Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself 15:01 - Jul 28 with 6322 viewssmegma

The Beeb got stick recently for televising the Netball World Cup. But today they reached a nadir with the BMX World Championships currently on BBC2.

Next on the list , Subbuteo World championships followed by the Tiddlywinks World Cup.
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 15:15 - Jul 28 with 3466 viewsisawqpratwcity

I don't know why anyone should give them grief about broadcasting the Netball World Cup. It's a fantastic event, the pinnacle of women's sport: tough, fast, highly competitive. Much better to watch than a whole load of mainstream televised sport.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 15:22 - Jul 28 with 3437 viewsDavieQPR

Is that the one where everybody has to freeze to let the scorer get really comfortable?
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 15:37 - Jul 28 with 3382 viewsisawqpratwcity

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 15:22 - Jul 28 by DavieQPR

Is that the one where everybody has to freeze to let the scorer get really comfortable?

As opposed to basketball where the over 2 metre tall blokes jump and throw the ball down into the hoop? Yes.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 16:23 - Jul 28 with 3264 viewsingeminate

What wrong with the BMX stuff? Watched it this afternoon, very entertaining. Wouldn’t fancy it myself, but fair play to those who do, it was carnage in the rain.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 16:28 - Jul 28 with 3244 viewsNorthernr

This is the argument about public service broadcasting isn't it?
It used to absolutely do my crust when BBC1 or Five Live would have wall to wall coverage of some nonsense athletics meeting, played on some rundown track in a bit of shitty eastern Europe that used to be Russia in the pouring rain in front of three men and a dog, all while there was a major sporting something going on that people actually gave a sht about somewhere else. But that's what the PSBs are there for isn't it? Covering stuff that commercial rivals would otherwise ignore. The local radio coverage of all the rugby league is absolutely invaluable to the die hard fan, and wouldn't be picked up commercially. It could b argued that them bidding for Premier League highlights or FA Cup games is contrary to what they're there for, because commercial channels would gladly do that for then.
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 19:50 - Jul 28 with 3024 viewsjonno

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 16:28 - Jul 28 by Northernr

This is the argument about public service broadcasting isn't it?
It used to absolutely do my crust when BBC1 or Five Live would have wall to wall coverage of some nonsense athletics meeting, played on some rundown track in a bit of shitty eastern Europe that used to be Russia in the pouring rain in front of three men and a dog, all while there was a major sporting something going on that people actually gave a sht about somewhere else. But that's what the PSBs are there for isn't it? Covering stuff that commercial rivals would otherwise ignore. The local radio coverage of all the rugby league is absolutely invaluable to the die hard fan, and wouldn't be picked up commercially. It could b argued that them bidding for Premier League highlights or FA Cup games is contrary to what they're there for, because commercial channels would gladly do that for then.

All very true of course, but you just know that if the BBC still had the main sports like football, cricket etc. then they would never be televising netball, women's football/cricket etc. in a million years.
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 21:41 - Jul 28 with 2848 viewsAntti_Heinola

back in the day on sportsnight and grandstand the beeb showed tons of minority sports.

Bare bones.

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 22:17 - Jul 28 with 2782 viewsLongsufferingR

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 21:41 - Jul 28 by Antti_Heinola

back in the day on sportsnight and grandstand the beeb showed tons of minority sports.

You're right, they've even showed Rugby League on BBC1!
Login to get fewer ads

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 22:18 - Jul 28 with 2781 viewssmegma

They even show cricket and Scottish football
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 00:29 - Jul 29 with 2676 viewsDavieQPR

BBC only showed this as it included female riders as it meets their PC culture.They show Netball but how many mens minority sports do they show.
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 01:19 - Jul 29 with 2641 viewsBoston

Was the German Grand Prix on the Beeb? Enjoyed it.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 01:25 - Jul 29 with 2642 viewsJigsore

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 00:29 - Jul 29 by DavieQPR

BBC only showed this as it included female riders as it meets their PC culture.They show Netball but how many mens minority sports do they show.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 06:48 - Jul 29 with 2534 viewsKonk

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 00:29 - Jul 29 by DavieQPR

Women make up about half the population. Loads of girls and women play netball or used to play netball and still retain an interest. Some blokes like it too. It might also inspire more girls and women to become more active and start playing the game again. Personally I would sooner have netball on the telly than Formula fu cking one, because if I want to see people driving cars, I can stand on a bridge over the M32. Or maybe the BBC, with it's slashed sports budget, should blow it all to bring us a global event such as Burnley v Southampton twice a year?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 07:33 - Jul 29 with 2492 viewsjonno

