Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Reality Check 21:16 - Aug 17 with 3985 viewspeejaybee

Just what we needed.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

A Reality Check on 21:37 - Aug 17 with 3869 viewsTacticalR

I don't like the sound of this whole 'reality' thing.

Air hostess clique

A Reality Check on 21:37 - Aug 17 with 3869 viewsbosh67

Well, yes but no. But yes. Normally we go away and play relatively submissive football. Today we went away and played some very good football and at times looked like the home team. Our finishing wasn't good enough today and we had a particular error at the back. With a positive mind we can brush it off and continue to grow the style of play. It's good. We have a budget squad that is finally quite well balanced and can hold its own.

I said before this before today's match, we are going to lose games. We may lose a few that we shouldn't but even though we lost today we played some great stuff. We are already playing a style of football that will please fans and given time we will win more than we lose.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 21:38]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

A Reality Check on 21:41 - Aug 17 with 3835 viewspeejaybee

A Reality Check on 21:37 - Aug 17 by TacticalR

I don't like the sound of this whole 'reality' thing.

Its the world we live in.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

A Reality Check on 01:49 - Aug 18 with 3374 viewsBoston

A Reality Check on 21:41 - Aug 17 by peejaybee

Its the world we live in.

Called at my house...I hung up.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A Reality Check on 07:23 - Aug 18 with 3202 viewsjonno

A Reality Check on 21:37 - Aug 17 by bosh67

Well, yes but no. But yes. Normally we go away and play relatively submissive football. Today we went away and played some very good football and at times looked like the home team. Our finishing wasn't good enough today and we had a particular error at the back. With a positive mind we can brush it off and continue to grow the style of play. It's good. We have a budget squad that is finally quite well balanced and can hold its own.

I said before this before today's match, we are going to lose games. We may lose a few that we shouldn't but even though we lost today we played some great stuff. We are already playing a style of football that will please fans and given time we will win more than we lose.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 21:38]

The style of play is much better to watch but there are plenty of problems to be addressed. Defensively we look quite weak - we've yet to keep a clean sheet and don't really look like doing so. We need to work harder out wide to prevent as many crosses coming into the box as possible and we need to always be first to any second balls in and around our own penalty area. And although we are moving the ball quicker and more accurately through the midfield the same problem as last season is still there, the final ball is rarely accurate enough to create a decent chance. The movement off the ball though is much improved on last season. As for Lumley - he's not a great keeper and never will be but he's adequate for a team in our financial position and you must expect occasional mistakes from him unfortunately. The BFG would make us a bit more solid at the back in terms of winning the ball, but it would mean the back line having to drop too deep which would impact the midfield in my view. Bristol were poor for long periods of the game yesterday, in part due to the way we played, but it's too early in the season to know where they stand in comparison to the rest of the division. But based on yesterdays game if they are challenging for promotion then the overall standard in the division is alarmingly low, however it is very early days. They also kicked lumps out of BOS right from the start, not to mention numerous other bits of cheating such as diving and rolling about "injured" in an attempt to get players carded. Disappointing that the officials never really dealt with any of that but instead, as you so often see, as the "home" team they were allowed to pretty much get away with it. I think we will need to understand that, particularly away from home, players like BOS and Eze are going to be targeted for some rough treatment this season without much protection from referees.
A Reality Check on 08:12 - Aug 18 with 3076 viewscaliforniahoop

A Reality Check on 07:23 - Aug 18 by jonno

The style of play is much better to watch but there are plenty of problems to be addressed. Defensively we look quite weak - we've yet to keep a clean sheet and don't really look like doing so. We need to work harder out wide to prevent as many crosses coming into the box as possible and we need to always be first to any second balls in and around our own penalty area. And although we are moving the ball quicker and more accurately through the midfield the same problem as last season is still there, the final ball is rarely accurate enough to create a decent chance. The movement off the ball though is much improved on last season. As for Lumley - he's not a great keeper and never will be but he's adequate for a team in our financial position and you must expect occasional mistakes from him unfortunately. The BFG would make us a bit more solid at the back in terms of winning the ball, but it would mean the back line having to drop too deep which would impact the midfield in my view. Bristol were poor for long periods of the game yesterday, in part due to the way we played, but it's too early in the season to know where they stand in comparison to the rest of the division. But based on yesterdays game if they are challenging for promotion then the overall standard in the division is alarmingly low, however it is very early days. They also kicked lumps out of BOS right from the start, not to mention numerous other bits of cheating such as diving and rolling about "injured" in an attempt to get players carded. Disappointing that the officials never really dealt with any of that but instead, as you so often see, as the "home" team they were allowed to pretty much get away with it. I think we will need to understand that, particularly away from home, players like BOS and Eze are going to be targeted for some rough treatment this season without much protection from referees.

