Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Work 'til you're 75 19:11 - Aug 22 with 9496 viewscolinallcars

Suggested by a right wing think-tank the other day. I thought someone on here might have commented, so I've put it up. Depends on the sort of job. If heavy labouring it'd be work 'til you drop. Then there's the effect it would have on employment prospects for younger workers. Me, I wouldn't mind a few extra years, dunno about 75 though !

Work 'til you're 75 on 15:30 - Aug 23 with 1501 viewsKonk

Work 'til you're 75 on 15:05 - Aug 23 by Lblock

I’m hoping to semi retire as soon as possible
Reckon another year or two max

It’s what to fill the days with that’s the issue hence hoping to keep a bit of freelance work going

Where’s all the stuff my grandparents used to do gone? People throw this word community about but it’s bolloix; there’s no such thing and hasn’t been for decades
Maybe I’ll find it when I move out of West London to a nice pad by the sea

Plenty of community stuff to keep you busy. My parents are 76 and help out an an Alzheimer’s care group, three times a week, help kids with their reading at my old school, my Dad drives a minibus to take old folk round their way to the supermarket a couple of times a week. They both do a lot of fundraising for Street kids in Latin America, my Dad’s the treasurer for his old football club and church and my Mum pops round to a couple of elderly people every week to give them a bit of company/dinner. On top of that, they’re heavily involved in cricket at all levels, and my Dad watches football all over the shop and knows lots of people in North London non-league circles. There’s plenty of stuff you can do to fill your time and help out your neighbours, even in London. I think it does wonders for their mental wellbeing too - very busy and fulfilled lives.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Work 'til you're 75 on 15:48 - Aug 23 with 1456 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It’s what to fill the days with that’s the issue hence hoping to keep a bit of freelance work going

Where’s all the stuff my grandparents used to do gone? People throw this word community about but it’s bolloix; there’s no such thing and hasn’t been for decades

You could make the most of your membership and knock on doors for the Labour Party 😆
Work 'til you're 75 on 15:49 - Aug 23 with 1452 viewsMrSheen

Work 'til you're 75 on 15:30 - Aug 23 by Konk

Plenty of community stuff to keep you busy. My parents are 76 and help out an an Alzheimer’s care group, three times a week, help kids with their reading at my old school, my Dad drives a minibus to take old folk round their way to the supermarket a couple of times a week. They both do a lot of fundraising for Street kids in Latin America, my Dad’s the treasurer for his old football club and church and my Mum pops round to a couple of elderly people every week to give them a bit of company/dinner. On top of that, they’re heavily involved in cricket at all levels, and my Dad watches football all over the shop and knows lots of people in North London non-league circles. There’s plenty of stuff you can do to fill your time and help out your neighbours, even in London. I think it does wonders for their mental wellbeing too - very busy and fulfilled lives.

Excellent, good for them. You don't have to wait for retirement either. Parents of young children have an excuse!
Work 'til you're 75 on 16:01 - Aug 23 with 1433 viewsBoston

My dad was of the opinion that if you worked your life for a pension, then you probably had no life.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Work 'til you're 75 on 16:06 - Aug 23 with 1423 viewspaulparker

Mate the funny thing is me and the Mrs were saying the same thing about how there is no community anymore no one talks to anyone , I talk to the bloke at the top of our cup de sac and 2 doors down but that’s it , it’s very sad in a way

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Work 'til you're 75 on 16:11 - Aug 23 with 1414 viewspaulparker

Work 'til you're 75 on 15:24 - Aug 23 by isawqpratwcity

I'm sure you'll be on here regaling us all with tales of the witty names you made up for people you didn't like.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 15:25]

yeah it’s embarrassing when someone comes on here and makes a t1t of themselves
BTW Have you stopped crying and stamping your feet yet after the cricket World Cup ??

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Work 'til you're 75 on 16:12 - Aug 23 with 1410 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I take people as I find them and have found that if you engage with people they nearly always reciprocate. It is just we live in a world where people do not expect it so do not initiate it.
Work 'til you're 75 on 16:25 - Aug 23 with 1388 viewsridethewave

Work 'til you're 75 on 09:47 - Aug 23 by jonno

Yes, this is that idiot Ian Duncan Smith's idea. The ludicrous reason being put forward is they want to "help older people continue working"! What they really mean is they want to force people to continue to work until they are 75 by preventing them from getting their state pension until that age. Because you cannot be forced to retire now (unless for health reasons) I believe so there is nothing stopping you from continuing to work beyond state pension age except that now you can get your state pension as well as work. The whole idea is a scam to save the government paying out money in pensions in the same way that they stitched up women born in the 1950s by delaying paying them the pensions they were promised. The excuse given for that was that it was a "demographic time bomb" which the "country could not afford". In fact, as the DWP recently admitted, in reality what happened was that the government paid off a chunk of the national debt with money from the NI fund - which is not what NI payments are for.
In terms of moving abroad, I can recommend Cyprus. One of the reasons I chose Cyprus over places such as Spain is that virtually everybody here speaks English and the legal system is based on the British one (most of the lawyers etc. train in the UK), principally because Cyprus used to be a British colony. Other advantages are that you can choose to have your pension income taxed at 5% in Cyprus which, depending on your pension, can be a big saving. In terms of healthcare, Cyprus is in the process of introducing an NHS system which will be free to British ex-pats who are in receipt of the UK state pension. The hospitals here are very good, probably better than the UK. Obviously, moving (or even just retiring) abroad is a big step. If anybody wants further info just PM me, happy to provide it.