No they didnt. Very occasionally on Grandstand it might be something like the Great North Run or the boat race, but it was usually full of Horse Racing and Rugby League, sometimes Union. Or the Olympics once every four years. As for Sportsnight, usually football or boxing. As I say, they are only showing women's football and netball now because they have lost all the main sports, if they were to get those back you can be sure they would drop those minor sports like a hot potato. If they were really that interested in the minor sports then why don't they bring back Grandstand, Sportsnight etc and show them on there? Answer - Because they know that only three men and a dog would be viewing.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 7:34]
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 07:52 - Jul 29 with 2464 viewsKonk

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 07:33 - Jul 29 by jonno

No they didnt. Very occasionally on Grandstand it might be something like the Great North Run or the boat race, but it was usually full of Horse Racing and Rugby League, sometimes Union. Or the Olympics once every four years. As for Sportsnight, usually football or boxing. As I say, they are only showing women's football and netball now because they have lost all the main sports, if they were to get those back you can be sure they would drop those minor sports like a hot potato. If they were really that interested in the minor sports then why don't they bring back Grandstand, Sportsnight etc and show them on there? Answer - Because they know that only three men and a dog would be viewing.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 7:34]

Ski Sunday, Horse of the Year show too - neither of which were exactly mass-participation activities for most of the British population during my childhood. As cricket has showed, if you take it off free-to-air tv, kids participation falls off massively, so it's not unreasonable to suggest if you actually stick women's football and netball on the telly, some girls will be inspired to take the sports up with all the attendant benefits in terms of health. Probably 1/3 of my mates that love cricket aren't from cricket-loving families, but got into it through watching it on the BBC during the school holidays. Viewing figures for Women's football WC were about 7m for the Qtr-final and 11m for the Semi-final, so some people obviously wanted to watch.

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 08:05 - Jul 29 with 2443 viewsjonno

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 07:52 - Jul 29 by Konk

Ski Sunday, Horse of the Year show too - neither of which were exactly mass-participation activities for most of the British population during my childhood. As cricket has showed, if you take it off free-to-air tv, kids participation falls off massively, so it's not unreasonable to suggest if you actually stick women's football and netball on the telly, some girls will be inspired to take the sports up with all the attendant benefits in terms of health. Probably 1/3 of my mates that love cricket aren't from cricket-loving families, but got into it through watching it on the BBC during the school holidays. Viewing figures for Women's football WC were about 7m for the Qtr-final and 11m for the Semi-final, so some people obviously wanted to watch.

Ski Sunday wasn't Grandstand - it was an entirely separate programme. And the Horse Of The Year show wasn't Grandstand either, and as the name suggests it was once a year. I'm not saying that these sports should not be on TV, it's great that they are and it's a massive shame that cricket, in particular, is no longer on mainstream TV in my view. What I am saying is that it is wrong to credit the BBC with championing these sports. They are not doing it for altruistic reasons to publicise the sports concerned - although no doubt they will say they are - but instead purely because they have lost all the mainstream sports and these are relatively cheap to put on. I think those figure for the women's WC matches are obviously due to England playing in them. I don't know the figures but I'll bet they were far fewer for the final when England were not playing!
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 08:11 - Jul 29 with 2429 viewsgobbles

Cricket participation has fallen off massively because they don't play it in schools anymore - unless you go to public school that it.
My nine year old has had one game of "Kwik Cricket" in school all summer term. He seems to play endless dodgeball in PE lessons.
Grandstand and Sportsnight have been massive losses to British sports that are considered "minority".
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 08:18 - Jul 29 with 2415 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I always find it useful to not get angry at things that I am indifferent about but make other people happy.
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 08:33 - Jul 29 with 2393 viewsKonk

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 08:05 - Jul 29 by jonno

Ski Sunday wasn't Grandstand - it was an entirely separate programme. And the Horse Of The Year show wasn't Grandstand either, and as the name suggests it was once a year. I'm not saying that these sports should not be on TV, it's great that they are and it's a massive shame that cricket, in particular, is no longer on mainstream TV in my view. What I am saying is that it is wrong to credit the BBC with championing these sports. They are not doing it for altruistic reasons to publicise the sports concerned - although no doubt they will say they are - but instead purely because they have lost all the mainstream sports and these are relatively cheap to put on. I think those figure for the women's WC matches are obviously due to England playing in them. I don't know the figures but I'll bet they were far fewer for the final when England were not playing!