Early days for sure, the funniest comments I have heard and read is the blaming of Lumley for the goals.

Manning is doing well but I would love to see him in CM and either Niko or a fit Wallace at LB.

Amos or Smith not both for the time been?

Need to find a way of getting Wells and or Chair into the team.
A Reality Check on 08:13 - Aug 18 with 3072 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A Reality Check on 07:23 - Aug 18 by jonno

Very good analysis, jonno, and much to think about in what you say.

Personally, I would have subbed BOS as he was on a yellow and for all of his efforts he wasn't producing enough by way of chances for others.

It will be rare, I would imagine and hope, that BOS, Eze, Amos, Smith and Chair all combine to produce so few real chances.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A Reality Check on 09:27 - Aug 18 with 2886 viewsCroydonCaptJack

A Reality Check on 08:13 - Aug 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Very good analysis, jonno, and much to think about in what you say.

Personally, I would have subbed BOS as he was on a yellow and for all of his efforts he wasn't producing enough by way of chances for others.

It will be rare, I would imagine and hope, that BOS, Eze, Amos, Smith and Chair all combine to produce so few real chances.

I thought BOS was our man of the match Brian.
Login to get fewer ads

A Reality Check on 11:12 - Aug 18 with 2591 viewsrsonist

A Reality Check on 08:12 - Aug 18 by californiahoop

Early days for sure, the funniest comments I have heard and read is the blaming of Lumley for the goals.

Manning is doing well but I would love to see him in CM and either Niko or a fit Wallace at LB.

Not only blaming Lumley for the goals but retrospectively "proving" he's a liability and always will be. Baffling.

Even if he were responsible so what? He's young in keeper years and the positives far outweigh the negatives. Smithies dropped worse b0ll0cks occasionally but no one mentions those.

Always say this but if you want a perspective check try naming the keepers in this division you'd swap him for without hesitation that also make business sense as a development asset and see how far you get.
A Reality Check on 12:00 - Aug 18 with 2491 viewsdaveB

I don't think it was a reality check, no one was seriously suggesting this was a top 6 side but it is a good one to watch and I thought we played well yesterday especially in the first half but gave away a really soft second goal which killed us.

To go away and play with some confidence and bravery on the ball was something I've not seen from a QPR side since Warnock was manager and rarely ever seen in years before that. Of course that doesn't always mean we'll win games but it felt like we were always in the game yesterday, even in the last 10 minutes if we had got one back I'd have fancied us to get the draw.

We need to improve in certain areas such as final ball but overall I still feel quite encouraged and excited by this season.
A Reality Check on 12:58 - Aug 18 with 2406 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Niko appears to be going out on loan so I think it's safe to say he's not in the manager's plans. Given the team is conceding every match, I suspect Wallace will be in once fit but it'll be interesting to see who makes way given that Warburton's preferred formation is 4-2-3-1 and Manning is in good nick.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 13:06]
A Reality Check on 13:03 - Aug 18 with 2395 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I don't think a reality check was needed as everyone is aware of the challenges and are realistic about our short-term prospects. I would consider it more of a lesson for the team that good performances will not always yield results if you're not clinical and silly mistakes will be punished at this level.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 13:06]
A Reality Check on 13:15 - Aug 18 with 2365 viewsDannyPaddox

Reality Check. Known in the States as ...

Veracity Plaid.
A Reality Check on 18:38 - Aug 18 with 2171 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A Reality Check on 09:27 - Aug 18 by CroydonCaptJack

I thought BOS was our man of the match Brian.

