Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? 10:18 - Aug 25 with 3393 viewsjohnhoop

There was such a huge boost in terms of the defensive solidity of the team yesterday when Toni Leistner was inserted between Hall and Barbet in a three man back line that I would love to see this formation used regularly. We’ve got the players too make it work, with two natural wing- backs in Manning and Kane, two strikers who complement each other beautifully in Wells and Hugill and talented ball players like Eze, Chair etc to create the chances for them. I really think it could be our most effective formation.
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 10:30 - Aug 25 with 3361 viewsT_Block

Very good point-generally agree a definite improvement
Could have found something there given what we have.
3-5-2 suffers from the diagonal ball in behind weakness which may expose a slowish three at the back.
But yes impressed with the manager.

Or was it just Wigan are poor...

Give it 10 games...
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 10:30 - Aug 25 with 3360 viewsdavman

Nah.

I think that it is an excellent plan B (something we were told Warburton never has) , but we don't mave many to play in the three.

4-2-3-1 is his choice and we should work with that; it gives good shape across the pitch...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 10:36 - Aug 25 with 3331 viewsridethewave

I agree completely. I think it’s clear that whoever plays up front by themselves looks rather isolated, and getting two strikers on the pitch made a huge difference yesterday, as did getting the full backs further up the pitch. Also agree it shores up the defence which has been leaking goals so far.

Thought it was a really positive change and I’d like to see us work with this formation going forward.
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 10:57 - Aug 25 with 3253 viewsstevec

Massive improvement on a woeful first half.

I doubt we’ll see a worse performance down here this season than Wigan’s, look a weak side.

Good we have various options now.
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 11:01 - Aug 25 with 3239 viewsqprxtc

Isn’t 2 4 6 8 Motorway the way to go?
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 13:33 - Aug 25 with 3104 viewsDavieQPR

Maclaren must be crying in his teacup watching a 3-5-2 actually work. Bigger teams will exploit this though so it is really only a sometime alternative choice.
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 13:56 - Aug 25 with 3067 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Leistner added the steel and solidity that's currently missing from the Hall/Barbet partnership. It will be interesting to see whether Warburton runs with this new formation or reverts to his favourite. If the latter, then he'll still need to decide on his best central defensive pair.
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 15:04 - Aug 25 with 2950 viewsfrancisbowles

We need to work on both formations.

Yes it worked for us yesterday and by the end we were comfortable in our lead but Wigan were very poor and almost wilted in the heat when they went behind.

352 makes it hard to fit a winger like BOS into the team.
Login to get fewer ads

3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 15:08 - Aug 25 with 2940 viewscolinallcars

When push comes to shove, it's still eleven v eleven no matter what system you employ. I wouldn't say 3-5-2 is set in stone.
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 15:21 - Aug 25 with 2903 viewsTacticalR

Discussion of some of the shortcomings of 3-5-2 (at least the way we played it) after our home defeat to Huddersfield a couple of years ago:
QPR's second half rally can't prevent predictable outcome - Report by Northernr 12 Feb 2017 14:01
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45074

Air hostess clique

3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 15:22 - Aug 25 with 2900 viewsQPROslo

3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 15:04 - Aug 25 by francisbowles

We need to work on both formations.

Yes it worked for us yesterday and by the end we were comfortable in our lead but Wigan were very poor and almost wilted in the heat when they went behind.

352 makes it hard to fit a winger like BOS into the team.

I'd love to see BOS let loose at wing back.
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 18:40 - Aug 25 with 2739 viewsfrancisbowles

3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 15:22 - Aug 25 by QPROslo

I'd love to see BOS let loose at wing back.

I deliberately didn't go there.

Having seen us try it with wingers in the past it is not a good idea. They have to be defensively aware. It is difficult enough to learn the wing back role without having defended and the modern fullback is virtually a wing back anyway, the way they are pushed so high.

Wayne Fereday was an exception, was coached by genius, was probably the fastest footballer of his time and it was a different game a very long time ago.
3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 19:37 - Aug 25 with 2636 viewsngbqpr

Ideally, even for paupers like us with young'uns and loans all over the squad, you want two players competing for every position, or minimum 3 for every 2 positions, for the rigours of a Championship season.

So...I reckon Manning, Kane & Rangel can all play wing back - but no clue re Wallace.

Not much cover for Barbet / Hall / BFG if the 3 is a regular thing - an untried Masterson, an injury prone, ageing Cameron...

This was the problem when Redknapp bought with one formation in mind, and binned it after 3 games.

I'd stick with 4231, but as mentioned above, great to see Warburton has the Plan B all fans of previous clubs said he never had.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 06:56 - Aug 26 with 2447 viewsQPROslo

3-5-2. Is it the way to go? on 18:40 - Aug 25 by francisbowles

I deliberately didn't go there.

Having seen us try it with wingers in the past it is not a good idea. They have to be defensively aware. It is difficult enough to learn the wing back role without having defended and the modern fullback is virtually a wing back anyway, the way they are pushed so high.

Wayne Fereday was an exception, was coached by genius, was probably the fastest footballer of his time and it was a different game a very long time ago.

You are probably right though some good wide attackers have become decent wing backs, and modern wingers like BOS have to defend too. It's the sort of thing that obviously would need to be tried in practice matches, but BOS is both very strong and quick and if he could play wing back he would be an additional electric fast attacking string to the attacking players who played 2nd half Saturday, rather than a replacement for one of them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024