I know they weren't part of Grandstand - I was highlighting a couple of sports/events that were shown on the BBC when I was a kid. The Women's football WC and the Netball WC aren't even annual events, so I'm not sure having a few dozen hours of coverage every few years is excessive.

Gobbles - we played cricket about four times during my entire time at school. I come from a family of cricket obsessives, so I was always going to play and watch, but I know loads of people who's life-long love of the game started through lying on the sofa, bored, watching the cricket on the BBC, as opposed to playing at school. Family and friends who are involved in club/county cricket say it's now almost unheard of to have kids joining clubs who don't come from cricket-loving families because post 2005, the game's visibility has plummeted in houses without SKY Sports.

If you make a sport visible to kids, it seems reasonable to expect that some of them will be inspired to take it up. Good to see the ECB and Counties going into schools to introduce kids to the game, but a lot of people suspect that showing the game on terrestrial TV would have the biggest impact.

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 08:51 - Jul 29 with 2376 viewsMrSheen

BMX is an Olympic sport, no? Could have been worse, might have been live archery or dressage.

I can remember lots of swimming on Grandstand, and horse-racing, which seems to have subsided to minority sport level despite frequent terrestrial coverage. Not sure I accept the free-to-air = mass participation imperative. How many snooker clubs do you see these days?

Another rare treat you used to get on Grandstand was cyclo-cross which was insanely entertaining in a You’ve Been Framed way, but which I was never inspired to try.
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 09:12 - Jul 29 with 2349 viewsfrancisbowles

Having seen the odd England netball international on tv abroad and the Commonwealth Games, I was really looking forward to the World Cup on BBC.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't show enough of it on the main channels, the early rounds were on the red button and difficult to find. I believe it clashed with Wimbledon.

I think it's a great spectator sport, much more enjoyable than basketball , as you seem to be able to pick out all the movement of the players as they find space within their zone of the court, in order to be able to receive passes. The skills are mainly easy to spot and the constant counters make it a fast and exciting game.
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 09:17 - Jul 29 with 2335 viewsTonto

A lot of this thread seems to be ranting at nothing.

BMX racing is quite quick, lots of spills and thrills and, therefore, quite entertaining.

If you don't like it, there are other channels to watch. they just have adverts in.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 09:22 - Jul 29 with 2324 viewsdistortR

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 08:51 - Jul 29 by MrSheen

BMX is an Olympic sport, no? Could have been worse, might have been live archery or dressage.

I can remember lots of swimming on Grandstand, and horse-racing, which seems to have subsided to minority sport level despite frequent terrestrial coverage. Not sure I accept the free-to-air = mass participation imperative. How many snooker clubs do you see these days?

Another rare treat you used to get on Grandstand was cyclo-cross which was insanely entertaining in a You’ve Been Framed way, but which I was never inspired to try.

brexit, macron intransigent, crecy, phillip intransigent, archery, job done.

#makearcherycompulsory. Wall to wall coverage.

*have to say, having seen a picture of the house of lords, I'm slightly worried about the battle-readiness of our knights.
Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 09:26 - Jul 29 with 2318 viewsKonk

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 08:51 - Jul 29 by MrSheen

I can only speak from experience, but as I say, I have a fair few mates who got into cricket via the BBC coverage, our local cricket club had plenty of kids who weren't from cricket-loving families. My Dad and eldest brother are very heavily involved in local and County cricket and say it's incredibly rare now to have kids coming along unless they have a Dad who plays/has played or at least regularly watched the game.

The Ashes series in 2005, the only people who went to the pub at lunch and to catch the last of the day's play, were myself, a couple of Aussies and a few British lads from Indian or Pakistani families - no-one else was interested. By the fourth and fifth tests, people with no interest in cricket, were coming in on Monday saying they'd watched the whole day's play on Saturday and Sunday. Yes, it was an incredible series, but if it hadn't been on free-to-air, a lot of those people wouldn't have got into it. We had a Dutch mate living with us at the time, he got hooked, started playing the game in London (very badly) and he now lives in Oz, where he continues to play badly and both his kids are cricket mad. The ECB's own figures show participation has plummeted post 2005, I'm not sure that's a co-incidence.

Did most of the country even know the cricket WC was on? We watched the final with friends and even though their kids have zero interest in the game, everyone stopped what they were doing and came and watched for the last hour and one of his sons has now been swatting up on the England team in anticipation of the Ashes. Wouldn't have happened if it wasn't on C4.

Sport on BBC has surpassed itself on 10:02 - Jul 29 with 2275 viewsloftboy

World of sport had the most diverse, cliff diving from Acapulco was my particular favourite.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 11:49]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024