Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woke 18:21 - Aug 24 with 7149 viewsqprxtc

Reading Cilves preview and much fun it was but this word ‘woke’.

I’ve only really noticed it recently and seems to me to be one of those buzzwords that I bleed I g hate because I think it’s having a go at me and makes me think that everything believe in and think is w@nkish.

Bloody stupid word for something that is anti human being. This wish for perfectionism in us that is unachievable and just adds to the cobblers of living.

Woke my ar$e.
Woke on 13:30 - Aug 25 with 1535 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Woke on 01:16 - Aug 25 by timcocking

?

What does it mean?

Never heard of it, don't know what on Earth it's supposed to mean. Can't imagine i'll ever be using such an ugly word, even if i do manage to find out what it means? A woke Dad? Absolutely mystified.

Googled it. Disappointing. First person i hear using that word in real life, i'm gonna give them a pan straight in the head.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 1:21]

Yeah, let's smoke any folk using woke!
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 13:31]
Woke on 13:40 - Aug 25 with 1520 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Woke on 09:36 - Aug 25 by FDC

It was used a lot in the Black Lives Matter movement to mean "aware" e.g. to educate oneself, to be politically aware and to understand the dynamics of racism in the US. More generally people sometimes use it to mean "aware of social justice issues", but since white people started using it it's mostly used ironically now. When Anna Soubry was being hailed as the Tory rebel who was going to stop Brexit people referred to her as Woke Soubz ironically.

The irony is that anyone educated will know that such terms are grammatically incorrect and therefore won't use them in this way.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 13:40]
Woke on 14:53 - Aug 25 with 1478 viewsWixamsR

Detest the term 'woke' and, sorry Clive, for once didn't enjoy the first part of the article.

The problem with the term woke is that a) it suggests that the person who holds a view was oblivious to it previously, and b) is so often used now to suggest that a person's views aren't legitimate and are pretentious.

99% of the time any use of the word 'woke' will be to describe someone who doesn't share the same opinion, or even if they do, to belittle them and suggest that it is an opinion that they've only just realised when everyone else knew long ago.

I blame the internet
Woke on 22:00 - Aug 26 with 1351 viewsJuzzie

Am I the only person in the world who, until now, has never heard of this use of the word?

To me it’s something that happens after sleep, as in “woke up”.

Our language is going down the drain these days.
Woke on 22:05 - Aug 26 with 1344 viewsGloryHunter

Woke on 12:40 - Aug 25 by DejR_vu

Thanks for the explanation, hadn't heard it before.

So would Brentford be the football equivalent, Woke FC, or have I still got it wrong?

Woking FC
https://www.wokingfc.co.uk/
Woke on 22:08 - Aug 26 with 1339 viewsNortholt_Rs

I woke up with a hardon this morning.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Woke on 22:10 - Aug 26 with 1328 viewscolinallcars

Woke on 22:08 - Aug 26 by Northolt_Rs

Did you take a picture of it ?
Woke on 22:10 - Aug 26 with 1324 viewsBoston

It must be all the rage in Australia, every match there's always some of them come on 'ere saying they just woke up for the game.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Woke on 22:12 - Aug 26 with 1322 viewsGloryHunter

Woke on 22:00 - Aug 26 by Juzzie

Am I the only person in the world who, until now, has never heard of this use of the word?

Every generation thinks that young people are corrupting the language with their slang. And the young people are doing it deliberately, of course. I recommend "Diary of a Nobody", published in 1892, in which Mr Pooter constantly berates his son for his language and dress sense. A timeless classic.
Woke on 22:13 - Aug 26 with 1319 viewsNortholt_Rs

Woke on 22:10 - Aug 26 by colinallcars

Did you take a picture of it ?

Nope....and no I am not going to send you another one! Bloody picture collectors!!!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Woke on 22:20 - Aug 26 with 1311 viewsWokingR

Woke on 22:13 - Aug 26 by Northolt_Rs

Nope....and no I am not going to send you another one! Bloody picture collectors!!!

I've still got some of your old ones but Clive won't let me post that sort of thing anymore.
I'd never heard of Woke either.
Woke on 22:25 - Aug 26 with 1306 viewscolinallcars

Woke on 22:12 - Aug 26 by GloryHunter

Every generation thinks that young people are corrupting the language with their slang. And the young people are doing it deliberately, of course. I recommend "Diary of a Nobody", published in 1892, in which Mr Pooter constantly berates his son for his language and dress sense. A timeless classic.

A wonderful book. I also have it on audiobook with Arthur Lowe narrating.
Woke on 23:17 - Aug 26 with 1273 viewsJuzzie

Woke on 22:12 - Aug 26 by GloryHunter

True, but how many times can it be diluted before it becomes an incoherent mess?
Woke on 01:21 - Aug 27 with 1233 viewsGroveR

Woke on 22:08 - Aug 26 by Northolt_Rs

Picture of a large impressive hardon for dyslexics.

Woke on 09:49 - Aug 27 with 1162 viewsJohnMcCo

I really like woke, it feels like a deliberate grammatical mistake and a nice play on language. Plus an amusing piss take.
The one I hate is snowflake, which essentially seems to be the default reaction from thickos when someone is being a bleeding heart or sensitive.
Woke on 09:59 - Aug 27 with 1157 viewsSnipper

Woke on 22:00 - Aug 26 by Juzzie

I’d never heard of it in the context Clive was using.

When I was reading his match preview, I was thinking what the hell is he on about.
Woke on 10:00 - Aug 27 with 1154 viewsdannyblue

Woke on 23:17 - Aug 26 by Juzzie

True, but how many times can it be diluted before it becomes an incoherent mess?

Language has been going strong for tens of thousands of years so should be ok
Woke on 10:03 - Aug 27 with 1148 viewsEsox_Lucius

English is a dynamic and ever evolving language. Embrace it. There's always Urban Dictionary for words you aren't sure about.

The grass is always greener.

Woke on 10:12 - Aug 27 with 1130 viewsPommyhoop

Woke on 10:03 - Aug 27 by Esox_Lucius

English is a dynamic and ever evolving language. Embrace it. There's always Urban Dictionary for words you aren't sure about.

Indeed..
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=felching

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Woke on 11:00 - Aug 27 with 1088 viewsdenhamhoop2

Having just read the urban meaning of it my mental image of the guy on the train evoking Viz's Modern Parents may well have been correct.
Basically a pretentious prannet more concerned with "being seen to do the right thing" than actually do the Right Thing.
Clive has more self -control than me especially whilst drinking sense I would have been reported for my intemperate language in front of a impressionable child
Woke on 11:12 - Aug 27 with 1077 viewsMick_S

Woke on 10:12 - Aug 27 by Pommyhoop

Indeed..
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=felching

Imagine that coming home on the train after football.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Woke on 11:51 - Aug 27 with 1038 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Never 'ad this trouble wi' Robert Newton.
https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/08/27/the-unbearable-wokeness-of-tarantinos-c

Yo Ho!
Woke on 11:54 - Aug 27 with 1031 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I feel I should have an opinion on this (apart from finding it all hilarious).

But i don't. Am I Unwoke?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Woke on 12:13 - Aug 27 with 1002 views2Thomas2Bowles

Woke up one morning half asleep..

Fecking hippies

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Woke on 12:45 - Aug 27 with 947 viewsWilly_WonkR

Woke on 11:54 - Aug 27 by BrianMcCarthy

I feel I should have an opinion on this (apart from finding it all hilarious).

But i don't. Am I Unwoke?

I think that makes you Sleep.

(I don't understand either)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024