Jul 23 with 1249 viewsClive_Anderson

A day that will live in infamy on 11:58 - Jul 23 by easthertsr

Surely in our 'Great' country you can hold any opinion you like so long as it isn't harming anyone? The fact you go on about it means we have free speech and can express our thoughts. Surely you don't want a state where people are unable to criticize present or past regimes? That would be totalitarian country or do you support that?

I've no idea why you think I'm trying to ban free speech.
A day that will live in infamy on 12:18 - Jul 23 with 1207 viewsRs_Holy

A day that will live in infamy on 12:06 - Jul 23 by colinallcars

Confirmed, Johnson next PM. Gawd 'elp us.

Johnson versus Corbyn at the next election .... Trump versus Clinton-eque
A day that will live in infamy on 12:23 - Jul 23 with 1185 viewsrunningman75

A day that will live in infamy on 12:18 - Jul 23 by Rs_Holy

Johnson versus Corbyn at the next election .... Trump versus Clinton-eque

With the Labour party not benefiting from the Tories demise I am unsure whether Corbyn will be leader at the next election. A week is a long time in politics.
A day that will live in infamy on 12:29 - Jul 23 with 1162 viewsconnell10

Oh god Boris nooooooooooooooo!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

A day that will live in infamy on 12:56 - Jul 23 with 1072 viewsQPR_Jim

A day that will live in infamy on 11:45 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

"They will continually focus on the negative and ignore or play down the positive."

Is it not a given that defeating Hitler and Nazism was a good thing? Does it need to be re-stated every time you talk about Churchill or could you not just take it as a given?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024