With life expectancy markedly higher than they ever have been, it is entirely reasonable to expect the state pension age to go up. In fact it has to.

Not sure about 75, I think that's a bit much but relative to the length of time people are now living it's not as outrageous as it seems.
Login to get fewer ads

Work 'til you're 75 on 16:29 - Aug 23 with 1382 viewsridethewave

Work 'til you're 75 on 13:07 - Aug 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

The UK average life expectancy is decreasing at the moment and has been on average since 2010.

[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 13:09]

You're misreading that graph mate, it's showing the change in the growth-rate of life expectancy, not change in life expectancy itself. The lines are above zero every year, showing positive changes in life expectancy year-on-year. This graph is showing the rate of those changes.

i.e. the rate of change is slowing, but the change itself is still positive and rising (just not as fast).
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 16:42]
Work 'til you're 75 on 16:36 - Aug 23 with 1364 viewsKonk

Work 'til you're 75 on 15:49 - Aug 23 by MrSheen

Excellent, good for them. You don't have to wait for retirement either. Parents of young children have an excuse!

Exactly. I meant to add that it’s not all one-way. My Mum had a fall earlier this week and fractured her pelvis- I have just spent a couple of days with her and my Dad, and no exaggeration, there must have been 40+ people either calling round or ringing to see what they can do for them in that time. Most of whom they know through some sort of community volunteering.

My Dad always says, “The more you put in, the more you get out”, and I reckon he’s spot on.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Work 'til you're 75 on 16:47 - Aug 23 with 1330 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I just read the whole thread.
For probably 30-40 years this problem has been ignored and avoided by successive governments as being in the 'too difficult' box.It was always going to be a hard sell. The
fact is that over a long period life expectancy has grown so there is an ageing population with a smaller working population to support it. There had to be a shift to get people to start providing towards their own retirements and the auto enrolment has at least started the ball rolling. The retirement age being extended also alleviates the problem. Some on here are laughing at the term 'pension time bomb' but that is exactly what it was/is.
People used to only have a few years after they stopped working before they died. This has massively changed. My Dad is 85 and still going strong for example. The issue had to be addressed. This is an issue in our Country and a bigger one in a lot of other Countries who have a more ageing population than ours.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 16:48]
Work 'til you're 75 on 16:53 - Aug 23 with 1315 viewsLblock

Work 'til you're 75 on 15:24 - Aug 23 by isawqpratwcity

I'm sure you'll be on here regaling us all with tales of the witty names you made up for people you didn't like.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 15:25]

Let me know where you live and I’ll come and move in next door to you.

I reckon I could have a different childish nickname for you for every single day of the year

Have a lovely weekend and don’t burst your piles or anything whilst you spend all that time up there on your high horse

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Work 'til you're 75 on 17:37 - Aug 23 with 1263 viewsPunteR

Like Boston im in the construction industry. I'll be working till i drop. Self employed and never had a pension fund set up. Fak it.! I'll just do cash jobs while getting my state pension beer money...(Weatherspoons of course!).. lol.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Work 'til you're 75 on 18:00 - Aug 23 with 1226 viewsisawqpratwcity

Work 'til you're 75 on 16:11 - Aug 23 by paulparker

yeah it’s embarrassing when someone comes on here and makes a t1t of themselves
BTW Have you stopped crying and stamping your feet yet after the cricket World Cup ??

In case you missed my last review of Warnock:

"Can we just agree on one thing? That Warnock was the last bloke to hand in a season's decent managerial performance here? The trouble was, it finished a full six months before he went."

Did you go 'boil your head' afterwards?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 18:19]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Work 'til you're 75 on 18:02 - Aug 23 with 1222 viewsisawqpratwcity

Work 'til you're 75 on 16:53 - Aug 23 by Lblock

Let me know where you live and I’ll come and move in next door to you.

I reckon I could have a different childish nickname for you for every single day of the year

Have a lovely weekend and don’t burst your piles or anything whilst you spend all that time up there on your high horse

Yep, I'd be reaching for the petrol and matches.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 18:22]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Work 'til you're 75 on 18:37 - Aug 23 with 1163 viewsBoston

Work 'til you're 75 on 16:47 - Aug 23 by CroydonCaptJack

I just read the whole thread.
For probably 30-40 years this problem has been ignored and avoided by successive governments as being in the 'too difficult' box.It was always going to be a hard sell. The
fact is that over a long period life expectancy has grown so there is an ageing population with a smaller working population to support it. There had to be a shift to get people to start providing towards their own retirements and the auto enrolment has at least started the ball rolling. The retirement age being extended also alleviates the problem. Some on here are laughing at the term 'pension time bomb' but that is exactly what it was/is.
People used to only have a few years after they stopped working before they died. This has massively changed. My Dad is 85 and still going strong for example. The issue had to be addressed. This is an issue in our Country and a bigger one in a lot of other Countries who have a more ageing population than ours.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 16:48]

Influenced by those who, like you, thought there was going to a future problem, I decided (and it was difficult), to create my own pension. Long time ago and to be truthful work and other investments have been good to me, so not as important an issue as it might have been.
I advise all who can to start some sort of plan, earlier the better.

