Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. 11:29 - Aug 21 with 6256 viewsWestbourneR

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/21/eu-to-blame-football-new-handba

I really don't miss this.

His prejudice against foreign players, which I was told was nonsense, makes more and more sense.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 11:32 - Aug 21 with 4921 viewsdaveB

When you watch the clip he doesn't actually blame the EU for the rule change he is talking about UEFA, IFAB etc changing our rule and comparing it to the EU making our laws and us having no say. It's a pretty stupid thing to say but the way it's been reported is ridiculous
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 11:33]
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 11:35 - Aug 21 with 4901 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Before Clive rightly dives in, a couple of things!

1) He never actually says which way he voted. A lot of Remain voters feel the same about respecting the Brexit vote.

2) Voting Brexit or saying what Ollie said doesn't mean you are racist or xenophobic. That attitude rightly pisses Leavers off. Holloway has signed hundreds of foreign players in his career. Some Rangers legends amongst them!

3) You've called Ollie stupid before. Stupid people don't win three promotions and manage in the Premiership.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 11:39]
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 11:47 - Aug 21 with 4833 viewsWestbourneR

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 11:35 - Aug 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

1) He never actually says which way he voted. A lot of Remain voters feel the same about respecting the Brexit vote.

2) Voting Brexit or saying what Ollie said doesn't mean you are racist or xenophobic. That attitude rightly pisses Leavers off. Holloway has signed hundreds of foreign players in his career. Some Rangers legends amongst them!

3) You've called Ollie stupid before. Stupid people don't win three promotions and manage in the Premiership.

1) Ok. Well he's making another fine mess of saying what he means. Again.
2) Never said racist. May feel many are xenophobic yeah. Hundreds of foreign players is a large exaggeration. Who apart from Gino was a Rangers legend? And he took a good long while to put him in the team over - oh yeah - Paul Bruce.
3) I have. Maybe not stupid but dumb. Can't think of a better environment for thick people to prosper than football. He's competing against people who've spent much of their career being hit on the head.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 16:56]

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. (n/t) on 12:08 - Aug 21 with 4747 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 11:47 - Aug 21 by WestbourneR

2) Never said racist. May feel many are xenophobic yeah. Hundreds of foreign players is a large exaggeration. Who apart from Gino was a Rangers legend? And he took a good long while to put him in the team over - oh yeah - Paul Bruce.
3) I have. Maybe not stupid but dumb. Can't think of a better environment for thick people to prosper than football. He's competing against people who've spent much of their career being hit on the head.

[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 12:11]
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:15 - Aug 21 with 4703 viewsMrSheen

Re 2), Danny Shittu? Born in Lagos, 38 caps for Nigeria.
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:22 - Aug 21 with 4665 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:15 - Aug 21 by MrSheen

Re 2), Danny Shittu? Born in Lagos, 38 caps for Nigeria.

I think he actually signed him twice didn't he?
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:26 - Aug 21 with 4650 viewsJigsore

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 11:32 - Aug 21 by daveB

When you watch the clip he doesn't actually blame the EU for the rule change he is talking about UEFA, IFAB etc changing our rule and comparing it to the EU making our laws and us having no say. It's a pretty stupid thing to say but the way it's been reported is ridiculous
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 11:33]

No say? Apart from the home nations all having representatives making IFAB largely British, including David Elleray as the technical director, and the meeting where this was decided in Aberdeen... apart from that...

let's be honest it's a pretty dim thing to say and then somehow bringing Brexit into it?? that's just a multiplier on the 'ill-advised ways to make a point' spinner

please think before you speak Ollie
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 12:27]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:27 - Aug 21 with 4643 viewsflitwickhoop

RE point 2.

Gino replaced Tommy Williams at left back.

Foreign players signed by Holloway that played regularly/semi regularly - Alex Bonnot, Doudou, Aziz Ben Askar, Arthur Gnohere, Georges Santos, Gino Padula, Danny Shittu, Eric Sabin - those are just off the top of my head and that's without including any of the ones that he signed whilst Paladini was here.
Login to get fewer ads

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:36 - Aug 21 with 4597 viewsLongsufferingR

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 11:35 - Aug 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

I beg to differ regarding point 3.

