Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'The Athletic UK' 16:21 - Aug 5 with 2631 viewsJigsore

anyone interested in this?

https://pressgazette.co.uk/the-athletic-launches-in-the-uk-with-focus-on-local-c

£4.99 a month did seem steep to me until someone compared it to buying an actual newspaper. They have recruited some very fine journalists too, not sure there'll be much QPR in there though. i'll use the 2 free articles a month to test the waters.

rumour has it they were after Clive but he refused to budge on the graphic sexual imagery and referring to Chelsea 'improperly'

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

'The Athletic UK' on 16:26 - Aug 5 with 2608 viewsCincyHoop

Living in America, I'm already a subscriber to The Athletic and the additional UK coverage is a bonus for me. They currently do not have a QPR specific link, but I imagine it could be due to no designated journo for them at this point. They had a cool article on the transfer window and the weird requests/craziness that have occurred. Only been live for a few days but seem to have plenty of interesting articles on there.

They also had a piece on the financial struggles of Sunderland that I thought was interesting.
'The Athletic UK' on 16:33 - Aug 5 with 2584 viewsDavieQPR

Their only commitment is to covering Prem teams. There is too much competition online which is more up to date and free. A lot of the journalists are from dying local papers.
Prefer The Football League paper which is £2 a week and available in printed format or available to download.
'The Athletic UK' on 16:41 - Aug 5 with 2563 viewsJigsore

'The Athletic UK' on 16:33 - Aug 5 by DavieQPR

Their only commitment is to covering Prem teams. There is too much competition online which is more up to date and free. A lot of the journalists are from dying local papers.
Prefer The Football League paper which is £2 a week and available in printed format or available to download.

they took Phil Hay from the yorkshire evening post, I thought they signalled they were interested in Championship clubs too but maybe you're right

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

'The Athletic UK' on 17:01 - Aug 5 with 2513 viewsNorthernr

'The Athletic UK' on 16:41 - Aug 5 by Jigsore

they took Phil Hay from the yorkshire evening post, I thought they signalled they were interested in Championship clubs too but maybe you're right

I get the impression they've started with a handfull of champ clubs that had big local writers they could poach and had big audiences. as and when subscriptions flow they'll increase. I'll probably keep my powder dry until that happens, as I don't need more Premier League + Leeds in my life, but then again there are already two pieces on there I want to read so maybe I will for that low price.

Nice that somebody is investing in long form written pieces though. Not clickbait, not transfer rumour, not on a website so absolutely festooned with adverts you can't access the thing, not "every word from the press conference we watched on the official site". Proper stuff, for people who can read.

Also, Neil Custis is absolutely furious about it all so it's clearly a brilliant thing.
'The Athletic UK' on 17:08 - Aug 5 with 2501 viewsBuckR

'The Athletic UK' on 17:01 - Aug 5 by Northernr

I get the impression they've started with a handfull of champ clubs that had big local writers they could poach and had big audiences. as and when subscriptions flow they'll increase. I'll probably keep my powder dry until that happens, as I don't need more Premier League + Leeds in my life, but then again there are already two pieces on there I want to read so maybe I will for that low price.

Nice that somebody is investing in long form written pieces though. Not clickbait, not transfer rumour, not on a website so absolutely festooned with adverts you can't access the thing, not "every word from the press conference we watched on the official site". Proper stuff, for people who can read.

Also, Neil Custis is absolutely furious about it all so it's clearly a brilliant thing.

Saw his meltdown on twitter - comedy gold
'The Athletic UK' on 17:12 - Aug 5 with 2499 viewsBAWHoops

Subscribed today and have already read a few articles.
It's very obviously a class above the majority of guff on the internet. It's also laid out nicely as well which makes a huge difference (I'm looking at you Independent website).
Best case in point about how they are going to work is the Maguire transfer. Every website has led with the usual rubbish about it, whilst they have produced an in depth piece about how it happened.
Think it will be well worth the subscription

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

'The Athletic UK' on 17:13 - Aug 5 with 2493 viewsNorthernr

'The Athletic UK' on 17:08 - Aug 5 by BuckR

Fcking fat arrogant mess.
'The Athletic UK' on 17:41 - Aug 5 with 2456 viewsrobith

'The Athletic UK' on 17:01 - Aug 5 by Northernr

His reaction has been

The Athletic just seems to be a lower brow, online version of The Blizzard to these eyes though
Login to get fewer ads

'The Athletic UK' on 02:17 - Aug 6 with 2345 viewstimcocking

Anything which prides itself on covering 'Premier League football' as opposed to football can eff off.
'The Athletic UK' on 03:23 - Aug 6 with 2325 viewssmegma

'The Athletic UK' on 16:33 - Aug 5 by DavieQPR

I only read the Non League Paper as most other press outlets have QPR stories that are freely available literally everywhere.
NLP is £1.50 every Sunday and its a very good read
'The Athletic UK' on 08:35 - Aug 6 with 2208 viewsNorthernr

'The Athletic UK' on 17:08 - Aug 5 by BuckR

He's still at it!
'The Athletic UK' on 09:29 - Aug 6 with 2147 viewsBuckR

'The Athletic UK' on 08:35 - Aug 6 by Northernr

He's still at it!

Obviously someone didn't get a golden ticket!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024