Work 'til you're 75 on 23:22 - Aug 23 with 1023 viewsFDC

All the markers of successful adulthood are being made unobtainable for more and more young people-- secure job with disposable income; owning your own home; pension plan -- and now IDS is telling us that unfortunately lots have to forget about having a retirement (of course we all pay into the state pension, but only those that survive to see it--the wealthy mostly--benefit).

Fine, lots of sensible comments about how well sorry but it's not sustainable. Well if that's the case I'm sorry the system doesn't work.You can't keep cancelling the future like this without a reaction at some point.

And as Baz says that's before the small matter of us counting off on one hand the number of years left before we kill off the biosphere completely.
Work 'til you're 75 on 23:52 - Aug 23 with 1003 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Some of the citizens of this country and others are sitting on billions possibly trillions of £s worth of capital located in UK administered territory DOING NOTHING just so it avoids tax and this think tank and complicit ministers are asking you and me to reign it in after 60 years of graft? And to compound it all some of us are looking at each other and saying ‘ those billionaires are right, it’s not sustainable for nurses and brickies to retire at an age we were dying at 40 years ago’.

Do me a favour.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 23:54]
Work 'til you're 75 on 00:10 - Aug 24 with 994 viewsTacticalR

The bizarre thing is that it seems to be considered the highest ethical behaviour to wish for a reduction in living standards of your fellow citizens.

The great paradox is that the people calling for this reduction are usually the same ones promoting the whole nationalist/poppies/'we're all in it together' bullshit.

Air hostess clique

Work 'til you're 75 on 00:26 - Aug 24 with 984 viewsPunteR

Work 'til you're 75 on 23:52 - Aug 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Some of the citizens of this country and others are sitting on billions possibly trillions of £s worth of capital located in UK administered territory DOING NOTHING just so it avoids tax and this think tank and complicit ministers are asking you and me to reign it in after 60 years of graft? And to compound it all some of us are looking at each other and saying ‘ those billionaires are right, it’s not sustainable for nurses and brickies to retire at an age we were dying at 40 years ago’.

Do me a favour.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 23:54]

so whats your political party gonna a do about it?.
Fak all mate is your answer.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Work 'til you're 75 on 01:48 - Aug 24 with 949 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Governments can say what the fck they like but I'll be retiring long before I'm 75.
Work 'til you're 75 on 01:52 - Aug 24 with 948 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Work 'til you're 75 on 11:58 - Aug 23 by jonno

That's the guff the government would have you believe. They could easily afford to pay the pensions if they did not waste billions in other areas.

Moreover they shouldn't be spending that money in the first place; they should be putting that money aside to fund retirement.
Work 'til you're 75 on 01:55 - Aug 24 with 948 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Work 'til you're 75 on 13:58 - Aug 23 by Clive_Anderson

So you've amassed half a million in assets, far more than the previous generation and you think the young who are skint should be taxed higher to give you even more money? On the off chance some of them might inherit something.

I don't really understand this argument.

Ah, one of modern life's little myths; the young are skint.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2019 14:43]
Work 'til you're 75 on 02:05 - Aug 24 with 946 viewsBoston

Hundreds of thousands of British Citizens have left the UK, Baz and many thousands more do every year, most of us having paid taxes and NI contributions and who will never claim a penny of it(myself included). Your comment implies a desire to garnish money from people just because they have it and opt to deposit in an account which you appear uncomfortable with as its outside the UK. I leave cash in accounts in a number of countries around the world, not to evade tax, primarily for convenience and to more easily conduct business in those countries when an opportunity arises.

Work 'til you're 75 on 02:25 - Aug 24 with 938 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Work 'til you're 75 on 13:30 - Aug 23 by Esox_Lucius

"unrealistic free money" are you being deliberately controversial to provoke arguments? 50 years of N.I. contributions to secure a deferred income payment was the deal brokered on pensions when these old people you seem to despise was enacted. They are receiving their own money back NOT having their lifestyle funded by the current generation. If the government back in the day hadn't stolen the N.I. contributions to pay off the National Debt then we could have all retired at 60 without any hardship to future generations. Please direct your ire at the appropriate target before making wild, inaccurate statements.

Hear hear. Working people have invested in their future by making N.I. contributions; their pensions are not funded by the current generation. And even if this were true (and it's not), the current generation could look forward to their retirement being funded by future generations.

The weakness in the system is state pensions for those who haven't worked (i.e. Pension Credit). As they have not contributed, their retirement income is funded by the working. In fact, 47% of UK benefit spending goes on state pensions of £74.22bn a year, more than the £48.2bn the UK spends on servicing its debt. That is "free money" but, as usual, politicians are afraid to tackle our growing dependency culture. Far easier instead to blame life expectancy and raise the retirement age.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024