Steve Bruce.
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 13:04 - Aug 21 with 4473 viewsdaveB

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:26 - Aug 21 by Jigsore

No say? Apart from the home nations all having representatives making IFAB largely British, including David Elleray as the technical director, and the meeting where this was decided in Aberdeen... apart from that...

let's be honest it's a pretty dim thing to say and then somehow bringing Brexit into it?? that's just a multiplier on the 'ill-advised ways to make a point' spinner

please think before you speak Ollie
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 12:27]

I agree he was wrong and it was a stupid thing to say, just dispute the stories being reported on multiple outlets which say he accused the EU of making the handball rule which is complete bollocks
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 14:58 - Aug 21 with 4169 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Surely we know by now that a person can be for the finalisation of Brexit and (possibly) be against the institutions of the EU without us making the gargantuan and grossly unfair accusation that he/she is prejudiced against foreigners.

I think any human being deserves better than that, and certainly this one does.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 15:09 - Aug 21 with 4137 viewsjonno

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 14:58 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Surely we know by now that a person can be for the finalisation of Brexit and (possibly) be against the institutions of the EU without us making the gargantuan and grossly unfair accusation that he/she is prejudiced against foreigners.

I think any human being deserves better than that, and certainly this one does.

Well said Brian.
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 15:25 - Aug 21 with 4106 viewsClive_Anderson

I'm sure journalism used to be better than it is now.

It's now almost always complete and utter bllocks.
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 15:28 - Aug 21 with 4095 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 15:25 - Aug 21 by Clive_Anderson

Goebbels agrees with you.

The grass is always greener.

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 15:34 - Aug 21 with 4061 viewskensalriser

Serial offender for opening mouth before engaging brain.

I loved him at the time but I'm not sorry he's not our manager any more.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 15:53 - Aug 21 with 4019 viewsrobith

He'll be hosting Have I Got News For You by the end of the month
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 15:55 - Aug 21 with 3995 viewsdaveB

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 15:25 - Aug 21 by Clive_Anderson

seems to be the standard now, completely miss report on something to create a twitter storm, then publish several clickbait stories with quotes from people saying how terrible it is then in the end post another article clarifying the first one was wrong but by then everyone has moved on and just believes the first story
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 16:55 - Aug 21 with 3918 viewsWestbourneR

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:22 - Aug 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think he actually signed him twice didn't he?

If you're trying to argue that Danny Shittu qualifies as a foreign player you're really scraping the barrel.

I doubt he'd appreciate being referred to as foreign either. Pretty poor taste.

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 17:11 - Aug 21 with 3875 viewsMaggsinho

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 16:55 - Aug 21 by WestbourneR

If you're trying to argue that Danny Shittu qualifies as a foreign player you're really scraping the barrel.

Grew up in East London since he was seven years old so definitely a stretch to describe him as foreign.
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 17:25 - Aug 21 with 3832 viewsPunteR

Standard ollie. He's entitled to his opinion.. Whatever it is.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 18:22 - Aug 21 with 3726 viewsrobith

Biggest surprise is that he didn't blame McLaren tbh
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 18:53 - Aug 21 with 3664 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don’t as it happens, but a xenophobe like the one you have slurred Holloway as would definitely think that Lagos born 35 cap Nigeria international was one.

Totally out of order, and is a prevailing attitude that will probably cause the No Deal I presume you resent.
Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 18:56 - Aug 21 with 3655 viewsFredManRave

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 12:36 - Aug 21 by LongsufferingR

I beg to differ regarding point 3.

Steve Bruce.

How very dare you!

Stupid people don't write literary masterpieces like he has done. And on several occasions.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 19:19 - Aug 21 with 3613 viewspaulparker

Ahh yes the quarterly Ollie bashing is in full swing again
Please can the usual suspects let me know when it’s Warnock turn it’s just so I can give this site a swerve and go and boil my head

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ollie: Never the brightest spark. on 19:20 - Aug 21 with 3613 viewsClive_Anderson

I think the point is that if Holloway is some terrible racist/xenophobe then he's not going to sign a big bloke originally from Nigeria.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024