Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bury FC and the EFL 08:09 - Aug 28 with 11402 viewsNortholt_Rs

Horrible, horrible news for all Bury fans and for the whole town. A complete tragedy. What on earth have the EFL been doing about this situation? How could they allow some w*nker with zero money to buy the club for £1 ???? Perhaps they should’ve taken some of their focus off hounding us over FFP to actually try and protect their member clubs. I am sure many of you are, like me, absolutely gutted for the Bury fans. This could so easily have been QPR FC a few years ago. It is time for the EFL to be ripped apart and to start again. Bury FC (and quite possibly BWFC) will be Shaun Harvey’s legacy.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 8:16]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Bury FC and the EFL on 08:13 - Aug 28 with 5335 viewsWatford_Ranger

Plenty of penniless people have shockingly been allowed into similar positions. Doubt many have wound down 43 companies before being given the keys to a football club though.

It’s a proper lower league working class club. Big away turnouts relative to home support. It’s devastating for the whole area.
Bury FC and the EFL on 08:50 - Aug 28 with 5205 viewsRs_Holy

Its all f***cking wrong and everyone knows it. Something has to change when clubs like Bury and Bolton (Bolton FFS) face expulsion from the League.
The Premier League and Sky (who show the EFL anyway) need to take ownership of the lower pro leagues and distribute the money in a sensible way thats going to help clubs survive. Thats all they want to do, simply survive.
Absolutely bonkers world we live in today.
Bury FC and the EFL on 08:58 - Aug 28 with 5185 viewsRblockPrior

Simply terrible and so sad for the fans and staff connected to the club

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:12 - Aug 28 with 5131 viewsToast_R

Bury FC and the EFL on 08:50 - Aug 28 by Rs_Holy

Its all f***cking wrong and everyone knows it. Something has to change when clubs like Bury and Bolton (Bolton FFS) face expulsion from the League.
The Premier League and Sky (who show the EFL anyway) need to take ownership of the lower pro leagues and distribute the money in a sensible way thats going to help clubs survive. Thats all they want to do, simply survive.
Absolutely bonkers world we live in today.

I reckon it's a little more complicated than simply distributing the wealth. If a League 1 club suddenly got an increase in income of say £2M a season from being part of the EFL, in some cases much like Bury, it would like giving an alcoholic money. They'd simply spend it on making players and their agents rich for little return and their problem of living beyond their means just gets worse.
Bury FC and the EFL on 09:14 - Aug 28 with 5115 viewsNortholt_Rs

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:12 - Aug 28 by Toast_R

I reckon it's a little more complicated than simply distributing the wealth. If a League 1 club suddenly got an increase in income of say £2M a season from being part of the EFL, in some cases much like Bury, it would like giving an alcoholic money. They'd simply spend it on making players and their agents rich for little return and their problem of living beyond their means just gets worse.

But allowing some serial shyster who has zero money to buy the club for £1 was obviously going to end in total disaster. The EFL has to take some responsibility for this surely?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:15 - Aug 28 with 5113 viewsOakR

It is a genuinely depressing state of affairs.

On the whole I don't have much sympathy for clubs getting into financial trouble - I've always thought it must be relatively simple to budget as you tend to have a loyal constant fan base (ie an almost guaranteed revenue stream), but I guess where smaller clubs especially relied on being able to sell players their academies now get cherry picked for virtually nothing and too much money is at the top.

Not sure what the EFL can do, or how you really identify and can legally stop someone taking over a club if all other parties involved agree (that's a genuine question). How do you know they will turn out like some? What do you do if they are the only option on the table?

This could very easily have been Leyton Orient - their previous chairman ran them into the ground, absolutely toxic atmosphere, destroyed the squad, got them relegated out of the League, but now they have someone in who is actually a supporter, and what a turnaround, but that is very hard to find, and does not always work if your put heart over head.

One thing for sure owners and players move on, it's supported always left with the mess.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:22 - Aug 28 with 5079 views00calben

Disgusted by the whole thing to be honest. F,king awful.
Bury FC and the EFL on 09:25 - Aug 28 with 5065 viewsToast_R

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:14 - Aug 28 by Northolt_Rs

But allowing some serial shyster who has zero money to buy the club for £1 was obviously going to end in total disaster. The EFL has to take some responsibility for this surely?

100% they should and hang their heads in shame.

Given that the government almost called a national crisis because Big f*cking Ben wasn't going to chime on NYE for a few years and was obviously going to cause unbearable distress to everyone, they should get involved here too because this will have huge detrimental effect on the psyche of that particular community and a piece of our National Heritage has been lost. I'd like to see them haul the Clubs owner and the EFL over hot coals for this.
Login to get fewer ads

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:33 - Aug 28 with 5021 viewsrunningman75

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/bury-fc-expelled-ef
Bury FC and the EFL on 09:33 - Aug 28 with 5020 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

“I never went to Bury...so for me to walk away from Bury and never go back is a very easy thing to do...I didn’t even know there was a football team called Bury. I’m not a football fan.”

Steve Dale, the last owner of Bury FC, who passed the EFL’s fit and proper person’s test.
Bury FC and the EFL on 09:45 - Aug 28 with 4965 viewsGloucs_R

How is what happened at Bury, which is tragic for their fans, different to what happened with Chester, Halifax, Scarborough, Aldershot please? Any club going pop is terrible but don't recall seeing the same outpouring of grief for any of those I've mentioned and trying to understand if their circumstances were different.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:50 - Aug 28 with 4947 viewsKonk

Desperately sad news. So many clubs have been similarly in the sh it - many that we played regularly in the lower divisions, and it's heart-breaking to see small town, community clubs going to the wall because of sh ithouse owners. If you're lucky, a fan/business person comes along and steadies the ship, as has happened at Boro, Brighton, Orient and Blackpool, but in Bury's tragic case, that hasn't happened. Absolutely gutting - imagine telling your kid that their club has been killed.