I thought he was very good to a point, Jack, and there's a lot on his play that was encouraging. But he couldn't get the ball in and many moves ended with him, so he ultimately cost us a lot of attacks despite promising play earlier in those moves, so I thought we needed to either change tack and replace him or perhaps swap wings more.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A Reality Check on 18:58 - Aug 18 with 2132 viewscpgerber

4 games in and no (new) injury worries. That's a positive!
A Reality Check on 20:47 - Aug 18 with 1996 viewsVancouverHoop

A Reality Check on 18:38 - Aug 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought he was very good to a point, Jack, and there's a lot on his play that was encouraging. But he couldn't get the ball in and many moves ended with him, so he ultimately cost us a lot of attacks despite promising play earlier in those moves, so I thought we needed to either change tack and replace him or perhaps swap wings more.

This is a bigger issue than the defence for me. I'm confident our defensive play will improve game over game as the back line get used to each other. It always takes time. It's goal-scoring I'm concerned about. BOS, and Eze, have been brilliant in build up play. However the lack of an accurate final pass from our midfield has, for several seasons, been a real Achilles heel. I thought it had improved, especially in the Stoke match, but now I wonder. Would Chair be an improvement at centre-mid? I dunno.
A Reality Check on 08:19 - Aug 19 with 1729 viewsStoicHoop

The only reality is that we have so far played more attractive football than last season. Rushing to judge/condemn players after 3 and a bit games is ridiculous. Much better just to savour the better periods of play, be realistic about what we might achieve and enjoy the ride. Or at least wait until after 10 games to gauge what our prospects might be
A Reality Check on 11:36 - Aug 19 with 1601 viewsDorse

If Wallace is the preferred option at LB (and let's face it, that's why MW vrought him in) then we could do a whole lot worse than putting Manning and Cameron together in the middle. It might even allow Manning to push further up to support Chair / Eze / BOS / Amos / Scowen / whoever.

I wonder about putting Wells in ahead of Hugill. From the little I've seen of Hugill, his hold-up play is something else. If there is a way of getting them both on the field together, that might work but if we went 352, we'd lose two from 3 of Chair / Eze / BOS. 442 means either playing Chair / Eze as wingers or bringing in Pugh ahead of them.

On the other hand, if Wells can play the lone striker, having back up from a marrauding Chair or Eze in the pocket collecting second phase possession or playing through-balls for him to run onto might be just what the doctor ordered. We've loaned him: doesn't make sense to ignore him. I haven't seen nearly enough to judge.

Having said all of that, it is such a pleasure to actually have a selection headache this season! Thinking back a few seasons, the only selection discussions we had were: 'Why isn't Sandro playing?', 'Why is Karl Henry playing?', 'Why don't we bring back Revel / Taraabt?' etc. This is so much more fun!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

A Reality Check on 11:54 - Aug 19 with 1560 viewsCiderwithRsie

A Reality Check on 20:47 - Aug 18 by VancouverHoop

This is a bigger issue than the defence for me. I'm confident our defensive play will improve game over game as the back line get used to each other. It always takes time. It's goal-scoring I'm concerned about. BOS, and Eze, have been brilliant in build up play. However the lack of an accurate final pass from our midfield has, for several seasons, been a real Achilles heel. I thought it had improved, especially in the Stoke match, but now I wonder. Would Chair be an improvement at centre-mid? I dunno.

Fair point.

If we're going to play this attractive flowing football (as we all want) then it's likely that we'll let in a few even when the defence is playing well. That's OK so long as we score enough.

I think necessarily the jury is out on who our best goal-scorer is likely to be and as fans we need to be patient while that is sorted out. The aim has to be to get to the end of the season with someone who can do the job and who we can get on our books before the start of next season.
A Reality Check on 11:58 - Aug 19 with 1544 viewsCiderwithRsie

Another point: there's going to be selection issues with such a new squad and I suppose most of us expect some of the current starters to make way e.g. Rangel for Kane.

But just because someone doesn't quite deliver now doesn't necessarily mean they should be dropped (as opposed to subbed in-game). Go again but go better is always an option.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024