Fit and proper persons test - what a fu cking joke.

Name:

Are you sure you have enough money to run a football club? Yes/No

Will you try not to be a complete cu nt and run the club into the ground? Yes/No

I don't know what the answer is - maybe new owners have to put 6 months operating costs on deposit with the league or something - maybe the League and PFA could help with supporters Trust buy-outs on condition that the Trusts have to retain control for x number of years, and repay at a sensible rate? Lord knows. Maybe take-overs from now on have to include some sort of Chelsea Groundholders deal or whatever, to protect club's grounds?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:58 - Aug 28 with 4902 viewsRs_Holy

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:45 - Aug 28 by Gloucs_R

How is what happened at Bury, which is tragic for their fans, different to what happened with Chester, Halifax, Scarborough, Aldershot please? Any club going pop is terrible but don't recall seeing the same outpouring of grief for any of those I've mentioned and trying to understand if their circumstances were different.

maybe its because it looks like it could be 2 clubs at the some time from the 3rd tier of English football plus the words "many other clubs in a similar position" being said... Very worrying that its not an isolated case.
Bury FC and the EFL on 10:04 - Aug 28 with 4868 viewsterryb

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:14 - Aug 28 by Northolt_Rs

Not that it helps, but if he hadn't "bought" the club for £1, Bury would have gone out of business at that time.

While Dale has been a tragedy for the club, it was the previous owner, Day, that has brought about this situation.

[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 10:08]
Bury FC and the EFL on 10:05 - Aug 28 with 4866 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:45 - Aug 28 by Gloucs_R

I remember loads of outpouring for those clubs.

Don’t forgot some of them were ore social media so maybe you just didn’t see it.
Bury FC and the EFL on 10:05 - Aug 28 with 4864 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bury FC and the EFL on 10:04 - Aug 28 by terryb

Not that it helps, but if he hadn't "bought" the club for £1, Bury would have gone out of business at that time.

While Dale has been a tragedy for the club, it was the previous owner, Day, that has brought about this situation.

[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 10:08]

The council should have brought it.
Bury FC and the EFL on 10:08 - Aug 28 with 4852 viewsHayesender

This is an absolute fecking disgrace. The whole EFL needs bringing to book allowing this cretin to take over a football club

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Bury FC and the EFL on 10:23 - Aug 28 with 4761 views2Thomas2Bowles

Think there is a covenant on the Bury ground, can't build on it without a new stadium.

Looks to me that was the reason C&N Sporting Risk pulled out, were they really only interested in that.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 10:31]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Bury FC and the EFL on 10:32 - Aug 28 with 4719 viewsjonno

There has to be something seriously wrong in an industry where some people are making £200k per week plus yet clubs such as Bury and Bolton are going to the wall.
Bury FC and the EFL on 10:39 - Aug 28 with 4680 viewsAntti_Heinola

In most industries the people at the top earn millions but frequently still lay off workers at the other end of the scale regardless (or offer zero hours contracts or whatever), but yes, it's not a healthy state of affairs, is it?

Bare bones.

Bury FC and the EFL on 10:45 - Aug 28 with 4655 viewsizlingtonhoop

Bury FC and the EFL on 10:32 - Aug 28 by jonno

There has to be something seriously wrong in an industry where some people are making £200k per week plus yet clubs such as Bury and Bolton are going to the wall.

Such is the way of entertainment industries.

Acting and Music could be similarly recognised by that disparity.

Just that fewer people get to hear of those that can't continue.
Bury FC and the EFL on 10:46 - Aug 28 with 4654 viewsClive_Anderson

Steve Dale is obviously a scumbag, but the real damage was done by the previous owner who racked up large debts against the stadium which is one of the reasons no one can afford to buy them.
Bury FC and the EFL on 11:08 - Aug 28 with 4574 viewsQPR_John

Somebody can put me right on this but as I see it we run up massive debts but our owners write them off, thus protecting the club, so the FL fine us and Bury run up debts and the owner washes his hands of the club so the FL expel them. You lose some and you lose some.

The FL is simply unfit for purpose so they are hardly in a position to investigate others.
Bury FC and the EFL on 11:23 - Aug 28 with 4525 viewsbosh67

Steve Dale was obviously the wrong person to be running a football club. He took what Day had created, which was a disaster and then sank the Titanic. Dale had plenty of chances to get the club out of it and he somehow resisted most of them because I think it became very clear to him that he had taken over a sinking ship. Whilst I can't condone any behaviour of death threats to him and his family, he has managed to be 'economical with the truth' throughout the process and after being on TalkSport's Jim White show 2 weeks ago insisting he had paid people and that there were buyers, it seemed obvious to me and the presenters that he was simply shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic rather than trying to save the ship.

The EFL really bear the brunt of this. They have continued to fail to make sure clubs can be run by people who are qualified to do so. It always amazes me that we weren't the first to go but fortunately our board has deep pockets and has moved to change the culture. With Dale he blindly sailed the club into the iceberg and the EFL did nothing to try and stop it.

When it comes to fit and proper test it could be argued that this can only be done if the body conducting those tests are fit and proper themselves. I would question an argument that says the EFL are qualified to do so.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Bury FC and the EFL on 11:51 - Aug 28 with 4436 viewsheadhoops

so Bury has gone pop. Who gives a sh it? small time charlies, never won jacksh it. Suck it up.Meanwhile the super soaraway Sky Premier w@nkfest is back Saturday and its live!!!!

Tragic and feel so sorry for all Bury supporters. The EFL shows yet again that it is not fit and proper for purpose.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024